ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 29th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Kerosene spray bottle

What kind of re-usable spray device can you use to lightly spray kerosene on to the chain?
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I use this blue can

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #3
spawned4562
n00b

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (The Sea Princess)

just get yourself one of these

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ombo-Pack.aspx

and a Tupperware of kerosene to dip it in. that's what i do.

you can probably find that cheap elsewhere just using that link for instance.

Old November 29th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

As mentioned earlier, WD-40 is spray-able kerosene. Also, you could dip a Grunge Brush in kerosene (no need to spray).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:05 PM   #5
Lychee
sail away

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
As mentioned earlier, WD-40 is spray-able kerosene. Also, you could dip a Grunge Brush in kerosene (no need to spray).
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawned4562 View Post
just get yourself one of these

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ombo-Pack.aspx

and a Tupperware of kerosene to dip it in. that's what i do.

you can probably find that cheap elsewhere just using that link for instance.
Isn't the plastic in tupperware damaged by the kerosene? Maybe I can try a normal spray bottle. I just don't want to come home and find melted bottle you know what I mean?
I am pretty sure WD-40 is not simply kerosene. I also have heard differing opinions of WD-40's effect on oring chains, especially when sprayed directly from the can. I also like the way my head also spins when I smell kerosene as opposed to WD-40.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 05:59 AM   #6
spawned4562
n00b

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (The Sea Princess)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
Isn't the plastic in tupperware damaged by the kerosene? Maybe I can try a normal spray bottle. I just don't want to come home and find melted bottle you know what I mean?
I am pretty sure WD-40 is not simply kerosene. I also have heard differing opinions of WD-40's effect on oring chains, especially when sprayed directly from the can. I also like the way my head also spins when I smell kerosene as opposed to WD-40.
I have had my in Tupperware for a while now and it hasn't eaten the plastic at all. You will probably end up changing out the kerosene more than you think depending on how often you clean your chain all i know is mine gets filthy quick. I think It has the odds of eating through the spray bottle just about as much as it would the Tupperware.

the reason the Tupperware method is easier is because you dont have to hold a brush and a bottle and spin your back tire all at the same time. I put my bike up on a rear stand, dip the brush in the kerosene then put it on the chain as i rotate the back tire with my other hand. do it top and bottom dipping back into the kerosene every so often to clean off crud and to apply more to the brush. then just go back with a rag and hold it around the chain while rotating the back tire to get all the kerosene off or at least as much as you can before you spray on the chain lube.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:01 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawned4562 View Post
......then just go back with a rag and hold it around the chain while rotating the back tire to get all the kerosene off.......
Always rotate the rear tire backwards while you hold a rag around the chain.

The point where rear sprocket and chain meet can do serious damage to inattentive fingers.

The attached chart explains the plastics-kerosene interaction.
However, the real difficulty is to identify the type of plastic that you have.

Glass or metal containers are safer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chemical Resistance Chart Detail.pdf (120.1 KB, 7 views)
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:00 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

The point where rear sprocket and chain meet can do serious damage to inattentive fingers.
^^^ This can never be stressed enough.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:33 AM   #9
Lychee
sail away

Quote:

thanks, this information is helpful

Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:58 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Of course it's not simply kerosene.
"WD-40 is primarily composed of various hydrocarbons."
"Kerosene, a thin, clear liquid formed from hydrocarbons"

It has propellant and mineral oils too, but the kerosene is what cleans and removes the old lube with all the gunk and then evaporates. The things you read about the effects of WD-40 on O-Rings are talking about the effects of using it as a lube and not as a cleanser. It was done because a lot of people thought it was useful as a lube. We know better. We're talking about using it in place of kerosene in a spray bottle. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. We still intend to apply chain lube after cleaning.

Quote:

The direction you turn the tire all depends on which part of the chain's route you are cleaning from (top or bottom).

Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Lychee
sail away

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Of course it's not simply kerosene.
"WD-40 is primarily composed of various hydrocarbons."
"Kerosene, a thin, clear liquid formed from hydrocarbons"

It has propellant and mineral oils too, but the kerosene is what cleans and removes the old lube with all the gunk and then evaporates. The things you read about the effects of WD-40 on O-Rings are talking about the effects of using it as a lube and not as a cleanser. It was done because a lot of people thought it was useful as a lube. We know better. We're talking about using it in place of kerosene in a spray bottle. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. We still intend to apply chain lube after cleaning.

The direction you turn the tire all depends on which part of the chain's route you are cleaning from (top or bottom).
Good to know. So, do you spray on the wd-40 directly on the chain or to a rag first? I have read that it will displace the permanent lubricant behind the orings when applied with any sort of pressure. I suppose control of the trigger finger could help. Or I can eliminate the possibility and stick to the kerosene and rag method I have been using.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 01:26 PM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Good to know. So, do you spray on the wd-40 directly on the chain or to a rag first? I have read that it will displace the permanent lubricant behind the orings when applied with any sort of pressure. I suppose control of the trigger finger could help. Or I can eliminate the possibility and stick to the kerosene and rag method I have been using.
By the time it leaves the nozzle and travels an inch or two the pressure is negligible (falling speed). I'd imagine it's just as easy to penetrate the seal with kerosene and a grunge brush, but contamination isn't really a concern because the sealed lubricant is along the entire pin and not just around the tip with the O-ring. A little contamination at the rings can't displace/flush out all that. After applying chain lube it will seal the outside of the rings and hold dirt away while the sealed lubricant inside redistributes itself. The kerosene evaporates and the designer lube should be just as effective as ever even if the small amount of mineral oil isn't (you will have wiped most of that off before applying lube anyway).