ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old September 21st, 2014, 12:48 PM   #1
ea8383
ninjette.org member

Name: Edgar

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Dropped my bike! Pictures posted! Need advice!

Hey hey, new to riding and had my first drop! Sucks pretty f-in bad but hey happens to the best of us. I took some pics and wanted some advice as to what to do next.

Backround:
Dropped it while making a u-turn and turned a bit wide, got into the dip of the gutter and lost balance. My bike tipped to the right and hit the curb. Oil cap fell off and a tiny bit of oil leaked out. Scratches to the oil tank as you see in the pictures. And worse of all crack in what holds the rear brake in place.

So what I wan't to know is the following advice:
Should I worry about my oil cap? It screws on but its insanely tight and closes nearly all the way but not fulllyyy
How can I touch up the scratches on the oil tank? Just want it to look decent and not be such a eye sore. (some people mentioned nail polish lol or touch up paint)
Lastly, most important, what is that cracked metal bar called that holds the rear brake? Since its my brakes I feel it better be changed ASAP! Agreed?

I feel the bike runs smoothly still and it was a really slow drop so I think its safe but you really never know what could happen internally. Anyways, any advice really appreciated! Sorry for long post and thanks for your time

Pictures
http://tinypic.com/m/ifcqi8/2
http://tinypic.com/m/ifcqhv/2
http://tinypic.com/m/ifcqhw/2
http://tinypic.com/m/ifcqhx/2
ea8383 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2014, 12:55 PM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
P.S. You're talking about the rear brake lever/pedal. For a moment, I thought you were talking about the actual brake caliper itself lol. In any case, the part that holds the footpeg and brake pedal is called a rearset. You might be able to find a used one cheap somewhere, or use it as an opportunity to get aftermarket rearsets. Also the 2008-2012 rearsets, while not matching in appearance, would be compatible.

I wouldn't worry about the scrapes to the engine case. Just get some frame spray paint from an auto shop to cover it up. I've done it to worse scrapes on my bike and they're barely noticeable after spraying. Get a new oil cap though. I dunno how much the stock one costs; you could probably get a cool aftermarket one instead.

Old September 21st, 2014, 01:21 PM   #3
ea8383
ninjette.org member

Good man! I'll definitely look into the rear sets and oil cap both stock and aftermarket to compare pricing. It might look cool having something a little different too. Frame spray paint is a good idea too!

My white fairing got scratched up too. I ghetto fab fixed it with some white out hahaha actually looks great and cant notice it much. I was considering buying some Kawi touch up pearl white. Any other ideas?

Old September 21st, 2014, 01:28 PM   #4
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
The OEM paint is a two step paint job so it might be hard to re-create with a touch-up pen. You'd be buying two pens if you want a close match.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. Take care of it when you're more experienced and have gotten the newbie drops out of your system.

Old September 21st, 2014, 02:06 PM   #5
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I would and did buy aftermarket rearsets, biggest reason is you can adjust them and as a perk replacement parts are cheap. I would replace the oil cap.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2014, 03:57 PM   #6
ea8383
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
The OEM paint is a two step paint job so it might be hard to re-create with a touch-up pen. You'd be buying two pens if you want a close match.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. Take care of it when you're more experienced and have gotten the newbie drops out of your system.
Agreed. Hate to say it but, doubt it'll be my last drop. Did you drop your bike often when you started? How long till you got the hang of it?
Also, how long until you ride highways if you do ride highways? Somewhat intimidated by the thought of 80 mph in traffic.

Old September 21st, 2014, 03:58 PM   #7
ea8383
ninjette.org member

Nice. Definitely will be replacing both. Thank you!

Old September 21st, 2014, 04:31 PM   #8
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea8383 View Post
Agreed. Hate to say it but, doubt it'll be my last drop. Did you drop your bike often when you started? How long till you got the hang of it?
Also, how long until you ride highways if you do ride highways? Somewhat intimidated by the thought of 80 mph in traffic.
I definitely dropped my bike when I was learning from making silly mistakes. It's been quite a few years though since my first bike so I can't really give a time frame of when that stopped. It's hard to give a hard length of time or number of miles ridden anyway because everyone has a different riding experience. I don't believe I waited very long to go on the highway though. A month at most.

Old September 21st, 2014, 05:10 PM   #9
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Good man! I'll definitely look into the rear sets and oil cap both stock and aftermarket to compare pricing. It might look cool having something a little different too. Frame spray paint is a good idea too!

My white fairing got scratched up too. I ghetto fab fixed it with some white out hahaha actually looks great and cant notice it much. I was considering buying some Kawi touch up pearl white. Any other ideas?
Sorry you crashed, glad you are OK! As far as repairing the scratches to your fairing---go to Walmart or CVS and find a nail polish that best matches your paint color! You can fill in the scratch and the color --if close enough-- will blend in and make it disappear! I found yellow that perfectly matches my Ducati 748's paint perfectly for $2.95. Nail polish is actually really good quality paint.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 04:45 PM   #10
ea8383
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I definitely dropped my bike when I was learning from making silly mistakes. It's been quite a few years though since my first bike so I can't really give a time frame of when that stopped. It's hard to give a hard length of time or number of miles ridden anyway because everyone has a different riding experience. I don't believe I waited very long to go on the highway though. A month at most.
glad I'm not alone in this haha makes me feel a little less like crap. dam month only.. I am still on streets but its only been about a week. Who knows how fast I progress but I think it might take me a little longer to get comfy at those speeds.

Old September 22nd, 2014, 04:47 PM   #11
ea8383
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
Sorry you crashed, glad you are OK! As far as repairing the scratches to your fairing---go to Walmart or CVS and find a nail polish that best matches your paint color! You can fill in the scratch and the color --if close enough-- will blend in and make it disappear! I found yellow that perfectly matches my Ducati 748's paint perfectly for $2.95. Nail polish is actually really good quality paint.
LOL I can't help but laugh at the nail polish patching. I have heard it from several sources though and at this point.. what the hell I'll give it a shot! $3 fixesss shitttt I'm all for it

Old September 22nd, 2014, 04:59 PM   #12
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Oh believe me it was terrifying to go that fast the first few times

Old September 22nd, 2014, 05:18 PM   #13
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

REAR SET = supports peg and lever (for break and shifter)
Replace that= its important to have structurally sound components on the bike. Ebay a used one or buy aftermarket.

Clutch Cover = the ride side cover that bolts to the crankcase. You add oil to the crank case here. There is no oil tank on this or most other sport bikes.
Replace the oil cap = it is cheap and easily found on ebay or amazon - it is important to have a good seal here

Take a look around and make certain nothing else was damaged.

If you dont care about the bike being mint. Just touch up the pain with nail polish.
otherwise get the correct paint and watch a some you tube vids

Glad you are OK and the bike suffered minimal damage.

The cover on the other side of the bike is your stator cover

The oil sits in the bottom crank case of the motor and is pumped around the inside for lubrication and coolin.

There are a lot of parts on the bike. If you will be working on your own , take a little time to familiarize yourself with the parts and names. Also make sure you have a few quality tools and observe good practices like torquing bolts to proper tension.

good luck
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2014, 06:41 PM   #14
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Used Stock pieces are a lot cheaper
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:41 PM   #15
mr2peak
ninjette.org member

Name: james

Motorcycle(s): Hyper 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Used Stock pieces are a lot cheaper
+1 ebay or for sale forum here

Get the rear sets later when you're less likely to drop it and more likely to appreciate the difference in position.
mr2peak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:55 PM   #16
ea8383
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Oh believe me it was terrifying to go that fast the first few times
Just saw your post on dropped bike... woah chief. Kudos on handling all that work

Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:58 PM   #17
ea8383
ninjette.org member

Awesome and ty. Will be ordering rear sets asap. You mentioned a clutch cover but I have no damage to my clutch? and for now a nail polish touch up sounds fine!

Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:00 PM   #18
ea8383
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2peak View Post
+1 ebay or for sale forum here

Get the rear sets later when you're less likely to drop it and more likely to appreciate the difference in position.
Do rear sets really break that often that I should get it later? Also I don't feel structurally safe riding too hard with it broken. Been riding like a pansy making sure not to damage it further

Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:05 PM   #19
ea8383
ninjette.org member

Heres a link to a rear set I found on eBay. What do you guys think. I like that its black and looking to spend no more than 100 (seems like they go up to 300 for rear sets..)

Black CNC Adjusting Rearset Footpegs Rear Set For Kawasaki Ninja 300R 2013

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-CNC-Ad...136149&vxp=mtr

Theres also this but it doesn't really look like a rear set to me?

YOSHIMURA REARSET FOOTPEG BRACKET KIT - KAWASAKI NINJA 250/300 08-13 _R-K930-K

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YOSHIMURA-RE...c9a0b5&vxp=mtr

God I feel like a noob!

Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:12 PM   #20
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I tend to be wary of untested things. If you want to go that cheap, might as well just buy used OEM rearsets.

Here's a set of OEM rearsets for sale on here:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197635

The yoshi brackets are meant to be used together with the stock rearsets. They are not a standalone product.

Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:16 PM   #21
mr2peak
ninjette.org member

You might as well get the ebay rear sets, that's super cheap. However, shipping looks like it's 2-4 weeks..

I run very similar ones. Make sure you use lock-tite on EVERY bolt, they WILL loosen up on you. Are you somewhat mechanically inclined? No instructions, so you're pretty much on your own, simple enough though.

Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:18 PM   #22
mr2peak
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I tend to be wary of untested things. If you want to go that cheap, might as well just buy used OEM rearsets.

The yoshi brackets are meant to be used together with the stock rearsets. They are not a standalone product.
I have ebay rear sets. They are OK for me because I futz around with my bike constantly, wouldn't recommend them unless you have some "test and tune time" to get them set up correctly.

Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:00 PM   #23
ea8383
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You might as well get the ebay rear sets, that's super cheap. However, shipping looks like it's 2-4 weeks..

I run very similar ones. Make sure you use lock-tite on EVERY bolt, they WILL loosen up on you. Are you somewhat mechanically inclined? No instructions, so you're pretty much on your own, simple enough though.
Ya I'm good with my hands. Only problem is I have a metacarpal fracture (aka boxers fracture ) so I have to wait a few weeks anyway for this **** to heal. Brightside: have to wait a bit for eBay to ship it as you mentioned anyway so it all works out.

Side note: I lagged my Drs appointment for my x-ray and took my 3 day MSF course with my fractured hand! hahaha hard as all hell to play it off but passed with only 2 marks/20

Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:02 PM   #24
ea8383
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Okay, but if I buy the eBay rear sets I don't need to buy the Yoshis as well right? Just take off my cracked one and put the new. I'm here in Cali btw, that link shows the guys from NC

Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:03 PM   #25
ea8383
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I have ebay rear sets. They are OK for me because I futz around with my bike constantly, wouldn't recommend them unless you have some "test and tune time" to get them set up correctly.
Yea shouldn't be a problem but thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a good couple test rides and check back to see if they're sitting right.

Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:17 PM   #26
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Okay, but if I buy the eBay rear sets I don't need to buy the Yoshis as well right? Just take off my cracked one and put the new. I'm here in Cali btw, that link shows the guys from NC
No, they are intended to move the position of the OEM rearsets which can be a cheaper solution to better ergonomics than getting aftermarket rearsets.

People on the forum ship things too lol

Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:49 PM   #27
ea8383
ninjette.org member

Quote:
No, they are intended to move the position of the OEM rearsets which can be a cheaper solution to better ergonomics than getting aftermarket rearsets.

People on the forum ship things too lol
Lol. whoda thunk?! I feel safer getting the new ones. Plus that black rear set tho

Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:37 PM   #28
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Breaking parts = excuse to start customizing

Old September 24th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #29
ea8383
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Breaking parts = excuse to start customizing
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Old September 25th, 2014, 05:17 AM   #30
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
I have a couple extra oil caps if you want one. Ones stock and one is aluminum. I can send you pictures later if your interested.

I may have a set of OEM rearsets for sale soon too.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote