ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 27th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #1
SimmyD
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R 09

Replaced Sprockets with t15/t44 now strange noise

Hi all,

First time post.. i think?

i have changed the sprockets on my 2009 ninja and now i am getting a weird click sounds coming from the front sprocket. Even when rolling my bike along the driveway.

I took the sprocket cover off and the sound is coming from where the chain meets the front sprocket like it is not fitting properly. i can see the chan drop into the sprocket and vibrate.

Has anyone seen this? it seems to work fine and as far as i can work out may just mean my chain and sprocket wont last as long.

Cheers,

Simon
SimmyD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

What brand and # parts did you use? Who did the swap? Has the chain been adjusted and aligned properly?

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Alignment and proper slack in chain? Sounds tight from your description.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #4
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Which direction did you put the sprocket on? The DIY on this forum has it backwards. Label towards the engine if you bought a JT sprocket. As for clicking, I have a little bit of clicking even with the chain slack on the loose side. After some extensive reading, there are some reports that it's just the sound of the chain hitting the sprocket and the noise is louder because there is no rubber cushion like the stock sprocket has.

I'm not saying that there isnt a problem but if you've checked everything, and it is all in spec, then I'd say dont worry about it and ride-on.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #5
SimmyD
ninjette.org newbie

it was a JT and i have put the spacer side towards the engine i cant remember the part number due to throwing the packaging out and it facing the engine. I bought it from the local kawi dealer so i hope they sold me the newer model one.

the slack seems perfect as per the manual but that might change when you have different size sprockets?

pushed my wheel all the way forward when i put it back on and evenly tightened it up so i am not sure what else i can do to align the sprockets. Whats the best way to see if they are aligned?

I do think its just the chan slapping onto the sprocket so not sure if its a big deal. well i hope it isnt :S

Old July 28th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #6
SimmyD
ninjette.org newbie

and if its a little tight it will loosen shorty right? >_<

Old July 28th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #7
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I wonder if you got a pre-gen front sprocket that requires a shim to align correctly.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmyD View Post
Not a great idea; if it really is too tight it can damage the transmission and/or bearings well before it stretches to proper clearance.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #9
setasai

Quote:
Really depends on how tight you're talking about. You'll need to be your own judge of if it's too tight. Check every spot on the chain to make sure you have the tightest point to the loosest side of the specs. Otherwise, it should be fine.

If the sprocket is the correct one, I doubt you have a problem. Also make sure you lube up the sprocket and chain thoroughly. It helps with the smoothness and could also contribute to noise.

Old July 29th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #10
SimmyD
ninjette.org newbie

I have already checked the chain slack all the way round and its fine.

The sound happens all around the chain so i dont think it will be the tightness.

Next time i clean the bike up i will pull the font sprocket off and have a look at the model.

You mention that you are meant to lube the sprocket itself? i think i missed that. what do i use to do that?

Old July 30th, 2011, 02:35 AM   #11
setasai

Quote:
I have already checked the chain slack all the way round and its fine.

The sound happens all around the chain so i dont think it will be the tightness.

Next time i clean the bike up i will pull the font sprocket off and have a look at the model.

You mention that you are meant to lube the sprocket itself? i think i missed that. what do i use to do that?
The manual says grease. I just got some generic grease and slathered some on. I doubt it makes that big of a difference since you'll be lubing the chain and when you do that, you can just spray some on the sprocket to coat it.

Really though, if everything is put together correctly and in specifications. I bet you it's just the lack of rubber dampener that the stock has. Like I said, my chain makes that clicking noise too but runs great. Cant think of anything else to do with it.