ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

View Poll Results: How do you downshift to first gear, coming to a red light from 50mph?
Pull in clutch and coast to the light. Downshift multiple times to 1st while stopped at the light. 3 3.95%
Pull in clutch and coast to the light, downshifting 1 gear at a time but not releasing the clutch. 18 23.68%
Blip and downshift as you slow down all the way to 1st gear. Pull in clutch as you slowed to 5mph. 19 25.00%
Blip and downshift to 2nd gear. Pull in clutch at 5mph and downshift to FIRST. Coast to stop. 25 32.89%
I have another method (explain below) 9 11.84%
What's first gear? 2 2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 10th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #1
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
How do you downshift to first gear coming to a red light from 50mph?

I always blip (rev match) downshift as I'm slowing down and will blip to first gear around 10 - 15mph. I pull in the clutch around 3mph (when the motor begins to bog down) and come to a complete stop in first gear.

But.....is that overkill? Do you really need to downshift and blip all the way until 1st gear?

Lately, I've been experimenting with blipping until I'm down to 2nd gear. While in 2nd, around 5mph (when the motor begins to bog down), I pull in the clutch and shift to first (without ever releasing the clutch again) and coast a few feet to a complete stop.

The main reason I was playing around with this is because it's one less thing to do (rev match 1st gear). Besides, the bike accelerates fine at 5mph in 2nd gear if I ever had to "go" in a situation where someone was going to rear end me.

One main CON I thought of is: When I've slowed to 5mph (2nd gear) and pull in clutch to shift to 1st while I'm about to put my foot down, perhaps I may NOT be in 1st gear? Maybe I'm stuck between 1st and Neutral (and not realize it)? And if someone comes barreling down at me from behind, I may be a sitting duck???

What are other cons you can think of for someone not blipping all the way down to 1st gear?

If you have another method of coming to a complete stop that's not listed in the poll, please let us know.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

I just usually pull in the clutch and click down to first and use the brakes to come to a complete stop, then I pull out the clutch and take off. I will engine brake in certain situations, but not every single stop, it's tedious and honestly it's unnecessary. I'm sure other's will disagree with me, but it's been working fine for me.

Old September 10th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #3
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
I just usually pull in the clutch and click down to first and use the brakes to come to a complete stop, then I pull out the clutch and take off. I will engine brake in certain situations, but not every single stop, it's tedious and honestly it's unnecessary. I'm sure other's will disagree with me, but it's been working fine for me.
So what happens if you're slowing down from 50mph...you pull in the clutch and you shifted into 1st...as you're slowing to 30mph, the light ahead turns green and you have to go? Do you shift back up to 3rd, rev your engine to 5,000rpm in neutral (with the clutch pulled in), then release clutch (revved matched) to go?

Old September 10th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #4
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
So what happens if you're slowing down from 50mph...you pull in the clutch and you shifted into 1st...as you're slowing to 30mph, the light ahead turns green and you have to go? Do you shift back up to 3rd, rev your engine to 5,000rpm in neutral (with the clutch pulled in), then release clutch (revved matched) to go?
Well, I never do that method when going from 50 mph to zero. I would engine brake then.

In that scenario where I knew I was in 1st, I was at around 30 mph and knew I had to start accelerating, then yeah, I would up shift twice if I could and try to slowly release the clutch to rev match, once i'm in gear and it smooths out a bit, i'd take off. Again though, that sort of thing just never happens cause usually I will engine brake going those speeds.

Old September 10th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #5
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

You... don't?

Just downshift normally to 2nd, then disengage the clutch and coast, slowing with your brakes, shifting to first before you come to a complete stop.

Old September 10th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #7
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I have a very tall first gear so I can't really vote on this.

Old September 10th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #8
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Even in my Vette I never downshift (and engage) to first. As long as you're rolling, even just a little, 2nd gear should get you moving again reasonably quickly.

Old September 11th, 2014, 01:19 AM   #9
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Never engage 1st on the move Usually engine brake down to 3rd for a redlight and click down to 1st once stationary. Unless you live on the side of K2 there is no earthly reason to engage 1st while rolling. It's jerky (in both senses )
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #10
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Depends... if the light turned fast I do option 1 or 2. If I am cruising I do option 4. I prefer to do 4, but do it many ways.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 02:29 AM   #11
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I generally blip and down shift, one gear at a time, all the way to 2nd, then I fully disengage the clutch before downshifting to first. I then coast the last meter or so. I'm still in gear so I can still bring the revs up and engage the clutch quickly if I need to suddenly move.

1st gear is horrible on my ninjette. I don't know what it's like on other motorcycles. If I'm ever actually riding in 1st gear, I'm always skimming the clutch to make things smooth. When I take off from a stand still I'm out of 1st gear within seconds.

When riding at very slow speed in the city I'm always jealous of the scooter riders that are just chilling on their twist and go throttle while I'm constantly faffing about between 1st & 2nd with my clutch hand doing a work out that would put Bruce Lee to shame.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 03:47 AM   #12
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

Just like everyone else - I generally blip to match and down shift, one gear at a time, all the way to 2nd, then I fully disengage the clutch before downshifting to first. I then coast the last meter or so. I'm still in gear so I can still bring the revs up and engage the clutch quickly if I need to suddenly move.

It's not a con (BELOW). It could happen in any gear, any speed at any time.

One main CON I thought of is: When I've slowed to 5mph (2nd gear) and pull in clutch to shift to 1st while I'm about to put my foot down, perhaps I may NOT be in 1st gear? Maybe I'm stuck between 1st and Neutral (and not realize it)? And if someone comes barreling down at me from behind, I may be a sitting duck???
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #13
indomie
ninjette.org member

Name: danny

Motorcycle(s): 2013 636

it really all depends on the scenario. i just go to a empty warehouse and practice all the time. and yeah 1st gear is...really short and jerky haha
indomie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 06:22 AM   #14
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

If I'm stopping for a red light or stop sign, I brake down to like 3 or 4k RPM in whatever gear I'm in, then pull in the clutch and click down to 1st as I brake to a complete stop, click up to neutral, release clutch. Don't forget to check your mirrors so you don't get rear-ended.

If I'm coming to a potential stop but I think there's a good chance I won't have to actually come to a complete stop, I will shift down through the gears as I brake so that I know I'm in the right gear to get going again. I could do this every time, but unless I feel like practicing, the first method is easier.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #15
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Name: Artie

Motorcycle(s): Stuff

#1 is downright dangerous, #4 is most logical. Also, I find 250's aren't too fond of shifting down to first while moving. It's really twitchy.

Old September 11th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #16
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Where does the 250's first gear top out at? Mine goes to around 70 or 80 mph lol

Old September 11th, 2014, 06:38 AM   #17
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Name: Artie

Motorcycle(s): Stuff

If you wring it out around 50kph/30mph

Old September 11th, 2014, 06:40 AM   #18
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Hmm so that would be sketchy.

Old September 11th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #19
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
typically shift into like 3rd or 4th, wait for the light to turn green, then as the bike struggles to get going from a stop I feather the clutch to help and after that doesn't work much better I pull in the clutch the whole way and slam a bunch down shifts until it wont go any more and just figure I'm now in 1st.

Works every time

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 07:18 AM   #20
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Seven steps to stopping a motorcycle.
1 Look behind you
2 look at the road surface ahead of you. Line up the bike so if you get hit you go between the cars in front. Not
Smashed into them
3 begin down shifting and let off the gas
4 apply rear and front break smoothly as you come to a stop.
5 put you foot down as you stop, not before.
6 hold the clutch and put the trans in first gear.
7 look behind again and get ready to gun it if the idiot on his phone is not going to stop

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 11th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #21
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
2 look at the road surface ahead of you. Line up the bike so if you get hit you go between the cars in front. Not smashed into them
6 hold the clutch and put the trans in first gear.
7 look behind again and get ready to gun it if the idiot on his phone is not going to stop
Regarding these three points...

I watched a rider on Tuesday pull up dead center behind a SUV type with probably a foot or two between their bumper and his tire. Then I watched as he put it into neutral and sat back on the bike looking around.

I parked a ways back from him, close to the center line to split if needed, and made sure to keep a close eye on my mirrors to pulse my brake for the car coming up quick behind us.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 08:51 AM   #22
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
... made sure to keep a close eye on my mirrors to pulse my brake for the car coming up quick behind us.
I do this as well.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #23
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

I practice options 3 & 4.

Sometimes I rev match all the way down to first and sometimes I don't. It all depends if the light had just turned red or if there's a stop sign. To blip down to first IS annoying, but I love rev matching and all you gotta do is rev a little higher, so yeaa...

Old September 11th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #24
srob7001
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, Ebony, non-ABS

I'm new so I'm still working on the blip the throttle whilst braking. The whole applying front brake while blipping is not very easy for me yet. I can do it pretty good w/o applying the front brake, but don't feel as safe doing that and down revving if a car is behind me. I want them to see brake lights.

I typically pull clutch lever in, and apply both brakes. When I get to 40, I downshift into 4th. 30 DS into 3rd, 20 DS into 2nd, and once I stop I click into 1st. I do not release the clutch lever while doing this, unless the light/traffic starts moving, but I should be in a good gear at this point and just let off clutch and apply throttle.
srob7001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #25
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by srob7001 View Post
I'm new so I'm still working on the blip the throttle whilst braking. The whole applying front brake while blipping is not very easy for me yet.
I still can't do it. I seem to get by without that skill though.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #26
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

I ride a 600 on the street. I don't bother blipping/rev matching as I come to a stop. I just hold the clutch, and downshift at appropriate speeds so if I have to go, I'll be in the right gear.

I always flash the brake light a few times as I'm braking, and again as traffic approaches. I only go to neutral once the car behind me is stopped.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 11th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #27
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Hmmm, great post! I voted the 2nd one

I brake a bit (so I'm probably below 50 when I start clutching/shifting most of the time), disengage the clutch while continuing to brake, and shift down as I'm coming to a stop (still moving). I'll snick it into 1st just before I come to a complete stop.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #28
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Generally speaking, you want to keep the bike in a gear suitable for the current speed. Staying in 6th or immediately shifting all the way down to 1st and coasting with the clutch in is bad, as you're unprepared if something comes up and you suddenly need to accelerate.

Motorcycle transmissions frequently shift better when the output shaft is turning, so I tend to let the clutch out and engine brake a bit between gears. Lately I've been doing two gears at a time - click down twice into 4th and let the clutch out at least a little, then down another two into 2nd, then I'll click down to 1st as I come to a stop. That keeps me in (or very close to) a gear appropriate for my speed, without constantly messing with the gears while I'm slowing.

As mentioned, if you're slowing down via some means other than the brakes, keep an eye out behind you, and at least tap the brakes if you need to, to flash the brake light at the person behind you. They're looking for bright red lights, not concentrating on the deceleration rate of a small object. This applies to manual cars too, but the bigger object is easier to judge the speed of, and you're less likely to die if you get rear-ended in a car than on a bike.

Also, watch the lights for the cross-street and the crosswalk indicators to help judge when your light will change. This can give you a bit of extra info to avoid panic stops or to slow down a little sooner to avoid having to come to a complete stop.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #29
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I've never been able to figure out the whole blipping thing.

Today I paid attention to what I do as I approached a light that changed with enough time for me to slow down to a stop.

See red light, off throttle, apply brakes.
When revs slow enough, clutch in and downshift, clutch out.
Continue applying brakes until speed slows enough for lower gear.
Rinse and repeat all the way into first, with maybe a 5-10 clutch in coast just before the line.

Works for me as if the lights changes to green before I am stopped, already in the right gear to get off the brakes and back on the gas.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 15th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #30
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
This is a really interesting question!

I just downshift, let the clutch out, let the RPMs slow, downshift again, etc... until I'm in 2nd, and then I shift to neutral and usually I stop in neutral and then shift to first because my bike can be difficult to get into neutral if I come to a stop already in first gear.

My bike has crazy strong engine braking so I usually don't even use my brakes until I'm already in 2nd gear and coming to a halt.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #31
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
I've never been able to figure out the whole blipping thing.

Today I paid attention to what I do as I approached a light that changed with enough time for me to slow down to a stop.

See red light, off throttle, apply brakes.
When revs slow enough, clutch in and downshift, clutch out.
Continue applying brakes until speed slows enough for lower gear.
Rinse and repeat all the way into first, with maybe a 5-10 clutch in coast just before the line.

Works for me as if the lights changes to green before I am stopped, already in the right gear to get off the brakes and back on the gas.
This is what I do.

I can bleep but it is a wast of effort if you are just coming to a normal stop.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 03:01 AM   #32
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I just keep down shifting as speed decreases. Proper gear for the speed the bike is moving. I use the clutch on the street but do shift clutchless at the track. I dont use a lot of engine braking just use the brakes and shift down as speed requires so i am always ready to get back on the gas if necessary. Brakes are cheap and engines expensive so I try to keep the proper gear selected for the speed i am going..
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 03:58 AM   #33
salcuta88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Vlad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
I just keep down shifting as speed decreases. Proper gear for the speed the bike is moving. I use the clutch on the street but do shift clutchless at the track. I dont use a lot of engine braking just use the brakes and shift down as speed requires so i am always ready to get back on the gas if necessary. Brakes are cheap and engines expensive so I try to keep the proper gear selected for the speed i am going..
My bike won't shift clutchless. At any speed or any gear...it just won't. I have to pull the clutch in.
salcuta88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 05:58 AM   #34
Linkin
Down Under

Name: Linkin

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ZXR250C Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by salcuta88 View Post
My bike won't shift clutchless. At any speed or any gear...it just won't. I have to pull the clutch in.
You need to be off the throttle for clutchless shifting (up or down)

I can clutchless downshift the Ninjette with no throttle (eg when coming to a stop. Without rev matching.).

But mostly I use the clutch because it's smoother and wears out less parts than forcing gears...

Bikes have clutches for a reason
Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #35
salcuta88
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin View Post
You need to be off the throttle for clutchless shifting (up or down)

I can clutchless downshift the Ninjette with no throttle (eg when coming to a stop. Without rev matching.).

But mostly I use the clutch because it's smoother and wears out less parts than forcing gears...

Bikes have clutches for a reason
I know that, but as I have said, my bike won't shift unless I pull the clutch...yes, my hand is fully off the throttle.

Old September 17th, 2014, 06:08 AM   #36
Linkin
Down Under

Name: Linkin

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ZXR250C Ninja

So you can't forcefully downshift when slowing down, in a higher gear? I did it today on mine...
Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 06:40 AM   #37
salcuta88
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin View Post
So you can't forcefully downshift when slowing down, in a higher gear? I did it today on mine...
If I force 20 lbs of pressure, I may...but why would I wanna do that? It feels like it would break something. If I pull the clutch, it shift smoooooth. I guess it's not worn out or something? Who knows.

Old September 19th, 2014, 01:05 AM   #38
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

If I get lazy I'll downshift without the clutch but I usually don't because the voice inside my head tells me that it's a bad habit and probably bad for the bike.

As for stopping, I engine brake and match speed to the proper gear while flashing my brake lights all the way to 2nd and sometimes 1st. I want to be ready to go whenever I want/need to.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2014, 02:07 AM   #39
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

A short video of me downshifting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFfASbKzuKc
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #40
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Video start in 5th gear. Had to slow down and downshift to 2nd gear for a right hand turn. After the turn, a car was making a U-turn, so I downshift to 1st gear, coming to a complete stop.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by cadd; September 22nd, 2014 at 10:23 PM.