downshift some gears then coast in neutral 12 19.05%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #1
azn370z
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Ninja

Braking for a stop sign

When you want to make a complete stop at a stop sign do you downshift through all the gears or downshift a few gears then coast in with the clutch pulled in?

Last futzed with by azn370z; March 11th, 2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: I originally said neutral, I meant clutch in.
azn370z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Bad form to coast in neutral for any length of time. You don't have to engage each gear on the way down, though. If you're in fourth, you can decide to downshift directly to second, or even first if you're going slow enough by keeping the clutch lever pulled in while you tap down multiple gears before letting the lever back out again.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
You can do either way.

This is what I do: Downshift as the speed of the bike decreases all the way to first and zero speed.
I do clutch out after engaging each gear and use some engine braking, but that is not really necessary.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #4
C L
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2014 300

Is it bad to coast but stay in a gear thats appropriate for the speed I'm going?
Like shifting down as I get slower and slower
C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

"Bad" is relative. If you're in an appropriate gear with the clutch lever out, a rider is able to take quicker action if the need arises. Sudden acceleration means you roll on the throttle to go *now*, rather than needing to let the clutch out and hope that you're in the right gear. Being in neutral or in an inappropriate gear for the current road speed just limits ones' options if something unexpected happens (that garbage truck bearing down on you from behind, that red light runner which you need to accelerate/swerve past, etc.). 99% of the time, there's probably no safety difference by coasting without a care. It's that 1% that gets you, though, that makes it worth it to practice the right way as much as possible.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #6
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Try to always be in gear... neutral, is pointless. I feel like it's really only there to roll the bike around and do maintenance.

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #7
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

If I am coming up on a red light, I usually downshift and use engine braking a bit to help slow down. If a light changes in front of me or for some other reason I need to slow down more quickly, I tend to brake with the clutch in, but I will downshift as appropriate to stay in the right gear.

Sometimes I'll do kind of what Alex said, and I'll downshift a few gears and run in 3rd or whatever for a little bit, then finish slowing down. This is mostly when I slow down a little too quickly and need to burn off some of the room between me and the light.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I'll double down shift and use the extra engine breaking to slow me down slowly releasing engaging clutch while braking.

So i'm never coasting in neutral, and I don't go through all the gears, mystery option 3!
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #9
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Thinking about it now, I hate neutral. Always manage to hit it randomly... especially during drifts on my dirt bikes.

Old March 11th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
neutral is for when you are walking the bike around in a garage. not for when the bike is on.

even mechanically speaking, neutral on a dog box is what i would call a hack. not something for general consumption.

Old March 11th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #11
azn370z
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Ninja

Sorry for the confusion I meant clutch lever pulled and coasting in 1st gear before I come to to a stop.
azn370z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Neutural to me is what my bike is in when I turn her on, turn her off, or fancy a stretch at a trafic light.

Although I feel the real question is about a disengaged clutch rather than neutural, for all intent and purpose the same thing.

Old March 11th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Neutural to me is what my bike is in when I turn her on, turn her off, or fancy a stretch at a trafic light.

Although I feel the real question is about a disengaged clutch rather than neutural, for all intent and purpose the same thing.
its better to park it in gear. its like a parking brake. if its in neutral its much easier for it to shift and tip itself over.

Old March 11th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #14
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

You can clutch in & drop a couple of gears as you brake, keeping a reasonable gear to clutch out & roll on, neutral is not for a stop sign.

(personally I use it at traffic lights where I know the sequence, there is a get ready light & I have something substantial enough behind me to prevent any idiot from running into the back of me. 99% of cages here are stick shift too - do so at your own discretion)

You're riding a twin, use engine braking
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #15
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

depends...i usually do just downshift through the gears..but i also find myself (if im in 2nd) to just use the brake, while braking downshift into first right when im about to stop then just chill in first until its my turn.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #16
S1att3r
ninjette.org member

Name: Raygan

Motorcycle(s): White 2013 Ninja 300(Storm), Silver 2003 Fjr1300

I believe neutral is on the bike just to piss me off and make me feel stupid when I don't give a firm enough up shift so I pop it into neutral and rev it to 10k before I realize what happened.
S1att3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #17
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

I blip through the gears when slowing and coming to a stop.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #18
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

Generally, I'll downshift through all the gears, but I'll skip first gear. I find that I need to give it too big of a blip. Second gear engine braking seems to bring the bike down to a pretty low enough speed.
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #19
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
its better to park it in gear. its like a parking brake. if its in neutral its much easier for it to shift and tip itself over.
I park my bike while at work in a public car park in the bike section, it's common practise to leave your bike in neutral so that if somebody gets blocked in by bad parking or if a their is a big gap either side of your bike but not enough for anybody to park in, somebody can move your bike a little bit to get theres in or out.

Old March 12th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Seems like one would only be comfortable with another motorcyclist moving the bike (though even that would worry me), so wouldn't they be able to pop it into neutral if needed?

Old March 12th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #21
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
If someone moved my bike I'd be super pissed. Going to raise hell. I don't like it when people touch things that are mine. If your car was parked poorly, would I move it for you? I guess we were raised differently.

Old March 12th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #22
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
If someone moved my bike I'd be super pissed. Going to raise hell. I don't like it when people touch things that are mine. If your car was parked poorly, would I move it for you? I guess we were raised differently.
Happens a bit more here, you see cops where I'm from do the same with their cars double parked out in front of the station, handbrake off & they can roll it out of the way.

I don't really mind if it's a proper biker that moves my bike, scooter riders doing it pisses me right off.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you don't touch/move someone else's bike. that's just disrespectful.

Old March 12th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #24
Dirty Mike
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Depends on the speed for me. In neighborhood riding I'll downshift to second and ride that gear almost to a stop maybe 5 or 6 mph before clutching in and downshifting to first while braking fully. Higher speeds ill coast in 4th then 2nd then follow same principle as I said before. Engine braking is key to badassery

Old March 13th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #25
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
i coast with the clutch lever pulled.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #26
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You can do either way.

This is what I do: Downshift as the speed of the bike decreases all the way to first and zero speed.
I do clutch out after engaging each gear and use some engine braking, but that is not really necessary.
This is how I do it also, but I will engage each gear on the way down. I try to rev match into 1st whenever I can, but sometimes I'll just take second all the way down and then from ~15mph, clutch in and brake to a stop, then downshift to first.

Quote:
I park my bike while at work in a public car park in the bike section, it's common practise to leave your bike in neutral so that if somebody gets blocked in by bad parking or if a their is a big gap either side of your bike but not enough for anybody to park in, somebody can move your bike a little bit to get theres in or out.
Oh HELL no! If I'm in a public parking space, I will park at an angle in the rear half of the space so that no one swings in quickly (thinking it is empty).

Old March 13th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Oh HELL no!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #28
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

You may have me mistaken, if I were to park in a carpark car space I would park at the rear on an angle with my tail sticking out, but I am talking about the bike section, which is usually a 50 ft by 20ft square where you can park where you like, usually people do this in two rows with a channel in the middle to ride out from, but if it gets full and you can't get out you need to move someones bike back or forward to do so, so it's considered curtious to leave your bike in neutural without stearing lock.

Did you know in italy and some places in france while parking it's common practise to leave your car in neutural with your wheels facing forward, so if someone needs to get inbetween you and another car and you have a gap behind / infront of you, they will push your car with their bumper "drive into your car", if you ask them they why or get pissy they will say "well, that's what the bumpers are for?"

Old March 13th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #29
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn370z View Post
Sorry for the confusion I meant clutch lever pulled and coasting in 1st gear before I come to to a stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
You can clutch in & drop a couple of gears as you brake, keeping a reasonable gear to clutch out & roll on, neutral is not for a stop sign.
I do this often enough. I never put it in neutral and just coast, but sometimes I'll just engage the clutch and downshift through the range as I slow down.
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #30
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Quote:
You may have me mistaken, if I were to park in a carpark car space I would park at the rear on an angle with my tail sticking out, but I am talking about the bike section, which is usually a 50 ft by 20ft square where you can park where you like, usually people do this in two rows with a channel in the middle to ride out from, but if it gets full and you can't get out you need to move someones bike back or forward to do so, so it's considered curtious to leave your bike in neutural without stearing lock.

Did you know in italy and some places in france while parking it's common practise to leave your car in neutural with your wheels facing forward, so if someone needs to get inbetween you and another car and you have a gap behind / infront of you, they will push your car with their bumper "drive into your car", if you ask them they why or get pissy they will say "well, that's what the bumpers are for?"
TIL: I could never live in Ireland, France or Italy.

I didn't realize you were talking about an actual motorcycle parking area. That would still seems awkward to me (moving someone else's bike), but I DO wish we had much more motorcycle parking areas in the US.

Old March 15th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #31
Lancaster
Bracing for Impact

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Mike View Post
Depends on the speed for me. In neighborhood riding I'll downshift to second and ride that gear almost to a stop maybe 5 or 6 mph before clutching in and downshifting to first while braking fully. Higher speeds ill coast in 4th then 2nd then follow same principle as I said before. Engine braking is key to badassery
same for me
Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #32
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
I don't like people touching my bike. It seems rude to me. On the other hand, if I were parked in a parking area as you describe and I parked my bike in a way that the only option for his egress was for the person I was blocking to move my bike, I wouldn't mind at all if he moved my bike. I would just mind very much if it was dropped.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote