ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 4th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #1
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki 250R, 2008 Genuine Buddy 50

Stuck in Neutral

I encountered this problem a couple of times while dinking around with the bike in the neighborhood. Twice, I've come to a stop and shifted down from 2nd to first but instead landed in Neutral. When I tried to shift it into first it wouldn't go. Wouldn't click into a gear whether I indexed the shifter down or up. Fortunately both times I was at my destination so I turned out okay (first time was at the gas station, second was when I got back home).

I RTFM and didn't find anything that indicated what it might be. Kickstand was up in both cases and I was standing still. Since I'm pretty sure my bike isn't psychic does anyone have any idea what I'm missing? I'd hate for this to happen at a stoplight while I'm riding around for real. I figure I have one for sure day where I can try to replicate the error but after that I may have to wait until the spring thaw.

Ninjette forum gods, go.
ninjabadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #2
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6

If I understand you correctly, you're saying you shifted to neutral unintentionally at a stop and then it wouldn't click into first? If that is the case, these bikes have a hard time getting into first gear at a dead stop. You'll want to either shift to first as you're slowing down or roll the bike a bit once it's stopped to get it to click down into first. Hope that helps.
ARF07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #3
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

That's right.

I didn't think it was something as simple as that as I tried rolling it a few inches in case it was a synchronization issue but it didn't help. I thought then there might be some kind of electric cutout voodoo like how it won't let you shift past neutral under the right combination of variables. Maybe I just needed to push it farther. I'll try to fark it up again on Sunday and see if that's the problem. Any other ideas for possible culprits? If it's just what you're suggesting I'll be happy.

Old December 5th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #4
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6

Yeah it is a pretty simple solution, so it's a good place to start. I haven't read too much about bikes giving people problems outside of that. I got stuck at a light once because I was in neutral and it can take a good roll sometimes. Here are a couple threads where some other people were having similar problems. May be more to it than that, but I hope not

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24043

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21288
ARF07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #5
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Yeah, I skimmed through those threads and didn't see anything that seemed to be the same as the problem I was having. It shifts fine otherwise just wouldn't find first at a stop. Sounds like I'm just encountering a newbie problem. Hopefully I just need to become more familiar with the little peculiarities of my bike.

Old December 5th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #6
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Like it was mentioned sometimes, the bike has trouble going from second to first or neutral to first at a stop. It's normal for bike.

Simple solution when it happens. Roll the bike slightly frontward/backwards and/or rev the engine slightly.

Happens to me here and there. You move the parts around so that you can shift down to first. I'll see how the Semi-Synthetic oil works come spring but for the 5 minutes I rode before storage the shifts were as smooth as butter and I think it might get rid of the problem somewhat.

Back on the road again Season 2010 Dam it feels good!
250Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #7
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

ever since i dropped the bike taking it off the hitch carrier i found that when shifting down it will sometimes go in neutral instead of first even thought the neutral light does not come on, i just hit the shifter hard with my boot and it goes in first gear.

Last futzed with by BlueRaven; December 12th, 2009 at 07:36 PM.
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #8
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Sometimes you gotta roll the bike a bit. I'm not sure if your bike is broken in yet, so that may have something to do with it as well. Roll the bike back and forth and keep trying to click it into first.....it'll get in there eventually.

But if this is really bothersome and awkward at stop lights, get into the habit of downshifting into first as you coast to a stop. That's a sure fire way of keeping your butt out of trouble.

Edit: Oh and make sure you're being forceful enough with your shifts. None of this "feathering the shifter" stuff. Bang that sucker in there....
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #9
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I've had this problem from time to time as well, both with and without the "N" light coming on. I've found just releasing and squeezing the clutch and trying again usually solves it for me or, as mentioned above, rolling just a bit.

FWIW, my bike has been dropped on the right side about a year ago, is over 10,000mi broken in, and using full synthetic oil.

Old December 5th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Hershey1
ninjette.org member

Name: Sabrina

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

I too also had this problem, I don't go to much into neutral because of it. Mine had to be in the friction zone for it to shift. I sometimes would pull the clutch all the way in, would go to shift and nothing would happen. Eventually somehow I figured it out, at a stop sign. Good thing there wasnt to much traffic out, went to a parking lot played with my clutch. My clutch has to be somewhat near the friction zone for it to shift, not quite rolling but close. Thats what worked for mine anyway.
Hershey1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #11
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
You might also want to check the clutch lever free-play. It may not be pulling the cluth enough.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #12
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

Shouldn't happen if you downshift to 1st before stopping. Like others have said, if it happens just hold in the clutch, rev it lightly and roll the bike forward while kicking down on the shifter.