ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Gear-related

Old July 25th, 2014, 08:48 AM   #1
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Question Overpants: recommendations please

Hi. I am looking for recommendations on overpants.

I want something that is, first and foremost, very easy to put on or take off. Most of my riding is either city commuting or short hour-long rides on the local back roads. I currently have a pair of high-quality jeans with both kevlar and armor... but I find these are a hassle to change into and out of when arriving at the office.

Second, they should be comfortable for a wide span of weather, from 40F and light rain up to 80F and sunny. They don't have to be 100% waterproof, but some water resistant for when I get caught riding in a shower would be great.

Third, they should be affordable and offer good value at a great low price. While something like a pair of Aerostich pants would be great, $300+ isn't reasonable in my book.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions with this purchase decision.

Old July 25th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
TourMaster Flex. $180 at RevZilla.

Worn them in everything from 19* to 110*, rain, sun, snow, wind.

Pros: the outer panel on each leg unzips and removes to reveal the mesh layer underneath. Quick zip back on seals up the pant again once the temps drop or rain settles in.

Two additional layers can be worn underneath, one rain liner, one thermal. I only put in those once the temps drop into the 60's and stays there. So for winter riding i have the full pant together. For really really cold, i additionally wear a layer of good thermal leggings.

The two hip pockets are large enough for my smart phone, wallet, and keys.

Cons:

The velcro strap around the ankle comes lose and picks up carpet fuzzies as you walk, reducing its grip.

The side zipper got stuck on mine after a year of wearing it and became really hard to get the leg zipped closed after putting my boots on. The zipper does go all the way to the outer thigh so I suppose you could out your boots on first, but i never did.

After 30k miles in the desert sun, the cloth faded to a purplish tint, never noticed until I bought a new set.

Highly recommended!

Summer mode, you can see the mesh on the front and back of the leg.

Night visibility, had a friend tell me the piping was really visible when he was driving behind me.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #3
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I have the scorpion Deuce EXO pants. Cost is $179. I wear them every day over my work pants and they have been great. zippers on both sides that go all the way up and a removable waterproof insert. I ended up having to get XXL size which is the largest they come in. with any overpant you prob want to get one size larger than what you would think. I am 5'10" 205lbs and these fit perfectly
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #4
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
I have the scorpion Deuce EXO pants. Cost is $179. I wear them every day over my work pants and they have been great. zippers on both sides that go all the way up and a removable waterproof insert. I ended up having to get XXL size which is the largest they come in. with any overpant you prob want to get one size larger than what you would think. I am 5'10" 205lbs and these fit perfectly
I second these. I dont wear them often with the higher temps now but once we get under 50 i wear them. Even 40* with rain they were great, i was bone dry. I need to take my shoes off to get them on and off but thats about it, unlike Nevadawolfs which have a much longer zipper up the side. Thats my only dislike, but im happy i bought them because they extend my season a solid 2 months. They have good armor, dont look overly bulky like some others and are priced very well.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

If you just want pants, Joe Rocket has a nice range. I have been using mine since 2008. They have a liner that comes in or out in under 5 minutes (it zips in strategic locations), and in warm weather, a large air vent panel that zips off in a matter of a minute as well. They've got knee armor that is replaceable, and a decent amount of padding in the hips as well.

And last I looked, they were barely over $100. They do zip to JR jackets as well.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #6
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
I second these. I dont wear them often with the higher temps now but once we get under 50 i wear them. Even 40* with rain they were great, i was bone dry. I need to take my shoes off to get them on and off but thats about it, unlike Nevadawolfs which have a much longer zipper up the side. Thats my only dislike, but im happy i bought them because they extend my season a solid 2 months. They have good armor, dont look overly bulky like some others and are priced very well.
You might have a diferent model. the zipper on mine go all the way up to the waistband on both side. they slip over my large boots with ease. they do get a little warm in the summer down here in Texas, but I still wear them. My dress pants would shred in a second, leaving my ass cheeks on the freeway

Old July 25th, 2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
You might have a diferent model. the zipper on mine go all the way up to the waistband on both side. they slip over my large boots with ease. they do get a little warm in the summer down here in Texas, but I still wear them. My dress pants would shred in a second, leaving my ass cheeks on the freeway
Eh i double checked and i have the deuce pants. Mine only zip up maybe a foot, maybe you have an older version? No clue. I wear drayko jeans underneath and every other time im on the bike. If i had to wear dress pants to work i would always wear the over pants, but i can get away with wearing my draykos at work so thats not an issue.

Old July 25th, 2014, 10:53 AM   #8
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
Eh i double checked and i have the deuce pants. Mine only zip up maybe a foot, maybe you have an older version? No clue. I wear drayko jeans underneath and every other time im on the bike. If i had to wear dress pants to work i would always wear the over pants, but i can get away with wearing my draykos at work so thats not an issue.
yeah thats weird. I bought mine about a year ago. inside they say Scorpion EXO. Maybe mine are not the deuce

Old July 25th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #9
Bigballsofpaint

Ya i got mine at the beginning of this season because i could cope with not riding when it was like 42 but nice out. I think they made the exo and then the exo deuce.

Old July 25th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #10
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Summer mode, you can see the mesh on the front and back of the leg.
I love this picture.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #11
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Icom makes some really good leather overpants. I have the Automags and actually crashed in them...twice. Work really well. They're latest version of overpants is both leather and textile where it breathes much better.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote