ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 9th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #1
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Arrested!

This is old news, but I'm just now talking about it.

Last September I bought my Ninja, took the MSF course and got my motorcycle endorsement along with all the proper paperwork, gear and taxes. About a month later in October, a buddy and I were riding on a dirt road out in the woods when a surly game warden nearly ran us over with his 4 wheel drive pickup. He accused us of riding on a bicycle trail and trying to flee and evade a police officer. Then he charged us both with misdemeanors. This was the first time in my life that I have ever been arrested.

Now the fleeing and evading part was totally made up. Need I say again that I was on a Ninja. Its a really great street bike, but in soft dirt it really sucks. My max speed was about 10 mph. He was full of sPit. Neither one of us was running and my friend who was ahead of me actually turned around and came back.

As far as the bicycle trail stuff, we were on private property with the permission of the owner. It seems that the owner didn't know that the South Florida Water Control District had stolen their land. Now it seems that they are upset about it and a lawsuit may follow.

We were sent to court in the company of all sorts of hookers, drug dealers, wife beaters and other friendly folks. Fortunately the state attorney looked at the charges and promptly dropped them remarking "This is stupid." We never actually had a trial, but their was a lot of grief between point A and point B.

I checked the game warden's history and we were the only ones he has arrested for a misdemeanor in the 12 months that I checked. The interesting thing is that he has stopped other people out there and only gave them an infraction. One was a guy on an unlicensed ATV, drunk and firing a gun at targets. He got a $50 fine.

So there you have it. Unarmed, sober guy on motorcycle = arrest. Armed drunk not on motorcycle = ticket.

Just curious if anybody else has been harassed by the law for riding a motorcycle.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #2
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

No but almost hit head on by a DEM (park ranger) chasing 2 ATV on a public road. The DEM officer was driving on the wrong side of the road.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #3
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
This is old news, but I'm just now talking about it.

Last September I bought my Ninja, took the MSF course and got my motorcycle endorsement along with all the proper paperwork, gear and taxes. About a month later in October, a buddy and I were riding on a dirt road out in the woods when a surly game warden nearly ran us over with his 4 wheel drive pickup. He accused us of riding on a bicycle trail and trying to flee and evade a police officer. Then he charged us both with misdemeanors. This was the first time in my life that I have ever been arrested.

Now the fleeing and evading part was totally made up. Need I say again that I was on a Ninja. Its a really great street bike, but in soft dirt it really sucks. My max speed was about 10 mph. He was full of sPit. Neither one of us was running and my friend who was ahead of me actually turned around and came back.

As far as the bicycle trail stuff, we were on private property with the permission of the owner. It seems that the owner didn't know that the South Florida Water Control District had stolen their land. Now it seems that they are upset about it and a lawsuit may follow.

We were sent to court in the company of all sorts of hookers, drug dealers, wife beaters and other friendly folks. Fortunately the state attorney looked at the charges and promptly dropped them remarking "This is stupid." We never actually had a trial, but their was a lot of grief between point A and point B.

I checked the game warden's history and we were the only ones he has arrested for a misdemeanor in the 12 months that I checked. The interesting thing is that he has stopped other people out there and only gave them an infraction. One was a guy on an unlicensed ATV, drunk and firing a gun at targets. He got a $50 fine.

So there you have it. Unarmed, sober guy on motorcycle = arrest. Armed drunk not on motorcycle = ticket.

Just curious if anybody else has been harassed by the law for riding a motorcycle.
I've once been pulled over claiming I had an expired license plate, yeah that's right, claiming.
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #4
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

The most I've had was an Orange County Sheriff telling me I was doing 80mph in a 55. Granted my speedo said close to 80 (we all know the innacuracy of our speedos), but the limit was 65 and I wasn't the only one going that fast. He pulled up to me at a light from the exit ramp and asked if I knew what the speed limit was. I told him it was 65 to which he responded "NO, it's 55 NOT 80. If you don't want a $***.00 fine I suggest you slow down!" Of course all I did at that point was nod and go along my way thinking what a prick he was.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #5
mj23retired
ninjette.org member

Name: Ernie

Motorcycle(s): green 2010 ninja 250r

This crap happens to me on any vehicle. I fall into the age range that I must always be doing something wrong. That is a fear I have about getting a bike.

Cop mindset "Hmm...a 22 year old male, on a sport bike (that thing must be at least a 600) he has to be doing something wrong, or is going to. I should pull him over"
mj23retired is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #6
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Quote:

...and there was all kinds of mean nasty ugly
looking people on the bench there. Mother rapers. Father stabbers. Father
rapers! Father rapers sitting right there on the bench next to me! And
they was mean and nasty and ugly and horrible crime-type guys sitting on the
bench next to me. And the meanest, ugliest, nastiest one, the meanest
father raper of them all, was coming over to me and he was mean 'n' ugly
'n' nasty 'n' horrible and all kind of things and he sat down next to me
and said, "Kid, whad'ya get?" I said, "I didn't get nothing, I had to pay
$50 and pick up the garbage."

Alice's Restaurant
By Arlo Guthrie
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #7
bowersox3589
ninjette.org member

Name: Thad

Motorcycle(s): 2008 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj23retired View Post
This crap happens to me on any vehicle. I fall into the age range that I must always be doing something wrong. That is a fear I have about getting a bike.

Cop mindset "Hmm...a 22 year old male, on a sport bike (that thing must be at least a 600) he has to be doing something wrong, or is going to. I should pull him over"
I'm 21 and the first time I went riding on an actual rode, started out on the back roads around my house, I was coming up to a cop and four cars passed me and flashed their lights so I'd know he was there so I could slow down. I was going 48 in a 45 and my dad was behind me on his Harley.
bowersox3589 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #8
darrell85
darrell85

Name: darrell

Motorcycle(s): 2001 250 ninja

I have gotten the same treatment from law enforcenment a couple times. Most of them see a sport bike and automaticaly think, young, wreckless, punk going too damn fast. luckily both times this happened to me, I was on my way to work. the cop walks up to the bike thinkin hes really gonna lay in to this punk, and then all i do is unzip my jacket so he can see my uniform and badge and duty belt and its, uuuhhh, have a nice day and be careful out there. Another one of the perks of working law enforcement. If we all rode goldwings or big harley baggers they probably wouldnt even look twice at us, but what fun would that be?
darrell85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #9
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
This stuff happens to me all the time;

You were doing 90 in a 70 zone,
You were doing 70 in a 50 zone,
You were doing 149 in a 55 zone,
You were riding on state land (that my taxes pay for),
Your passenger fell off and you didn't stop (I didn't even know),
Your plate doesn't belong to this bike,

I think they make this stuff up when they get bored.
Lawyers can usually straighten everything out but it does cost money.

Old February 9th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #10
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Man, you had the passenger fall off and you didn't stop?? I thought I was the only person this routinely happened to. No wonder my wife won't ride with me anymore...

Kind of stinks arriving at your destination and wondering what is missing. I know I had something and now I don't, what was it again?

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #11
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
I was riding a cbr 900rr. I got a ticket for doing 55 in a 35 zone. I was the 4th vehicle back in a line of 9-10 vehicles, I was the only bike in the line. We were traveling in the 35-40 range on the bikes speedo... just pokin along. When I asked why he chose me out of the line, he said I was "running a lot faster than everyone else."

I was pulliing at the helmet strap when he said "take off your helmet BOY." I was easily 10 years older than he was.

I took it to court and lost. I think they were neighbors

Old February 9th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #12
t0ast
ninjette.org member

Name: K

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by demp View Post
I've once been pulled over claiming I had an expired license plate, yeah that's right, claiming.
I'm sure you'd enjoy this story then:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-02-0...police-officer
t0ast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #13
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
I was riding a cbr 900rr. I got a ticket for doing 55 in a 35 zone. I was the 4th vehicle back in a line of 9-10 vehicles, I was the only bike in the line. We were traveling in the 35-40 range on the bikes speedo... just pokin along. When I asked why he chose me out of the line, he said I was "running a lot faster than everyone else."
That's why I run a helmet cam pretty much every inch I move on a bike (run a couple in the car, too, but that's a different story).
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #14
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I recommend being a young female on a motorcycle. I've been pulled over twice and let go with a warning both times.

When I was pulled over in a speed trap in Florida, the officer looked at my California plates/license, said, "now THAT'S what I'm talking about!" and told me to enjoy my trip.

Old February 9th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #15
n4mwd

I'm trying to get a bike cam for my Ninja, but I don't have one yet. I'm an older guy, but with my helmet and full gear on, a cop can't tell my age. The game warden probably thought I was 21 or something when he saw the Ninja.

Oh yeah, we hired a lawyer. He was worthless. He never even came to court.

I did learn some stuff though. Infraction - you are guilty until proven innocent for the most part. That is, in the absence of any contradictory evidence, the judge will ALWAYS side with the cop. However, with a misdemeanor, you are innocent until proven guilty. So the cop must prove you broke the law not just his word. That probably had something to do with why the DA threw it out so easily.

Old February 9th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #16
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I was pulled over for doing 120 in a 65 on highway 101 in california. Sadly, I was actually doing 120 in a 65 and didn't have much to complain about.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #17
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
I wouldn't call it harassement, but I was pulled over the 5th day i had my bike. The cop used a stupid excuse for pulling me over, but I didn't get a ticket. I guess after I took off my helmet and saw i'm a chick he figured i'm too chicken to do anything crazy.

So I invested in pigtails for my helmet so i'm left alone.

Old February 9th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #18
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboros View Post

Alice's Restaurant
By Arlo Guthrie
and they aaaaaaalll moved away from me on the bench there.

Old February 9th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #19
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
I wouldn't call it harassement, but I was pulled over the 5th day i had my bike. The cop used a stupid excuse for pulling me over, but I didn't get a ticket. I guess after I took off my helmet and saw i'm a chick he figured i'm too chicken to do anything crazy.

So I invested in pigtails for my helmet so i'm left alone.
Maybe we should all invest in some pigtails
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #20
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by demp View Post
Maybe we should all invest in some pigtails
lol i think thats a great idea, but be careful...you get weird remarks for dudes.

Old February 10th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #21
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Nope, I've never been harassed at all on my bike. Although, I HAVE aided in getting someone else pulled over. Story time!

I was on my way home from work, and I left the same time as one of my coworkers who also rides. We were both probably going about 5, maybe 10, over the speed limit, but I then saw a dark parked car, and figured it must be a cop (Pretty common on that street). I instinctually braked and got my speed down to speed limit, even though that speed wouldn't have really been a problem. But in doing so, it looked like my coworker was going much faster by comparison (The fact that he's a total squid, and I'm an ATGATT nazi probably didn't help).

Anyways, so shortly after we pass, the cop takes off, swerves around me and takes off after my coworker. He ended up not getting a ticket (talked his way out of it I guess. He had JUST gotten his bike out of impound after getting pulled over for riding without a license/insurance/registration, so I guess the cop showed him some sympathy since he was allegedly getting his act together). Texted me right afterwords complaining that I should never just brake right next to a cop

Needless to say, I got to laugh at him rather hysterically for quite some time. I may have felt kind of bad if he had gotten a ticket...... no, on second thought, that guy's the biggest douchebag I've ever met, so that would have made it all the sweeter- but regardless, I was happy to aid in his misfortune. Haha, good times
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #22
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
I may have felt kind of bad if he had gotten a ticket...... no, on second thought, that guy's the biggest douchebag I've ever met, so that would have made it all the sweeter- but regardless, I was happy to aid in his misfortune. Haha, good times

Old February 10th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #23
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Luckily, the only cop I've ever met on the side of the road that wasn't a total prick, is also the only cop to pull me over while on my bike. No ticket, just a "Slow down, be safe". In contrast, I always get tickets in my Jeep.

Old February 10th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #24
n4mwd

I actually get a kick out of motorcycle cops that biker wave at me. I can't help but think they would be more merciful if I was speeding.

Old February 10th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #25
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlarorc View Post
Gareth, You are dating yourself. "The Group W Bench" Great memories!

Old February 10th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #26
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

The only place we have ever been harassed by LEOs has been in Florida on our boat. We were harassed by the "Water Nazis" (Florida Marine Patrol) in anchorages--seemingly checking our Documentation Papers. They have ordered us to move on because we were anchored illegally. (Anchoring off the navigation channel is legal) We were also cited for speeding on the Intercoastal waterway in a no-wake zone. We were under sail alone and a sailboat under sail leaves no wake. My wife and I both hold a USCG Masters License with sail endorsement and maintain our vessel in pristine condition. It is not like we were some dirtballs sailing a garbage scow.

There is no way that our boat will ever sail in Florida waters again. Our recommendation to fellow sailors is to "Go outside" in Georgia and head directly to the Caribbean avoiding Florida altogether. They obviously do not need our tourism dollars. I plan to avoid Florida on my motorcycle as well until someone convinces me otherwise. I love the Carolinas and really have no need to venture farther south.

Old February 10th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #27
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Sail, you are an interesting and accomplished fellow.
Posted via Mobile Device
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #28
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

So, apparently after reading this thread I guess I cannot use the "C'mon officer, do you really think that my 250 can go that fast?" excuse!

Old February 10th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #29
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Put an NRA sticker on the back of your helmet and all you're vehicles. That seems to help me, at least here in Oklahoma :P .

One time I was enjoying a nice ride before work, and was running a bit fast down the interstate. It was only like 2:00pm and there was maybe a dozen cars per mile on this stretch of 6-lane divided highway. There was a cruiser in the left lane going about the speed limit (about 60), so I changed lanes to pass him to the right of the center lane at about 90mph or so. As I got near him, I saw the little "State Highway Patrol" stickers all over the bike, and really brought the bike down to speed, which put my front tire about even with his body. He slowly looked over at me, and I timidly waved at him, and he just shook his head. I was wearing ATGATT (even my actual riding pants), which might have helped his opinion of me for sure.

Another time, I was riding with a nice tailwind and was with my friend on his CBR600RR. I was just creeping over about 100mph (actual), on the same stretch of highway, and look over to see a cop sitting on the other side of the road, and he was looking right back at me. Oddly enough, despite having taken the next offramp and a few turns here and there, he caught up to us several miles later. He paced me just in my blind spot (I didn't notice him for a while actually) for what was probably 30 seconds probably checking out my plates and such, and then went about his business. I'd like to think it was a mixture of wearing full gear, being out for a joy ride in near-freezing temps, having a clean motor record, and of course my sticker that might have swayed his decision, heh.

I have been pulled over several times in vehicles, though, and had never gotten a ticket since I started slapping on those stickers. Usually, they say something about it or simply give the sticker a pat as they walk by.

But I will say cases (among other reasons) like those make me really glad I don't have a faster bike. The thrill might wear off after a while, but in those cases I'm sure I'd have been going much faster than I was, heh.

Old February 10th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #30
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlarorc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboros View Post

Alice's Restaurant
By Arlo Guthrie
http://www.break.com/index/poo-munch...on-camera.html
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #31
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
Put an NRA sticker on the back of your helmet and all you're vehicles. That seems to help me, at least here in Oklahoma :P .
You are close. My dad is a retired firefighter - has a firefighters union sticker on his car. Never, NEVER, gotten pulled over despite driving like a madman, often in front of the police. Cops will go around him, wave, then pull someone else over. Police union and firefighters union stickers is where its at.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #32
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
You are close. My dad is a retired firefighter - has a firefighters union sticker on his car. Never, NEVER, gotten pulled over despite driving like a madman, often in front of the police. Cops will go around him, wave, then pull someone else over. Police union and firefighters union stickers is where its at.
It's always good to be reminded that some people (brotherhoods) are above the law.

Old February 11th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #33
wild-bill
seeking twisties

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 650R, '09 250R special edition

That sucks! Yep, some cops are *#%holes. Fortunately, the only time I've been pulled over on a bike is when I actually WAS breaking the law-mostly speeding. I guess I've been very lucky with that.