ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 19th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #1
lilbud055
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bud

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki ex250

Multiple Issues: Starting & Running

Apologize in advance for the lengthy post, Ive got a few issues.....
So I bought an 01 ex250 about a month back with 51xx miles on it and had been running fairly well up until about a week or two ago. I was headed home running about 50-55mph when it started chugging. I pulled of, threw it in neutral and it reved and ran fine. Back into gear--same deal. Limped it to the gas station (it was low, but not out), filled up and spent 5 minutes trying to start to no success. Loaded it in the truck to get it home. A few days later tried to start, same thing, turn over all day but wouldnt run. That afternoon i tried jumping the starter relay...nothing. Pulled the starter off and it was toast!! Probably self inflicted from the cranking. Replaced it, bike fired right up. Took it out for a spin and after it warmed up i lost ~40% of my power, just felt bogged down. It revs fine in neutral but no power in gear. I had checked the plugs when i replaced the starter and they looked fine. Over the next few day i had trouble starting again, sometimes it would hit on the first try, other times not at all, come back in an hour or so and it would start right up!?!?!? So this is where i am now, its a hit or miss start, and after its warm it loses power... Suggestions/comments/smacks to the head, they"re all welcome!!
lilbud055 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Bud! Anything in the aribox and air filter in good working order? Do you know when the last time the carb was cleaned?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #3
lilbud055
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks, airbox is good, I did have to reconnect the 2 breather hoses to the back side of the carb (i saw that when i bought it), the air filter isnt the most beautiful thing but you can see daylight when you look through it and no obstructions in it. According to the guy i bought it from, the carbs were cleaned just a few hundred miles ago (<200).....

Old September 19th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

check for adequate flow of fuel through petcock. Also check 2 inline fuel filters between gas tank and carburetor for obstructions. Thirdly, drain carburetor float bowls of possible water buildup.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to our site, Bud !!!

Drain the carbs bowls looking for water in those.
If water was found there, drain the fuel tank with the petcock in reserve position.
If no water is found, then check that the fuel is flowing freely into the carbs: sometimes the filters are clogged (in-line and inside the tank), some times is the vent of the tanks' cap.
If the petcock still needs vacuum to work, check that the vacuum hoses are leak-free and properly connected.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #6
lilbud055
ninjette.org newbie

@ motofol and lychee, im heading out to check those things, thanks, just to ad to the list it now has no power all the time, to the point of bogging down until it quits, will not restart...

Old September 19th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #7
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '07

When was the last time the valves were adjusted?
quicklooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #8
lilbud055
ninjette.org newbie

So far... inline filter(inside hose going from petcock to carbs) was virtually crushed, blowing the line, i got brown dust...
went to the carb bowl drains, got nothing, took a piece of wire and poked into the screw inlet and got very nasty gas with small trash from both carbs...
Just to see, i put it all back together, cranked and ran with ease.
So i guessing the best best is pull the carbs off and do some serious cleaning and soaking??
As to the valves, i have no idea if and when theyve been adjusted, honestly if ever. Its only got 51xx miles, however I really dont know what the suggested milage points are to check and adjust valves? Anybody know that?

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbud055 View Post
So i guessing the best best is pull the carbs off and do some serious cleaning and soaking??
If you have a complex for that sort of thing then yea. Otherwise, do not fix what is not broken.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbud055 View Post
.............As to the valves, i have no idea if and when theyve been adjusted, honestly if ever. Its only got 51xx miles, however I really dont know what the suggested milage points are to check and adjust valves? Anybody know that?
Good that you solved that mystery; .....next, charge that poor battery overnight.

Here is the schedule of service for your machine:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Service_Schedule
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #11
lilbud055
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks guys for the input, I think im going to run a good bit of gas through the whole fuel system and see if i can hold off on pulling the carbs. Motofool, preciate the maintenance schedule. Also, i pulled out the inline filter (in the hose) and im thinking of going with a 'normal' inline filter, just splicing the hose and adding one....Any recommendations/hesitations for good gravity fed filter??

Old September 20th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #12
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

A spliced inline filter is a very good idea. Choose something clear so you can see into it.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...fuel_filter%3F
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:11 AM   #13
lilbud055
ninjette.org newbie

Ok ill check into that, thanks