ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 22nd, 2016, 12:41 AM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Time for a new lid.

And I'm lazy. Instead of scouring my go-to online mail-order gear site and weighing in the reviews and best-sellers versus best ratings and comments, I'm asking here.

If you were in the market for a new helmet, what would be your top-pick?

Not too concerned with visual appeal -- moreso safety and practicality. Light weight is a major plus for me.

I've been rocking a bell star carbon for the past few years and I'm at the point where I can tear all the pads out and clean them for the last time in hopes of getting another few months of use, or upgrade to something new and fresh.

A large beetle to the face at highway speed destroyed my nose shield the other day, and the chromatic visor is chipped beyond repair.

Perhaps it's time to replace the entire lid instead of dumping another 120 into a replacement visor and more on top of that for other repair parts.

If you were going to buy a new helmet, what would your best pick be?

Thanks.

Old March 22nd, 2016, 12:48 AM   #2
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I'd get another bell, they're quality helmets and I've been liking the vortex line and I know the star line is pretty sweet at it's price point.

if it's worked well for you so far, why switch? Fitment can be inconsistent from brand to brand so if you do decide to switch just make sure you try on a helmet from the model line you want to make sure the fitment is right before you buy

To answer for my pick I'd get another vortex or star from bell, leaning vortex due to price while both are snell rated and good to go to protect my head

Old March 22nd, 2016, 01:15 AM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I wear Fulmer helmets exclusively.

Whenever I'm looking for reviews I turn to WebBikeWorld

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Good luck, remember that a proper fitting helmet is your number one priority.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 04:19 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
One that fits.

This has been covered time and again... reviews, opinions and recommendations are meaningless if the thing doesn't fit right.

Arai has some really good fitting videos, and there are other resources just a quick search away.

Re safety: This too has been kicked around the planet a couple of hundred dozen times, with impassioned arguments for and against every safety standard and shell construction out there. My takeaway: You won't go wrong with an ECE or Snell-rated helmet. DOT, maybe or maybe not, because as I understand it the manufacturers are basically on the honor system. Stick with a known, reputable brand and don't sweat it.

Re practicality: My personal experience is as follows:

- An internal sun visor is a wonderful thing to have in a street helmet. This automatically eliminates Snell ratings because they won't certify any helmet with such a device, period, even if it's a great helmet. I'd love to try a Transitions shield, but not so sure about the whole purplish tint thing.

- I've had helmets with D rings, and helmets with quick-release ratchets. I prefer D-rings.

- You may wind up replacing the shield before you replace the helmet. Stick with a brand that has readily available shields.

My own take:

- For the budget-conscious, Scorpion delivers good value. The shields are anti-fog out of the box and even the low-end helmets are Snell-rated.

- I happen to have a Shoei-shaped head, but I don't fit the current Bell helmets at all. I might fit the new Star series, though. If I were to buy a new lid tomorrow, it'd probably be a Shoei.

PS: Food for thought: You said "Not too concerned with visual appeal -- moreso safety and practicality." Visuals ARE part of safety, which is why I wear neon yellow helmets on the street. These are getting harder to find in top brands, though. My second choice would be solid yellow. Third would be solid white.

PPS: Spending more does not guarantee better fit and finish. I like the Schuberth I wear on the street, but frankly the details on my track Shoei are superior.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 06:44 AM   #5
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Another Bell Star Carbon. Why change what works??

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:30 AM   #6
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

If you wanted a MX style helmet I would be the goto, but unfortunately, I dont know whats good in the onroad market. I personally run one a HJC HJ-05, and it is decent for $100, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anybody. I love my FOX V4 and it is worth every penny of the $600.

Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:41 AM   #7
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
One that fits.

This has been covered time and again... reviews, opinions and recommendations are meaningless if the thing doesn't fit right.
+1

Personally, I try and find the lightest helmet possible(or I can afford); less weight=less stress on your neck, less inertia on your neck when you crash.

More gadgets attached in or on or helmet just cause more stress/injury when you ride/things go bad.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:54 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
/sigh... I have to get a new lid this year too. I hate shopping for helmets. Good luck finding what you need.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2016, 09:02 AM   #9
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

Shoei GT-Air.. best lid I've ever worn. Feels more solid than an Arai, and I don't like the fit of AGVs.

I also whole-heartedly suggest the Shoei Qwest or RF series, but the GT-Air has the internal flip down shield, which is soooooo nice.

Old March 22nd, 2016, 12:41 PM   #10
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

I have a GT-Air as well, and the flip down sun shield is AMAZING! I don't think I could do without it now.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2016, 02:05 PM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Yeah, the GT-air is on the current short list for "if I needed a street helmet tomorrow" consideration. Fits me great and I hear nothing but good things about ventilation.

I just wish they made it in hi-viz. And no, a matte-black helmet with a single neon stripe does not count.

I suppose I could live with solid yellow.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2016, 02:19 PM   #12
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

You could just use a roll of hi viz tape and wrap the whole thing....on a $500 helmet haha

Old March 22nd, 2016, 03:11 PM   #13
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Another Bell Star Carbon. Why change what works??
My hubby loves his.

I have a scorpion and like the way it fits me, I did not like the Speed and strenght for my head shape.

Old March 22nd, 2016, 05:20 PM   #14
chugs
Schönen Tag noch

Name: c

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250 race bike, 02 gixxer 600 telefonica

Like others have mentioned fitment is the key element.
chugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2016, 06:17 PM   #15
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Husband and I both have Shoei helmets, though I don't know the particular model. He's got a Transitions shield and loves it. I wear sunglasses.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2016, 09:24 PM   #16
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I've heard from a lot of people that LS2 is the safest brand of helmet, but have found no evidence from my 'ol pal Google. So take that with a grain of salt. I just go to the dealership, try on a few, and when I find the glass slipper that fits, I google it. If the price at the dealership is unfairly larger than the online cost, I'll buy it online. If it's reasonable (considering overhead costs of the business, etc), I'll buy it local.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #17
Yamahawk
Chaplain

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 75 RD350 race bike, 82 XZ550RJ Vision, 81 XV920RH, 89 VTR250 Interceptor race bike, 06 Concours, 86 EX250E1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
My hubby loves his.

I have a scorpion and like the way it fits me, I did not like the Speed and strenght for my head shape.
^ ^ ^
Yep, on my second Scorpion and I don't think you can beat the safety and features in their line. My first one bit the track last year, and I really liked it! So, I bought an EXO-710 Flight helmet, it fits great for my head and I like it. For the $209.00 I spent, it will last until have to place it for age or damage, every 5 years from the date of manufacture, we have replace them for racing. This one was July 2015, so I have a lot of time left on it! I tried a Bell (the cheap one) and this fit wasn't as nice as the Scorpion for my head.

Old March 27th, 2016, 12:58 PM   #18
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Just bought a Shoei Quest yesterday. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I hate shopping for helmets. Good luck on your search. As others have said. Go with the one that fits your head the best.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #19
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
I've had the Bell Star and Arai Signet GTR and the Signet kicks the Bell's a$$ in the fit department for me.

I was just in the market for a helmet that I'll use for racing and I found that Sportbike Track Gear had a closeout sale on the Vemar Eclipse. Normally a $360.00 helmet for 99.95. Made in Italy and it has a carbon? fiberglass shell. I ordered it yesterday, free shipping and the helmet arrived today. Fit is good. Not quite as nice a fit as the Arai, but still pretty good. A really nice lid for the money and it has all the helmet test certifications that I need. It came with a clear shield on the helmet and an extra tinted shield for free. A nice helmet bag too.

If I'd have gone all out in the helmet dept, I would have bought the Arai Signet Q, but I needed to go easy on my race budget so the Vemar won out.

Update: The manufacture date for this helmet is somewhere between 2010 and 2012. Depending on your race organization's requirements, that may be too old.

Last futzed with by tgold; March 30th, 2016 at 01:28 PM.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2016, 06:53 PM   #20
corksil

Thanks for all the Intel. I bought a used icon Battlestar variant today. Fit is good, I'll post a follow-up once I ride with it on. Now it's time to rebuild the old Bell star carbon so I have a nice fresh helmet and an older one I can wear when my head is not very fresh ie on the way home from work etc.

Old April 2nd, 2016, 06:54 PM   #21
corksil

Also came with a Sena smhr something or other installed.

Bluetooth and music and intercom features.. Looking forward to seeing how it works and sounds.