ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

How hard/Long of a trip would it be to go 4,000 miles on my 250?

I would have to service practically everything before the trip right?
Thinking of spending my summer going to California and riding the coast. Might do Tennessee instead and cruise east coast. Stay in a motel every few days and wash the 3 pairs of clothes that will fit on the back.

Have any of you just done a motorcycle road trip through the country?
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:05 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Paging @Jiggles and company who did this already. I think there is a thread about the trip floating about.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:23 AM   #3
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
The Cross Country Tour blog thingy is Jiggles account, though @setasai is the one who rode his 250.

The biggest PITA I have on any trip of any length is keeping the chain lubed. I think my next purchase is going to be a Scottoiler thing so I no longer have to worry about it.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Yea best option, buy a shaft drive bmw
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:13 PM   #5
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

On the stock saddle? My butt hurts just thinking about that!!

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
On the stock saddle? My butt hurts just thinking about that!!
I've made a 6 hour trip with a few decent breaks one day on the stock seat and it wasn't all that terrible! haha so maybe a corbin seat and a bottle of lube tucked in a backpack?

Old December 3rd, 2013, 03:16 PM   #7
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
How hard? Depends on you mostly. What's your longest day (length and mileage) and on what kind of roads? Your physical ability is going to determine how hard it is as your bike is more than capable of doing such a trip if you have kept up on the maintenance. Your back, shoulders, butt, and knees are going to feel the stiffness if you stay in the saddle too long.

How long? Is your goal to blast across the country or to sightsee? I think it was @adouglas that suggested around a 400 mile day (about 6 hours if locked in on 65mph). That gives you time to stretch at the gas stations and relax for meals and have the evening to spend wherever you are. So 10 days to cruise the 4,000 miles without adding in any tourist days.

If you are doing this over the course of summer you have plenty of time to just bop across the country at a very leisurely pace and enjoy.

I tend to carry chain lube, oil, tire repair and pump, spare headlights/taillight, an expanded tool kit, first aid kit, flashlight or two, WD-40, spare fuses and master link, and enough layers to cover a vast change in temperatures and conditions. Of those i have only had to use the lube, oil, spare headlight, and the master link while out on the road.

Many will advise against a backpack, i prefer it to carry two bladders of water and my ipad. If i were to load all my luggage on, I have a tank bag for snacks mostly, the tail bag with the above stuff, and saddle bags for clothes and a cooler for drinks.

Depending on how long you plan to stay on the road each day and how your route is planned out, you may not need to carry anything except some very basic repair stuff (ie flat tire) if you pass through cities or towns a lot. Or if you choose more remote roads, you may need to carry far more to be self sufficient (ie, adding some means of carrying spare fuel).

Old December 3rd, 2013, 03:26 PM   #8
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
The [URL="http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=139094"]The biggest PITA I have on any trip of any length is keeping the chain lubed. I think my next purchase is going to be a Scottoiler thing so I no longer have to worry about it.
The scottoiler on my 1000 has been nothing but great. The basic size resevoir will go 1,500 miles or so without needing to be refilled, and ive only had to adjust my chain once in 8,000 miles. It was near the max limit, didnt really NEED it but i did it anyway. Definitely well worth it if your typically doing long distance stuff, or are lazy like me.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2013, 04:50 PM   #9
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Road King

Old December 3rd, 2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Now I just need to make friends with people who are willing to make the trip! Thanks for all the help guys, it all seems like commonsense stuff. I like to carry my backpack just in case I find something at a store so I am used to that.
I`ve never heard of a scottoiler but it sounds like a pretty amazing thing. How often do you guys lube your chain anyway? I do mine every wash/500miles/2 weeks. Whichever comes first

Old December 3rd, 2013, 05:38 PM   #11
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
The scottoiler on my 1000 has been nothing but great. The basic size resevoir will go 1,500 miles or so without needing to be refilled, and ive only had to adjust my chain once in 8,000 miles. It was near the max limit, didnt really NEED it but i did it anyway. Definitely well worth it if your typically doing long distance stuff, or are lazy like me.
Wow, that scottoiler is legit. I'd get that but I'd rather lube the chain myself so I can check parts at the same time.
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2013, 05:44 PM   #12
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
If its around town, i do mine every Sunday so about every 300-400 miles depending. I do that because i have access to the rear stand and its so much easier. Roll into the garage, prop up the bike, hit it with lube, done.

On a long ride i've gotten lazy and do it every 500 miles or so when at a gas stop. Figured out how to lube the chain while parked and solo (freaking PITA). Had one guy at the shop give me advice to alternate between wd-40 and lube since i was relubing the chain every 8 hours or so and had way to much on it. Opps.

Definitely think the auto oiler is next on my shopping list...

Old December 3rd, 2013, 05:46 PM   #13
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

less time servicing and more time riding sounds better to me.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #14
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Yes, service your bike before a 4,000 mile trip (duh). No need to get drastic (i.e. valves, unless they're due) but yeah, go over the whole bike, change fluids, and satisfy yourself that the tires and brake pads will last another 4k.

Regular maintenance will come due during your trip. Don't worry about it. The bike is NOT going to spontaneously explode if you fail to change your oil after 3,000 miles, or lube the chain every 500 like clockwork, or change the brake fluid just because the service interval has come up.

Personally, I wouldn't obsess over the chain, but don't ignore it entirely. IMHO people REALLY overdo it on chain lube anyway. If you're OCD like that, then just spritz the bits you can see occasionally... eventually the whole chain will get covered. Or save yourself the hassle of carrying a can of chain lube and just buy one halfway through your trip. Lube your chain and give the can to another motorcyclist. You'll make a friend and it'll only cost you a few bucks.

Lots of threads here about touring on the Ninjette. Here's the short version, based on my experience on a 2400 mile tour (during which I did not lube the chain, BTW, and it was just fine at the end... sold the bike with 14k on it and it still had the original chain, which was within spec).

1) Stop once per hour and get off the bike, even if only for a minute (THIS IS HUGE).
2) Don't overdo it. Keep your days short... like two tanks of gas. Don't make the ride a chore.
3) Move around on the bike a lot. A LOT. Sitting in one spot hour after hour is what gives you monkey butt.
4) Avoid Interstates when you can. They're boring. Boring is fatiguing.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #15
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

A friend went from Mass to Cali on an old VTR250. He had a great time.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #16
Bones85
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Do all the maintenance but make sure you ride around locally afterwards for at least a few hundred miles or so to make sure everything is good. You don't want to find out something's wrong when you're hundreds of miles away from home.
Bones85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #17
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones85 View Post
Do all the maintenance but make sure you ride around locally afterwards for at least a few hundred miles or so to make sure everything is good. You don't want to find out something's wrong when you're hundreds of miles away from home.
You know I tried that but on our trip it was unlikely that I'd know that the desert heat would cause the system to essentially vaporize the gas in the lines and left me w/ a vaporlock. Not fun but we made it.

As for the stock seat. I had a stock seat the whole trip. It was exhausting but managable. My butt wasnt particularly happy but it made every stop we had for food or gas or snack that much more enjoyable.

In hindsight, I'd do it again if I had the time and money. I think we had a blast and the things we saw were pretty awesome. If you have the chance to set up a long trip, I'd say just do it and dont look back. Bring tools and go with at least one other person.

Old December 8th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floki View Post
How hard/Long of a trip would it be to go 4,000 miles on my 250?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote