ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old June 27th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #1
ASquared150
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Hi from Chicago!

So I just joined KawiForums yesterday, but when I found this forum - one solely for 250's - I decided I ought to join here as well.

Here's my intro post from KawiForums, seems just as applicable here:

Well now this is the second time I'll be writing this, the first time I went to preview the post before posting it and got logged out! Kind of annoying, but here we go again:

So I've been a bit of a gearhead since I started driving. I got the modding and speed bugs early on with my first car, a Honda Fit (Mighty Mouse):

Now I drive an '09 Scion tC (Hobbes) in which I recently raced and won my very first autocross (novice class):

My motorcycle story starts with a good friend of mine getting his first motorcycle - an '08 250r - last summer. He had it only a few days before it got stolen the first day he moved into his apartment in Wicker Park in Chicago. This summer, he finally replaced it with an '04 Yamaha R6 and immediately started nagging me to get a bike so we could cruise together.

At first I was resolved not to do it, but with more and more nagging, I began to think about it, and eventually (after a spin around a parking lot on his R6) I decided I wanted a motorcycle.

After that began the long process of convincing my parents I wouldn't kill myself. (I didn't need my parents permission to get a bike, being a legal adult and having the money to get it on my own, but wanted them to approve). So I took a safety course from Ride Chicago before doing anything else. Then I bought a helmet, which I used in the above-mentioned autocross, and from there my parent's resolve began to weaken. Eventually I got a jacket and gloves and found an 09 blue 250r on CraigsList. My parents finally caved.

So, after getting the bike inspected, I payed the owner, but left it at the shop for a few days while they ordered and installed a DynoJet Kit for me. During that time I found an awesome deal on a brand new Two Brothers carbon fiber slip on. I picked up the bike yesterday, brought it home and installed the pipe I had waiting for it.

(Friend's R6 in the foreground)

I've been riding all day today and having a blast. I'm really happy with the bike and with the fact that I took a course. I felt totally prepared to go out in traffic for the first time today thanks to that class.

In the near future, I plan on getting a seat cowl, a fender eliminator kit (the previous owner cut down the stock fender, which I was happy about, but not happy enough), wider tires, and an integrated LED tail light from Bike Monkey.

I also plan on riding out the rest of the summer and however long into the fall I can once I get back to Bloomington - where I'm a student at Indiana University.

I think I'll name the Ninja Sonic, but I haven't decided yet.

Thanks for reading!
ASquared150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ASquared150! Glad to have you aboard...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #3
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Welcome to the 250 party.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #4
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #5
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Welcome
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 05:13 AM   #6
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Welcome to the forum
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #7
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Welcome!!

I like your write up and pics... I used to AutoX also, was a lot of fun. Drove an 03 Supercharged Cobra Mustang and then later a Lotus Super 7... good times for sure.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #8
ASquared150
ninjette.org member

SloLane - I wish I had something RWD to autox in. That first race of mine was with the North Shore Corvette Club. A friend's dad is a member and they go every year. This time she invited me and another friend so we went - me in my tC and him in a VW Eos. We took first and second in the novice class against 9 other Corvettes...

Old June 28th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #9
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASquared150 View Post
SloLane - I wish I had something RWD to autox in. That first race of mine was with the North Shore Corvette Club. A friend's dad is a member and they go every year. This time she invited me and another friend so we went - me in my tC and him in a VW Eos. We took first and second in the novice class against 9 other Corvettes...
Nice!! We had two clubs here that setup most of the local AX events... the Corvette club (longer straights) and the MINI club (lots of tight little turns), we would pull up and you could tell right away. Congrats to you on your placement, very nice. Here are a couple of pics...

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #10
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Time for a trackday. There are 3-4 close tracks and you will have a blast. You and your buddie. BEST PLACE TO LEARN. Theres Autobahn in Joliet, Gingerman in South Haven MI, Blackhawk north of Rockford. Grattan in Belding MI, Then there Road America in WI. When you get the courage and money together PM me for details. I hit all these tracks and would show you the ropes if you please.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #11
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane View Post
Welcome!!

I like your write up and pics... I used to AutoX also, was a lot of fun. Drove an 03 Supercharged Cobra Mustang and then later a Lotus Super 7... good times for sure.
Used to autocross in a 78 ford fiesta back in the day. Yellow with black stripes painted around the car. We called it the bumble bee. Got alot of chuckles BUT She had a hell of a sting. Great autocross car long long ago. Had great fun whipping the camaros and mustangs.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #12
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Welcome to Ninjette!!

Old June 28th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #13
ASquared150
ninjette.org member

Thanks everybody for being so welcoming! My same intro post over at KawiForums has had no replies so far haha - I think I'll spending the vast majority of my time here instead.

SloLane, that Lotus looks like a friggin blast to autox, and I love to see a clean Mustang - that's my favorite generation, after the current.

Almost40, thanks for offering your help, I don't know how soon I'll be ready for a track day, but my buddy with the R6 just went and got some racing leathers and is really wanting to get into it, so we may be taking you up on that offer in the future.

Thanks again guys!

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #14
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
Used to autocross in a 78 ford fiesta back in the day. Yellow with black stripes painted around the car. We called it the bumble bee. Got alot of chuckles BUT She had a hell of a sting. Great autocross car long long ago. Had great fun whipping the camaros and mustangs.
"Bumble Bee", nice!! Yeh, the Mustang was fun, until I drove the Lotus, HA! We used to get the guys bringing Vipers and other high end cars out and loved watching the Miata's, MINI's and Subi's whoop up on em. That was a lot of fun, just took up a bit too much time for me so I had to move on, maybe one day I will have another toy for that. For now it's my Jeep and Ninja 250, thankfully I love them and they keep me entertained.

Old June 28th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #15
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASquared150 View Post
Thanks everybody for being so welcoming! My same intro post over at KawiForums has had no replies so far haha - I think I'll spending the vast majority of my time here instead.

SloLane, that Lotus looks like a friggin blast to autox, and I love to see a clean Mustang - that's my favorite generation, after the current.

Almost40, thanks for offering your help, I don't know how soon I'll be ready for a track day, but my buddy with the R6 just went and got some racing leathers and is really wanting to get into it, so we may be taking you up on that offer in the future.

Thanks again guys!
This really is a great community here, the best forum I have ever been on.

That Lotus was sick, it wasn't mine but my buddy owned it and let me drive it every race... we would register it twice and space out the slots. I agree, after the newest gen Stang, the 03-04 "Terminator's" are my favorite. in 03 nobody knew what they were and they really shocked a lot of people. I loved that Supercharger whine.

Old June 30th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #16
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote