ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 29th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #1
gregoryl
ninjette.org member

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja EX250

Gas in Crank case sight? (The hole where you see 2T)

Before doing a valve adjustment this weekend, I went to open the crank case sight hole (where you read 2T, 1T etc) and i smell a good deal of gas? What could be causing this? I dont have any smoke when firing up the bike, and i just ripped the carbs apart and everything was cleaned, and looked clean before i re-cleaned everything and pulled the idle screw caps and cleaned those. Any help would be great. I was thinking maybe a piston ring, but im having no smoke, and i did do a valve adjustment recently, and am having a little bit of excess noise still wtih the valves set at intake .004 and exhaust at .005. I was going to adjust them to .003 and .004 and noticed this smell so i wanted to get some answers before i started. Also, would Marvels Mystery Lube help the engine run smoother and maybe help seat the valves? I ran 89 to try to help seat the valves, and have rode maybe 40 miles.

Thanks, Luke
gregoryl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2014, 10:39 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Check the petcock operation.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 29th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Check the petcock operation.
Sounds like your tank petcock/pump gadget is allowing fuel to go down into the carbs and find their way into the crank case.

make sure it is shutting off the fuel. Put an inline petcock if you have too.

but certainly change the oil before you run it anymore . might clear up the extra valve noises.
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #4
gregoryl
ninjette.org member

So i have put an inline fuel filter on. Seems like every once an a while the filter is not 100% full and then the tank will whine and then it will be completely full. Sometime its only half full. But when i turn on the bike and take the fuel line off, the petcock pours out gas, and when the bike it off and i pull the fuel line, no fuel is coming out? When cleaning the carbs, i also drained them into 2 Gatorade bottles, and both carbs had the same amount of gas in them.

Old September 29th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #5
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Did you say whether your oil level (in the sight glass) has increased?

I might not sweat just a smell if the oil level has stayed the same. Gas is a bazillion times more volatile than oil so even a tiny amount in the oil should make it reek of gasoline.

Old September 29th, 2014, 12:58 PM   #6
gregoryl
ninjette.org member

I believe that the oil level has not changed, but the look of the oil seems to be a bit more light brown. Am i supposed to smell gas from that opening? What is that opening called anyway?

Old September 29th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #7
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryl View Post
I believe that the oil level has not changed, but the look of the oil seems to be a bit more light brown. Am i supposed to smell gas from that opening? What is that opening called anyway?
The oil filler? The bigger plastic threaded plug on the right side of the engine, toward the front?

No, I guess ideally you shouldn't ever smell gas anywhere in the crankcase. What I'm getting at is that it doesn't take a whole lot to flood the engine which would allow a little gas past the rings and into the crankcase, which would cause what you're experiencing. If the oil level had gone up noticeably I'd be looking at the needle valves and the petcock but there just isn't much volume of gas getting in there that I can tell.

If you want to play it safe I'd go ahead and change the oil and just keep tabs on the oil level going forward. See if the smell comes back too.

Old September 29th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #8
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Even if the petcock is leaking, the floats in your carbs should prevent gas from overflowing.

Best way to check, if you're willing to cough up $25 bux is to get an oil analysis from Blackstone Labs. I did that with my 250 and got a clean bill of health. It still smells like gas sometimes though. But no traces of gas in there.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2014, 07:02 AM   #9
gregoryl
ninjette.org member

Thanks everyone! I am going to change the oil tonight. I adjusted the idle pilot screws as well and havent got a chance to check to see how the bike is performing since i blew the main fuse when i hooked the battery up backwards while the old lady was rushing me to leave. As for the place im talking about, its on the left side of the bike and is not the bigger (coin opened) part of the crank, its the smaller plug that when you turn the crank, you see "2T" or "1T". How do you get your oil tested? Thanks, Luke

Old September 30th, 2014, 07:43 AM   #10
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

If the vacuum diaphragm in the petcock is damaged or torn then the fuel has a direct run through the vacuum pipe and straight into the manifold.
This second route does not involve the float valve, it becomes just a pipe from the tank to the manifold
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #11
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
If the vacuum diaphragm in the petcock is damaged or torn then the fuel has a direct run through the vacuum pipe and straight into the manifold.
This second route does not involve the float valve, it becomes just a pipe from the tank to the manifold
I was wondering about the vacuum diaphragm myself, I think it checks out:

Quote:
But when i turn on the bike and take the fuel line off, the petcock pours out gas, and when the bike it off and i pull the fuel line, no fuel is coming out?

Old September 30th, 2014, 08:43 AM   #12
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
How do you get your oil tested? Thanks, Luke
Go to http://www.blackstone-labs.com and order a free test kit (which is essentially a plastic bottle). Do an oil change and fill up that bottle. Send in the bottle at USPS. Blackstone charges $25 for the analysis.

In the comment section of the form you fill out, tell them you suspect gas in the oil.

They'll keep an eye on the "flashpoint" for you and will comment on their findings.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2014, 08:52 AM   #13
Ninjinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxpower? View Post
I was wondering about the vacuum diaphragm myself, I think it checks out:
Just pull the vac tube off the tap and see if any fuel drips out of the union. There should be none whatever vac side, it is a dry chamber.

Old October 9th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

My petcock leaked and my oil smelled like gas a week after my oil change. It happened again when I changed it again. The smell was strong enough for anyone to notice when I changed my oil. I also had lots of top end noise. I stopped riding the bike because I feared the cam chain would give and I wasn't able to afford or do the work. Now I have a spare engine and a new petcock. There is evidence that a large number of these petcocka were bad/leaking and that they were redesigned internally but no recall and people keep saying that a leaking petcock should not be able to get past the carbs and piston rings to contaminate your oil, but I think it is easier than most believe.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #15
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

If the petcock leaks, and the float valve isn't sealing perfectly, gas will make its way to the cylinders and eventually the crankcase.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
If the petcock leaks, and the float valve isn't sealing perfectly, gas will make its way to the cylinders and eventually the crankcase.
I think the same applies to the float valves. Even if they seal fine, it wil make its way through to the cylinders and eventually the crank case (pressure changes and such).

Old October 10th, 2014, 01:15 PM   #17
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

The VN750 has dual carbs fed through a vacuum activated petcock, similar to the Ninja. I never turned the petcock to off when parking, although I probably should, and never had gas in the oil. Both the petcock and at least one float valve have to fail for gas to get to the oil. Lots of gravity fed petcock bike owners don't turn the petcock to off when parking (again, they should) and don't develop gas in the oil because the float valve seals the gas in the carb.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #18
Ninjinsky

Quote:
The VN750 has dual carbs fed through a vacuum activated petcock, similar to the Ninja. I never turned the petcock to off when parking, although I probably should, and never had gas in the oil. Both the petcock and at least one float valve have to fail for gas to get to the oil. Lots of gravity fed petcock bike owners don't turn the petcock to off when parking (again, they should) and don't develop gas in the oil because the float valve seals the gas in the carb.
If the petcock diaphragm holes like mine did it leaks fuel down the vacuum line into the manifold not through the float chamber

Old October 10th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Perhaps the difference is that our bikes have the tank whistle and pressure problems. Just yesterday I read about a member having a fuel filter that would be visibly only half full and then suddenly fill after the tank whine. The tank can either pressurize or form a vacuum.

Back when I had the faulty petcock my bike did smell like it was running extremely rich when it warmed up even though it was as lean as the day it left the factory. I'd bet it was excess gas forced into the cylinders and exhaust to blame.