ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 19th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #1
desrik
ninjette.org member

Name: Donnie

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Ninja 250R

Post DIY - More Under Seat Storage

I was at Wal-Mart the other day and came across this:

The box is 6" wide, 8" long, and ~2.5" deep. The combo can be set to any 3 digit combination. It also comes with a tethering cable to secure the box to something solid.

I bought it deciding that I was going to try and mount it on the bike somehow. Also, for only $15, even if I couldn't I could make use of it somewhere else. So I posted up a thread trying to find out the information I needed to know about the Ninja 250R itself, as I only just recently bought my first bike. I found out that the rear tire has a 5.1" upward movement maximum. Anything above that and the tire shouldn't touch it. I have slightly crossed into that maximum with the bottom of the box, but as I only weigh 135lbs, it would take quite a bit for me to get the bike bottomed out.

So I went out to the bike and took the seat off and tried to figure out how I would do this. Luckily for me, the inside width of the rear fender is perfect match to the width of the box. I also noticed that in order to place the box where I wanted it, I had to figure out a different place to hook the spring. After a while of trying to clip the spring somewhere else I had an idea. I went and got a screw on hose clamp and wrapped it around the frame. I then hooked the spring onto the arm below the hook that latches the seat down and hooked the other end in one of the slots on the clamp. Work perfectly. Better than the original placement in my opinion. I do plan on putting one on the other side but for now, this works.

I used a drill to make holes around the part of the fender I had measured to be cut out and removed it. I also used a razor blade to cut off all the little nubs from the drill around the hole you see in the picture. ( +1 if you collected them afterwards for DIY ABS Cement )

I then placed the box into the fender. The box fits very snug do to the raised piece of the inside fender wall. Once I had it in the general area I wanted the box to sit, I put the seat back on. When the seat latched the box was pushed down a bit. This ensures that the box does not stick up so high that you can't put the seat back on.

Before the seat:

After the seat:

Picture from underneath with the seat on: ( There isn't anything holding that box in there other than the pressure of the fender squeezing against it. )

I made some brackets out of metal strip with holes in it. ( Used to hang pipes and such )

I marked the bottom of the box at the front and back on the bottom and also how far it went back. This ended up being on the rear half of the fender. I went ahead and used my ABS repair iron ( old soldering iron ) to make holes in the fender wall and used zip-ties to hold the brackets in place. I would have rather used rivets, but I don't have any at the moment.

I then placed the box into the space and the project was finished. I probably could have just made a tray out of sheet metal instead of using the safe, but I kind-of like the face of having something that has an extra layer of security. I mean, car doors lock and most glove-boxes have locks also.

desrik is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old March 19th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #2
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Talk about perfect fit; nicely done!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #3
desrik
ninjette.org member

Thank you. Total time was about an hour and a half. I am going to attach a strap to the top of the box because its kind-of hard to get out of there. During this build I though of a way to create a hidden seat release so I can keep a spare key in that box... Just in case

Old March 19th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Nice work!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yes, yes... well done, well done.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 05:15 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #7
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Nice Job!!!
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2013, 08:21 PM   #8
desrik
ninjette.org member

Note to all: Zip-Ties are not the best thing for securing the box. Lost a bracket during some riding around the neighborhood and about lost the box. Rivets are soon to replace them.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:34 AM   #9
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrik View Post
Note to all: Zip-Ties are not the best thing for securing the box. Lost a bracket during some riding around the neighborhood and about lost the box. Rivets are soon to replace them.
Or machine bolts with lockwashers.

To make a pop rivet work right, you'll probably need little washers on both sides to keep it from pulling through the plastic.

Rivet gun kit with assortment of rivets at HF for under $5.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:49 AM   #10
desrik
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Or machine bolts with lockwashers.
I decided against nuts and bolts because the head of the bolt prevents the box from going into place. It's already a very tight fit as is. Now maybe some stubby lag bolts... Hmmm

Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

Nice job. I've put Radio Shack plastic project boxes to similar uses on bikes. The cost only a few bucks and are available in several sizes.
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:14 PM   #12
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrik View Post
I decided against nuts and bolts because the head of the bolt prevents the box from going into place. It's already a very tight fit as is. Now maybe some stubby lag bolts... Hmmm
Why can't you turn the brackets the other way so bolt and rivets don't interfere?

Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:59 PM   #13
desrik
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Why can't you turn the brackets the other way so bolt and rivets don't interfere?
Hmm... I can't quite recall, but I know there was a reason. Lol. I would have to go back out and check it again.