ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old January 26th, 2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Konaunit1
ninjette.org member

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2005 FZ1. 08 DR650, 10 ninjette 250, 03 R6 (race bike)

Fan on a race bike

Building a 2010 for the upcoming race season. Are you guys running fans in your bikes? Just wondering I don't have one on my R6. Thanks!
Konaunit1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #2
ahamay
ninjette.org member

Name: Non-ya

Motorcycle(s): Tree Hundred

I left my fan on the bike only because a buddy who took his off over heated his bike on the starting grid. It was a hot day and someone had a mishap on the sighting lap before the race. Before he realized how long he was gonna sit there the temps got to high and he missed his race.
Interested to see what others are doing but I think the temps get to high in socal to not have the fan.
ahamay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2014, 09:55 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Many delete the fan on dedicated track machines.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2014, 05:53 AM   #4
Konaunit1
ninjette.org member

Thanks! It's pretty rare that the temps get warm enough up here in WA to overheat to quick haha? I might take it off. Not sure that it is enough weight to really get hung up on though.
Thanks!

Old January 27th, 2014, 06:41 AM   #5
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1198s, Triumph D675, Suzuki SV1000s, `08 Ninja 250, `11 Ninja 250, Suzuki GS750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaunit1 View Post
Thanks! It's pretty rare that the temps get warm enough up here in WA to overheat to quick haha? I might take it off. Not sure that it is enough weight to really get hung up on though.
Thanks!
The fan and bracket weight more than you think.

Mine came off both bikes.

Old January 27th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #6
iZapp
former ninja 250'er

Name: Geo

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia 1000R, CRF450, CBR600RR tracktoy, Ninja 250 -- GONE!!!!!

hell i dont even have a fan on my daily driver ('00 Tundra)!
it was damaged when i bought it 5 years ago and i've never replaced it. only been an issue a handful of times since, stuck in traffic/hot day.
but on a racebike, just keep an eye on the temp and if gridded longer than normal, just shut the thing off. problem solved. if you're overheating WHILE moving - you're GOING TOO SLOW!
iZapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #7
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Name: JJ

Motorcycle(s): 2018 Ninja 400 Race Bike (in progress...)

I always take the fans off on my race bikes, never had a problem.
sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #8
Konaunit1
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMoney View Post
The fan and bracket weight more than you think.

Mine came off both bikes.
I will be pulling it off later. Thanks for the info.

Old January 29th, 2014, 08:15 AM   #9
Konaunit1
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZapp View Post
hell i dont even have a fan on my daily driver ('00 Tundra)!
it was damaged when i bought it 5 years ago and i've never replaced it. only been an issue a handful of times since, stuck in traffic/hot day.
but on a racebike, just keep an eye on the temp and if gridded longer than normal, just shut the thing off. problem solved. if you're overheating WHILE moving - you're GOING TOO SLOW!
If i am going that slow on the race track somebody just needs to kick me off the track haha.

Old January 29th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #10
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

The issue comes in more on the cool down lap or when waiting for the flag to drop. However this should not be a big deal. Even removing it on the street would hardly be an issue depending on where you live.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
we run regularly above 100f temps here and most remove the fan. its not needed if you aren't going to be sitting still (i should hope you're not sitting still while racing)

Old January 30th, 2014, 12:34 PM   #12
simook
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Convinced me to remove my fan also. But could someone enlighten me on the benefit of removing the thermostat and housing?
simook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by simook View Post
Convinced me to remove my fan also. But could someone enlighten me on the benefit of removing the thermostat and housing?
if you have trouble overheating because of massive modifications leading to way too much heat being produced overloading the cooling system, removing the thermostat will allow a bit more flow of coolant through the system. it's a bad idea on a regularly functioning engine because the cooling system is adequate enough and having the cooling system always-on by removing the thermostat means that the engine may drop below ideal operating temperature... ideally you have a thermostat with a bipass to maintain coolant flow while still being able to cut out the radiators cooling effect.

not having a smooth transition of cooling effects means that the head and cylinders get heated/cooled back and forth many times which as we know can weaken metal and causes size changes and warping if its not a consistent heating and cooling... in extreme cases you can cause fractures. the thermostat is a clay pellet valve that expands and contracts slowly so you really shouldn't get this type of issue with a working thermostat, but if you have no thermostat and go from 100mph down to 15mph and back to 100mph, the cooling going into the coolant varys drastically and since you have no thermostat to control it with, its more likely to vary temp through a wider range..

basically, unless you have a turbo and are running 19-1 compression, leave the thermostat in. or upgrade to a thermobob (bipass thermostat)

even in the cases i described, the correct solution would be probably a bigger radiator, not removing the thermostat

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 30th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #14
simook
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
if you have trouble overheating because of massive modifications leading to way too much heat being produced overloading the cooling system, removing the thermostat will allow a bit more flow of coolant through the system. it's a bad idea on a regularly functioning engine because the cooling system is adequate enough and having the cooling system always-on by removing the thermostat means that the engine may drop below ideal operating temperature... ideally you have a thermostat with a bipass to maintain coolant flow while still being able to cut out the radiators cooling effect.

not having a smooth transition of cooling effects means that the head and cylinders get heated/cooled back and forth many times which as we know can weaken metal and causes size changes and warping if its not a consistent heating and cooling... in extreme cases you can cause fractures. the thermostat is a clay pellet valve that expands and contracts slowly so you really shouldn't get this type of issue with a working thermostat, but if you have no thermostat and go from 100mph down to 15mph and back to 100mph, the cooling going into the coolant varys drastically and since you have no thermostat to control it with, its more likely to vary temp through a wider range..

basically, unless you have a turbo and are running 19-1 compression, leave the thermostat in. or upgrade to a thermobob (bipass thermostat)

even in the cases i described, the correct solution would be probably a bigger radiator, not removing the thermostat
So for a race only bike...?

Old January 30th, 2014, 01:14 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
for no bike do you remove thermostat.

Old January 30th, 2014, 01:45 PM   #16
simook
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
for no bike do you remove thermostat.
Makes perfect sense to me, I'm just trying to figure out why it seems so many people remove the thermostat.

Old January 30th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by simook View Post
Makes perfect sense to me, I'm just trying to figure out why it seems so many people remove the thermostat.
because they think they know what they are doing

Old January 30th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #18
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Leave it in.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #19
Ben M
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgentz View Post
Leave it in.
...That's what she said
Ben M is offline   Reply With Quote