ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old July 24th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #1
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

Name: Franco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2006 Ninja 636

250 vs 636 from a newbie's perspective

I bought a 2006 ZX-6R and I love it! I've had it for two weeks now, and i've started to form some opinions.

first off, changes I like:
-I love the brakes on the 636, they seem much more firm. I trust them a lot--more than I trusted the ninjette's (although that may have something to do with the fact that I dumped the baby ninja while i was still learning how to ride on the street )
-Wider tires are more than just aesthetically pleasing: the 636 is more stable in a turn--where the ninjette feels squirrely, the 636 tracks like it's on rails. This is one of those things bike journalists and reviewers say all the time, but I didn't really understand until I was able to ride both bikes) As a note, I think it's got something to do with better suspension too, but the ride, in my opinion, is smoother.
-Fuel injection.
-the power. I expect to get some flame for this one, but I truly appreciate the power. It's nice to not be completely tapped out of power on the highway. What I was surprised to find is how tame an inline 4 can be in the lower revs--you can ride a 600 the same speed as the 250 at a fraction of the revs and gears, and the power doesn't really get scary until you start working your way up the rev range (it's worth a mention that a PO had a power commander installed and has the power output set to low). it's really nice to ride around town without as many shifts from light to light, makes for a more pleasant commute.
-temp gauge
-clock
-clip ons: this is a personal preference thing, but I took the ninjette out for a quick spin last night and my wrists started hurting--now that I've gotten used to the 636 bars, the 250's bars seem high and at an odd angle. I think it's cause i used to ride a bicycle with drops, so I'm comfy with the more forward posture

Things the ninjette does better:

-The ninjette flicks WAY more easily. the lighter weight, and thinner tires make it insane in corners. It's something I've read over and over again while lurking on these boards, but it's nice to finally understand what everyone's talking about.
-my fuel economy and distance per tank now SUCKS compared to the ninjette and now I have to buy premium gas. ugh.
-I can wind the 636 out a bit, but I can't make it scream like the 250 did around town (and stay within legal speed limits), so in a sense, some of that troublemaker fun has been lost.
-The heat--I thought I knew what heat was when the ninjette put some out onto my ankle from the area P headers. I was wrong. The 636 puts out heat EVERYWHERE. it's a curse and blessing--I don't really stop riding when the weather turns wet or cold, so here's to hoping my legs will be toasty when hot cocoa and gingerbread cookies come back. Until then, it sucks when it's warm out. (not so bad once you're out riding, but from light to light, it can be torturous)
-it's much easier to back the ninjette out of places. the 636 isn't MUCH harder, but I felt the difference.

The 250 is a TON of fun, and I'm super glad to have ridden it first. Being able to ride the 250 first is what allows me to have fun on the 636. I'm more confident in my abilities on two wheels, and I'm less afraid of possible bad outcomes because I've had a taste of them on a more manageable bike. Maybe that makes me a terrible rider, and maybe I have no natural talent, but that hasn't stopped me from learning to ride better and enjoying it in the process. Many people say the 250 is the quintessential learning tool, and it's the truth. When I'm ready to do trackdays, I'll be in the market for another 250. It's almost a must--the ninjette by virtue of not having raw HP to make you seem fast forces you to BE fast in all the ways that actually matter--technique, body positioning, gear position/staying within the power band. I'd track out my 250 right now if I had the cash (and a trailer to take it to the track) but that's just not in the cards for me at the moment. Til then, I'll be learning some things about my 636. I can't afford to keep both bikes, so if anyone needs a ninjette on the cheap in the NoVA area, PM me.
don't hate me!

2012-07-13 23.19.53.jpg 2012-07-13 23.16.08.jpg 2012-06-15 01.08.37.jpg IMG017.jpg

Old July 24th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Nice looking bike! Enjoy responsibly.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #3
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

Name: Roy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

That's a good comparison - well thought out. The 636 is a different beast than my 650, but I can relate to many of the differences going from a 250. The funny thing is that when I read posts like this it makes me wish I still had my 250 to hop on every once in a while just to enjoy the things the 250 does best. Safe riding!
MustangGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #4
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

man, ill be buying my 636 during this off season. but my lil ninja is a pre gen so another big advantage for me is the looks, i love my little ninja but boy is that front ugly.

Old July 26th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #5
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

Name: Roy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

LOL! Yeah, the styling is definitely dated.... guess I should update my profile pic.
MustangGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

The stock breaks are **** on the 636, you will learn so enough the more you ride Get a set of 09+ calipers and master and then you will understand breaking potential

Old July 26th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
You enjoy having more power than the 250?!?!? Blasphemy!
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #8
areifel
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Set the power commander to the maximum and then come give us a holla.
areifel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by areifel View Post
Set the power commander to the maximum and then come give us a holla.

Do you know how a power commander works and what its functions are? Its a fuel mapping system, its not a 1... 2... 3... power group system

Old July 26th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
For real, I'm sure the bike will already do power wheelies even with the power set lower
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #11
areifel
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Okay, i'm joking. But i am curious what MPG you would get if you fuel economy mapped the 636.
areifel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by areifel View Post
Okay, i'm joking. But i am curious what MPG you would get if you fuel economy mapped the 636.
stock gearing, 45+

Old July 26th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #13
codestp202

Good write up! I recently got my gsxr 750, and I agree with most of what you said. However, the ass still gets so sore on both bikes Gel seat is needed in the future. I rode a 636 and it is a sweet bike. Have fun and be safe!

Old July 26th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Looks really good man! I like the color.

I'm a little confused though. Is the 250 squirrely in turns? or is it insane? Not saying the 636 isn't good in turns, just didn't know if this was a case of making yourself feel better about the purchase and down talking the previous bike or if it's just something from the 250 I haven't experienced yet.

Also, you 'have' to use premium in a SS? That sucks.

Old July 26th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #15
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

thanks for the well wishes y'all

@Mark I'm sorry, "squirrely" and "insane" may not have been the best terms to use haha. The point I suppose I was trying to get across is that the 250 will turn in quicker, and responds much more quickly to adjustments mid-turn. So in that way, it seems squirrely compared to the 636 which requires a bit more muscle to adjust mid corner. I also percieve that my entry speed for a turn is higher on the 250 than on the 636.

I'm finding that many of these characteristics that I'm finding out about both bikes are more easily seen with more experience--the more time you have on two wheels in general, and the greater the variety of bikes you ride, the better your understanding. I'd ride every bike I could if time and money allowed, but i'll take the experience as it comes to me

ps one thing I definitely forgot to mention is that the mirrors on the 250 are much better than the 636. like, woah.

Old July 26th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #16
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Ah, ok. That makes sense.

Old July 26th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #17
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookitsfranco View Post
ps one thing I definitely forgot to mention is that the mirrors on the 250 are much better than the 636. like, woah.
Bar ends!

Also, I have posted a HUGE amount of info on the 636 over at zx6r.com

http://zx6r.com/search.php?searchid=423462

Old July 27th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #18
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

I was going to post my thoughts about riding a 600 after the 250 but you summed it up pretty well. And congrats on the new bike! How many miles are on the 636?
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 03:36 PM   #19
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

@Kevin awesome dude, I'm gonna open up an account over there to check out your stuff, thanks for the link!

@brett haha, thanksdude! didn't mean to steal your thunder I bought the bike at just under 18,000 on the ODO

Old August 8th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #20
rcouch358
Toasted.

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
man, ill be buying my 636 during this off season. but my lil ninja is a pre gen so another big advantage for me is the looks, i love my little ninja but boy is that front ugly.
Agreed... I came up next to a pre-gen 250 yesterday, I thought it was a moped! Lol... and I think he thought my '11 was a 600
rcouch358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #21
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

I've done my best to dress mine up with a new paint job some light mods and a underglow, ill post pics when I get home.
Posted via Mobile Device
7oxSin is offline   Reply With Quote