ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old May 24th, 2016, 01:42 PM   #1
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
My first track day

So I finally got to have my first track day. It had a lot of ups and downs, so here's my summary and a video will be forthcoming.

Things started the day before with bike prep. Chain cleaning and lubrication, swapping from my street wheels to my race set, realigning the rear and setting chain tension, a nice thorough bath, swapping the mirrors for block off plates and finally loading up the Kendon trailer. It was getting dark and my garage lamp needs new bulbs so I decided to call it quits and finish the last few things in the morning (namely disconnecting lights and taping everything up). While not terribly stressed or anything, I had a lot of trouble getting to sleep and was running a bit low in the morning. Still, bright and early I left just before dawn.

When I got to the track I found my first problem. After my bike theft I had the repairs done by a shop (insurance prefers that). It appears they used SAE allen wrenches on my aftermarket purple bolts. This meant quite a few were stripped to the point my metric hex keys wouldn't bite. This made getting the side panel off more than a bit complicated in order to get into the fuse box. Still, with a bit of persistence I was able to get that done (and will be promptly replacing those bolts ASAP). I taped everything up and got through tech inspection just fine.

The other unfortunate event was when I got ready to gear up I found my race suit was more than a little tight. I put on some weight over the winter from eating horrendously and being more inactive than usual and the suit would not cooperate and zip up. Thankfully, I had anticipated that might be the case and brought my two piece gear to cover that eventuality (also: I am putting myself back on my old diet).

The experience also gave me a ton of respect for California Superbike School. You don't realize how smoothly that runs until you're at a track day. First, they announced session changes via a hand held air horn. If you weren't garaged near the start/finish line it was very easy to miss the sound while geared up with ear plugs. I was late to both the first and second session due to this (I learned my lesson after this and started parking myself close enough to watch track control for session changes).

I also took the add on 'class' they offered, considering it was my first regular track day. I found it a bit disappointing, the lectures were very high level and we were instructed to, roughly, 'follow your coach and take their line' which is a fine technique for some things but makes it hard to focus on things like finding your own reference points. Still, there was value in that I got some specific feedback and comments from the coaches after the sessions which was encouraging (I was told at one point my lines were excellent, which made me feel pretty good). I'll definitely take Misti any day and am looking forward to riding with her again this July.

Now as for the actual track time: For the first session things started off a bit rough. I was re-familiarizing myself with the track and taking things pretty easy. I was surprised at how much the 'missing' CSS turn markers were throwing me off and I started being way more intent on finding my own reference points. This made following the coach who came in front of me and signaled to follow a rather distracting affair.

The second session I never got a coach, but this actually worked out in my favor as it let me finalize my reference points and establish my own lines. I started getting comfortable and fell into a nice rhythm. After the session a coach gave me one suggestion (to straighten out a section by blending some turns together) and I took it into account for my next go around.

Session three was pretty fun, and the video is posted below. When I finished I had the aforementioned compliment on my lines and I was pretty happy with it as having gotten myself on a solid start for the year. There are still a few bad habits I knew I was falling into. I'm not getting my toes on the pegs as often as I should, which is hurting both my clearance and my body positioning. I'm a bit too timid around a few corners (11 in particular) resulting in slowing too much and ending up with boatloads of unused track. I'm trying to slowly work my speed up to teach myself the right entry speed without getting in over my head.

Unfortunately things started raining at this point and after debating back and forth decided to pack in early; both riders parked next to me were leaving and I have a season pass so there's plenty of time left in the season.

Other lessons learned:
  • I forgot I kept my Hero4 case in my tailbag, which went MIA after the theft. This resulted in having no way to mount it. DOH! I've ordered a replacement.
  • I didn't test my mirror plate camera mount. The video was all at a significant tilt angle. I noticed this after attaching the Hero3 but didn't have the GoPro connection parts to try and correct it.
  • I put a Contour Rotating-Flat-Mount on my swingarm and put one of my Contour+2s on that. The internal rotating mechanism fell off twice, thankfully both times in the pits and not the track. I'm going to get this mount off and replace it with a profile mount which should be more stable.
  • I didn't bring any track map printouts with me, nor was I setting specific goals for each session. This mostly worked out (reference points for the first two in particular) but was definitely a mistake.

Lastly, I realized that with my season pass and other track days that I'm going to the track at least every 2 weeks this summer. This puts me in a weird position -- do I swap back to my other set of wheels (with street tires?) and then swap back again before the track? That's a lot of work to do that frequently. On the other hand, not doing that means either putting commute miles on my track tires or not riding outside the track.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.

Old May 24th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #2
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Track Days are very addictive.
Sounds like you had a great time.

Old May 24th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #3
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Get a second set of wheels!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 24th, 2016, 08:16 PM   #4
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Already done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
...swapping from my street wheels to my race set

@Yakaru, Sounds like ya had a blast and the track-rat "hooks" have set deep.
Looking forward to hearing more good fun reports

Old May 24th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #5
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
As Momaru put it, already done. It speeds things up, sure, but it still involves:
  • Put bike on stand
  • remove cotter pins and toss in the trash
  • Undo bolt on rear
  • Remove rear wheel
  • Remove sprocket and reseat in the other set
  • Replace brake pads with set that matches
  • Place wheel back in alignment and push through freshly greased rod.
  • Align and set chain tension
  • Replace front wheel, including brake pads, as above.
  • Re-cotter pin both wheels
That's a lot to do, especially without help.

Old May 24th, 2016, 08:48 PM   #6
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Obviously; you need three bikes! One for street, one for dry track and one for wet track!

I don't know anyone that swaps pads for track days or novice/intermediate racing! Though it doesn't take long, it does add to the list!

I do have a sprocket (and disks) on my rain wheels which simplifies things a bit.

I assume you're not changing your street tires for track days. A good DOT Perelli or what have you is more than adequate in your early days at the track. Most peeps use the bottom of the tread on the street and the sides on the track! No need to swap!

And yes; Misti is awesome!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #7
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
I have different rotors for track and street, so I use different pads so that I don't mix beddings.

Old May 24th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #8
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
And video! Thanks for your patience

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old May 25th, 2016, 04:45 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Nicely done! Really like the swing arm mount POV. I've put a mount on my swing arm to get the same shot (same mount -- the rotating Contour one). I safetied the mount to the arm, and will do the same with my camera. Have yet to try it. We'll see how well it works.

Reading this, it seems the biggest lesson learned is to leave enough time to be ready (REALLY ready) before you leave for the track. That bit about getting to the fuses all by itself would have saved you a hell of a lot of angst.

I'm as guilty as anyone of procrastinating, of course....

As a pilot, I'm a big believer in checklists. So I made one for track days. Repeatable, easy to follow, and once a step is complete it's done. It includes bike prep, transport prep, and a thorough packing list.

Two years into track riding, I encounter stuff I would have forgotten without it, every single time.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2016, 08:37 AM   #10
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
I haven't read the post yet, but I'm too excited not to reply. Welcome to the addiction!

Edit After reading: I've had roughly the same experience with trackday schools. I usually sit in anyway if it's free, and in doing so I also noticed that there is quite a bit of variation depending on which coach(es) are assigned that day. Track maps also seem like the sort of thing that any sensible school would include, but that's also hit or miss.

I'm definitely with you on the second set of wheels/rotors/sprockets/pads issue. If it's worth having spare wheels, it's worth the time spent swapping them in my opinion. Convenience items like captive spacers and pull cups suddenly seem like a useful investment.

I also sort of expect to forget something each trip. This past weekend I
  • Bought food and water
  • Charged cameras, ensured SD cards were empty
  • Neglected to pack water, food, or cameras that I had so diligently prepped

Last futzed with by toEleven; May 25th, 2016 at 10:09 AM.
toEleven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2016, 11:25 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome to track life Yakaru!

CSS will spoil you aye? They put on an amazing program, I know. But like I posted before, at some point even Misti from CSS will want you to spread your wings and fly on your own. Every good teacher finds the ultimate satisfaction in watching or knowing their student can apply what they have learned on their own.

Which leads me to your post...

Don't be hard too on yourself. Did you have fun? Did you learn something new or gain confidence in yourself? Because in the end that is ALL that really matters. Do the "track" enough times and soon or later, you will have "one of those days." Go again, have faith in yourself out of the gate, put extra effort into making some paddock friends and I promise it will be better. Track days are truly what you what you make it. Nothing more, nothing less.

ps: bummer about the rain, but you know I truly believe that everyone should do a rainy track day for the education point of view.

pps: More on rainy track days. When you venture out to do your first sets of track days, try to make them dry ones. To solidify your "footing" and come to terms with the flexibility of what happens on a track day. After that, then venture into "less than" optimal surface conditions. What you learn that wet day is nearly 100% applicable to your street miles.

ppps: I liked your video, and you "called the ball" very well.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #12
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
ps: bummer about the rain, but you know I truly believe that everyone should do a rainy track day for the education point of view.
Bonus: if they're as unpopular in your locality as they are in mine, bad weather means more laps and clearer track

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 25th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #13
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Welcome to track life Yakaru!

CSS will spoil you aye? They put on an amazing program, I know. But like I posted before, at some point even Misti from CSS will want you to spread your wings and fly on your own. Every good teacher finds the ultimate satisfaction in watching or knowing their student can apply what they have learned on their own.
I'm doing my best to do Misti proud this summer I hope she'll be pleased with my progress this July.

Quote:
Which leads me to your post...

Don't be hard too on yourself. Did you have fun? Did you learn something new or gain confidence in yourself? Because in the end that is ALL that really matters. Do the "track" enough times and soon or later, you will have "one of those days." Go again, have faith in yourself out of the gate, put extra effort into making some paddock friends and I promise it will be better. Track days are truly what you what you make it. Nothing more, nothing less.
Was fun, but would've been more fun with a friend (Momaru, EternalNewb, or the significant other). I learned a little, especially about planning my own lines. Will definitely be better prepared next time.

Quote:

pps: More on rainy track days. When you venture out to do your first sets of track days, try to make them dry ones. To solidify your "footing" and come to terms with the flexibility of what happens on a track day. After that, then venture into "less than" optimal surface conditions. What you learn that wet day is nearly 100% applicable to your street miles.

ppps: I liked your video, and you "called the ball" very well.

Yep, I definitely might stay on a future wet day but I was bowing to the experience of those wiser than me for my first. I don't know what you mean by 'calling the ball' but it sounds good so I'll take the compliment! :P

Old May 26th, 2016, 05:05 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Sorry,

slang
called the ball = came to a decision about your video

In plain english
You have reviewed your video and came to many good conclusions.

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #15
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Whats the background there? I hear 'call the ball' and picture landing a jet on an aircraft carrier...and I can't come up with any logical path from there to the moto definition.

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:11 PM   #16
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
Whats the background there? I hear 'call the ball' and picture landing a jet on an aircraft carrier...and I can't come up with any logical path from there to the moto definition.
baseball...

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 26th, 2016, 12:14 PM   #17
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Interesting! I assumed it was calling the ball landing on an aircraft carrier.
In other words; I thought Chris was complimenting her lines etc
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:15 PM   #18
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Oh. Baseball. I guess that's more normal than anything I would've considered.

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:18 PM   #19
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

that's where I relate that phrase to, however @csmith12 could be getting it from else where.

Spoiler for topic:

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:23 PM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Hmmm, must be a KY thing then. We use it as a saying as a way to confirm that our hindsight, perception or prediction was accurate.

Example: Little Johnny is up to bat with 3 balls and 2 strikes, he can pretty much call the ball now that the next pitch is coming over that plate.

Example 2: Look at that drunk guy, he is going to fall out off that truck. /guy falls... Yep, you sure called the ball on that one.

Yakaru has reviewed her video and already found things she did well and things she wasn't happy with. Liking that review, I figger she called the ball real good an all...

Sorry, I thought the context would have explained my use of redneckanese. lol

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:28 PM   #21
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
Hmmm, must be a KY thing then. We use it as a saying as a way to confirm that our hindsight, perception or prediction was accurate.

Example: Little Johnny is up to bat with 3 balls and 2 strikes, he can pretty much call the ball now that the next pitch is coming over that plate.

Example 2: Look at that drunk guy, he is going to fall out off that truck. /guy falls... Yep, you sure called the ball on that one.

Yakaru has reviewed her video and already found things she did well and things she wasn't happy with. Liking that review, I figger she called the ball real good an all...

Sorry, I thought the context would have explained my use of redneckanese. lol
Use to just saying "called it", but baseball is where it originated in.

Spoiler for topic:

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:34 PM   #22
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
I think she's "on the ball"
In other words; perceptive.

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:36 PM   #23
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
I think she's "on the ball"
In other words; perceptive.
You need to get "Balls" out of your mouth lol

Spoiler for topic:

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #24
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
You need to get "Balls" out of your mouth lol
Note my clarification for those readers with balls on the brain

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #25
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Again: interesting; the number of regional or professional variations of an expression with similar meanings.

Back on topic and the intent of my post; her experiences & learning from CSS are exactly why I hold that school & their coaches in such high regard.

Old May 27th, 2016, 03:27 PM   #26
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

The downhill zig zag is pretty cool. Reminds me of Laguna Seca.

Are you apexing right turns much closer than lefts or is it the camera?

I bring a small clock now to tell when my run group is up. It's usually the same minutes on the hour.

Last futzed with by algs26; May 28th, 2016 at 12:28 AM. Reason: D*mn autocorrect
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2016, 10:52 PM   #27
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
The downhill zig zag is pretty cool. Reminds me of Laguna Secs.

Are you apexing right turns much closer than lefts or is it the camera?

I bring a small clock now to tell when my run group is up. It's usually the same minutes on the hour.
Heh, yeah 13-15 is my favorite part of the track. Really drills home the importance of the roll on when you do it right. I don't think my apexes are that different but I'll try to pay attention to that next time if I have some time. I should also have some cameras on the other side next time as well, which will help.

Old June 14th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #28
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
I'm doing my best to do Misti proud this summer I hope she'll be pleased with my progress this July.
I'm already proud of the fact that you take such careful consideration of what you learn at CSS and work hard on applying it while at track days. Many students leave and promptly forget what they worked on and go back to bad habits but it is obvious that you are steadily working on building a good foundation of proper technique and that in itself makes me a proud coach

Keep up the good work! I'll watch the videos tonight and let you know if I have further suggestions.

As always, feel free to hit me up with specific questions!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote