Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old May 7th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #1
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Lane Splitting Into Pedestrians

Watch out for inattentive people while splitting...

NOT AMERICA!

Link to original page on YouTube.

A comment by the biker:

Quote:
This could not have been much closer.

I was'nt going to stop in the middle of the intersection, so I decided to go for a reasonable and slow lane split (15 kmh).

I admit, a more experienced rider would have spotted the pedestrians walking amongst the cars..

In hindsight I probably should have stopped to verify that she was fine, but since there was no contact other than her hands on my shoulder I continued.

Nonetheless: It was green for the traffic and red for the pedestrians. If you cross when its red, at least look at the traffic (she looked at her feet).

Its also important to note that lane splitting per se is not illegal in Western Australia, whereas 'jaywalking' or crossing a red light as a pedestrian is.
... meanwhile in the United Kingdom

Link to original page on YouTube.

and his comment:

Quote:
i reported it to the police and it all got sorted idiot ran out infront of me with out looking and i couldent stop in time i was doing about 20 mph
and my little comment:
These are examples of poor lane splitting! I do lane split on almost every ride without incident. I've had pedestrians and cyclists jump out in front of me, but haven't hit any of them. I adjust my speed based on visibility and required stopping distance to account for the unexpected. I scan ahead constantly looking for zombies pedestrians and assume they will not see or here me (them hearing me hasn't been such a problem since I got myself an Area P exhaust... that thing is loud!). I posted these videos because they are interesting.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i have absolutely no sympathy for jay walkers. you know what you are crossing. try looking you retards.

though, in the second one, it was pretty obvious what was about to happen.

Old May 7th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #3
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I do have a question: Why is "America" written above the first video? The comment says Australia and they are driving on the wrong side of the road for the States.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #4
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
I do have a question: Why is "America" written above the first video? The comment says Australia and they are driving on the wrong side of the road for the States.
LOL, my bad! Fixed!

Old May 7th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
LOL i was expecting some sort of comparison between clueless american biker and more responsible somewhere else in the world biker, until i saw what side of the road they were on.

Can't blame us for everything!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #6
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
LOL i was expecting some sort of comparison between clueless american biker and more responsible somewhere else in the world biker, until i saw what side of the road they were on.

Can't blame us for everything!
Nope. We're all as bad as each other... except in England it often sometimes sounds more polite.

Old May 7th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
As much as I am with Alex on jaywalking, as riders/drivers, since pedestrians always have the right of way, we must be diligent. Users of the crosswalks in such heavy traffic need to be just as aware or even more so than the cagers/riders.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #8
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
in the first vid it looked like there was enough time to stop w/the speed that he was riding (a reasonable pace for both) but the rider probably thought he'd get through without issue regardless. The second one however should have never happened, the second rider should have seen her ages before the incident.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #9
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i have absolutely no sympathy for jay walkers. you know what you are crossing. try looking you retards.

though, in the second one, it was pretty obvious what was about to happen.

Old May 7th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #10
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
As much as I am with Alex on jaywalking, as riders/drivers, since pedestrians always have the right of way, we must be diligent. Users of the crosswalks in such heavy traffic need to be just as aware or even more so than the cagers/riders.
Pedestrians don't always have the right of way, at least in CA...according to CA vehicle code, if a pedestrian is crossing mid-block, they are required to yield to all approaching vehicles before entering the roadway. If a car has to slow or stop to not hit the pedestrian, the pedestrian has violated that vehicle's right of way and violated the vehicle code.

One misconception about jaywalking is that it's always illegal to cross mid block. It is always illegal to cross mid block between 2 signalized intersections. However, it is not illegal to cross mid block if one of the intersections is not signalized and the pedestrian can make it across without causing a vehicle to slow or stop. In the case of a pedestrian leaving a sidewalk to cross in the middle of a block, the vehicles on the roadway always have the right of way (at least in CA).

Pedestrians in a crosswalk (marked or unmarked) do pretty much always have the right of way, but they still have a duty not to enter the crosswalk if an approaching vehicle can not safely stop before reaching the crosswalk. I usually use the unmarked crosswalk at the corner of the street, even when crossing between non-signalized intersections. That way in case I get hit the burden of assumed guilt is automatically placed on the vehicle operator, not me.

We're all sharing a small strip of pavement, usually with the same goal in mind, getting where we need (or want) to go. If everybody substantially complies with the rules things go more smoothly. If pedestrians get the wrong idea in their head that they "always have the right of way" and start making their own rules for how they're going to use the roadway, bad things happen (same goes for bicyclists, motorcyclists, car drivers, truck drivers, etc.).
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #11
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

I feel awful for laughing

Old May 8th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #12
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb502 View Post
Pedestrians don't always have the right of way, at least in CA...according to CA vehicle code, if a pedestrian is crossing mid-block, they are required to yield to all approaching vehicles before entering the roadway. If a car has to slow or stop to not hit the pedestrian, the pedestrian has violated that vehicle's right of way and violated the vehicle code.

One misconception about jaywalking is that it's always illegal to cross mid block. It is always illegal to cross mid block between 2 signalized intersections. However, it is not illegal to cross mid block if one of the intersections is not signalized and the pedestrian can make it across without causing a vehicle to slow or stop. In the case of a pedestrian leaving a sidewalk to cross in the middle of a block, the vehicles on the roadway always have the right of way (at least in CA).

Pedestrians in a crosswalk (marked or unmarked) do pretty much always have the right of way, but they still have a duty not to enter the crosswalk if an approaching vehicle can not safely stop before reaching the crosswalk. I usually use the unmarked crosswalk at the corner of the street, even when crossing between non-signalized intersections. That way in case I get hit the burden of assumed guilt is automatically placed on the vehicle operator, not me.

We're all sharing a small strip of pavement, usually with the same goal in mind, getting where we need (or want) to go. If everybody substantially complies with the rules things go more smoothly. If pedestrians get the wrong idea in their head that they "always have the right of way" and start making their own rules for how they're going to use the roadway, bad things happen (same goes for bicyclists, motorcyclists, car drivers, truck drivers, etc.).
+1

It's similar in WV were a pedestrian must STOP and wait for a break in the traffic before crossing unless having a "walk" signal at a designated crosswalk. However, if a pedestrian is IN the crosswalk all vehicles in all lanes in both directions (unless there is a median separating the lanes) must stop to allow the person safe passage. Unfortunately these overly abbreviated "pedestrian cross signs" they put on the side of the roads have confused many people (drivers and pedestrians) into thinking vehicles must stop for them if they step out in traffic or if they are AT the designated crossing area waiting to cross.
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2014, 01:15 PM   #13
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fry1024 View Post
+1

It's similar in WV were a pedestrian must STOP and wait for a break in the traffic before crossing unless having a "walk" signal at a designated crosswalk. However, if a pedestrian is IN the crosswalk all vehicles in all lanes in both directions (unless there is a median separating the lanes) must stop to allow the person safe passage. Unfortunately these overly abbreviated "pedestrian cross signs" they put on the side of the roads have confused many people (drivers and pedestrians) into thinking vehicles must stop for them if they step out in traffic or if they are AT the designated crossing area waiting to cross.
Actually, I'll argue that it's people just being courteous, not stupid and confused. Unfortunately, courtesy is dead for most people on the east coast.

It's a shame too. Life's too short to stress about the small stuff. Let that pedestrian cross. Let that guy back out of his driveway on a busy road. Say hi to your neighbor. Feel better knowing that you made that person's life a lot easier with a small inconvenience in your own. After all, it's relationships with others in this world that matter, not arriving to the next stop light 5 seconds earlier. A little sacrifice goes a long way. do unto others...
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #14
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Don't know about Australia, the UK pedestrian has right of way, they legally can walk into a 60 or 70 mph "A road" and still have right of way. Only place they don't is on Motorways(3 lanes each way, 70mph limit roads).

Same in Ireland, a couple of days ago they finished up a high court case, a 12 year old jumped out from behind a lamp-post straight under the wheels of a Dublin bus, bus company was held 70% liable, €9 million damages awarded. Kid is a vegetable...

No good being right if you're dead right...
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #15
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Lane splitting is illegal here in MA. But I agree with most of us here. The pedestrians really were not paying attention, even the lady was friggin running into the street like an idiot.

Old May 9th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #16
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
Actually, I'll argue that it's people just being courteous, not stupid and confused. Unfortunately, courtesy is dead for most people on the east coast.

It's a shame too. Life's too short to stress about the small stuff. Let that pedestrian cross. Let that guy back out of his driveway on a busy road. Say hi to your neighbor. Feel better knowing that you made that person's life a lot easier with a small inconvenience in your own. After all, it's relationships with others in this world that matter, not arriving to the next stop light 5 seconds earlier. A little sacrifice goes a long way. do unto others...
Being courteous is fine if you're the only one sacrificing. Stopping in traffic to let someone cross is very inconsiderate to all the other drivers behind and adjacent to you b/c now they have to stop and let the person finish crossing the street as well. Don't forget that you're at risk of being rear ended, other drivers not stopping in time or panic stopping and getting read ended. Heck, there's even the off chance of a car that is stopped getting hit and pushed into the person crossing. It's a lot of avoidable danger and inconsideration going on to allow someone to cross.
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 9th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #17
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fry1024 View Post
Being courteous is fine if you're the only one sacrificing. Stopping in traffic to let someone cross is very inconsiderate to all the other drivers behind and adjacent to you b/c now they have to stop and let the person finish crossing the street as well. Don't forget that you're at risk of being rear ended, other drivers not stopping in time or panic stopping and getting read ended. Heck, there's even the off chance of a car that is stopped getting hit and pushed into the person crossing. It's a lot of avoidable danger and inconsideration going on to allow someone to cross.
Well put. I wanted to say something like that but was struggling to find the words... now you have found the words for me!

I also found that if I am being courteous on my bike, it diverts my attention from my riding which can put me in danger. I almost crashed once because of my desire to be courteous to another rider. I saw him coming in my mirror and made it my mission to not get in his way instead of just focusing on my own riding. I ended up ricocheting off the side of a van and almost crashing. Since then I've decided that courtesy is for caging. On my bike I just want to give all of my attention to my riding. A nice side effect is that when I just focus on myself I end up riding faster which means I tend to very rarely hold people up.

I don't take people's right of way, make people slow down for me or otherwise piss people off though. I just don't go out of my way to help people out when I don't have to. They can wait the extra few seconds for a gap or some cager can let them out.

Old May 9th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #18
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

In no way do I expect anyone to stop on a motorcycle. That'd be quite dangerous.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote