ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old March 5th, 2017, 02:47 PM   #1
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I'll NEVER be an ex-ninjette, but...

I've added a couple of other bikes over the years since I bought my '05 EX-250. The latest addition to the garage (my 3rd bike if you include the '05 EX-250) is a '99 Honda VFR800.

Oh the joy of the 5th-Generation VFR800!

The 5th-Generation VFR is without at doubt the "best of the breed" in the VFR world. The 5th generation is the best because it's the first VFR equipped with Honda PGM-FI (Programmed Fuel Injection) while also being the last VFR equipped with the gear-driven camshafts. The combination of the FI and gear-driven camshafts is perfect.

Honda PGM-FI is sooooooo well developed. The ECU has 2 separate fueling maps for each of the 4 cylinders. 8 total fueling maps, that's a complex system. And it works very well.

And all of the VFRs have that wonderful 90 degree V-4 engine with a flat-plane crankshaft configuration that gives such a nice rumble (1/2 of a Ferrari V-8).

Here's the forum thread that documents my refurbishment of the VFR over on VFRworld.com: http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthrea...-my-99-5th-Gen

Lots of pictures in the thread, I took that bike almost completely apart. Now it's back together and its great.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old March 5th, 2017, 08:06 PM   #2
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
a BIG +1 here, 5th is da bomb

look familiar? mine as it sits end of 2016 season

Previously saw your thread over at VFRW, great job!

Just two nitpics....runs hot in heavy, stop and go traffic and the factory charging system terribly unreliable...Mosfet and wiring required. Loosing (eliminating) the troublesome connector between stator and regulator too.

Once corrected....an awesome machine.

Congrats and good luck with yours!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vfr2016.jpg (243.1 KB, 11 views)
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #3
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #4
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
a BIG +1 here, 5th is da bomb

look familiar? mine as it sits end of 2016 season

Previously saw your thread over at VFRW, great job!

Just two nitpics....runs hot in heavy, stop and go traffic and the factory charging system terribly unreliable...Mosfet and wiring required. Loosing (eliminating) the troublesome connector between stator and regulator too.

Once corrected....an awesome machine.

Congrats and good luck with yours!
Thanks for the complement.

That's a good looking VFR you have. I love the look with the solo cowl in place. Is that exhaust an undertail or is it a "high left"?

On my VFR the prior owner installed a VFrness, so that was one item I didn't have to correct during my refurb work.

With regard to the heat issue, I noticed that my VFR runs in a better temperature range now that I've cleaned the outside of the radiators, taking off 18 years of grime and goo and pressure washing out all tiny rocks other bits of debris that were stuck between the cooling vanes. Now the radiators are able to transfer heat out to the atmosphere as Honda intended.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2017, 06:20 AM   #5
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

I'm on my 3rd 5th gen VFR, purchased OCT 2016, Y2K model, under 12k miles.

My previous VFRs were in my garage more than ten years ago; 17+ years later they are still hard to beat with what they offer at used pricing.
Can't really go wrong with them Hondas of that vintage besides electrical issues.

"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2017, 06:55 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Love the idea of these bikes. True sport-tourers. Honda evidently missed the mark with the latest reboot, but the new Ducati Supersport is really, REALLY intriguing and a lot like these older VFRs in concept.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2017, 07:00 AM   #7
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Evidently Greg737 has AWOKEN some silent, hidden VFR enthusiast/lurkers on ninjette.

Now @adouglas has gone and mentioned the new Ducati Supersport (and woke me up) ...I've got an older "slab side" version 900SS...

Carbed, ancient, less HP...but light weight, great handling, a looker and fun factor OFF THE CHARTS..a KEEPER!

My Ducati and VFR garage mates perfectly compliment one another...VFR comfort and compliance for longer distance...the Duc for shorter sporting rides.

Sorry..can't resist posting a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finalduc2016-1.jpg (203.9 KB, 4 views)

Last futzed with by ducatiman; March 6th, 2017 at 09:54 AM.

Old March 6th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #8
"A"
vampire

Cool

Loved the Desmo while I had it..

Put approx. 8k miles on my 2001 model, gone through 3 sets of tires.. really wanted to keep it, but seemed to require more wrenching time than saddle time. FI was not so friendly with cold climate.. typical Italian girl likes to run in hot weather.
Sold it to a friend who crashed it on the track within 3 months.. such a shame.

Old March 13th, 2017, 09:09 AM   #9
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
i've now clocked 30,000mi on my "slab side" '95, and just about ready for the upcoming '17 season for more.

In 22 years..normal wear/service items...tires, chains/sprockets, batteries, valve checks/adjustments, routine timing belt replacements....otherwise surprisingly reliable.

Its never left me stranded, with only 1 minor failure on the road just last year ..the gear change inner linkage return spring broke...was easily able to get home...it upshifted fine..just needed to lift the shift lever with foot...*prior* to downshifting. $8 later and some of my labor...fixed. Not a bad service record for an "unreliable" Ducati.

Old March 13th, 2017, 02:34 PM   #10
"A"
vampire

Mine had the forkleg pitted that lead to forkseal leak then developed into contaminated brake pads, scarred disc rotor..

Maybe due to the fork oil leak the front end never felt as if the bike have the famous razor-sharp steering. Riding position sure wasn't for the long hours in the saddle.

I'm glad that I got to ride it for as long as I did; not likely I will get another Duc SS.