ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old May 17th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #1
jmora3
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jose

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

i fell

So I went out for lunch and having found a road with a few twists I took it. The road twist right left right. On the left turn I realized I was too far out so I decided I would straighten out. I applied the brakes before being fully upright lost control and fell to the right. I was going about 40 in a 20mph turn. The bike is ok but I bent he foot brake lever, scratched the right side and mirror and broke my front turn signal. Will post pictures later...
jmora3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #2
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13

What about you? You ok?

In hindsight, do you think it might have been a better idea to counter-steer more, increasing your lean angle and then trust your bike can get you out of the bad situation you put it in? (I know from experience that in practise it can be hard to commit to a tighter turn than you feel comfortable doing)
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
The bike can be fixed, how are you? All Ok? Gear do it's job?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #4
jmora3
ninjette.org newbie

Akima
I'm ok. It was just funny coming back to the office and explaining torn pants. Yes it would have been better to lean more and accelerate. In fact just following through would have likely worked out. I'm still just a noob with a whole month of driving under my belt...
csmith12
Yeah the gear definitely did its job. I don't have boots yet but this incident made me want to get some ASAP. I always feel like riding with just my helmet (no gloves or jacket) but this made me realize the importance of always wearing gear. I was a hole quarter mile from work...

Thanks guys for the concern/well wishes and advice

Old May 17th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #5
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Not to beat up on you after your crash, but it sounds like you were trying to ride beyond your skill-set ("I'm still just a noob with a whole month of driving under my belt...") & doing 40mph in a 20mph turn. ATGATT & ride within your limits!

Be careful & have fun.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #6
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Sorry to read about your accident bro. That sh!t happens to us all and you can now dust your shoulders and proclaim with pride that you're part of those who've felt the pain, unlike those that have yet to feel it. Learn to respect the bike and your limits and don't let this discourage you from riding.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #7
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Blue 08 250 - Blue Magic

Definitely glad you were able to get up and walk away. Bikes can be fixed! And by the number of parts websites and parts available out here, remember it happens to lots of us. Do not beat your self up.

Use this as a learning lesson - and it sounds like you're on the right track. You've identified what you did wrong and what you can do to get better. And make sure you give your mind time to heal, those wounds can be the deepest! (ask me how I know)

If you have not already, look into a MSF. After my crash it rebuilt the foundation I thought I had with the RIGHT skills. It will still take many years and many more miles to truly be the rider I want to be, but getting the right foundation (if you haven't already) will help you achieve your riding goals.

Glad you are alright bud!
RiderOnTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #8
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Blue 08 250 - Blue Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
Sorry to read about your accident bro. That sh!t happens to us all and you can now dust your shoulders and proclaim with pride that you're part of those who've felt the pain, unlike those that have yet to feel it. Learn to respect the bike and your limits and don't let this discourage you from riding.
Perfectly said.
RiderOnTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #9
jmora3
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks everyone. I will definitely be more careful. And I did take the MSF BRC. I think I will go over my handbook.
Happy riding everyone

Old May 18th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #10
CalvinAmI
ninjette.org member

Name: CalvinAmI

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r [RED] & '06 Ninja 250 [WHITE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
Perfectly said.
Agreed. Well put EK.
CalvinAmI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #11
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@jmora3: lotsa people here (including me) are fond of Keith Code's books and films. You might like to start by watching his film Keith Code Twist of the Wrist 2. It's very informative and I find it funny too
akima is offline   Reply With Quote