ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old July 7th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #1
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Pulled over!!!

That's right! LEO pulled me over! Wait till you here why. TLDR at the bottom.

It's 4th of July, just before Midnight. I spent all day with friends and family about 45 minutes from home. The morning ride up was beautiful and traffic was thin, considering. Fireworks, barbeque, badminton, and bocce ball. SWMBO came to join the party later in the day. I was headed out early and, being pregnant, she wanted a little bit more sleep. No big deal. I'll take the bike. All in all, a great day. Now to the good part.

Leaving from the Stepdad's house just before Midnight. Truck needs gas. So, I told the woman I would meet her at the gas station and headed out before she turned the truck around. Follow this path for me. A mile down the road, turn right. Half a mile down and theres a red light with train tracks in the intersection. Cross the tracks, through the intersection and a left turn into the gas station.

As I am coming to the red light, I see a car pull out of a side street behind me. As a defensive rider, knowing that there could be drunk drivers tonight, along with the normal never-look cagers, I do a SMIDSY weave a few feet before the light. Stop right on the line, so the light reads the bike, and patiently wait for the green. The car behind comes to a nice controlled stop with acceptable distance between the two of us.

As I take a peek in my mirror, I notice the light bar going across the top of the car. Thats right. It's a cop. No big deal though. I proceed through the intersection when the light turns green, flip my left turn signal, and even use a hand signal to make sure this cop (who followed me through) knows I'm turning. Just as I start the turn, he flips on the freedom lights! Well what the hell?!

Ok, stay calm. I've never been stopped on the bike before. Just take it easy. I pull over, right outside the gas station parking lot. Kickstand down, bike off, drop keys on the ground to my left. Took my helmet off and set it on the tank. Stay on the bike.

The cop comes walking over, looking mad. I still don't know what I did. "What the hell was that man?!" he said to me, rather aggressively. Admittedly, I was a little nervous at this point. More on that in a bit. I gave him a puzzled look, because I really had no idea what his problem was. I was stopped on the line at the light. I signaled my turn. What did I do?

"Back at the light. I thought you were gonna fall the **** over!" he yelled. Pause. Wait. Hold on a garsh darn minute. Realization hits. I just got pulled over for a SMIDSY weave?! Yeah I did. So, I explained to him. It was a SMIDSY weave. It stands for "Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You." It's just a basic, defensive riding technique, to make sure the cars around me notice I'm there. "Well, I ride a motorcycle and I've never heard of that before. Let me see your license" he says, still displaying an awful amount of aggression.

This is why I was nervous. It's after dark. I have a permit. That's right guys. Confession time. I'm was riding illegally

So I hand him my regular license, and my class M permit. He gives me a look (you know the kind) and says "Stay right here"

Then he drives away! Confused? I was too. Another cop had pulled up to take over. This one happened to be behind my girl in the truck (who was not happy to drive past and see me on the side of the road with freedom lights less than 2 miles out).

He comes over, "How we doing tonight buddy", leaning in close to see if I've been drinking.

"To be honest, a little nervous. Never been pulled over on the bike before" I replied.

He looks at my permit for a second. "Little late for you to be out with just this, isn't it?" waving the paper for emphasis.

"Yeah. I got caught up at my stepdad's house celebrating. I'm headed home now. Just had to stop for gas."

He looks at me and leans real close, "Had anything to drink tonight?"

"No sir. I don't touch this bike if I've been drinking"

"Well, the other officer had to leave. What did he pull you over for?"

At this point, I explain the SMIDSY weave again. I'm a defensive rider. I do what I can to make sure I'm noticed. That makes sense to me. After I explained what happened, the cop rolls his eyes and says
"Well, it worked. You certainly were noticed." He hands me back my license with a friendly, "Have a nice night and ride safe"

TLDR:

Pulled over for defensive riding. First cop was a dick. Second was cool.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old July 7th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
lol @ the "well it worked"
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I posted this exact same story some time ago cept it was just one cop. I smidsied him, because he was the left turner lol. He told me "pretty ballzy to weave right in front of a cop". I told him "you're just as human as the next guy and might pull out in front of me".

Tips for next time;
Your weave may have been too aggressive, a little weave goes a long way in the eyes of other drivers, even more so at night.

Get legal!
Stay on the bike - check, you got that
Don't fiddle with stuff
Keep helmet on - they will ask you to remove it if needed
Don't seem nervous, even if you really are. Confidence will get you outta sooooooo many tickets
Be polite but don't offer up too much free information, they can and WILL use it against you

Most cops in my area have NO CLUE what the smidsy is, I have educated them one at a time as I see them and the topic is appropriate to bring up, I still have a long way to go...
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #4
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

I had remembered reading on another site (Rideapart I think) about what to do when you are pulled over. The only part I remembered clearly was dropping the keys by the kickstand

Old July 7th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscreations08 View Post
I had remembered reading on another site (Rideapart I think) about what to do when you are pulled over. The only part I remembered clearly was dropping the keys by the kickstand
Lol wtf... no, that is just plain silly.

Old July 7th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #6
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
that's reserved for people like this

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 7th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I think I'm just going to print out one of Motofool's linked articles about the maneuver and have it ready just in case.

I got SMIDSY-weaved at yesterday when I was in the cage, at a stop, and staring at traffic coming from my left. I laughed because I recognized exactly what it was even though it was the first time I had ever seen anyone else do it.

Also, the circumstance was that I was trying to annoy my brother in the car behind me by not taking my opportunity to go earlier.

Now, it wasn't anything that anyone would ever think looked even remotely capable of tipping the bike, so I think you may be a bit too vigorous, Kevin!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 7th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #8
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Haha I smidsy - but luckily never a cop

I can never remember the acronym so the police would think I'm really dumb when I tell them I saw it as a safety move on YouTube lol!!!
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
Haha I smidsy - but luckily never a cop

I can never remember the acronym so the police would think I'm really dumb when I tell them I saw it as a safety move on YouTube lol!!!
I know what you mean, of course, but you kinda just implied that you pull right out in front of bikes you don't see.

Old July 7th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #10
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Now, it wasn't anything that anyone would ever think looked even remotely capable of tipping the bike, so I think you may be a bit too vigorous, Kevin!
I had put some thought into this one. When I first learned about the SMIDSY, I was impressed by the amount of lean and weave you can get. So I started practicing in a parking lot, and later on the street, at all speeds. In my mind, at least, the more dramatic the weave, the more likely you'll be noticed. Apparently, I'm pretty good at it now

Old July 7th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Remember the purpose of the smidsy is just to break you out of blending in with the background vs. a slalom run. lol

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 7th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #12
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
slalom runs are fun though, they keep you in tune with your bike's turn in while you're bored on the highway

Old July 7th, 2014, 09:55 PM   #13
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
yeah, and when a rider does it right in front of you creates for a funny double take.

I was watching a car pull up to exit a side road and when Chris suddenly wiggled, it made me snap my attention to him to figure out WTF. Brain was half a second behind in identifying it so I was almost looking for a pothole or something.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #14
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Not sure you can blame the officer for pulling you over... midnight, july fourth, weaving motorcycle...

I'd have pulled you over too.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 05:49 AM   #15
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I've been doing these for years, only I've always heard them called 'lateral weave', not 'SMIDSY weave'.

Smart idea, terrible acronym.

Last futzed with by capt_bugaloo; July 8th, 2014 at 10:51 AM. Reason: corrected for more accuracy
capt_bugaloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 06:08 AM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
I've been doing these for years, only I've always heard them called 'lateral weave', not SMIDSY. Smart idea, terrible acronym.
It's not called SMIDSY. A SMIDSY is what you are trying to prevent, hence, "SMIDSY Avoidance Maneuver" or "[anti-]SMIDSY weave" or "lateral weave." Nothing is official.

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:00 AM   #17
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Wow you drop your keys on the ground that's sad lol.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 8th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

SMIDSY is fun to say.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:36 AM   #19
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

I have been pulled over on a motorcycle before.

Never dropped my keys, usually don't even remove them from the ignition.

But I have only been pulled over on enduros and cruiser…

I might have to use that when they get me on my rocket lol
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:40 AM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
yeah, and when a rider does it right in front of you creates for a funny double take.

I was watching a car pull up to exit a side road and when Chris suddenly wiggled, it made me snap my attention to him to figure out WTF. Brain was half a second behind in identifying it so I was almost looking for a pothole or something.
I remember that! Left turner in front of the UDF or was it the cage that was wanting to pull out of one of the roads on right?. Unfortunately, a couple of riders have taken a hit at those intersections.

Old July 8th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #21
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I've been pulled over as well, left the keys in the ignition in the OFF position. I just took off my helmet and gloves (left them on the tank) and sat there with the bike on the side stand. I think that made it clear I was wasn't going to ride off or try any monkey business.

I made sure to explain where things were before I went reaching for them. For example:
"can I see your license and registration?"
"sure, my wallet's in my chest pocket. *opens suit and gives them license* and my other info is under my seat in the tail" *opens the seat and gets little plastic baggy with info*

The officer seemed to relax a lot when I explained things before I did them. It was funny though, he definitely took an obvious look at my storage section under the seat when I had it open.

Just use some common sense and be nice and don't freak out. The officers usually aren't dickish if you talk normally and don't act like a jerk. Be aware that they're trained to expect idiots with hidden weapons who try to run, just like we train ourselves to expect everyone to turn left in front of us. This training makes them a little jumpy and reactive. That's normal. Talking casually and walking them through your actions ahead of time is better for everyone involved, plus it sets you up as responsible and truthful when your license and information is right where you said it would be and you don't act suspicious. The more calm everyone is, the better your traffic stop will go.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 08:17 AM   #22
fishdip

Next time pull out your ak and slame 20 rounds in to the windshield that will teach him not to be such a dick.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 8th, 2014, 09:04 AM   #23
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
Not sure you can blame the officer for pulling you over... midnight, july fourth, weaving motorcycle...

Yeah, that part's reasonable, but being a dick about it...not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
Yeah, that part's reasonable, but being a dick about it...not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
Quite possibly the most useful and well presented video on youtube.

Quote:
What you say CAN and WILL be used against you but it CANNOT be used FOR you in a court of law.

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #25
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post

In retrospect, it makes sense. I wasn't, by any means, offended. Just surprised I guess. It felt like being pulled over for doing the speed limit, because thats suspicious.

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #26
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
Next time pull out your ak and slame 20 rounds in to the windshield that will teach him not to be such a dick.
And then tell him it's Second Amendment rights? Hmmm... I think I'll pass on that
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #27
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
Wow you drop your keys on the ground that's sad lol.
I guess everyone handles it differently. Let me explain why I drop the keys down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
...they're trained to expect idiots with hidden weapons who try to run, just like we train ourselves to expect everyone to turn left in front of us. This training makes them a little jumpy and reactive. That's normal. Talking casually and walking them through your actions ahead of time is better for everyone involved, plus it sets you up as responsible and truthful when your license and information is right where you said it would be and you don't act suspicious. The more calm everyone is, the better your traffic stop will go.

Understand now?

Thanks Chone That made the explanation easy for me

Old July 9th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #28
fishdip

Nope never have taken out the keys and have never had a problem.

Quote:
I guess everyone handles it differently. Let me explain why I drop the keys down.

Understand now?

Thanks Chone That made the explanation easy for me