ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #1
cmSAE
ninjette.org member

Name: Connor

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

How far?

Ive been riding for about 5 months now, but ive never had to take any turns where ive had to lean very far, but it got me thinking...how far (on 2012 stock tires) can you lean the bike in a turn before you have to worry about the bike coming out from under you? burn me all you want for asking, but ive taken MSF courses and id rather look stupid online than stupid on the roads
cmSAE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You can lean it until hard parts start to scrape (pegs, exhaust and so on). Take your time and don't push beyond your limits.

Be safe out there.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

|-------------- this far ---------------|

Chris covered it. The ultimate capabilities of the bike and the tires match his statement. But for that to work, the rider needs to be smooth, realize when the feedback coming from the bike isn't what is expected, and to have enough traction in reserve to be able to deal with any surprises. The bike has plenty of lean angle, and can safely navigate just about anything on the street at multiples of the speed limit before running into its ultimate limitations.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmSAE View Post
id rather look stupid online than stupid on the roads
I like your attitude too

We will forgive you, the pavement will not.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #5
cmSAE
ninjette.org member

Name: Connor

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

haha. thanks for the info, thats what i thought, but my beginner brain has a hard time picturing the bike leaning that far.
cmSAE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #6
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

You can lean the bike over pretty far. I was amazed first time I drug (dragged?) a knee. These bikes are just as nimble, if not more so, than the 600's and 1000's. Take a look at some of the racing threads and the associated pictures to see the lean angles the guys on the track are getting. Keep in mind they probably have race tires, rearsets, aftermarket exhaust and shaved kickstands. Either way, you will get an idea of what the bike is capable of.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Something evident, but worth mentioning: all that greatly depends on the conditions of the road and tires.

It takes little oil or sand over the pavement to make things ugly in a heart bit.

Wet asphalt offers much less grip, being wet concrete and wet steel even worse.

New tires can displace water from the rubber-asphalt inter-phase much better than worn out tires.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #8
drac
ninjette.org member

Name: drac

Motorcycle(s): '88 Hurricane 600, '09 Ninja 250

there is an old saying that goes "You don't know how fast you can go until you crash". You just keep going through the same turn a little faster with a little more lean every time. When you finally crash back it up just a little and that's how fast(read lean) you can go.....

Now I realize you don't ever wanna crash and considering you are a pretty new rider the best advise I can give is.......

1. Be patient
2. Be patient
3. smooth throttle always
4. Just go a LITTLE faster than normal through a turn when conditions are safe. Pick one turn to test things out, keep the variable at a minimum
5. You will get scared/uncomfortable well before you reach your tires limits at this point in you riding adventure
6. Be patient
7. Be smart, Be safe, Have fun

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #9
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

There have been a few times that I've scraped pegs on both sides. But, now that I've ridden longer, I realize my body position was too stiff or off alignment. NOw i can take turns faster with less angle, but it takes experience and time to figure that out. Take it one step at a time.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote