ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old January 29th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #81
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Chris, not for nothing but how about pulling a hood over your face you're scaring the kids. You have the smile of a cereal (not serial) killer. I'm thinking Special K.
Let's go with milk instead of cereal.

This any better smile? NOT DOT/SNELL APPROVED!!!!

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #82
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Haha yeah that's better.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #83
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Just giving an update on how inspirational this thread is. I've been watching what I eat for the past 4 weeks and have dropped approximately 8 pounds while feeling more energized and waking up less groggy.

I've ordered a scale that also calculates body fat so I will be tracking that as well as starting up a regular workout routine.
@csmith12, do you have any recommendations on where to start in regards to gym equipment/machines to target the abs/biceps? My abs are hidden behind flab and my biceps are probably the same size as my forearms. I'm a newbie when it comes to anything other than a treadmill.

Last futzed with by menikmati; January 30th, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #84
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
Just giving an update on how inspiration this thread is. I've been watching what I eat for the past 4 weeks and have dropped approximately 8 pounds while feeling more energized and waking up less groggy.

I've ordered a scale that also calculates body fat so I will be tracking that as well as starting up a regular workout routine.
@csmith12, do you have any recommendations on where to start in regards to gym equipment/machines to target the abs/biceps? My abs are hidden behind flab and my biceps are probably the same size as my forearms. I'm a newbie when it comes to anything other than a treadmill.
Hmmmm, abs and biceps. I don't think it’s really possible to target fat loss in a specific area, at least I can't. So as far as getting your 6 pack, you can try what I am doing if you think it will help you.

Diet: Kill all non-essential fats in your diet, so your burning what you have stored vs. what you’re eating. This will make whatever cardio you’re doing more effective.

Upper abs:
Decline bench setups - body weight only, 3 sets of 50 reps. it should burn like hell!
Floor crunches/setups - get a floor mat and cradle a dumbbell or plate on your chest to get the ab muscles to fail with low reps (20 or less)

Lower abs:
Floor leg raise - a floor pad goes a long way
Hanging leg raise - use support equipment if your just starting and work your strength up to just hanging on a pull up bar. Once you get really strong, you can keep the legs straight during the lifts. Ankle weights can be added to get a failure with lower reps.

Maybe your gym has something like this for support

IMHO, if one wants to trim up there waistline, they should do much work with the legs and back. Large muscles need a lot of energy. Once good and fired up, they should feed on fat stores all day long.

As far as your biceps. I look at the upper arms as 2 main parts, bicep (30%) and triceps (70%). So if one wants bigger guns and stronger arms, don't forget the triceps. I do what is called a "Giant Set" for these. Don’t let the term scare you any, a giant set is simply a rotation of lifts with no rest in between.
Giant set arms:
Rope pull down - link
Standing bicep curl - with ez-curl bar
Preacher bench curls - individual dumbbells or machine, the bench or machine will really focus on the bicep
Skull crushers - link

Of course you can do these NOT as a giant set as well. When I do these, I have enough weight on each exercise to cause failure in about 8-10 reps and then immediately move to the next exercise. I do this rotation 3 times, takes about 10 or so minutes + minimal recovery time.

If your new to all this, start at your own pace and have fun with it. I hope I have helped you and good luck.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #85
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Oh! gratz on the 8lbs too.

Old January 30th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #86
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker View Post
I started mountain biking again a couple weeks ago and insanity started tonight. Here we go!
Let us know how you do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica View Post
I'm back on track with my workouts and oh how I didn't miss the leg days. Nothing better than walking around like Bubba had his way with you last night.
Legs tonight for me!!!! Is it odd that I am looking forward to it?

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #87
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

I'd say it's odd. Insanity is beating my ass so far, but I'm making it. I will probably sub mountain biking for an insanity day here and there. Evidentially four hours of motorcycling counts for something on Runtastic Pro. Who knew?!
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #88
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

OMG...

Legs was a killer tonight.

Leg extension - 10 sets DTS style
Seated leg curl - 10 sets DTS style
Leg press - 5 sets DTS style, 1 set max weight

I am going to be sore in the AM for sure.

Old January 30th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #89
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

You should do general stability stuff too. Especially for your core. You want to make sure your muscles engage the way they're supposed to when you're not thinking about it (ie when standing or sitting) and especially for something like riding, which I feel is mostly core.

Though I'm coming at this from a knowledge of body stuff in terms of movementy dancey stuff than from riding.

Also, HIIT.
BlueHairSar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #90
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

How do you train for stability aside of yoga?

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #91
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
How do you train for stability aside of yoga?
There are some exercises you can do that don't traditionally fall in the vein of "yoga" but that have similar characteristics. And it also depends on your body and if/where your misalignment and weaknesses are. I have all kinds of f***ed up bones and weird alignment things, so I know what works for me to make sure I keep stuff strong so my hip doesn't dislocate, for instance, but my guess is you probably don't have that problem, so I'm not necessarily that much help there...

Also, yoga is often about dynamic moving through positions kind of stretching and less about strengthening. I don't know all that much about it, but I think Pilates targets the strengthening part a little more. Though typically anything that requires keeping balance while going through the motions of the exercise is going to help, which IS some yoga.

EDIT... I start getting blabbery after 10... did anything that I just said make sense?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #92
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Yea, made sense thanks. Interesting, I will have to look more into it. I like to mix things up some. Like most riders who have been injured, I could use some more stability in my shoulder that I had surgery on.

Feel free to blab on, I like to read after 10. hahahahahah

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #93
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Look into stuff associate with this: http://www.chekinstitute.com/

They're good for that kind of stuff. Also, yea! Shoulders! Super-easy to make things worse with improper technique! For instance, if you're doing push ups, keeping your elbows in, and your arms parallel with your body GREATLY reduced stress in your shoulders. And they're usually harder, which is an added bonus. And just 'cause you posted the pullupy video, when you do the deadhang before you pull up, it's really better if you always keep your shoulders engaged, don't let them rise up: As you're sitting at your desk right now, raise your arms straight up into the air. You see how you probably automatically lifted your shoulders so that they go right up to your ears? That's not great for them when your body weight is dangling from them, it puts A LOT of stress on the joint, rather than on the muscles that hold the joint. Now, with your arms straight up again, engage your shoulders, pulling them back down to shoulder-height (instead of ear-height) while keeping your arms in the air. That's where you REALLY want to be any time you're dangling to help protect them. And also don't forget to keep your core engaged while doing all of that stuff. Yay.

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #94
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I will remember that. There are some lifts I want to do but can't. Such as a shoulder press on a smith machine, so I can go really heavy. Maybe some of this will allow me to do lighter weights. I have homework to do now.

Also, that pullupy thing in the video is called a salmon ladder. It's hard enough to go up but believe it or not, it's even harder to go down. I still can't do it.

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #95
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Also, that pullupy thing in the video is called a salmon ladder. It's hard enough to go up but believe it or not, it's even harder to go down. I still can't do it.
I believe you! Also... must...resist..."going down"...jokes...

Can you do a ... oh bother, I'm completely blanking on what it's called. You do a pull up, and then continue up over the bar, so that you and with your arms extended straight down, hands on either side of your hips. That one's fun... or I'd assume, being as I can't do it.

Old January 31st, 2013, 03:08 AM   #96
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Quote:
OMG...

Legs was a killer tonight.

Leg extension - 10 sets DTS style
Seated leg curl - 10 sets DTS style
Leg press - 5 sets DTS style, 1 set max weight

I am going to be sore in the AM for sure.
No type of squat variation? Those are what really get me and they work a ton of muscles. If you want more stability from workouts use dumbbells and stay in tempo when lifting. Such as if you were doing something like a simple dumbbell curl, take 1-2 seconds to reach the top of the curl and on the way down take 2-3 seconds.

Do you do muscle isolation exercises or hit multiple muscles during each workout?
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2013, 06:04 AM   #97
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHairSar View Post
I believe you! Also... must...resist..."going down"...jokes...

Can you do a ... oh bother, I'm completely blanking on what it's called. You do a pull up, and then continue up over the bar, so that you and with your arms extended straight down, hands on either side of your hips. That one's fun... or I'd assume, being as I can't do it.
lol, I set myself up there didn't I. I am not sure if I can go over the bar like you explain, never tried. It just might become my new goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica View Post
No type of squat variation? Those are what really get me and they work a ton of muscles. If you want more stability from workouts use dumbbells and stay in tempo when lifting. Such as if you were doing something like a simple dumbbell curl, take 1-2 seconds to reach the top of the curl and on the way down take 2-3 seconds.

Do you do muscle isolation exercises or hit multiple muscles during each workout?
Lets take a stab at this....
When I first started (first 3 weeks), I did mostly compound exercises just to get back in the grove. Now 3 months in, I do a ton of isolation lifts and mostly use my select weight dumbbell at home. The gym equipment is nice for isolation because all you have to do is seat yourself and go, it helps you force a better form. Where as at home with just a bench.... you know.

I am sucking up my pain to get squats done. It's been 3yrs since my shoulder surgery and it's still numb until touched, then it I feel a burning pain sensation. Which makes squats extra hard for me. At home, I feel I can do about 200 squats with just body weight. So I slow them way down. I do a few sets in the gym because I don't get access to the equipment often enough. And when I do, I go really heavy. 500lbs+

I have a rotation of muscle groups I hit to ensure I don't over train and get plenty of rest/recovery time. My current rotation gets my workout done in just over an hour.

Legs
Rest
Chest & triceps
Calf & abs
Rest
Shoulders & back
Weak areas, stretching and yoga

I do 3 hours of TKD a week. 2 classes and 1 hour of practice at home. And at least 20 mins of cardio every day. It takes a huge effort to work this in my schedule every week. With working, kids and all that comes with it, I really have to stick to my schedule to make it work. And diet is still the hardest part.

What do you mean "stay in tempo"?

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:05 AM   #98
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
lol, I set myself up there didn't I. I am not sure if I can go over the bar like you explain, never tried. It just might become my new goal.
Oh! Muscle up. It's called a muscle up. http://vimeo.com/10268820

This vid's actually better; shows it on a bar w/o using your body's momentum, which is really where you want it to be.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old January 31st, 2013, 07:20 AM   #99
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Some of you may not know what DTS/DTP is. It's a method of doing an exercise that targets fat loss, endurance, focus and stress management (on body and mind).

Here is the deal, you will do 10 sets followed by 45secs to a minute of rest between sets.

Here was mine on the legs press last night.
Set 1 = 50 reps @ 45lbs (pretty easy I thought, skipped rest and added plates)
Set 2 = 40 reps @ 135lbs (not to bad, focused on breathing)
Set 3 = 30 reps @ 225lbs (really buring, more breathing focus)
Set 4 = 20 reps @ 315lbs (really really burning)
Set 5 = 10 reps @ 495lbls (burning seems to be moving into feet)
Set 6 = 10 reps @ 495lbls (lightheaded and nearly throw up, forgot to focus on breathing)
Set 7 = 20 reps @ 315lbs (getting mad and have huge leg pump)
Set 8 = 30 reps @ 225lbs (wife is asking me what is wrong and she talks me back into focus)
Set 9 = 40 reps @ 135lbs (can't walk right to remove plates, had to take almost 10 minute break here to get myself composed)
Set 10 = 50 reps @ 45lbs (lightheaded again)

This was insane, and I had 3 or 4 lifters ask me WTF I was thinking at the end. I just smiled and know that those 30 minute races this season are going to be a walk in the park. When everyone else is dying, I am going to be getting my second wind.

Old January 31st, 2013, 08:41 AM   #100
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Quote:
I do 3 hours of TKD a week. 2 classes and 1 hour of practice at home. And at least 20 mins of cardio every day. It takes a huge effort to work this in my schedule every week. With working, kids and all that comes with it, I really have to stick to my schedule to make it work. And diet is still the hardest part.

What do you mean "stay in tempo"?
Yeah I don't know how you stay motivated with all of that ha. And you can do different types or squats that'll be easier on your shoulder and you don't need a tower either. I have an issue with lack of flexibility in my shoulders plus don't want up risk popping my right one out again, so I don't do traditional squats I do a few variations. I'm on mobile now but the bodybuilding site has a great list of exercises per muscle so you could see what type you like.

As for tempo I just mean when doing dumbbell/barbell lifts stay in a rhythm and control your lifts both up and down. When I was new I figured I could just curl the bar up with more weight as quick as possible and let it kind of just fall back to the starting position, but that wasn't right. Then I learned that maybe using less weight but more control of your form (which can be hard using free weights) is a lot better and harder. You may have that control but I'm just throwing that out there in general because a lot of people using free weights do what I used to do but you're cheating yourself and not working the muscle to full potential like you could. When you go to the gym watch someone who looks relatively new trying to dumbbell curl, chances are they're using too much weight and using there back to aid in curling it by just swinging the weight up and down.

And I agree that diet is the hardest part but I've found some pretty good healthy recipes that make dieting more enjoyable, such as protein pancakes, either plain or ones that taste like pumpkin pie. It also helps that I used to work at a fast food place when I was a teen and ever since I almost never eat that stuff..except chipotle.

Old January 31st, 2013, 08:55 AM   #101
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Ah yea, swingers... I used to be one a long time ago. Your talking about putting equal or even more focus on the negative part of the lift.

Motivation is hard to come by, sometimes it takes just sheer determination and willpower.

Old January 31st, 2013, 09:11 AM   #102
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Yeah I usually don't have much motivation to want to workout when I get home but once I start I remember why I enjoy it. I just wish I could trim my obliques but for some reason they don't want to do much. I had abs showing pretty good last year but my obliques never changed much so I'm hoping this year to figure out why, especially when running didn't even help..any ideas? It looks like I have slight love handles but you can barely grab any fat.

Old January 31st, 2013, 09:22 AM   #103
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Yea, try these.

High reps with body weight only to start and then lower rep count add weight as you get stronger. I use a chair or my bench with a large pillow at home.

Old January 31st, 2013, 09:30 AM   #104
nautica
Gixxer Powered

I'll have to see what I can come up with at home for those and will give em a go tonight since its cardio/ab stuff tonight. Thanks

Old January 31st, 2013, 09:47 AM   #105
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
There is this guy who rides motorcycles and works out and races and works at places where people work and he is on this video talking about how he works out and races and works at places where people work.

http://www.onthethrottle.com/races/t...ck-and-famous/

Old January 31st, 2013, 10:02 AM   #106
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Cool vid CC!

Old February 1st, 2013, 10:21 PM   #107
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Ok, let's see who is holding up diet wise.

This is inside my fridge. I still have to please the kids so there are some things I would like to get rid of but hey.... It's still 90% good stuff.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:33 AM   #108
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Eggs, strawberries and OJ (not Simpson) is all I see that's healthy.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:07 AM   #109
nautica
Gixxer Powered

For bulking milk isn't that bad and orange juice has a lot of sugar in it, although a lot of it is natural sugar. For the most part he doesn't have too much crap in there, a lot of that isn't horrible for you if you control the portion, especially when trying to put on a little mass.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:13 AM   #110
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Bacon and CoffeeMate. I'm in
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:23 AM   #111
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

No bacon or pork for me, that's for the kids. Coffee mate is my guilty pleasure.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:54 AM   #112
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Bacon is probably actually pretty good for you if you're trying to lose fate and gain muscle. I'd nix, or cut way down on the OJ though. And if you're going to have fruit, berries are the best way to go.

Quote:
Ah yea, swingers... I used to be one a long time ago.

Well, I guess all those comments about bringing me AND your wive to China are starting to make sense.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:07 PM   #113
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Well well.... That is not quite was I was meaning but lets go with that.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:24 PM   #114
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

BTW, this is the new best emoticon EVER.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 05:12 PM   #115
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

I have a new found struggle after week one of insanity - eating. I eat between 1400-2000 calories a day, but not starved. However, I bonked the last 10 minutes of the plyometric cardio circuit. The Harris Benedict formula says I need 2873 calories to maintain my current weight. How in the hell can I eat that many calories without eating pure crap? My original goal was to drop to 145 lbs, but I've dropped 5 lbs from 160 already in three weeks of mountain biking and running.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 05:29 PM   #116
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker View Post
I have a new found struggle after week one of insanity - eating. I eat between 1400-2000 calories a day, but not starved. However, I bonked the last 10 minutes of the plyometric cardio circuit. The Harris Benedict formula says I need 2873 calories to maintain my current weight. How in the hell can I eat that many calories without eating pure crap? My original goal was to drop to 145 lbs, but I've dropped 5 lbs from 160 already in three weeks of mountain biking and running.
Marathon runners carb load. Empty carbs are bad if you are looking to limit your calorie intake. If you are getting all the micro-nutrients on your diet from 1400-2000 calories and you need more calories then drink more beer or go to Dairy Queen and and down a Blizzard. I wish I had your problem.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:03 PM   #117
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I feel what you are saying. It's hard to eat that much without getting into a lot of fat or the same foods getting boring. I am hitting about 2600-3k calories per day but my workout is pretty intense.

[Food for thought]
I personally think that 2800 number is a touch high. I am gaining weight on less than that. I eat 5-7 times a day, no one meal is much bigger or smaller than my fist, each one between 350-450 calories. I have found, that what I eat and when I eat it plays a role in how much available energy is on hand. For example. I do eat carbs but I do it before a workout. About 1 -1.5 hours should be enough time for your body to convert that to energy for your workout. After that, I get most of my carbs from veggies that have no fat and little calories.

Also, there are different kinds of proteins. Some break down into energy faster than others. Take fish for example, it digests fast and becomes fuel for your workout fire. Fish and potatoes is my pre-workout meal. I throw some salt on there to help retain some water while working too.

Before I started all this, I consumed about 2k calories per day but in 3 square meals. And would feel sluggish on the days where my workout is later in the day or at night. Or... at then end of a track day, I would be wiped out and the 3.5 hour ride home was a welcome rest.
[/Food for thought]

I fancy a tasteful good meal and have started to look for alternative foods that fit in my diet. I stumbled across this a few days ago. Which may or may not help you out.

Maybe some of that homework I did will help you?

Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:40 PM   #118
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Eat more fats! Everyone! Fats get used as energy. Carbs get converted into fat when it's not used.

And remember that all calories are NOT created the same. 100 cals from fat is COMPLETELY different than 100 from carbs, including how your body uses it.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:53 PM   #119
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHairSar View Post
Eat more fats! Everyone! Fats get used as energy. Carbs get converted into fat when it's not used.

And remember that all calories are NOT created the same. 100 cals from fat is COMPLETELY different than 100 from carbs, including how your body uses it.
My after workout, my meal is a protein shake and 2 handfuls of almonds (almonds have monounsaturated & polyunsaturated fats, those are the good ones). I get plenty of other fats and the bad kinds lol.... from the meat I am eating. No further need to add more.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:03 PM   #120
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Fun facts!:

"Before 1920...clogged arteries were a medical rarity. ...Today's heart disease causes at least 40% of all US deaths. If, as we have been told, heart disease is caused by consumption of saturated fats, one would expect to find a corresponding increase in animal fat in the American diet. Actually, the reverse is true. During the sixty-year period from 1910 to 1970, the proportion of traditional animal fat in the American diet declined from 83% to 62%, and butter consumption plummeted form 18 pounds per person per year to four. During the past eighty years, dietary cholesterol intake has increased only by 1 percent. During the same period the percentage of dietary vegetable oils in the form of margarine, shortening and refined oils increased about 400% while the consumption of sugar and process foods increased about 60%."

Fallon, Sally. Nourishing Traditions. Washington: New Trends Publishing, 2001.