ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 15th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

To all people who have another bike (non 250)

What is the make of the bike?

I find myself to be a loyal follower to whatever brand I currently own. My old bike was a Suzuki GS500. I found myself favoring the GSXR's more than any other make. I ended up with a Kawasaki because I wanted a cheap ride, and GS500's are hard to find, but there were a ton of 250F's. So I picked up the kawasaki.

Now I find myself looking in the Kawasaki line for possible next bike choices. All of you who have a 2nd bike, is it a Kawasaki, or did you go elsewhere?

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #2
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

I'm seriously considering my next bike to be a Kawasaki - maybe an older gen ZX-6R from like 1998-2001.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

I've only got the one bike, but if I were to get a second it wouldn't be another Kwak. The KLX 250SF, Versys and ZX-6 appeal to me, but I'd rather a DR-Z400 SM, GS800 or CBR600RR.

...But even more, I want a Street Triple.

Old March 15th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #4
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

My other bike is a Suzuki DR200. It does what the Ninja can't, and vice versa. Any of the big four Japanese makers deliver a quality product, large dealer network, and easy to find parts. I've owned three Kawasakis, and one Suzuki, and they were all good bikes. Honda is rumored to have the highest quality, but I doubt it. They do appear to have the highest prices though.
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Custom Seat Creations
Sportbike Seat Covers

Name: Becky

Motorcycle(s): 10' Special Edition Tribal 250 Red/Black ; 08' Ninja 250 (RIP by a cager); 05' Honda CBR 600

My other bike is a Honda CBR 600 F4i. Fuel injection is a dream!

Old March 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #6
zeroth
weekend rider

Name: JC

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

The 250 is my first/only bike, but if I get another ... it's possible I'll get a scoot like the Honda Relfex or Honda Silver Wing. Yes yes let the flames ensue! No I have a good reason. My wife used to ride a scooter (50cc) back in India, and she would like to ride, but is afraid of manual transmission (on cars also). So that would be something we could both ride, and ride together, and use the storage for long trips, etc.
zeroth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #7
sugarbear
ninjette.org member

Name: Carol

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2004 BMW 1150RT

My Ninja is my second bike. I also have a 2004 BMW 1150RT. The BMW is great for long distance/highway riding, but a bit much for riding around town. When I saw the new generation Ninja 250, I finally decided to get that sassy sport bike I have always wanted! They are two totally different machines. Whichever one I ride, I think to myself "I Love This Bike". Then I have to go home and ride the other one and I think "I Love This Bike"
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #8
jdesiano1
Stealth like Ninja, Lol

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): Red 2008 250

Just picked this up last night as my second and couldn't be happier. I wanted a bigger engine but wanted to keep the up right seating. This does both and still looks like a sport bike. It is sleek and sexy. And did I mention pink i didn't even think about manufactuers when shopping, just what I liked and just so happen Yamaha hit the nail on the head. 7000.00 I dont think that is to bad for a true 600 i4 fuel inj.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 012.jpg (118.5 KB, 29 views)
jdesiano1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #9
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Jessica...

I am not one for pink but that is one HOT bike!

Old March 18th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #10
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

kawi KDX220 woods bike and a suzuki DR350 city commuter

Old March 18th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #11
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdesiano1 View Post
Just picked this up last night as my second and couldn't be happier. I wanted a bigger engine but wanted to keep the up right seating. This does both and still looks like a sport bike. It is sleek and sexy. And did I mention pink i didn't even think about manufactuers when shopping, just what I liked and just so happen Yamaha hit the nail on the head. 7000.00 I dont think that is to bad for a true 600 i4 fuel inj.
Nice detailing!

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #12
Syphen
Some weird Canuck!

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): '92 CBR250RR "Babyblade", 2008 Ninja 250R, 2001 CBR600F4i

All of my bikes have always been in Honda's CBR lineup. I'm a little brand loyal towards them and the sheer reliability I have had with them. Maybe I'm just lucky? With that being said, after owning the Ninja 250R, I have been impressed with Kawi bikes and would consider getting another one if the price was right.
I only strayed away from Honda because they simply did not have the bike I was looking for available here in the Canadian market (cough 2009 VTR250 cough), but I've enjoyed the experience of the ninjette.
Syphen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #13
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I've had a couple other bikes. Hondas are made well, Yamaha makes a well built bike too, Harleys are fun to ride and retain their value, Ducati is beautiful and exotic but expensive to maintain (still cheaper than a Ferrari), Kawasaki makes a great dirt bike but I find the road bikes aren't as well put together as other bikes, Suzuki has always been good to me. I've had more bikes from Harley and Suzuki than the others but I love all bikes so you really can go wrong as long as you are riding.

Old March 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #14
kkim

I was always a Honda man, myself, but from years ago, I had heard what a great bike the 250 ninja was. When I saw the new gen styling and changes that they had made, I made the ninja mine as soon as they came out.

Prior to that, I had just bought a dual purpose Honda crf230F, which I use for trail riding/off road exploring. Electric start, light weight and reliable. The suspension and engine needs some work to be fully off road capable, but I'm working out it.

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #15
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I was always a Honda man, myself, but from years ago, I had heard what a great bike the 250 ninja was. When I saw the new gen styling and changes that they had made, I made the ninja mine as soon as they came out.

Prior to that, I had just bought a dual purpose Honda crf230F, which I use for trail riding/off road exploring. Electric start, light weight and reliable. The suspension and engine needs some work to be fully off road capable, but I'm working out it.

Trail riding/off road exploring in hawaii............I'm so envious. have you lived there all your life or did you move there. I hear it can be costly is this true?

I was going to buy a white and blue suzuki GS500F with 2500 miles on it plus TWO matching Leather jackets and a cover. All for the same price I paid for the Ninjette. The guy just had a kid and was liquidating. It was THE perfect bike. Absolutly a Beautiful bike.

I went to the guys house with my GF an he already had it running for some other guy that was just leaving. I waived to that guy good by thinking "Competition". So I sat on it checked it over an told him I wanted it and I'd be back the next day with a check. He says OK sounds good.

I call him the next morning and he tells me he sold it!!!!!!
I WAS TICKED.

A couple of weeks later I'm eating outside on a restaurant patio with the GF and the same exact bike drives by. I pointed it out to my GF and she laughs and says it probably the same one. I said naw then went on a 10 Min. rampage on the guy not selling it to me.

Well again we go to the same restaurant a couple weeks later. It was around the same time of day as the last visit. The Bike drives by again..........! This time I just gave her a look.

So we eat our meal, pay our tab, leave the building. Now were in the parking lot walking towards our car and here it comes, in all it's glory, into the driveway...the white and blue suzuki GS500F. I look at her and say "You set this up didn't you" and I start looking for cameras. She starts laughing so I think she really set this up.

After He parks his bike and takes his helmet off he starts walking towards us. We were between him and the entrance. So he gets alittle closer and it's the same frickin guy who was looking at the suzuki before us!!!!!!

I just looked at her and started laughing. So now I'm laughing and she's laughing and I'm like okay, really, wheres the cameras. I expected this guy to walk up an tell me I'm on candid camera.

Well he walks past smiling at us while were in the middle of the parking lot. At this point were laughing at him headed towards the entrance. He looks back a couple of times and I sputter out the words "No really". He stops and very politely says "Is there something wrong". Right then it hits me that she didn't set me up.....I responded to him (Trying not to Laugh) "Nice Bike".

So now everytime I see or hear about a suzuki GS500F I smile instead of getting angry about losing that deal.

Sorry for the long post..hope you enjoyed.
Buffalony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
So I sat on it checked it over an told him I wanted it and I'd be back the next day with a check. He says OK sounds good.

I call him the next morning and he tells me he sold it!!!!!!
I WAS TICKED.
Hi Joe! I did enjoy your story, but I don't think you needed to be ticked in the first place. It'll become clearer if you ever get a chance to sell your own bike. 90% of the potential buyers you come across are flakes. Everyone promises to come back with a check. Everyone promises they'll be right over. Everyone promises that they'll be the ones that actually buy the bike. But more often than not, they flake. It's just the way it is.

First person to the bike with full cash in hand gets the bike, no ifs, ands, or buts. No deposits offered or accepted, no false promises from either party, no misunderstandings. Took me a little while to learn this, but everyone eventually gets there. If you're a buyer, have the cash readily available and get to the bike you want first.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #17
zeroth
weekend rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Everyone promises to come back with a check. Everyone promises they'll be right over. Everyone promises that they'll be the ones that actually buy the bike. But more often than not, they flake. It's just the way it is.
Exactly. I called a guy saying I was going to come see his bike the next day around 6pm. At 5:45 I called and said I was nearby, and asked for directions. He was surprised and gave me directions, and told me he'd be home in a little bit. Turns out he didn't think I was going to show up.

Also, when I went to see each bike, I took cash with me. My initial offer amount (for the one I actually bought it was $1900) in one lump, then $100 bills individually in a few other places so I could pull them out as needed, without making it obvious that I was willing to go higher. (We settled at $2000.) Some people (and I can't blame them) won't even take a personal check.

And if you're uncomfortable at carrying that kind of money around, just look at your wife/girlfriend's fingers. She probably has more $$$ wrapped around her digits than you have stuffed in your pocket.

Old March 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM   #18
Buffalony

well there was alot more about the transaction than that. I actually went through this with four other bikes. and Since I was getting a vehicle loan I had to have a check made out to him,which I did. I explained that to him aswell. I didnt go into detail because the story was long enough. But I gave this guy a couple hundred dollars that day to secure the bike. He sold it on me because the other buyer made him a better offer and paid cash!! I just really liked that bike. It was very practical.

Old March 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM   #19
zeroth
weekend rider

Fair enough. Too bad it didn't work out for you. Hope you got your $$ back!

Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:11 AM   #20
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroth View Post
Fair enough. Too bad it didn't work out for you. Hope you got your $$ back!
Oh yeah he wouldnt have gone that far. He could have atleast asked me if I wanted to counter offer. Oh well

Back on topic. I had an 82 Suzukimatic GS450A. It was a pretty nice bike.

Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:13 PM   #21
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Real quick question: I've heard several people list off bikes that are made well like Suzuki and Honda. I've seen a couple of Hyosung bikes for sale at my local Yamaha dealership and online. Anybody have any experience with Hyosung? I've gotten mixed reports that they are good, or they fall apart on the road. Anybody know?
Verus Cidere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:16 PM   #22
kkim

I've heard, and believe, they are not as well put together as your Kawasaki.

personally, I would stay away from them unless you are very mechanically inclined.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM   #23
Verus Cidere

Gotcha. Just checking. I am planning to get a 2nd (which might end up being my main riding bike) that is a bit bigger. Whatever I'm getting, I'll probably be lowering it, since I'm not gonna be racing it, and most bigger displacement bikes are also taller at the seat. Any ideas on this?

Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:45 PM   #24
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

my only experience with the hyosung has been watching them on several of the korean drama series i've seen. they look like pretty sport bikes, but thats the extent of my experience.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:47 PM   #25
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
Whatever I'm getting, I'll probably be lowering it, since I'm not gonna be racing it, and most bigger displacement bikes are also taller at the seat. Any ideas on this?
Many shorter riders lower their first bike. Without question, being able to firmly plant both feet on the ground gives people new to motorcycling more confidence while moving the bike around at very low speeds and when coming to a stop. But once someone gains confidence and riding skills, it becomes less necessary. From a handling and performance standpoint, lowering a bike limits the capabilities of the bike. It has less lean angle available, it often has less suspension travel, and the geometry can be affected in a negative manner. Whether those limitations are a problem, well, it depends on the rider and what the bike is used for. Once people get around to their 2nd bike, if they are still into the sport and still working on upping their skills, fewer and fewer find the need to lower that bike, as they've found out how to better deal with a tall bike at low speeds.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM   #26
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

Here's a great video comparing Kawasaki Ninja 250 to the Hyosung GT250R

Link to original page on YouTube.

FWIW I wouldn't buy a Hyosung, but I do like the grab bar on the back of the GT250R. Looks useful.

Last futzed with by Alex; March 22nd, 2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: embedded video
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:11 PM   #27
Verus Cidere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Many shorter riders lower their first bike. Without question, being able to firmly plant both feet on the ground gives people new to motorcycling more confidence while moving the bike around at very low speeds and when coming to a stop. But once someone gains confidence and riding skills, it becomes less necessary. From a handling and performance standpoint, lowering a bike limits the capabilities of the bike. It has less lean angle available, it often has less suspension travel, and the geometry can be affected in a negative manner. Whether those limitations are a problem, well, it depends on the rider and what the bike is used for. Once people get around to their 2nd bike, if they are still into the sport and still working on upping their skills, fewer and fewer find the need to lower that bike, as they've found out how to better deal with a tall bike at low speeds.
I see where you're coming from on this one. Who knows? Maybe it'll change after a year or two when I'm actually ready to get another bike? As of right now though, I'm what I've heard called "inseam challenged". At my local Yamaha dealer I sat on a regular 08 R6 and a lowered one. The regular one had me up on the very tips of my toes when I had it level and it was slightly hard to get it there, while the lowered one only required the balls of my feet and was almost as easy to level as my bike. Dunno though. Maybe I'll get taller by then!

Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:56 PM   #28
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I've got some pretty stubby legs myself for someone of my height; I'm all torso. Most of my pants have a 30" or 31" inseam. Never felt a need to lower a bike, and have enjoyed many miles on some pretty tall bikes, including some monsters like the BMW GS Adventure with a 35.2" seat height.

Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:10 PM   #29
Verus Cidere

Cool. Like I said, I'm not gonna be upgrading for at least a year, out of sheer terror of getting myself killed, wasting money on a nice bike that I wreck, and because it generally takes money to buy bikes, and it took me quite a while to save up for the one I have! I just like the idea of having another one so if this one breaks down (like my bad experience with a missing clutch-cable plate) I'd have something else to get around on while getting it fixed.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:18 AM   #30
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
I just like the idea of having another one so if this one breaks down
I'm a big proponent of having a bunch of different bike choices, and I wish I had the space to continue to add to the collection rather than having to sell one as I add one. Someday.