ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:21 PM   #1
curioussavage
ninjette.org newbie

Name: adam

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

03 250 choke stuck??

I have had a problem with a high idle for a little while, I had an air leak that I just fixed but it still does it. when it is already warm and I start it it shoots up to 3000 to 4000 rpms. I checked the throttle cable which seems fine. the choke cable seemed fine too but I put the tank back on and started it with the hose that goes to the choke from the petcock disconnected, at least what I believe is the hose that serves as the bypass for the choke, it was the smaller of the two and connected to the carb right under the choke cable. when started the bike idled perfectly. My problem is that the choke cable has play in it. so I don't think adjusting it will solve this. do I need to open up the carb and adjust something??? please help....

OK, so there is probably another air leak too, sprayed some starter fluid up by the boots and the idle went up.....I messed with the idle mixture screws before that so I think I'm gonna take the carb off and set those to stock since they are hard to adjust on the bike. then I can look at the boots..

Last futzed with by curioussavage; November 3rd, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
curioussavage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
If your gunna take the carbs off, then might as well clean them while your at it. One problem off the table. Sounds like your on your way to getting it right though.

Best of luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #3
curioussavage
ninjette.org newbie

yep

ya I already cleaned the carbs, the guy I bought it from had left it sitting so they were gummed up. they should be fine, unless some crap in the tank got in there...this idle really bugs me, it sits at 6000 rpms after I get going.

Old November 7th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by curioussavage View Post
......My problem is that the choke cable has play in it. so I don't think adjusting it will solve this. do I need to open up the carb and adjust something??? please help....
The choke cable should have some play, so when released, the plunges close completely (check that the slider actually slides freely and completely goes in or closes without any remaining pull from the cable / it can use some lubrication).

If too much or not enough cable play, there is an adjustment under the gas tank (left side).

The cable and actuator may need some lubrication.

Nothing to adjust inside the carb regarding the choke.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Did you turn the idle adjuster down? Maybe it's simply set to high.

Old November 15th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #6
curioussavage
ninjette.org newbie

hmmm

so I actually just took it all apart took the carb off sprayed the carb out a bit and put it all back together. between me an my brother who just broke a valve guide(sucks) we have taken these apart quite a few times. got everything seated perfect. and it still idled high when I started it, adjusted the idle adjuster a few times it kept going up again. after I rode it a block it went down and stays down pretty much where it is supposed to, But... it seems to waver a little, its not a steady idle. I need to change the oil. but could that mean I need a valve adjustment maybe??

Old November 16th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Yes, if the last adjustment was done more than 6K miles ago or improperly.

However, don't agonize over the idle rpm's, if they are low enough to facilitate gear changes, they are OK.

Ride that thing away and get to know her better.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

If your idle is jumpy, check the simple stuff first;

Airbox - clean and clear
Air filter - clean and clear
Vac lines - no leaks
Carb boots no leaks
Idle jets - clean and clear
Carb sync - must be synced
Fuel filter - free flowing
Petcock - free flowing
Plugs and wires - not fouled, gapped and not arcing
Battery - holds charge and proper output voltage

As long as there is nothing major wrong, getting a smooth idle shouldn't be to hard.

Old November 16th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #9
rabies
time is running out....

Name: jesse

Motorcycle(s): pregen ninjari

choke? take it off.

Old November 16th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
a bit out of sync is no problem. enjoy riding her. do lots of brap braping and maybe some yut-ughs