ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 25th, 2015, 08:37 AM   #1
JayJay
ninjette.org member

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Leaking oil?

Okay, Not sure what to think about this. My bike is leaking oil from the bolt thats on the veryy bottom of the bike. Where the oil filter goes in i believe. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think thats where the oil filter goes!

Does this mean something is wrong?? It's getting an oil change saturday morning. I'm not sure how long it's been since it's had a change, i've had the bike about 2-3 months, we haven't changed it yet. Just within the past 3 weeks i've been riding it more often, about 3x a week.

Just a worrysome new owner!! Thanks in advance everyone!
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2015, 08:52 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Most likely needs a new crush washer. They should be replaced with each oil change, but many don't.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2015, 08:52 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
There are o-rings that seal the filter assembly, and chances are they need replacing. I would mention to the shop that it's leaking, so they make sure to replace the o-rings. Otherwise they may not. There is also a large drain plug (bolt) that has a crush washer (as Chris mentioned) that needs to be replaced occasionally as well.

Really, you can easily learn to change the oil yourself - it's not hard. You save money and also get to choose a better oil than whatever they use for everything.

You need to be able to do simple maintenance. Checking and changing the oil, checking and adjusting the chain, checking other important fluid levels (coolant, brake fluid), checking tire pressure - all things that are much more important for your safety on a cycle than a car.

You can't be running to the shop every time you need the chain adjusted or oil level checked.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #4
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Okay, so leaking from the outer edges can be caused by the large o-ring , leaking from the center bolt can be caused by the smaller o-ring / crush washer. My bet is on the small o-ring since you have to pull the bolt out to even replace it.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2015, 09:10 AM   #5
JayJay
ninjette.org member

My boyfriend is going to teach my how to change the oil Saturday. We pretty well do all of our own maintence, i'm just at work worrying myself!!

I am going to replace crush washer and the o-rings when we do it, since we don't know when the last time they were replaced.

Old June 25th, 2015, 08:18 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
My boyfriend is going to teach my how to change the oil Saturday. We pretty well do all of our own maintence, i'm just at work worrying myself!!

I am going to replace crush washer and the o-rings when we do it, since we don't know when the last time they were replaced.
The O-rings that he will need come with the filter.

The aluminum crush washer can be softened and re-used if heated and dropped in cold water.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2015, 10:52 PM   #7
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Crush washers.....besides the dealership, where else can we buy crush washers? I need various sizes. It'll be nice to have a variety pack

Need them for rear differential, tranny fluid, motor oil changes for different vehicles.

Old June 26th, 2015, 06:22 AM   #8
JayJay
ninjette.org member

Not sure if i just got screwed down at the parts house, got my filter, but no o-rings...
Hmmmm. He also said the were out of crush washers for my bike....
poor customer service leads me to believe he was just trying to get me out of there.

But either way!! We live near a small engine store that sells O-rings in whatever size your little heart could desire, so we will probably just take the old ones and buy new ones. As far as the crush washer, we are going to replace it this time.

Old June 26th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Not sure if i just got screwed down at the parts house, got my filter, but no o-rings...
Hmmmm. He also said the were out of crush washers for my bike....
poor customer service leads me to believe he was just trying to get me out of there.

But either way!! We live near a small engine store that sells O-rings in whatever size your little heart could desire, so we will probably just take the old ones and buy new ones. As far as the crush washer, we are going to replace it this time.
If you buy the right filter, it should come with o-rings. If the crush washer is not entirely distorted, you may be able to reuse it until you get the correct one.
http://https://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Oil_Filters

http://http://www.cheapcycleparts.co...gasket-12x22x2
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.