ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 24th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #41
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Well, i've got a Mercedes A-Class which I don't use, I am in the process of converting it to electric, if that goes well, it'll cost me 2c a mile to drive, and will be significantly less polluting than any other vehicle on the road as it'll be 100% nuclear powered.

Who else can say they have a nuclear powered car? It's practically a u-boat.

You don't get these in the states I don't believe, they're slightly bigger than a smart car.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #42
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
It's practically a u-boat.

If you ever get around to selling it, that had better make the for-sale ad.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 24th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #43
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

Camaro ZL1. Not practical and not the fastest but I like muscle cars.
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #44
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

I have a BRZ and still routinely choose the bike to commute in. It is getting cold though, and without practical cold weather gear that might have to change unless I want to deal with defrosting every time I arrive. So I guess brz + cold = off bike.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #45
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirubhaiambani View Post
I like muscle cars.
Lol, that's more of a track/sports car than a pure muscle car. They made that Camaro able to turn.

Old October 24th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #46
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

If I had to pick a car that I could swap for the 250, was relatively inexpensive to buy and run, and was just as fun, I would go for a Porsche 944. They are crazy cheap to get one in good shape (many under $10000), and because thousands upon thousands of them were made, there are lots of spare parts and third party goodies out there to keep it running and make it your own. They are eye-catching, and if you take care of it, people will think you're a rock star even though it cost you less than their brand new Honda Fit did. I had a 1992 Porsche 968 for 10 years (2002-2012) and it was an awesome, fun, reliable, good-looking car.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #47
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Lol, that's more of a track/sports car than a pure muscle car. They made that Camaro able to turn.
True. I like the ZL1 as it would allow me to do decently quick quarter miles, trackdays, commute and also run small errands. Jack of all trades and master of none.

On a smaller budget, I'd choose one of the following:
Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Mazda Speed3
Ford Fiesta ST
Subaru BRZ
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #48
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Bikes are the kings of commuter traffic in CA metro areas due to lane splitting. If I had to be off the bike I would go for a luxury/sporty car. Jaguars are my personal favorite, so for me an XJ or an XF. If you're stuck in traffic you might as well be comfortable and in something that looks great.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #49
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
I had basically no torque steer on my MCS. factory optional mechanical LSD probably helped with that, as did the electronic steering and upgraded suspension/bushings. torque steer typically has to do with un-equal length axles (and mushy bushings), which IIRC the MCS has equal length. I used to have an accord, so I know what torque steer is... I highly recommend going on a test drive if you never have, there really is no other car that compares. the GTI feals like a boat compared to the MCS.
yeah my experience is speed3 only honestly
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #50
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Budget? Chevy Volt. No budget? Tesla Roadster, hands-down. I've kept really good tabs on my transportation habits and with a Volt it's unlikely that I'd burn more than fifty gallons of gasoline a year.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #51
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
2000 Nissan maxima

I've come to prefer AC and a cold drink for a 30mi freeway commute
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 25th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #52
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Get the car and keep the bike. I don't commute on the bike, its just for joy riding. I'm usually too tired in the morning to deal with gearing up and the fact I'd have to change into uniform when I get there. I just take the Boss or Explorer to work.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #53
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
2000 Nissan maxima

I've come to prefer AC and a cold drink for a 30mi freeway commute
Open your modular and take a swig of the monster on the gyro in front of you. While moving. Both problems solved!
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #54
jackliu239
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

I have a SUV and a bike, short ride = bike, long ride = SUV. But what 4 wheel would make my give up my bike forever... none, unless they come out with a car that have ability to do line split.
jackliu239 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #55
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I want to build a drift fiesta. That should be good fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fiesta.jpg (157.9 KB, 5 views)
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #56
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

I've owned 2 S2000s in the past, including an S2000 CR. I'd let my bike go if I could get an S2K, especially the CR.

If I can be unrealistic, though, I'd let go of my bike for a Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SV with a 6-speed manual transmission.
Lil_Green_Demon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 02:25 AM   #57
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Green_Demon View Post
If I can be unrealistic, though, I'd let go of my bike for a Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SV with a 6-speed manual transmission.
They still make a proper manual transmission? I believe Ferrari has officially stopped offering a manual transmission option.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I think we're losing something with modern "driver's cars". Formula 1 can keep their dual clutch paddle shifters. I'm actually not trying to race anyone and I enjoy shifting myself. Even the damn steering is electronic now. Ridiculous. Anyway, My choice is the first generation Porsche Cayman. I think it's the prettiest modern car out there. I'm keeping my Ninjette for now, but I'm going to try to save up for a used early year Cayman. They go for about 30K to 35K. I also want a Triumph Daytona 675R. These go for 15K new. However, I can't afford (literally and figuratively) to buy both. Leaning towards the car.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 05:46 AM   #58
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer View Post
They still make a proper manual transmission? I believe Ferrari has officially stopped offering a manual transmission option.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I think we're losing something with modern "driver's cars". Formula 1 can keep their dual clutch paddle shifters. I'm actually not trying to race anyone and I enjoy shifting myself. Even the damn steering is electronic now. Ridiculous. Anyway, My choice is the first generation Porsche Cayman. I think it's the prettiest modern car out there. I'm keeping my Ninjette for now, but I'm going to try to save up for a used early year Cayman. They go for about 30K to 35K. I also want a Triumph Daytona 675R. These go for 15K new. However, I can't afford (literally and figuratively) to buy both. Leaning towards the car.
if you can keep the bike then go for the car and get the daytona later on. having a car and a bike is sick, particularly if it's a really luxurious car like a Cayman.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 05:50 AM   #59
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Quote:

I know Lambo doesn't offer a manual transmission on its Murcielago replacement aka the Aventador. I believe the Lambo Gallardo still has a traditional man's tick shift offered, but it wouldn't shock me if they stopped.
And I 100% agree with you. I love the standard tansmission. It's too bad most people don't even know how to drive a stick shift.
Lil_Green_Demon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 08:14 AM   #60
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Green_Demon View Post
It's too bad most people don't even know how to drive a stick shift.
Jimmy Fallon joked recently that a manual transmission was an anti-theft device. I'm not sure if his writers came up with that, but it's funny and kind of true.

Old October 31st, 2013, 08:16 AM   #61
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Jimmy Fallon joked recently that a manual transmission was an anti-theft device. I'm not sure if his writers came up with that, but it's funny and kind of true.
doesn't hurt that most of the people in america who drive standard shift tend to appreciate vehicles enough to know what it would feel like to have their precious car stolen from them.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 08:53 AM   #62
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

Quote:
Personally, it'd take something pretty expensive to get me off my bike, as I already own a very fun commuter car. It'd take a 911 gt3, exige, GTR, M1, etc. I have owned some pretty fun commuter cars in my past and bought them both before I owned the motorcycle to help stave off my craving.

if you're just looking for a fun car to drive that has good gas mileage, I'd recommend considering:
Mini Cooper S
WRX
Mazdaspeed 3
GTI (or R32 or Gulf R)
MX-5
Focus ST
lancer ralliart
Genesis Coupe
BRZ/FRS
s2k

I have owned a Cooper S and now the WRX. The cooper S was a freaking spectacularly fun commuter. I regularly got 35+ mpg. After upgrading the suspension bits, I had a car that handled like it was on rails. It wasn't the quickest car on the road, but it'd outrun most, and could certainly out handle 99%. It was comfortable, shifter felt amazing, very responsive steering, and got looks from people all the time. In my opinion, there is no more fun, high mpg, commuter car out there. I miss it at times.

I switched to the WRX for my fun commuter because I had some mechanical issues with the MCS. The WRX is much faster, but doesn't handle as well. Gas mileage is worse (25mpg average), but imo, the tradeoff in power and AWD was worth it as I spend a lot of time driving in the snow.

I am a big proponent of the Mini Cooper S. I have had a couple and loved them! I now have a Mini Countryman S and while it's not bad (we needed a bigger car so we could actually take guests in our car), it's not quite the same "fun" as the normal Mini Cooper S... But for being their SUV style model, I still get 30-32 MPG's...

I also have a 2013 Mustang GT that is purely for fun (well, I do take it to work every once in a while, but it's rare). And of course the little 250...

Old October 31st, 2013, 08:56 AM   #63
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Quote:
It really is true. The manual transmission is dying off and not many car companies carry a manual model anymore. Lot of the higher end cars are going to the Flappy Paddle style shifting...

That being said, we have a Ranger truck, Mini, Mustang and the 250 which are all manual transmissions. The only "auto" we own is the wife's Vespa!

The only way to keep the manual transmissions around is to keep buying them... Sadly, us manual shifting enthusiasts are becoming a smaller and smaller group...

Old October 31st, 2013, 09:17 AM   #64
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknyght View Post
I am a big proponent of the Mini Cooper S. I have had a couple and loved them! I now have a Mini Countryman S and while it's not bad (we needed a bigger car so we could actually take guests in our car), it's not quite the same "fun" as the normal Mini Cooper S... But for being their SUV style model, I still get 30-32 MPG's...

I also have a 2013 Mustang GT that is purely for fun (well, I do take it to work every once in a while, but it's rare). And of course the little 250...
nice to see another MCS proponent! I loved that little car, and if it wasn't for the cold start/chain tensioner issues, I'd probably still have it. Although, I can't complain about my wrx. Only typical maintenance work done (aside from mods), putting down almost 300whp, daily driven car that'll take me anywhere in any weather. The countryman tempted me with the 4wd system they have, but they were a ways out from releasing that when I got rid of the MCS.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 09:24 AM   #65
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Quote:
nice to see another MCS proponent! I loved that little car, and if it wasn't for the cold start/chain tensioner issues, I'd probably still have it. Although, I can't complain about my wrx. Only typical maintenance work done (aside from mods), putting down almost 300whp, daily driven car that'll take me anywhere in any weather. The countryman tempted me with the 4wd system they have, but they were a ways out from releasing that when I got rid of the MCS.
We have the 4WD version and it makes the car heavy... If you don't need it (like for snow or whatever), I wouldn't recommend it. I'd say the Countryman is a compromise, as it still handles like a Mini, but doesn't have that quick get up and go like its smaller brother. If we didn't need a car with extra (useable) seats, I'd definitely go back to a normal MCS.

And my Mustang was 420 HP... Before I put in a CAI and tuned it... I love that car.

Old October 31st, 2013, 09:43 AM   #66
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Manual shift 4dawin! I love my 07 Mustang with the factory Hurst package. Totally sucks in the snow & ice though. lol
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 09:51 AM   #67
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Manual shift 4dawin! I love my 07 Mustang with the factory Hurst package. Totally sucks in the snow & ice though. lol
Yeah, rear wheel, high HP and snow/ice is not a great combination...

Old October 31st, 2013, 12:59 PM   #68
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknyght View Post
And my Mustang was 420 HP... Before I put in a CAI and tuned it... I love that car.
yea, no contest between the wrx and a modified GT... until you throw in inclimate weather.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 01:24 PM   #69
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

one of those F3 cars like Lauda and Hunt had early on in Rush. Or the KTM track car.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 02:28 PM   #70
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Well since my bike went down over a year ago, I've been dabbling in 4 wheels.

First was a 77 El Camino with too much rust to haul bikes. Sold that because of the rust, and bought a 73 El Camino SS that ran like a top. Til the engine blew from what I assume was abuse or lack of maintenance by the PO. After that and being car-less all while still waiting for my bike, I bought an 81 Vette and 78 Ranchero. Been tinkering with those for about 6 months and I thoroughly enjoy it. I've been daily driving the Ranchero, and despite the fuel economy (carb too big, I get ~10-13), size, and poor wet driveability, I love it.

But if I were to have to give commuting on a bike, it would likely be for something old, small, and unique.

My friend has an old Fiat Spyder, and I really dig it, so I'd probably lean towards a euro roadster. I really like the series 1 Alfa Spider. I probably couldn't resist hopping up the engine either. Oh and it would have to be a 'vert too.

Old October 31st, 2013, 04:30 PM   #71
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

It's working

Old October 31st, 2013, 04:40 PM   #72
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I think we're losing something with modern "driver's cars". Formula 1 can keep their dual clutch paddle shifters. I'm actually not trying to race anyone and I enjoy shifting myself. Even the damn steering is electronic now. Ridiculous.
You'd enjoy an Ariel Atom 3. Power nothing. Except maybe power slides.

Old October 31st, 2013, 04:41 PM   #73
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe the Ant View Post
It's working
heyyyy that's cheating mr take-a-picture-of-my-own-car

Don't think I wouldn't recognize that beauty.

Old October 31st, 2013, 04:59 PM   #74
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14

Dealing with traffic would be no problem.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2013, 07:48 PM   #75
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You'd enjoy an Ariel Atom 3. Power nothing. Except maybe power slides.
I've seen the videos on that car. While I admire the purity, and I'm sure it would be a blast to drive, I'm not into the naked chassis look, similarly to why I don't like naked bikes. Here's my current 'fun' car that I own (my daily driver is a 2007 Civic)

Mine is the white one (1969 VW Karmann Ghia). The rat-rod Beetle is owned by a coworker of mine.

I'm so fed up with the current selection, with the exception of the Cayman and a couple more, that I'm motivated to design my own car. I'm not trained in art or design, but I am an Engineer, so it will take some more iterations but here's my 1st attempt. This is a 3D model I made recently:

Old October 31st, 2013, 11:44 PM   #76
Klint
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Special Edition

Haha. I was excited to see a couple lotus on page 1. Hardly anyone even knows they exist!

The only car I drive if I'm not riding my bike

If i need to not have helmet hair = Lotus
If looks don't matter= Bike!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 1st, 2013, 01:24 AM   #77
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

Mine is a Ferrari f430 Scuderia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ferrari-F430-Scuderia-cars-2798278-1280-1024 (Copy).jpg (57.5 KB, 0 views)
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2013, 07:02 AM   #78
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

evo x, but i dont think any cage could keep me off a bike for long.

Old November 1st, 2013, 09:31 AM   #79
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

I've been a car guy forever and I love my car but I'll never get rid of the bike.

When I tell them about the 250 I ride and they start trying to talk ****, they immediately stop when I ask if they wanna go in the Boss. Weird how that works :P
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2013, 10:01 PM   #80
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

I'm torn between the FRS/BRZ and the WRX, anyone have any experiences with both?