ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old November 14th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #1
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Something to Ponder - Switching Styles.

Over the last while I've thought about the different accidents I've read or heard about. Discounting the "experience levels" or "age" as a contributor, I wonder just how much riding different bikes in one's stable may affect the rider. Does in fact riding "of and on" different style bikes affect your ability to be sharper on one more than another. Cruiser style riding then in the next while switching back to your sportbike. The "3 wheeled (Can Am Spyder type)" for awhile then switching back to sportbike affect your balance and ability to be comfortably aggressive ending up in a low side or whatever. Those with the experience of more than 1 in your garage may be more inclined to answer..... I'd like to hear for anyone that engages in a switch out periodically and feels rusty on one or the other. I'm kinda thinkin this can play a large part in some accidents.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I have rode just about every type of motorycle there is: dirt bike, chopper, cruiser, bagger, large displacement sport bikes and now the Ninja 250. I have found that each type of bike has made me a better rider by having to adapt to each style. I peridicly switch to different style bikes and find the transition very easy. IMHO I think having the experience of different style bikes will make you a better rider.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #3
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I view it from the other side.
Ask any racer what wins races.....Consistancy.
Now I know we arent racers...but....

I honestly feel that time in saddle on a specific bike is much better than flip-flopping around on different bikes. I see people "upgrade" from ninja 250r's all the time, when they still have not figured out all the bike can do. They move up to something bigger, but the little ninja 250 could still out ride them.

You're never gonna actually learn how to ride a bike, unles you actually ride it.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #4
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

I would say that the more miles you have covered is more important than the number of bikes you have ridden. Having said that riding other bikes widens your experience which is never a bad thing. A rider who never rides in the rain and or strong wind is lacking experience and is less of a complete rider. I have seen a number of posts on here saying I ride my 250R on the red line all the time, well fine but don’t try it on a 600 you still have a lot to learn, leave the red line for the track The best thing anyone can do is get out and ride.

Steve

Old November 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #5
Snake

As many others have allready stated. Regardless of the type of bike you ride the #1 thing that will keep you safe is experience, experience, experience and even more experience.

Old November 15th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #6
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I have ridden many different bikes over the years. I think the three things you can do the most to become a great rider is dirtbike, sportbike, and track time. I love cruisers and feel you need to be able control heavy bikes with less braking power and less suspension but if you can ride a dirt bike where you are on the verge of "out of control", ride on a track where you are on the verge of "out of control", you will be able to ride a sport bike or cruiser within complete control. You will know your limits and know how to get back within your limits should you get over your head. The amount of concentration and physical demand on a track or in the woods will make riding on the street a walk in the park.

Old November 15th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #7
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

A rider should develop and expand their skills on a bike they're comfortable and familiar with. They should continue their learning process on that bike (or style of bike) until they've rounded out their overall skills fairly well.

After a rider has a good knowledge of riding techniques, then getting familiar with other riding styles can be a good way to continue to gain motorcycling experience.

Switching between different styles on a regular basis can help because you end up analyzing situations in different ways. You end up developing better skills for analyzing situations.

Any rider on an unfamiliar bike can be a danger. So, whenever someone rides any bike for the first time, even if it's the same model that they own, they should be cautious until they're comfortable with how everything is adjusted.

One danger that some people fall into is boredom. Just because someone's bored with a bike doesn't mean that they've done all of the learning on it that they should. If you're bored, you should probably try doing something differently. Try a different route, a different shift point, a different lean angle. Just don't try them all at once! Whenever you try a different technique, be cautious until you understand how it works and how to use it.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #8
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

I switch out which ride I will have on a daily baisis. Cruiser one day, sport bike the next. The transition is almost seemless to me but I would think it really is because I am on either one on a daily basis. I know how each bike is going to handle and react accordingly without even giving it any thought. Honestly, I would feel confident taking both bikes to the track.

I think it comes down to how confident someone is with their own abilities and time spent can play a big role in that.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #9
addy126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nny View Post
I switch out which ride I will have on a daily baisis. Cruiser one day, sport bike the next. The transition is almost seemless to me but I would think it really is because I am on either one on a daily basis. I know how each bike is going to handle and react accordingly without even giving it any thought. Honestly, I would feel confident taking both bikes to the track.

I think it comes down to how confident someone is with their own abilities and time spent can play a big role in that.
Zach... I was thinking more along your train of thought concerning this. I'm debating grabbing a 2009 Suzuki C50 Sp.Edition (floor clearing price) OTD 7,402.86. Regular OTD was $ 9,527.86. I'm needing a more 2 up bike with a long distance comfort level. Keepin the 250 for in-town and short commuting.

Old November 17th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
Zach... I was thinking more along your train of thought concerning this. I'm debating grabbing a 2009 Suzuki C50 Sp.Edition (floor clearing price) OTD 7,402.86. Regular OTD was $ 9,527.86. I'm needing a more 2 up bike with a long distance comfort level. Keepin the 250 for in-town and short commuting.
As was stated earlier, alot has to do with your own confidence level on the bike you are going to ride. If you know someone that has the same or similar bike as the one you want to buy you may want to ask them if you can ride their bike to see how you feel while riding it. The only way to know is to ride and gain experience/confidence on that style of bike.

Old November 17th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #11
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Riding differnent bikes is a good way to gain experience. Riding the same bike is also a good way to gain experience.

Sitting on the coach rwinging your right wrist and making motor sounds is not a good way to gain experience.

As long as your on a bike and it is moving your getting practice. Of course, if you are not used to a bike, you are more prone to crash. So rack up those miles.

Old November 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #12
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

That is definatley a good price. The only experience I have with any suzuki's (cruiser or sport bike) is here-say from friends. They are very solid bikes. While cruisers will not be up to snuff in performance, if the fit is right you can pack on alot more miles comfortably on the C50. Floorboards are the bomb. I see they come standard on the C50. ..

..eh...instead of me rambling on and on (which I can when it comes to having the two bikes I do) let me just tell you, that you will find the appreciation of having two different styles of rides. They are different animals and each one has its place. I say go for it, especailly with the price.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #13
addy126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
As was stated earlier, alot has to do with your own confidence level on the bike you are going to ride. If you know someone that has the same or similar bike as the one you want to buy you may want to ask them if you can ride their bike to see how you feel while riding it. The only way to know is to ride and gain experience/confidence on that style of bike.
Yep Rick... have done the Kawi Vulcan 900 classic and find it a bit lumbering and top heavish. Noted that the comparable Suzuki 800 C50 feels tighter, less rattle to it, and more centered. Seems to be easy in commuter traffic as well. A peer in the local club I've joined has the M50 and loves it... so its hitting the top of my list alround.

Old November 17th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #14
addy126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nny View Post
That is definatley a good price. The only experience I have with any suzuki's (cruiser or sport bike) is here-say from friends. They are very solid bikes. While cruisers will not be up to snuff in performance, if the fit is right you can pack on alot more miles comfortably on the C50. Floorboards are the bomb. I see they come standard on the C50. ..

..eh...instead of me rambling on and on (which I can when it comes to having the two bikes I do) let me just tell you, that you will find the appreciation of having two different styles of rides. They are different animals and each one has its place. I say go for it, especailly with the price.
Zach I'd read your ramblings all day if its bike related. The more the better, cuz I'm just that interested, never worry about it. Seems the Suzuki has shaken out to be the best for my interest and most certainly the price is right. Aftermarket mods are decently priced so it would be another interesting "pay day" mod project for awhile <grin> Thanks again for responses, it makes my day!