ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 28th, 2014, 03:48 AM   #41
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azian4lifz View Post
The weather was actually nice considering it was january in virginia (about 50 degrees). I took the inside routes to my friend's house and after I met up with him, we took the highway to a local mall which is about 30 minutes away. While I was entering the highway I did not realized my jacket was unzipped and did not care to stop to zip it up because I was already increasing speed to catch up to my friend on his 600. While going 60+ the wind pushed my jacket back like a superman cape and I was swerving from one lane to the other unintentionally. At that point I was basically holding on to my life gripping the steering hard and slowing down. I saw the first exited on my right and proceed to head towards it. I slowed down and went in for a lean to the right on the curve and ended up going straight onto dirt. Luckily there was no guard railing or I'd be seriously injured.

What I think happened was when I went in for a lean to the right the wind had pushed me left causing me to wobble. I am not so entirely sure it happened way to fast.
Best reason to get a SS, EVVAAAAAAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I copyright this?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old January 28th, 2014, 03:49 AM   #42
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Name: harry

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 2004 Buell XB12s, Honda 110 Elite

Sorry if this hurts anybody's feelerz. The crash has too many fail points to go over them all. A 600 at this point is a hand written invitation to the Darwin Awards.

And yes hell I know what I'm talking about.

Old January 28th, 2014, 08:26 AM   #43
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Good luck and be careful

First off the simple fact that you took off with your jacket unzipped shows you are not taking the riding experience serious enough. ATGATT means you must properly wear the gear. The same situation on a super sport would have been worse because you would not have been excelerating at the point your jacket caused you issues but most likely would have been going faster than your friend and the jacket would have deployed like a parachute. I know you have your mind made up to get a super sport 600 but I encourage you to be careful. The 250 will not uncontrollably spin the rear tire mid corner and will not power wheelie if you hit full throttle too soon. The 600 will. My point is that if you can miss a small detail like zipping your jacket then it can be 1000 times worse on a much more power full bike. I started on a Yamaha 750 and had my first crash 2 weeks later because I hit the throttle mid corner and it pushed wide onto the grass. I don't tell anyone what decisions to make and bigger bikes can be a lot of fun but they require more control than a small bike and the faster you go the more delicate the inputs need to be. Make sure you grab the throttle low so you cant open it fully when the power throws you back. Youtube is full of videos of people crashing from grabbing a big handful of throttle and when the power pulls you back you cannot let off and most 600s will hit nearly 100 mph in first. Just be careful if you buy a 600 until you get many hours in getting used to the power hits that come in the upper rpms

GOOD LUCK with your new bike and post some pictures. This site could use some posts from people who successfully upgrade to a 600. There are plenty of horror stories of crashes so I hope you can post a good report
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #44
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
How is it even possible to ride off without realizing your jacket isn't zipped? Are you in the habit of riding AT ALL with the jacket open?

Apologies if this offends, but that has fail written all over it. Not only for riding half-dressed, but for making a really poor decision in the heat of the moment.

Rather than stop immediately and fix your gear you did what a dog does when it sees a squirrel... your brain switched off and you started chasing your buddy.

You were then going too fast for the circumstances because you crashed and don't even have a clear idea of why. (You charged the corner and were going too fast for your skill level, btw, if your description is accurate.)

A supersport requires clear thinking if you want to keep the rubber side down. If you can't manage the amount of focus required to zip up your clothing, well... just think about it. Be realistic. That accident was 100 percent avoidable. What would have happened on a bike with four times the horsepower?

Of the two bikes you mentioned, the zzr is a bit less frantic and a fine choice.

I can speak only for myself... I think you can upgrade successfully. I think you'll love it. But I also think you're on the path to having something really tragic happen if you don't take a safety-first mindset. Your description of that crash clearly indicates that you don't have that mindset yet.

When you do upgrade, I humbly suggest you ride that new bike like it wants to kill you. Because it does.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #45
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by azian4lifz View Post
He likes the idea of riding a motorcycle but has never ridden one. He saves his money for gear and tries to flex at school by carrying his helmet around. He is a poser but I am just glad he is learning to ride on the 250 instead of crashing a expensive bike. I still keep in touch with him and the bike and so far it looks like he's crashed it 4 more times. Oh well it's all part of the learning process
I'm with allanoue, kid needs the riding skills section and an msf course.

edit: reading further into the thread, I would have to say that I can't fully support the idea of a 600 in your case. I understand that if you're going to do it then it's going to happen no matter what I say but you showed an inability to control a 250 which is a scooter next to a 600 in terms of hp a lack of self control as well as a lack of consideration that your jacket was unzipped which effectively removes the entire safety equation out of the jacket and (as you experienced) turns it into a hazard. Now I'm not saying that being an immature idiot is necessarily a bad thing since I catch myself being one from time to time, what I am saying though is that being an immature idiot and believing that your mistakes mean you should get something that will punish you far more quickly and severely is a potentially fatal idea. I understand and in several cases support moving up to a larger bike despite this but not a supersport, something more in the way of sport touring (650cc parallel twin ninja/sv) would be reasonable in my eyes. I have been in a similar situation as you when my 250's engine blew and I weighed the pros and cons of what bike to get and the biggest factor in my decision was "what kind of person am I on a bike" had I answered with something along the lines of "mature, responsible, safety conscious" then I would be riding a cbr600rr right now. However, I answered "immature, irresponsible, safety conscious" which was 1 out of 3 points and decided to get a 300 (fuel injection was the reason to not get another 250, and there were a few things I didn't like on the 650)
From your own posts, I'd say that you have 0 of the 3 qualifying points that I used on myself to get a 600cc supersport.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #46
Ducati999

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
How is it even possible to ride off without realizing your jacket isn't zipped? Are you in the habit of riding AT ALL with the jacket open?

Apologies if this offends, but that has fail written all over it. Not only for riding half-dressed, but for making a really poor decision in the heat of the moment.

Rather than stop immediately and fix your gear you did what a dog does when it sees a squirrel... your brain switched off and you started chasing your buddy.

You were then going too fast for the circumstances because you crashed and don't even have a clear idea of why. (You charged the corner and were going too fast for your skill level, btw, if your description is accurate.)

A supersport requires clear thinking if you want to keep the rubber side down. If you can't manage the amount of focus required to zip up your clothing, well... just think about it. Be realistic. That accident was 100 percent avoidable. What would have happened on a bike with four times the horsepower?

Of the two bikes you mentioned, the zzr is a bit less frantic and a fine choice.

I can speak only for myself... I think you can upgrade successfully. I think you'll love it. But I also think you're on the path to having something really tragic happen if you don't take a safety-first mindset. Your description of that crash clearly indicates that you don't have that mindset yet.

When you do upgrade, I humbly suggest you ride that new bike like it wants to kill you. Because it does.
Again I agree with what ADouglas says. You can survive the upgrade in power but be very aware that the mistakes that caused you to crash the small bike will be amplified by the power of the bigger bike. More weight, power and new handling geometry will require more attention to what you are doing and what the bike is doing. I was lucky starting with a 750 (which in 1989 had less power than a modern 600) and made it thru to today. I am not trying to discourage the OP from upgrading but I do want him to realize that this decision should not be made too quickly. Consider the fact that in less than a year you have crashed twice (possibly 3 times) with only 30hp to deal with just ask your self what would have happened with 110? I love my Ducati 999 but I ride my SV650 and NINJA 250 more often because I don't have to be as cautious (don't read that as reckless just not as big a threat to me) with the smaller disp bikes. The first time you ride a 600 in the rain and lean over with the throttle half open and the rear starts to spin and slide you don't get a lot of time to do the right thing to correct it before bad things happen. Again Good luck and think long and hard before you jump!

Old January 28th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #47
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

So how bad was the crash anyways? Are we just talking about a low speed slide in a parking lot or something? I get having the kid owning responsibility for crashing and you gave him full warning but you handed the keys over to someone that you full well knew didn't know how to ride .

Old January 28th, 2014, 11:04 AM   #48
adouglas
Cat herder

Sirref.

Dude.

TL. DR.

Punctuation is a wonderful invention. You might want to look into it.

Old January 28th, 2014, 11:06 AM   #49
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Bye!
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 02:04 PM   #50
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Sirref.

Dude.

TL. DR.

It's been pointed out by numerous people, my writing sucks almost as much as my thought processes. It may be better if I edit my posts but I can't really edit every post I type so this stream of consciousness ends up happening.

Old January 28th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #51
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 600RR, 2009 250r

Quote:
You may have learned a lot here but you're still VERY MUCH a novice.

There is no substitute for riding. Six months on a bike does not an accomplished rider make.

This is coming from a guy who bought his first bike in 1987.

Only you can decide if you're ready for a higher performance bike, but consider this: Crashing at 60 on a docile bike is a BIG warning sign that you might need to chill just a bit and learn more.

Supersports are huge fun. They can also be really dangerous if you're not ready. Be smart, be careful, ride within your own limits. The bike can do a LOT more than you can and if you step too far over the line it can kill you deader than Julius Caesar.

Be a perpetual student. I learn stuff here all the time, and I've been riding for what, 27 years?

I encourage you to stick around. Something you might find is that the supersport forums are full of idiots. There are people who know what they're talking about, but the average IQ is not that high and the attitudes towards safety tend to be... well, you decide.

I decided to stick around because this is a forum worth visiting.

Besides, it's become my mission in life to keep the Count to a Million thread going.
Everything you said in your statement is true, but I definitely agree with staying around here. I still have my 250, but if I ever get another bike I will still be here. Even though I don't post much here, I am ALWAYS on this forum lurking
Dredgshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #52
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredgshadow View Post
I am ALWAYS on this forum lurking

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #53
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Sirref.

Dude.

TL. DR.

Sirref's posts are like....

@Sirref lol mang!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old January 28th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #54
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16

Do you man, try to be as safe as possible... You may wanna try and get the 600 detuned a bit for a while

Old January 28th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #55
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Sirref's posts are like....

@Sirref lol mang!
unfortunately I can see that as being the case. If we ever meet IRL remind me to buy you a beer

Old January 28th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #56
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

I'm genuinely curious. What did you think people were going to say after a story like that? It really doesn't matter what you ride, you'll ride it according to your abilities and comfort level.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #57
terasu12
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesus

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

great to hear your ok after that 60 mph crash, what armor wearing you wearing?
terasu12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #58
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by terasu12 View Post
great to hear your ok after that 60 mph crash, what armor wearing you wearing?
The kind that was unzipped.

Old January 29th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #59
Ducati999

Quote:
The kind that was unzipped.
Again we think a lot alike you just beat me to it. Do you live in Mass I would love to go ride with you sometime.

Old January 30th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #60
adouglas
Cat herder

I'm in SW Connecticut. Going to be doing track days at Thompson. Bring your duc!

Old January 31st, 2014, 05:03 AM   #61
Ducati999

Quote:
I'm in SW Connecticut. Going to be doing track days at Thompson. Bring your duc!
I will be doing Thompson this year also so I will see you there! This will be my first track day so I will be on the SV. I don't want to risk lumping up my baby till I have some (track) experience under my belt but I am trying to get my wife to come along so I can also track the Ninja 250. I may bring the Duke to the second track day if I can afford more than one trip this year

Old January 31st, 2014, 05:33 AM   #62
adouglas
Cat herder

Do you know about the March 15 Thompson event? A chance to check out the new facility, learn more about track days and walk the track. Free. Hit up the Tony's Track Days site. I'm doing the full day, including the afternoon seminar (which does cost a little).

I've got another thread around here about doing a track day in this area. Can't remember atm if I put it in Rides or At Speed. Look around and chime in.

Old January 31st, 2014, 02:31 PM   #63
Ducati999

Quote:
Do you know about the March 15 Thompson event? A chance to check out the new facility, learn more about track days and walk the track. Free. Hit up the Tony's Track Days site. I'm doing the full day, including the afternoon seminar (which does cost a little).

I've got another thread around here about doing a track day in this area. Can't remember atm if I put it in Rides or At Speed. Look around and chime in.
Once again Thanks for the info. I believe you will see me there (just got some $$$ in the mail). I will see if I can sign up

Old January 31st, 2014, 03:25 PM   #64
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I feel your pain homie... I just rode with my pockets unzipped, wow!!!

Old January 31st, 2014, 04:21 PM   #65
astricklin
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

The worst thing about leaving pockets unzipped

Old January 31st, 2014, 04:25 PM   #66
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
^ Two words, phone case.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2014, 04:37 PM   #67
Ducati999

Quote:
Originally Posted by astricklin View Post
The worst thing about leaving pockets unzipped

Wow you broke it better than I have ever seen. You should turn pro! I worked as a cell phone tech for 7 years and that is the most broken screen I have seen

Old January 31st, 2014, 04:56 PM   #68
astricklin
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

It was in a case. It fell out on the freeway on-ramp and was then run over by several cars. I lucked out and found it so it got replaced.

Old January 31st, 2014, 05:32 PM   #69
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I think i lose all sortsa stuff outa my pocket... So far nothing important

Old January 31st, 2014, 06:44 PM   #70
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

If that was on the back of the phone, and designed that way on purpose, it would actually look pretty cool. I don't think OP is gona continue to lurk these forums anymore

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2014, 07:03 PM   #71
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
If that was on the back of the phone, and designed that way on purpose, it would actually look pretty cool. I don't think OP is gona continue to lurk these forums anymore

whaaaaaaa I thought he loved us

Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:10 PM   #72
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
found video of OP riding with his jacket open

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:19 PM   #73
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
LMFAO!

Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:15 PM   #74
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
^ Two words, phone case.
Two words, Not enough.

edit: LMAO @ trenchcoat guy

Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:26 PM   #75
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
Two words, Not enough.
Depends what case it is and how you store it.

Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:28 PM   #76
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
Depends what case it is and how you store it.
If he stored it right the problem would not have occurred. That said, an otter box can help but if the phone got that damaged without one it would still take damage with one, albeit less.

Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:29 PM   #77
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Alex.s well played