ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:06 AM   #1
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Name: Debbi

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250 (Sold); 2008 Ninja EX500

So yeah, I joined the Roller Derby.....UPDATE (for those interested)

Yes, you read it right: Roller Derby. We have a team locally. I had no idea the game was still being played, but Google it: there are close to 200 teams active in the US. I happened to meet one of the players one night while I was out (Betty Knockers, in fact, and aptly named), and I mentioned that I was a hell of a roller skater. She invited me to come check it out and a couple weeks ago, I did just that, and ended up joining the team. At 47 years old, can you imagine? If I ever get through the necessary (and brutally exhausting) training, I will enjoy the distinction of being the oldest team member. Yay.

Anyway, once I do get to play, I'll need a derby name. I have come up with a few, all of which I thought were brilliant and original, but they're all taken (if you Google the potential name plus the words "roller derby", it'll come up): Erin Blockabitch, Helen Wheels, Misty Meaner, Marilyn Manslaughter, even Holly GoBiteMe, my favorite. I actually am considering naming myself Ninjette, on account of the fact that I ride a Ninja. However, suggestions are welcome.

And yes, I know I'm crazy.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last futzed with by DRivero; May 13th, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
DRivero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:10 AM   #2
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

lemme get back to ya on the name thing

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Iused to love to watch Roller Derby but I have not seen it carried on TV any more, Would love to see a pic of you knocking some girl over the rail. Is that how Betty Knockers got her name?...lol.

Here are a few I thought of and will try to come up with more.

Devilish Debbi
Dirty Debbi
Darlin Debbi

I found this site to check the uniqueness of Roller Derby names and those were very unique. http://www.twoevils.org/rollergirls/?c=0&r=1
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:22 AM   #4
Snake

While reading other threads I seen this ad banner at the bottom of the page. It is a Roller Derby Social networking site. http://www.missrollerderby.com/

Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:34 AM   #5
komohana

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

i remember watching some derby action on tv years ago...but within the last year or so i recall watching a reality program on tv about 1 or 2 ladies joining a team somewhere in the states...think there were only 2 teams then.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:53 AM   #6
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

how about "MEANJETTE DEBBI"?
DEXSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:23 AM   #7
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Becoming increasingly popular again, about 4 teams "locally" with a few more across the state.

As far as a name goes, need to know what position you intend to play.

Also instead of the standard "tough" name, why not start a trend and go for something opposite in a "softer" name, does no one enjoy a little irony in this game? Little Miss Innocent as a blocker seems to fit.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:59 AM   #8
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Your name should fit how you intend to play the game. If you are the sleeper that comes out of nowhere for a incredably ruthless kill, then choose something Innocent. If you're nuts from the word go...then choose something that displays that.

On a side note, I just about die laughing when I see that "70's show" roller derby episode with Eric.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:47 AM   #9
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Erin Blockabitch -> LMAO
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:20 PM   #10
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Snake, those are great names. Greg, I agree about the "softer" name thing.....I like irony as much as the next guy. Besides, I'm currently nursing a nasty bruise on my bottom from last week's practice (yes, I fell on my butt....embarrassing), and right now something soft sounds pretty good! The next practice is tonight, so I guess I better buck up!

I'm told that my name will come to me naturally, and that it should be something meaningful to me. My teammates' names run the gamut, from close to their own names to "where did THAT come from?". My favorite is Spontaneous Combustya...she's one of my coaches.

One thing that surprised me was how nice everyone is. The women training me are really rooting for me, and if I have trouble they work with me one on one to get through it. They really want you on the team, which is the opposite of what I thought I would encounter. It makes you want to try even harder.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:31 PM   #11
Snake

Maybe you could come up with a few names that you like and start a thread with a poll to see which one people like the best. It may help you narrow down a name. Good luck on your practice tonight. We are all rooting for you.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:43 PM   #12
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

OK, a quick search brings nothing, but I know it exists so look for it... I have seen protective armor for your backside. It is really designed so that you don't damage the lowest portion of your spine, but also has padding for hip bones. Used to be real popular with the inline ramp and stunt crowd, especially with the women since they seemed to be smarter than most of the men and actually wore protective gear.

Also let one of the experts check your skates and the fit to your feet! That may be the single most important thing to help with stability and performance. Too bad inline skates are not allowed (at least not around here).

Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:50 PM   #13
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Found some, really good for practice time to help keep you injury free:
http://www.crash-pads.com/shop/category/22.html

This one looks like what you might want for a while, at least until you get strong and comfortable with all the contact:
http://www.crash-pads.com/shop/Pro-P...-Shield/6.html

Check the review, couldn't be more exact to your description
Quote:
I started Rollerderby 3 years ago and after the first fall on my butt during the first month i invested in this pad. It lasted me 3 years. I skated once without it and never did it again. If your not falling you are not pushing yourself hard enough. Because of vanity, I tried the Mc David's derby short to look cute like all my other teammates-- and it sucks! the tail bone protection is good, but the hips is where you need padding and it provided none. I'm small and have very bony hips. Having the lower pads down the leg is super nice. I'm in the market for a new pad. I think i may try the derby short, but this pad is the best in protection!

Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:58 PM   #14
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
Erin Blockabitch -> LMAO

Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:13 PM   #15
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Congrats Debby! My apartment mate is a member of our local team, the Bruisin' Burgs out of Blacksburg, VA. She's an architecture major so her derby name became "I M Pain" referring to I M Pei one of her favorite architects.

Good luck with the reconditioning. My aptmate comes home exhausted almost every practice; then again she's lead jammer as she used to be a high-level speed skater.

Above all, have fun, which I'm sure you will. I was amazed how supportive many the teams are, even of one another once they're off the track.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:16 PM   #16
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

So excited for you!!

check the roster it is somewhere on this site for names that are taken.
http://wftda.com/

we have put lots of thought into derby names.
My derby name would be Scarlotta,
My dog cora would be Cut her to the Cora
My dog Tuppy would be Ruff her up Tup
My husband's choice is Bob a Fella.

We are HUGE derby fans. I skate 1-3 times a week so does my Husband Throttle Rocket.- that is the name of our favorite team on the Rat city league.

We just missed a bout last night to see the Rat City girls play.
I had to work.

They are a strong league and at the Key arena now with about 5000 + fans in attendence.

I saw it live when I was under 5 years old with my dad. and it was a weekly event on tv for us.

It is alot different now. Real game with real rules much like football or hockey for those who think Womens flat track is like the old school derby.

I was accepted on a local team.... but you know.... I would rather drink a beer and watch than fall. I have NEVER been one to fall gracefully. Think wet dead salmon .....slam!!!! Plus there is that issue of screws in my Knee from dirt riding....and I ALWAYS fall on a boob. I think it feels the same guys. You wither on the floor for a bit...

I don't mind being the blocker but the blockee no thanks, haha

How about.. "deb't collector"
or down'n debbie
or Twin sister- for the ninja
or Evil twin sista

oh !! and maybe a trade for RCRG for a GCDG shirt!! I assume it is the GS girls you are skating with?????

Last futzed with by zartan; May 3rd, 2010 at 12:38 AM.
zartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:10 AM   #17
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

You can get more banged up doing that than if you fell off your bike - just no fatal injuries.

We have a team in Tallahassee, the Roller Girls, that range in age from 20-50. There used to be a team here called Capital Punishment, or was that the name of the event? The names are great, funny, imaginative, and unique. Coming up with a good name may be as hard as the training.
How about "Debbi does________" (fill in the blanks)
Let us know if you ever do it up this way.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:49 PM   #18
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

LOL.. is that not just too cool! I applaud you The list of names the one that made me laff out loud and is my favorite... was "Erin Blockabitch" that one is just too damn good! If your team ever plays Tx... let me know!

Oh and .......

addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:31 PM   #19
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Debbi, Am definitely a fan. I have always loved people who literally do their own thing. My goal has always been to grow old enough to be an embarassment to my kids. I have already heard--"Aren`t you too old to ride THAT THING???" What am i supposed to be riding---a Harley? I hope you have a blast doing Roller Derby---sounds like you will. How does "Wheelin and Able" sound?
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:00 PM   #20
Snake

How about
Crotch Rocket Debbi
Deadly Debbi
Debbi does Derby

Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:19 PM   #21
bigair
ninjette.org member

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Big fan of roller derby. I cheer for the Mile High Club of the Denver Roller Dolls, My favorite player is .

Bria Fraid. She's a killer.

I will start thinking about name.

Good Luck.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:22 PM   #22
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

You guys are awesome! I had no clue there were so many derby fans among us. This is great!

I do have one question: how do you know if you've broken your tailbone? Yes, I fell again, this time badly. I am in a WORLD of pain right now. At least part of me is, anyway. I had to miss tonight's practice, and I am quite frustrated. Dammit! I grew up skating and rarely ever fell. Now I can't seem to keep my ass off the floor! I know it's gonna happen, but....grrrrrr.

So I'm down, but not out. I have no idea how long this will take to heal, but I'll be ready to go as soon as it does. I had some doubts last night about the wisdom of this venture at my advanced age, as I was trying to climb into the tub without fainting from pain, but I realize I'm just out of shape. That should (will!) get better as I keep at it. The team will train you as long as you're willing, and until you're ready to pass the tests, so I just need to take it easier on myself, and stop trying to prove something.

So if you'll keep rooting for me, I'll keep plugging, naysayers be damned (and I've had several). Meanwhile, I'll be perusing the links Greg posted for the padded pants. It's a little late now, but once I'm better, I really, REALLY don't want to do this again. It seriously hurts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:33 PM   #23
Snake

We will keep rooting for you and throwing our support your way. Take it slow and easy and your skills will return. Just like riding a bike requires the proper gear Roller Derby requires proper gear as well. Get lots of padding because that skinny body of yours needs it.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:36 PM   #24
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Snake, I love you. Will you marry me?

Oh and Zartan, definitely a shirt trade. I'll pick one up next time I'm at practice. Don't you LOVE our team logo?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:41 PM   #25
Snake

Wow...you have me blushing and speechless here...

Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:41 PM   #26
zartan

Debbi, the derby skates/ speed skates have a short heel. The "normal" dance artistic skates have a tall heel. It is something you don't think about but it is totally different on what you grew up on.

It is only about a 1/2" difference but it DOES make a heck of alot of difference and your feet will come right out from under you.

to compensate:

You need to push your weight forward and bend more at the knees.
Ohhh tail bone . ouch. sorry you are sore. I hope it passes quickly.
Keep trying !!!

Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:42 PM   #27
zartan

pm me we will talk bout the shirts and sizes. I so wish I could do derby but dang I have joint issues and the falling like a wet salmon issue.

But regular skating helps keeps that joint pain at bay!!
Attached Images
File Type: png logo.png (15.9 KB, 87 views)

Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:03 PM   #28
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Zart, as a young(er) skater I always wore speeds or hockeys, so I don't think the heel's the problem. No, I think it may be a combo of my suddenly skating again after several years PLUS what they have you doing at practice i.e.: falling forward on purpose, of course. It's hard to fall, after so many years of trying not to, and I think when I start to if I'm not REALLY concentrating, I try to overcorrect and....boom. Incidently, I fall like a wet salmon, too. For the record, though, I only fell accidentally once last night and once last week. I just make them COUNT.

Speaking of bending the knees, in derby you have to skate THE ENTIRE TIME in a crouch. That's another hard thing, but I can feel my thighs getting stronger after only a few practices. Still, at my age....whew! Last night I was sweat-soaked to the skin. Sexy, huh?

Oh, I do love "Wheelin' and Able". Maybe more like "Wheelin N. Able".

How about "Twin Cams"? I actually like it; it's funny. However, I think my kids would be mortified.

Snake.....speechless? Oh I doubt that; you always have something charming to say....
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:44 PM   #29
zartan

Once you feel better and are back then give it a month and it will feel like you never stopped!!!

I fell about 3 weeks ago. (I am 48 fyi)
A piece of plastic zipper on the floor stopped me dead in my tracks down flat with no time to think about it WHAM. That is why I wear full gear. But I felt it for about 2 weeks like a car wreck and I just skate for fun haha. Of course I fell on my boob. ALways a boob.

BTW...New skate movie coming out in AU.

Rollerboy hopefully it makes it here. Documentary on roller artistic. looks pretty cool.

Twin cams is hilarious!! wheelin is good too!!

Keep us posted.

Old May 4th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #30
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

anyone seen "Whip It"? It's got ellen page (chick from juno) and she gets on a roller derby team. pretty cool movie. that's about the extent of my knowledge of rollerderby though I did used to know this lady who did it.

Old May 4th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #31
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Wow...you have me blushing and speechless here...
See Rick.... good things do happen to really "nice" guyz!
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #32
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

You've got to get padding and protective gear, no matter "does this make my butt/hips/whatever look fat?" A fractured coccyx (tailbone) will bother you for months, not only interfering with riding your motorcycle, but even sitting on a chair. A long ninja ride may be a good massage for your butt - go for it.

Old May 6th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #33
Sailariel

Debbi, You might want to get one of those inflatible donuts to sit on when you are off your feet. A Baby aspirin and a large dose of Vitamin C (500mg) will promote healing and guard against inflammation. Best taken at bedtime.

Old May 7th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #34
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

From My local paper --

The Jail Break Betties - a sub squad of the Tallahassee Rollergirls - takes on the derby team from Gainesville at a bout billed as the "Swamp Stomp" at 7 P.M. Saturday at the North Florida Fairgrounds....the action is intended for audiences 13 and older.

Isn't this a family sport? Who knew it is intended for "mature audiences" only?
And we all hope Debbi's butt is OK.

Old May 13th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #35
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Okay, an update for those of you sweet people who are concerned about my butt: it still hurts. Like, really. I've been back and forth about seeking medical help for it....so far I haven't. I mean, I'm pretty sure there's nothing that can be done, and I'm REALLY not hot on the idea of spending a day ith my arse in the air while they xray/cat scan/MRI/whatever it.

I have taken a break from derby, unfortunately. I did buy padded shorts, but they're not made to keep my already injured coccyx from hurting if I land on it again. God forbid. I'll freaking DIE.

The great thing about it is, I can go back and start again when I'm ready. Let's face it, I wasn't all that far in my training, so I'm not losing much. The team members are very cool and understanding....probably because I've worked a couple charity events for the team even though I'm not skating. I'm keeping my hand in, anyway, if not my feet.

Stay tuned......

Old May 14th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #36
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Which shorts did you get?

If it still hurts this long after, you should probably go and talk to a doctor and get their advice.

Too bad that you don't even really dare to recreational skate right now, would help build up your balance and muscles, but it would be a bit risky until you know what has really been damaged.

Old May 14th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #37
Sailariel

Sounds like you did break your coccyx. Not a lot you can do with it except to let it heal and take some OTC pain relievers/anti inflammation drugs like Extra Strength Tylenol, Ibuprofen (Motrin), Naproxen Sodium (Aleve), or just plain Aspirin. Do take them with a glass of milk. I would suspect that Naproxen Sodium taken as directed on the label would make you much more comfortable and would help with inflammation. You have an injury at the base of your spine and all these muscles around the injury are tugging and pulling--which is where a lot of the pain is coming from. Check the area close to the injury to see if it feels hot. You might also check the area for redness and swelling (use a mirror). If you have heat and swelling, you really should see a doctor ASAP. I doubt that they would do MRI and all that other stuff. They would treat the inflammation.

Old May 14th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #38
Snake

Yes, we are all concerned about your but and your overal health in general. You are doing the right thing by taking a break and letting your arse/coccyz heal. Please take Sailariel's advice and get it checked out.
Hopefuly your but does not hurt so much that you can't ride your bike.

Old May 14th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #39
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Did you ever try sitting on a small inflatable tube, like a kid's water toy tube? It gets the pressure off that area when you sit. Or get a Temperpedic foam type pillow (about $12 at Walmart).
Or you could find somebody to rub it for you. Hope it feels better soon, but it may take a month or two.

Old May 14th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #40
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
Or you could find somebody to rub it for you.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote