ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 14th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #1
Noobman
ninjette.org member

Name: Kolia

Motorcycle(s): 2010 KTM Duke 690, Owned a 2008 Ninja 250

Lowballed on a Pre-Trade Inspection (Plus parts list)

Hey guys n gals,

Just for kicks, I went to a bike shop and got my bike inspected for a "trade-in" option. (I'm thinking of selling it soon , so I wanted to see what I could get).

Now, I bought the bike used with 7000miles on it, and knowing it had been dropped. There were some cosmetic issues, like, some scraped paint on the fairing and some nuts n bolts missing on some places on the fairings, and a missing side stand switch indicator, (wasn't a major issue for me at the time because i was way too excited to be thinking straight). First bike.

Ok, so the dudes at the shop inspected it and came up with a list outlining the problems/things missing, here it is;

-Needs new oil window $180 (What is that?, necessary ?)
-Front rotor $350 (I can't even notice anything wrong with it)
-Carb missing idle adjuster $60 (Isn't that the hose/line located on the right side underneath the fairing behind the coolant area ??, I remember adjusting the idle this way)
-Side stand switch not working $60 (There is no side stand switch)
-No coolant in reservoir $50 (Hmmmm)
-ID Light not working $50 (whats that ??)
TOTAL = $750 to fix.

So that's what the parts cost according to the shop, not including additional labor involved. The dude said he would give me $1000 for my bike..... yea, ok.

By the looks of it, it seems like an easy fix. Is it easy to find these parts cheap, like say, on ebay ?

What do you guys think ?
Noobman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Compooky
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r, 2013 gsxr 600

I think you just added a bike shop to the list of ones you should never visit.

1. Oil window - I'm guessing they mean the sight glass which shouldn't have a problem unless it's cracked which would be pretty noticeable.

2. Font rotor for $350?! Must be the ones made of adamantium.

3. Carb idle - probably referring to the screw on the carbs which you can get for $5 or less. I would assume you had some problems with the bike if this was missing.

4. Side stand switch - cheap and not necessary.

5. No coolant in reservoir - how does that happen?

6 ID light - plate light? cheap from anywhere.

Would probably cost about $200 or less to get everything yourself.
Compooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Runeknight95
ninjette.org member

Name: Derek

Motorcycle(s): 08 cbr1000rr, 2008 + 2012 ninja 250, 06 zx6r (636!) track only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compooky View Post
I think you just added a bike shop to the list of ones you should never visit.

1. Oil window - I'm guessing they mean the sight glass which shouldn't have a problem unless it's cracked which would be pretty noticeable.

2. Font rotor for $350?! Must be the ones made of adamantium.

3. Carb idle - probably referring to the screw on the carbs which you can get for $5 or less. I would assume you had some problems with the bike if this was missing.

4. Side stand switch - cheap and not necessary.

5. No coolant in reservoir - how does that happen?

6 ID light - plate light? cheap from anywhere.

Would probably cost about $200 or less to get everything yourself.

I have a front rotor id sell you, the oem websites want like 230 or so

everything on that list is bullshit haha
Runeknight95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard - that guy is trying to hose you. $50 because your coolant reservoir isn't full!? It costs $10-$15 for a bottle of concentrated water wetter to add in and about $20 for engine ice. There's 1 minute of labor involved in filling that thing. The other guys have covered the rest in here - tell that guy to go kick rocks.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Noobman
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the replies dudes.

Yea, I found this situation to be ridiculous.
Total rip off, iunno what they're trying to pull, but from the looks of the store they seem to be suckering people every hour of everyday .

Anyways, wtf.

I'm in the process of fixing her all up and making her nice n spotless

(just bought a 4 dollar license plate bulb.... $50 they wanted....) .

Old July 15th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
What do I think

rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Ummmm, yea....... With that kinda list, I have to ask. Did they charge you anything for the inspection?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Noobman
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Ummmm, yea....... With that kinda list, I have to ask. Did they charge you anything for the inspection?
No they didnt charge me anything .

Am I allowed to name the perps on here ??

(It be nice if people could just avoid that place, but then again, after getting your "inspected" by them I'm sure anyone in their right mind would just walk away.)

Old July 16th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #9
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

Those prices look like there was labor included. If not, ya, there's a problem. Remember one thing, you brought your bike to him and asked him to identify the problem areas, and that's what he did. Also remember he is a business and he is there to make money, otherwise he goes away and the people who need him don't have a place to take their stuff. Most of us here can handle our own repairs and maintenance so additional labor and parts fees sound like a "rip off". Some people dont have the option of doing their own work so he is their man. Let me clue you into something else, in the bike and automotive business there is retail and wholesale pricing. Dealers want to buy at wholesale and sell at retail. That's what makes them profitable. Sounds crappy but it is necessary for them to exist. I'm not sure if you realize what it takes to keep a shop up and running; rent, utilities, employees wages, insurance, TAXES, tools, supplies that dont get billed to the customer, it goes on and on. Then in the slow season you still have to cover all this stuff. It's tough. So just keep in mind that this guy is doing what he needs to stay in business. Thankfully we have the option of handling it our selves.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #10
Dark
Simple kind of man

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

What did you expect? You went to a shop to get a pre-trade inspection, they're going to note anything and everything that needs to be replaced and at dealer cost. In no way shape or form should someone come in for a pre-trade inspection missing a sidestand switch and not expect them to say that you need a sidestand switch. On the same note, I would expect a used bike I'm purchasing from a dealership to have all the proper safety equipment (whether I wanted it or not) and for all the wear items to be within proper operating spec.

Now I agree that you can save yourself a lot of money by doing the items yourself, the site glass can likeyl be ignored if you can still make out the oil level and the rotor can be purchased elsewhere for less (some aftermarket options as well.)

$1000 + the cost to fix the bike (~$1750) for a downed bike sounds like a fair dealer offer.

Old July 16th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #11
Noobman
ninjette.org member

Alright alright, I understand. It makes "sense" but damn that's expensive.

but like bruce71198 said, thankfully we have the option to do it ourselves.

Lesson learned.