Old October 10th, 2016, 04:20 PM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
CB500X Colors and Curves - Oct 2016

Link to original page on YouTube.

This weekend I made arrangements to head out into the mountains with a friend on Twitter. Been meaning to go riding with her and finally got a chance.

We met at Maverik on Saturday for fill up on gas and snacks and then did a warm up run up Spooner and down Kingsbury. Amazing day for a ride, crisp enough to put the heat on just a touch when moving but when stopped it was warm enough to shed gear. I led Lora around the back side of Carson Valley, following the route J had shown me until we got up into the canyon.

Last time I was at the pie place, I had noticed a road heading down towards the river. Today I turned to go down that road, following the narrow bumpy winding path towards the river where there was a lot of gold in the trees already. Several photographers were at the bridge taking pictures of the trees so we just slipped by them and parked in the dirt turn around and then took our own pictures before heading back up towards the highway.

I told Lora that there was one spot of the road where the trees were usually brilliant and a nice wide pullover was available so we could stop and take pictures. As we climbed, passing by clumps of aspens ranging from sunlight yellow to a rich deep gold, she later told me that she kept thinking, "Now? No, now. Oh, must be now. Wait, definitely now. Now?" Then we crested the hill I wanted and the grove revealed itself to have turned a blazing orange, with red and gold highlights. The camera caught her saying "Oh my God!" as she parked. Now.

We continued up to Carson Pass before turning and heading back down as we made our way to Ebbetts Pass. I was somewhat worried as she'd been taking corners slow and careful and Ebbetts certainly is not for a novice rider. I advised her to take it careful, go wide around blind corners so she can see and give herself room to react because it's only a one lane road. Luckily, traffic was light and we made it up with no trouble. I did love her giddy laugh when she made it to the summit.

Back down to Monitor Pass where I told her I'd meet her at the summit. Monitor is like a second home after the roads around Virginia City and I know them well enough to take it at a comfortable speed. Easy peasy up to the top for a snack and water break. Lora joined me after a short wait and we chatted while watching the numerous riders going up and down the pass. This is one of the more popular routes. Off we went down the mountain to Antelope Valley below.

Made our way to Walker Burger for lunch before I had to call our day short. Got a new stereo in the Subaru and needed to go pay for it before the shop closed up. Loved my day and I do look forward to riding with her again.

Sunday had no real plans beyond stopping at the Aerostich Pop Up event in Reno where I managed to get out of with only buying one thing. Gawds I would love to be rich! Between them and RevZilla I would be SET!

Opted to go round off my tires after too much flat riding and headed over the mountain to Foresthill. Thought about taking the dirt road out of Soda Springs, but not quite that brave when solo.. yet! I swear if I ever move to California I would be arrested for assault charges within a week after beating some driver senseless with a speed limit sign. Go the speed limit morons! Oh, and GET THE %#^* OUT OF THE LEFT LANE. *think happy thoughts think happy thoughts*

I needed a remote mountain road after that experience and Mosquito Ridge Road is perfect. Tight, twisty, narrow, and if you aren't 100% focused... well, watch the video for what the terrain is like. I'd been up this road a few times before, more times down it, and this was the first time I was solo and feeling in tune with the bike (oh first time here with the Honda). I skated up that mountain and loved the smooth feeling going back and forth in the curves.

Took a short break at French Meadows, cruised and bumped along 11 Pines Rd, and then got to Wentworth Springs Rd. Today I was in the zone! Hit every single turn perfectly and just rolled it back and forth smoothly. I was seriously bummed when I found out my camera died before that, it felt beautiful. Ah well. Another break at Ice House Resort where a very chatty fellow told me many many stories that just covered a wide variety of topics without much of a breath in between. He was fun to listen to.

Continued on down the mountain, headed up 50 towards Tahoe, and then came down Spooner again on my way home to Carson. Perfect end to a perfect weekend.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2016, 10:33 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2016, 06:47 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote