ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 16th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

I need a way to haul my 250r around.

And trust me, it's not because I've become sick of riding it. In fact, I need to haul it around so I can ride it more.

I've invested in a ford f350 bigmotherfcukertruck, 7x12' steel dump trailer, and a 4 ton excavator and finally own them outright.

Many times I find myself on a job, needing to break for lunch, run to the part store, buzz down into town to pick up a new chainsaw chain, grease, bolts, or any of over 9000 other items, and it's just not cost effective in terms of time and fuel to take my truck. Taking the truck often involves repositioning my trailer (10 minutes) - de-hitching trailer/machinery (10 more minutes) - installing 16 wheel chocks on dual axle trailer etc... long story short, all kinds of bullisht before I can roll off the job an hour behind schedule only to burn 20 bucks in fuel to accomplish my needs.

Been searching high and low lately, trying to find a better way. It's a pickup truck, so parking the bike in the bed of truck is an option, loading it up would be easy with a long ramp --but I cannot fathom how I would unload the bike from a lifted pickup truck bed by myself.

Was thinking of installing a lift gate on truck, but costly and wouldn't be usable with trailer/excavator attached -- Still might be best option.

I've seen motorcycle transport devices that connect to the hitch of a truck, but that seems a little sketchy and, again -- wouldn't work with a load already hitched up.

There IS room in the trailer for my excavator AND the bike, but getting it into trailer by myself would be difficult and getting it out of trailer seems damn near impossible by myself unless I mastered the pogo-stick-kickstand-pivot-method which seems sketchy in it's own way.

Please help me figure this out, I need a fresh set of eyes on this -- I'm all out of ideas.

I will take some pictures when the sun comes up and my camera will start working again.

Thanks!

Old September 16th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #2
corksil

This is the motorcycle kickstand pivot method I am performing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLtCXI3pyvI

(If you don't know what motorcycle-kick-stand-pivot-method is, watch the 22 second video.)

EDIT -- 22.09 second

Old September 16th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #3
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Get bigger bucket for excavator... Bike rides in excavator, easy to load, easy to go... You may be able to figure this out
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
What about the hitch carriers that have a second receiver for the trailer? Not sure what the weight limit is though...

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 16th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #5
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Chaining stuff like that may have different licensing requirements though

Old September 16th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #6
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Should be able to haul anything he can secure within the weight limits... You've never been to the south huh? Ya meet the nicest people on a Honda

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #7
corksil

Bravo nailed it. If I can tug it, I can tow it.

@nevada -- not sure that would work -- i've never seen a setup like that before and it does look like it would work if the steel hitch parts where 10 times the size and durability. I am typically towing 8 tons, give or take. If it's a wood chip load, it may be as much as 12 tons. I wouldn't want my 250r to be the "fuse" between those 12 tons and my 4 ton truck. If something broke away, my bike would be smashed forcefully.

@tfk -- With a CDL I'm totally within allowable limits. My biz is licensed and insured -- but insurance to cover the bike being damaged during this kind of transport is as non-existent as it is expensive.

I'm wondering if I could modify the trailer to accommodate bike on the back of it -- as long as it doesn't block my tail lights, it just might work.

Running outside to take pictures now. Back in a second.. hopefully.

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
I'm wondering if I could modify the trailer to accommodate bike on the back of it -- as long as it doesn't block my tail lights, it just might work.
Go for the front of the trailer with a fold out ramp or a way to have haul the ramp attached to the front too. It would be out of the way until you need it and the weight is forward. A basic wheel chock and a couple of eye bolts should do the job.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #9
corksil

@csmith -- your idea is solid, but i'm still uploading pics so you guys can see what i'm dealing with... this is not exactly a simple project -- there are lots of consideration.

For example, maintaining the ability to dump the trailer with a wood chip box on it, and the bike installed...

Uploading pics via 3rd-world-country-poverty-cellphone-reception-service-status.

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
What about the hitch carriers that have a second receiver for the trailer? Not sure what the weight limit is though...

I would be skeered to death of that setup with any real amount of weight loaded on a trailer.

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #11
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I would be skeered to death of that setup with any real amount of weight loaded on a trailer.
Could always weld that thing on some other place if you had any faith in it, some folks do, some don't.
I would want to take my bike out before I went to dumping stuff... Where these pics?

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

^^^ true, That is why I said go for the front of the trailer if he has the room. Otherwise the V portion of the front of the trailer would be an ideal spot to weld the rails if it's not in use by a toolbox or something. Even if the trailer dumps, it is unlikely this portion would be involved in that movement. On many trailers I see this as wasted space but it depends on the retractable foot in the front, like mine... it has a rotating handle to lower/raise the foot. Don't want the rails/bike to block the operation of that.

Old September 17th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #13
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I just thought of that style of carrier from watching all the RVs hauling a bike while towing a truck. Commercial products probably wouldn't work with the sort of load TC is hauling, but the idea might work if someone was handy with a welder.

Or mounting it on the back of the trailer like the hardware stores carry the piggy back fork lifts.

Old September 17th, 2014, 12:36 PM   #14
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I don't get how he has an excavator and can't figure out how to get a bike in an out of his truck... Chains an tow straps! I can run your excavator well enough to safely do it for you! Put me on the payroll

Old September 17th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #15
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

Here ya go: LINK

Ok, that one in particular probably wouldn't work but I'm posting it as an idea to build on.
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #16
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Use the excavator to lift the bike into and out of the pickup bed. It's only 350 lbs. Totally doable.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

You guys.....

I can totally see the realism in the question here because those who go to the track have to figure out their pit bikes when the trailer is fully loaded and they still need the room.

Bed of truck: Trailer in the way of ramps to make it a no brainer. Excavator may be in use or still loaded, inconvenient to load/unload the bike or may not be part of the load that day.
Tongue Rails: Not heavy duty enough to hitch up a heavy loaded trailer
Piggyback rails: Have to move the bike and rails out of the way when unloading heavy equipment or loads. Could also interfere with dump operation of trailer.
On trailer tongue: May interfere with trailer foot and/or handle operation. May already be in use by tool box or other...
On trailer itself: May not be room. May have to be unloaded for dump operations. Mods to trailer may weaken trailer or limit load capacity. Puts bike at risk of damage by shifting load.

Is there a good solution? Might just have to take the extra 10 mins, to unload something to get it out of the way.

Old September 17th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

The pics will tell the tale.

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #19
corksil

Wow, lots of replies. Gonna post my pics before reading these replies then do a followup.

Went outside after making earlier post this morning, was taking pics as promised -- phone rang, colleague on the horn shouting through very poor cell reception.... "Broken...... made it 4wd... front wheels only.... no power... need help... stuck outside job... broken... no rear..."

So I did the best I could to throw some pants on (left my fly down) -- brush teeth, multivitamins, shave w/combat knife, cleanup crap, unhitch my rig, hop in truck, go blasting off down the road with sound system bumping over 9000, find colleague..

7 ton chipper on his hitch, driveshaft to rear wheels spinning, rear wheels not turning. OH ISHT! Unhitch, rehitch to my rig, 4wd low, crept the chipper back in to the wood pile, everyone's standing around wondering if they're getting paid during the mishap and correction of mishap.. Everyone's tense, colleague sweating bullets, reassure everyone, hand over the keys to my truck so he can complete his job with minimal delay, and bam.... there I am... WALKING DOWN THE ROAD TO GET BACK ACROSS TOWN TO MY BIKE. That is most certainly not supposed to happen. Trucks breaking, machines needing repair, that I'm used to and expect and am equipped to deal with.

WALKING on FOOT across town, that is most certainly not something I am pleased to do. Anyways caught a ride, got to bike, rode back to job, helped colleague limp his truck home, dropped his chipper off w/my truck, lead vehicle 250r waving erratically at oncoming traffic to gtfo of the road due to wide load coming through on narrow country roads.

Oh dear it seems I've typed an essay.

Cliffnotes
-really need to get this sorted out and accomplished
-lost more time/money today due to this not being fixed with advanced motherfcukery

Pics

Maybe in back of trailer? Need to practice kickstand pivot method.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B82...it?usp=sharing

The whole rig. Poor camera angle due to crowded parking area.

How to get bike into bed of truck... not the hard part. Getting bike OUT of bed with only one person, damn near impossible I think. Hmmm.

Doesn't show much. Wasn't thinking about taking pic when I took this one. Stressing and behind sched.

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #20
corksil

Quote:
Yes I agree. That unit would essentially place my bike as the "fuse" between 4 ton truck and 10 ton load of wood chips. If anything happened, my bike would be mangled instantaneously with the fury of 10 tons of freshly killed trees that very much want revenge on me and my chainsaws/equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Could always weld that thing on some other place if you had any faith in it, some folks do, some don't.
I would want to take my bike out before I went to dumping stuff... Where these pics?
Read above post -- had a situation. Pics posted now.

Maybe I could weld that bitch on the rear of the trailer, OR the front of the truck. Hmmm.... definite considerations. Taking bike on/off before loading/unloading/dumping would be not cost effective.

Priority with hauling is time. Quicker I do it, more I make. Simple stuff.

Stopping the whole rig to unload bike and kickstand it would mean smaller paychecks in terms of time investment. Need something that is mounted solidly enough that I can go 4-wheeling over logs without the bike sustaining damage. Maybe I can build a bike holder into the front bumper I am designing. Bolt it all up tight to the frame and use lots of ratchet straps.

Bar-ends with eyelets would be sweet, I guess I'd have to build them myself

Quote:
^^^ true, That is why I said go for the front of the trailer if he has the room. Otherwise the V portion of the front of the trailer would be an ideal spot to weld the rails if it's not in use by a toolbox or something. Even if the trailer dumps, it is unlikely this portion would be involved in that movement. On many trailers I see this as wasted space but it depends on the retractable foot in the front, like mine... it has a rotating handle to lower/raise the foot. Don't want the rails/bike to block the operation of that.
You sir, are very much on point. Very much indeed. Glad to have your brain working with me on this quagmire of a situation.

Front of trailer (v-portion between hitch and dump bed) has a box with an opening top that houses the hydraulic pump for lift bed, battery, spare ratchet straps, tarp for oversized loads, wire switches on 50ft pigtail so I can dump trailer while driving the truck in the cab, shop towels, spare grease, bolts for when chip box is installed, and all kinds of other random motherfcukery. Handle for trailer foot also swings through the airspace that bike would occupy.

Top opening lid occupies space where bike would sit, so that's a no-go.

Let's keep thinking and figure this one out. My welder is hungry and I've plans to pick up more of the nice excalibur 7018 welding rods tomorrow during my town run to check 27 items off to-do list.

Old September 18th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #21
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
I don't get how he has an excavator and can't figure out how to get a bike in an out of his truck... Chains an tow straps! I can run your excavator well enough to safely do it for you! Put me on the payroll
Lol, funny guy. Funny funny. You might've nailed it, I'm mentally going through the paces now. I could easily build a sling that would allow me to pick bike up with excavator. That way I could lift the bike in and out of the truck pickup bed.... Also doable with a single person.. No ramps and minimal sketchiness involved.

Picturing it and running through the paces mentally now..
-fuel up all machines at baseyard/home
-install sling onto bike, load ex into trailer, front it all the way in, drop blade
-swing ex bucket over toward bike
-hook sling onto ex
-back into ex, throttle up, lift bike up and set it oh-so-gently in truck bed
-bike facing rearward, so unloading with a ramp possible once trailer unhitched
-otherwise use sling to pick bike out of bed and set on ground

All seems doable with a single person. Only thing that doesn't add up is unloading the bike from truck bed without using ex (if I have to leave it on a job and deliver chips), while having chip load full and trailer hitched up.

Maybe if I jacknife the trailer HARD and position the bike properly in anticipation -- might be able to use a long ramp to unload bike around trailer with it still attached. Re-loading might be a bit sketchy though, riding up a long narrow ramp with enough speed to make it into truck bed (these damn 250r's don't have enough torque) -- then slam on the brakes and not skid the tires in truck bed and dump the bike through the rear window of my truck..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fry1024 View Post
Here ya go: LINK

Ok, that one in particular probably wouldn't work but I'm posting it as an idea to build on.
Certainly a good idea, I helped a colleague hack apart my engine crane lift and weld up a nice pivoting mount to his steel flatbed. Works nice, but very sketchy. A heavy load on the crane parked anywhere other than on a perfectly level surface (which never happens) and the whole load tries to swing downhill violently as soon as it comes off the ground/truck. Let me know if you can outsmart gravity, that would solve a bunch of my problems.

However I am thinking that the excavator can handle anything that a crane could, so a crane would be redundant. Very good idea and thank you for contributing dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Use the excavator to lift the bike into and out of the pickup bed. It's only 350 lbs. Totally doable.
(Is the 250r srsly 350lbs? I thought it was lighter than that.. I had a tab open with all the specs for the bike, but can't find the pdf spec sheet.)

Yeah 350lbs would be easy if I kept it low to the ground. With an excavator all the fulcrums and balance points change depending on where the bucket is. I could lift the bike a few inches off the ground at full reach, but If I lifted it ten feet off the at half-reach, the whole machine would tip and I'd drop the bike and a millisecond later the whole bucket would smash the ufck out of it.

Quote:
You guys.....

I can totally see the realism in the question here because those who go to the track have to figure out their pit bikes when the trailer is fully loaded and they still need the room.

Bed of truck: Trailer in the way of ramps to make it a no brainer. Excavator may be in use or still loaded, inconvenient to load/unload the bike or may not be part of the load that day.
Tongue Rails: Not heavy duty enough to hitch up a heavy loaded trailer
Piggyback rails: Have to move the bike and rails out of the way when unloading heavy equipment or loads. Could also interfere with dump operation of trailer.
On trailer tongue: May interfere with trailer foot and/or handle operation. May already be in use by tool box or other...
On trailer itself: May not be room. May have to be unloaded for dump operations. Mods to trailer may weaken trailer or limit load capacity. Puts bike at risk of damage by shifting load.

Is there a good solution? Might just have to take the extra 10 mins, to unload something to get it out of the way.
Quote:
The pics will tell the tale.
Dude you most certainly nailed it. Such a simple question but so much to consider.

You have cliffnoted the thread.

Have to get the bike off the rig quickly, can't be showing up on jobs and spending 45 minutes trying to get a motorcycle out of a truck.

Primarily concerned with shifting loads.. Have to run a few calculations. Outsmarting physics takes time. 4 ton load on a 4 ton trailer, dual axle so 4 tires, that's 8 tons on four tires; 2 tons per tire, not sure what the tongue weight is yet.

Also considerations about rubber tracks in a clean steel trailer, pot holes in which the load could shift and crush motorcycle, coefficient of friction between ratchet straps and 4 tons tied between two angles while the trailer bounces; ratchet straps that hold motorcycle with leaking fork seals and bald tires tightly into bouncing 4 ton trailer with nonexistent tire traction.

Trying to get clever.

Old September 18th, 2014, 07:18 AM   #22
Road Dawg1
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 04 Ninja 250

What if you go a completely different direction and pick up a small scooter that you could mount off the front of the truck instead?

Saves your bike from damage/getting 'borrowed' on a work site.

No interference on the working end of the truck. Not as manly or fun as riding Ninjy, but who cares?
Road Dawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #23
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Trying to get clever.
Duh... The only other obvious place. Put the rail on the front of the truck.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 18th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #24
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Why do you need to turn the bike around to unload it?

The rest of us just back it down the ramp. That's easy. Getting it in is harder....

My legs are short enough that I can't ride up even a small ramp without risk. When the front wheel goes up the ramp it lifts the bike and raises the effective seat height. If for some reason it stalls while my toes are dangling, the bike could fall right over.

So I put it in gear and walk it up, feathering the clutch. Works fine. The risk here is losing control of throttle/clutch and letting the bike get away from you.

Going the other way, I just walk it backwards with my hand on the brake.

The key IMHO is to have a ramp wide enough to walk alongside the bike.

Discountramps.com has a lot of long arched ramps just for the scenario you're describing.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #25
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Smart guy this one

Old September 19th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #26
corksil

I've still got my mind on this one, very busy with work -- coming up with a few ideas.

Will post back once I review this thread and get back to the drawing board.

Old September 19th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #27
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Chris beat me to it. The front of the truck!

Yes that is a Rokon, sun is in the wrong angle for a good pic.

He has a reinforced bumper/grill guard that the bike is strapped to.

Old September 19th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #28
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Is it a requirement that the bed of the pickup still be instantly usable for other loads?

crazy NINJETTERS!!!!

YOU ARE NOT USING YOUR BIKE AS A FRONT BUMPER GUARD OR BACK BUMPER GUARD.

PERIOD ! I SAID SO= well if you must , it will be cringe worthy.

Meet up with me and buy some steel, welding rods and skate board wheels.

we will build you one of these

Link to original page on YouTube.

Thank you and come again
@corksil
What are the dimension of your bed and truck?
Vertical- Ground to top of bed rail, Floor of bed to top of bed rail.
Length of floor of bed with tail gate closed

Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2014, 01:14 PM   #29
corksil

Wow this thread has certainly evolved since I last had a chance to check it.

Thank you all so much for coming together on this project and helping me figure this out. It's been a million miles an hour with work, so hard to stay on top of stuff like this.

Will check back tonight, I'm just running out the door as soon as the tea kettle boils and I fill my to-go cups with caffeine.
@Klondike1020 -- Will run outside and pull a tape on the truck bed now.

Be right back!

Old September 20th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #30
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Chris beat me to it. The front of the truck!

[images redacted for thread brevity]

Yes that is a Rokon, sun is in the wrong angle for a good pic.

He has a reinforced bumper/grill guard that the bike is strapped to.
Babe I assure you that your photos are of much higher quality than mine. Trying to take pics with my low quality cell camera... There's a headphone amp velcro'd to the back of my phone covering the primary camera so I've been working with the front facing camera and it's a pain to snap pics without being able to see the screen etc.

With that said, BEAUTIFUL! That setup looks very nice, I'm wondering how hard it would be for me to build on a limited time frame with the resources I have.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, WHOEVER EMBEDDED MY PHOTOS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
Is it a requirement that the bed of the pickup still be instantly usable for other loads?

crazy NINJETTERS!!!!

YOU ARE NOT USING YOUR BIKE AS A FRONT BUMPER GUARD OR BACK BUMPER GUARD.

PERIOD ! I SAID SO= well if you must , it will be cringe worthy.

Meet up with me and buy some steel, welding rods and skate board wheels.

we will build you one of these

Thank you and come again
@corksil
What are the dimension of your bed and truck?
Vertical- Ground to top of bed rail, Floor of bed to top of bed rail.
Length of floor of bed with tail gate closed
Ideally, the bed should remain free and empty -- without a bike in it. Right now I've got a... anyways I'll just go outside and take another pic.

brb brb

Old September 20th, 2014, 01:30 PM   #31
corksil

On second thought, got a call, have to run out the door. Will pull a tape on the bike and truck dimensions later today hopefully, it's just a million miles an hour right now with work.

As I said, truck bed should ideally not have a bike in it, as I constantly have additional cargo to haul around... right now, a whole bunch of coolant/distilled water for truck maint, 55gal drum of diesel for truck/ex/backup, 3ft bucket currently on ex so 1ft bucket in truck -- but usually the 3ft bucket is in the pickup bed... wheel chocks, cooler is a pretty regular customer in pickup bed, rakes, shovels, it's always something.

Be nice to not need pickup bed empty all the time and solely for bike... also the issue again of unloading the bike with a load on the hitch. I mocked up one of my trailer ramps on the truck tailgate and I don't think loading with my 6ft steel ramp is an option. Too violent of an angle change from the top of the ramp into truck bed, bike fairings would get ripped off and destroyed. Longer ramp still maybe an option.

wish i had more time to think about this but I've gotta run. Will check back soon!

Thank you all very much!

Old September 20th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #32
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

@corksil. - do me a favor
Watch that video of the winch driven hoist lifting the bike into the truck.
Now close your eyes
And imagine it is mounted to a track perpendicular to the truck bed an loads your bike across the truck bed above the rails.

It would only occupy the same space as a tool box would above the rails and below the rails could still be free.

Old September 21st, 2014, 12:35 AM   #33
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
@corksil. - do me a favor
Watch that video of the winch driven hoist lifting the bike into the truck.
Now close your eyes
And imagine it is mounted to a track perpendicular to the truck bed an loads your bike across the truck bed above the rails.

It would only occupy the same space as a tool box would above the rails and below the rails could still be free.
I've measured the truck bed to be 81x64", 20" deep.

Smartest option might be putting flat bed on truck, winch with lots of blocks, ratchet straps, etc.

Maybe a flatbed on 21ft truck. I've gotta run the numbers before I can gauge the cost of a winch and blocks, new front bumper assembly, bike rack loading lift.

Old September 21st, 2014, 09:15 PM   #34
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
I've measured the truck bed to be 81x64", 20" deep.

Smartest option might be putting flat bed on truck, winch with lots of blocks, ratchet straps, etc.

Maybe a flatbed on 21ft truck. I've gotta run the numbers before I can gauge the cost of a winch and blocks, new front bumper assembly, bike rack loading lift.
Flat beds are cheap used.

Making a lift like the one in the video can be built for a few hundred. Winch, steel , bearing/rollers.

million different ways to do it... Iam looking forward to see what direction you take!

Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:15 AM   #35
corksil

Thanks Josh, will keep all of you nice folks informed.

I cannot even begin to explain how busy I've been with just.... everything.

It's hard to prioritize things..

Thinking that bike maintenance is higher on the list, don't need to haul the bike if it's not safe to ride.. Can't do bike maintenance until I order the proper springs and they show up, can't order them yet because I don't have part numbers yet, need to research preload adjusters and get them on order -- yet truck is having an issue I have to resolve, need to get my backup camera ordered as well -- I just have to prioritize.

So far the front bumper looks like the safest spot -- measured the whole rig yesterday, apparently truck is 21 feet long already -- so this whole rig is gonna get even bigger. Work is just brutal, it never ends -- been running 18 hour days lately, and sleep is limited and fretful with lots of waking up and remembering things in the form of "oh ****, I forgot" nightmares.

Gotta stay the course, but this has been pushed back.

Also need to weld up rear drop legs on trailer as loading/unloading might bend my rear axle it seems if I keep doing it without making necessary modifications.

9000 miles an hour! To infinity and beyond!

Old September 30th, 2014, 09:58 AM   #36
corksil

Alright. I found something that might work with some serious modification.

Pulled a tape on the bike, it's 80" from front to rear at longest point. 64" from contact patch to contact patch. If the truck is 7 feet wide, that leaves ~2" inches on either side if I center it.

Have also realized it's gonna block my headlights so I'll need to hook something better up.

Will try to post a pic of the nasty old hunk of steel I've found for this project.

It just might work if I sandblast it and rust convert it and give it a proper coat of paint.

And figure out how to mount it on the front bumper easily.

And a million other things. Still need to figure out how to secure it, but I haven't had a chance to put my mind on that yet.

Old September 30th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #37
corksil

And if I pull this off correctly it will still leave me 14" of ground clearance between the lowest point of the bike mount and the road.

It. just. might. work.

Muahahahahaha!

Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:44 PM   #38
corksil

Alright I've worked the part I need into a deal and will have it in my custody soon.

Plan is to pick it up
-take it home
-sandblast the piss out of it
-make necessary modifications
-rust convert it
-prime it with some badass primer i'll soon have
-paint that bitch with some proper paint
-mount it on the front of my truck
-park my bike on that motherfcuker
-roll around town getting (more) looks from the ladies
-???
-ride off into the sunset
-profit

Anyone see any holes in my plan?

inb4 thread gets no replies and the mosquito buzzing around my room is the only one who reads this post.

Old October 3rd, 2014, 11:02 PM   #39
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Nice pusher on the front of that truck. Hate to see you wack a deer with that beauty.

geeze. He must not like his bike - uses it as a bug deflector

hmmm nice hood ornament- finally somone found a use for one of those little bikes.

a----------n------------d

thoughts that will go through my head if I ever pass you driving down the road.\\

Good luck with the project. Make sure your welds are strong! We dont want your bike turned into a speed bump.