ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 15th, 2015, 01:06 PM   #1
rwp
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 black. Previously Suzuki DR650, Suz SV650, Honda Hawk GT, Yam XT225, BMW F650

Continuation of old guy/new pregen saga

I got a lot of good help from this board in acquiring my '07 Ninja 250 with 5800 miles. I've ridden it a bit but also spent some time fitting it to me. I'm 68, about 5"9", 210 lbs, with a 28 inch inseam. Although I like light, short bikes, the pegs are high enough that my hip joints don't like the bend for extended periods. And I already knew about gearing and suspension. So this may be some guidance for heavier (and older riders).

1) I swapped out the rear sping/shock unit for a new gen - clear improvement and initially appears very adequate for my weight even on lowest preload setting. ($55)

2) 15 tooth front sprocket - just a quick ride on it, but it seems to be a no-brainer as others have suggested. ($15)

3) The biggest improvement for me thus far........ Buell foot pegs. These took only about an hour to modify and install, and the 1 - 1 1/4 inch difference in location feels dramatic! I have not actually ridden on them yet, our subdivision road is being paved today so I'm imprisoned in my garage, but the change is obvious and immediately feels right for me. Best $40 I will spend, I think.

4) .80 front springs back-ordered but on their way. ($100 or so for springs and 15w fork oil)

Then I will concentrate on putting some NC mountain autumn miles on the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150915_105026370_HDR.jpg (93.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150915_105047557_HDR.jpg (99.1 KB, 7 views)
rwp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Very nice, well done sir.

I have done similar modifications to mine, and more. I have a similar setup foot pegs on my, they make a big difference on comfort, as my inseam is 34".

I also own 91 EX500, I just love these parallel twins.

Another option is for your fork springs are to switch to a NewGen, which are higher rate, and then cutting them down to desired spring rate, and then space it out and set the sag.
@InvisiBill has the specific numbers, hopefully he'll show up. He's also a member of EX-500.com as well.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #4
rwp
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 black. Previously Suzuki DR650, Suz SV650, Honda Hawk GT, Yam XT225, BMW F650

I should have checked new gen springs (.65 kg/mm). I took the easier way out and ordered .80 kg/mm Sonic springs.

If the opportunity presented itself after I have a few miles on the bike, I have thought about a complete new gen fork swap with 17 inch tire. Either bumping preload in the rear or raising forks in triple clamps would keep it level and I would at least have a 17 front. But frankly that's a bit aggressive until I have a thorough knowledge of the bike and a real commitment to it.

Old September 16th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #5
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
PreGen Fork Spring Rate Chart

Based on RT's calculator, .80kg/mm might be a bit high for your weight. If you can get them sooner, .75 might work out just as well (and you could even cut them down a bit to stiffen them up, if you wanted to). But it sounds like you've got a pretty good grasp on things overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwp View Post
Either bumping preload in the rear or raising forks in triple clamps would keep it level and I would at least have a 17 front.
Changing the preload will change your sag, which will affect the action of the suspension. While it has a side effect of slightly changing the ride height, you shouldn't use it as a primary way of adjusting ride height. It's comparable to lowering your bike by letting some air out of the tires.

I'm bigger than you, and getting appropriate fork springs was the best change I've made on my 500. It improves everything about the front end, making it less squishy when braking or riding hard, but also making for a softer ride by being able to actually absorb bumps.

I forgot about the Buell pegs. I think that would help me fit my 500 better too. The spacing feels much better to me if I tuck my feet under/behind the pegs rather than on top, so these would probably work out great for me. There are quite a few options for extended/adjustable pegs like that on eBay now. I'm doing some research to see if any of them might bolt right into the 500 without having to grind anything.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2015, 02:38 PM   #6
rwp
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Based on RT's calculator, .80kg/mm might be a bit high for your weight. If you can get them sooner, .75 might work out just as well (and you could even cut them down a bit to stiffen them up, if you wanted to). But it sounds like you've got a pretty good grasp on things overall.
a

Changing the preload will change your sag, which will affect the action of the suspension. While it has a side effect of slightly changing the ride height, you shouldn't use it as a primary way of adjusting ride height. It's comparable to lowering your bike by letting some air out of the tires.

I'm bigger than you, and getting appropriate fork springs was the best change I've made on my 500. It improves everything about the front end, making it less squishy when braking or riding hard, but also making for a softer ride by being able to actually absorb bumps.

I forgot about the Buell pegs. I think that would help me fit my 500 better too. The spacing feels much better to me if I tuck my feet under/behind the pegs rather than on top, so these would probably work out great for me. There are quite a few options for extended/adjustable pegs like that on eBay now. I'm doing some research to see if any of them might bolt right into the 500 without having to grind anything.
I talked to the guys at Sonic Springs and they recommended the .80, which were backordered. They had .75 s available, but strongly recommended that if I could wait the .80 s would be better.

Excellent point about rear height adjustment. I was having brain fade. In any case, I probably won't get too aggressive with parts changing until I really know the bike.

And, regarding the Buell pegs, there is no alteration to the frame or peg mounts. The only milling is on the Buell parts and I did it with a drill bit and a bench grinder.

Today was a construction day for my garage expansion so the bike sat for another day. Tomorrow........