ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old December 9th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #1
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Nice December weekend ride in MD

So I was planning on visiting a friend this weekend. ~100 miles trip one way.

Decided i would take the bike despite the good chance of light rain on both Saturday, my trip to, and Sunday my return trip. Figured i might as well get some time on the wet roads on my own terms, nothing beats a little experience right?

So my route consisted of some multi lane highways, and main roads 30-55mph 1 lane each direction, that go through some small towns here and there through the country.

The ride up was great! No rain, temp in the 50's and even 60's, the route was very nice, mixed speeds, some nice turns, knuckles and hills. I also enjoy some time on the highway getting to pick up a little more speed.

Ok so the next morning (Sunday) it had been raining light all morning and showed no signs of letting up. After breakfast it was time to bite the bullet. Geared up with my typical gear, (Alpinestar motogp jacket, scorpion, pants, gloves, boots) oh yeah of coarse a helmet. Went out to my soaking wet ninja and wiped the seat and tank down with a towel to dry it off (did not want a wet A$$ for next 2 hrs) It was a light rain which was barely noticeable if not for drops on visor and wet roads. Started up the bike, got on the move took it slow warming it up, trying to get my tires warmed up a bit as well on some residential roads on my way to the first highway section ~3 miles away from my point of departure. I decided that on the entire ride home in the rain it would be a great opportunity for me take it nice and easy and really try and pound some basic riding skills and habits into my head to hopefully get them to become second nature. Things working on mainly for me. 1) Do all my deceleration before entering the actual turn. 2) If any adjustments in the turn need to be made, do them with subtle very controlled throttle adjustments. These are things i feel i need to work on if i want to become a better and safer rider.
After warm up, got on the highway, and in the tuck things felt good, was not catching much rain, traction felt good all was well. I generally feel good on the highway so this is not one of my weak points. Next it was time to take it off the highway onto some of the standard roads. Riding was good, i was trying to stay a good distance behind traffic in front of me not just to allow for additional time for braking ect... but so that i did not catch to much water kick up. Was trying to stick in the tire lines and stay out of the center of lane (people say that is where most oil ect... lays in addition with more water there cuz no tires from cars kicking it up). Following the previous cars outside tire line was good, but needed to make sure i did not follow it onto lines and paint and try to avoid any slick surfaces whenever possible. The ride went very good for the first hour. After an hour i started to notice i could feel some moisture on my shoulders. My shoulders stick out a little more when tucked and catch more water when upright so it only made sense but it was minimal. Other than this i felt bone dry. Surprisingly my hands felt dry and not uncomfortably cold with just breathable leather riding gloves. Surprisingly my toes did start to get chilly, i had warm socks on and my boots should be water proof. however they were not overly cold just colder than expected. The entire ride home went just as planned, focusing on my turns and and execution. Had to cross several angled train tracks which were no issue. Felt comfortable on the wet roads at the speed limit and sometimes a little over There were a few roundabouts which were good practice for slowing down before entering the turn and fine throttle control through and dropping the hammer out. Made it back to Baltimore area and jumped back on some highways, luckily the rain had let up at this point which was great. This first part of highway was smooth concrete, and on the ride up it was great. On the ride back the wet concrete just felt different than i was used to at highway speeds 70mph-80mph. It felt slick, i slowed down a little from my typical highway speeds, it probably was not slick but the smoothness combined with the water just made it seem that way IDK. But once back on the black top i was able to cruise like normal and the roads were actually getting a little dry in the tire lines which was even better.

Made it home in a little over 2hrs which was expected with some red lights ect... The ninja handled the trip up and back great, never felt like it skipped a beat. Thinking i averaged around 60mpg which is good for me i tend to run the revs (why would they make them go so high if you weren't supposed to use them right? )

All in all, great weekend, warm for Dec around here, got to visit a friend, got to practice some skills, got some experience in some wet conditions and got to ride my bike and save some money on fuel while i was at it.

SUCCESS!!

Joe
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #3
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Name: KJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (Sold - I'll miss you Ebony), 2009 Honda CBR 600RR ABS (Alexis), 2010 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
So I was planning on visiting a friend this weekend. ~100 miles trip one way.

Decided i would take the bike despite the good chance of light rain on both Saturday, my trip to, and Sunday my return trip. Figured i might as well get some time on the wet roads on my own terms, nothing beats a little experience right?

So my route consisted of some multi lane highways, and main roads 30-55mph 1 lane each direction, that go through some small towns here and there through the country.

The ride up was great! No rain, temp in the 50's and even 60's, the route was very nice, mixed speeds, some nice turns, knuckles and hills. I also enjoy some time on the highway getting to pick up a little more speed.

Ok so the next morning (Sunday) it had been raining light all morning and showed no signs of letting up. After breakfast it was time to bite the bullet. Geared up with my typical gear, (Alpinestar motogp jacket, scorpion, pants, gloves, boots) oh yeah of coarse a helmet. Went out to my soaking wet ninja and wiped the seat and tank down with a towel to dry it off (did not want a wet A$$ for next 2 hrs) It was a light rain which was barely noticeable if not for drops on visor and wet roads. Started up the bike, got on the move took it slow warming it up, trying to get my tires warmed up a bit as well on some residential roads on my way to the first highway section ~3 miles away from my point of departure. I decided that on the entire ride home in the rain it would be a great opportunity for me take it nice and easy and really try and pound some basic riding skills and habits into my head to hopefully get them to become second nature. Things working on mainly for me. 1) Do all my deceleration before entering the actual turn. 2) If any adjustments in the turn need to be made, do them with subtle very controlled throttle adjustments. These are things i feel i need to work on if i want to become a better and safer rider.
After warm up, got on the highway, and in the tuck things felt good, was not catching much rain, traction felt good all was well. I generally feel good on the highway so this is not one of my weak points. Next it was time to take it off the highway onto some of the standard roads. Riding was good, i was trying to stay a good distance behind traffic in front of me not just to allow for additional time for braking ect... but so that i did not catch to much water kick up. Was trying to stick in the tire lines and stay out of the center of lane (people say that is where most oil ect... lays in addition with more water there cuz no tires from cars kicking it up). Following the previous cars outside tire line was good, but needed to make sure i did not follow it onto lines and paint and try to avoid any slick surfaces whenever possible. The ride went very good for the first hour. After an hour i started to notice i could feel some moisture on my shoulders. My shoulders stick out a little more when tucked and catch more water when upright so it only made sense but it was minimal. Other than this i felt bone dry. Surprisingly my hands felt dry and not uncomfortably cold with just breathable leather riding gloves. Surprisingly my toes did start to get chilly, i had warm socks on and my boots should be water proof. however they were not overly cold just colder than expected. The entire ride home went just as planned, focusing on my turns and and execution. Had to cross several angled train tracks which were no issue. Felt comfortable on the wet roads at the speed limit and sometimes a little over There were a few roundabouts which were good practice for slowing down before entering the turn and fine throttle control through and dropping the hammer out. Made it back to Baltimore area and jumped back on some highways, luckily the rain had let up at this point which was great. This first part of highway was smooth concrete, and on the ride up it was great. On the ride back the wet concrete just felt different than i was used to at highway speeds 70mph-80mph. It felt slick, i slowed down a little from my typical highway speeds, it probably was not slick but the smoothness combined with the water just made it seem that way IDK. But once back on the black top i was able to cruise like normal and the roads were actually getting a little dry in the tire lines which was even better.

Made it home in a little over 2hrs which was expected with some red lights ect... The ninja handled the trip up and back great, never felt like it skipped a beat. Thinking i averaged around 60mpg which is good for me i tend to run the revs (why would they make them go so high if you weren't supposed to use them right? )

All in all, great weekend, warm for Dec around here, got to visit a friend, got to practice some skills, got some experience in some wet conditions and got to ride my bike and save some money on fuel while i was at it.

SUCCESS!!

Joe
Much props to you. I can't stand riding in the rain. And I just got new tires...I realized this is the worse time to buy new tires. I have no clue how I will be breaking them in the next couple of months past 100 miles....A trip like yours might be the solution for me if we get a few more warm days in the next two weeks
hybridkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridkid View Post
Much props to you. I can't stand riding in the rain. And I just got new tires...I realized this is the worse time to buy new tires. I have no clue how I will be breaking them in the next couple of months past 100 miles....A trip like yours might be the solution for me if we get a few more warm days in the next two weeks

i don't mind a light rain, if it was pouring though.... SCREW THAT!!

Weather here in middle of Maryland has been awesome for riding the last month or so. Definitely did not think i would get as much December riding time in as i am, pleasantly surprised.

Old December 28th, 2012, 06:01 AM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Just a little something to add.

Today I road my bike to work. Haven't ridden it since last Thursday for various reasons. It was in the 50's here last week.

No work, monday, or tuesday so i stayed in most of the day. Wednesday rain/snow mix.... i took the car to work, i know I'm a p*$$ , Was expecting same yesterday so took car again...BUT TODAY!! Took the bike, 29 degrees out this morning, I actually put my liner in my jacket for a change, and used a pair of insulated work gloves that i used to ride quads, dirtbikes in freezing weather + cheap liner gloves inside them instead of my leather breathable bike gloves.

All in all, i was quite toasty, average 75-80mph all highway for the most part. Getting my chin behind the windscreen was key and once my visor acclimated to the outside temp and my breath there was no fogging effect. Definitely took my bike a little longer to warm up. Normally it is warm by the time i get to my 3rd light, before i get on highway, i took the choke off there today but still had to finesse the throttle a little to keep it from bogging.

So it was a good ride to work this morning, i did notice i feel my reaction time is slowed because of all gear especially gloves, on top of my sensitivity for clutch, brake, throttle is decreased because of slight bulkiness of gloves as well, but have to be a little more careful when riding to compensate.

My hands never got chilly, my core and legs were good even feet. The bike ran well on the highway.

When i got to work, i put my hand on tire and they felt warm, warmer than i would expect for being that cold which is good i guess.

In short, don't let the cold keep you off the steel horse, suck it up and get out there.

Old December 28th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #6
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
My commute is York to Baltimore exactly 60 miles. I took the bike to work today also. First time in a couple of weeks. If there is a 30% chance of rain I take the car, 83 and the beltway always turns into a parking lot when it rains its just to long to be sitting in the rain . I use a few more layers, work clothes, then 2 peace leather suite then one peace snow suite then a ski jacket It is harder to look around but with the reevue I get a 360 view just turning me head a little. Winter scarf makes a big difference also and I think it makes me more visibility with it flapping in the wind, the trade off for the possibility of it getting caught in a spoke or the chain if I go down and the scarf snapping my neck.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #7
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ 120 miles round trip, you are a trooper, i wouldn't ride in the rain if my commute was that far either.

Definitely sounds like you layer up, wow. I wear my work cloths, jeans, long sleeve crew shirt, or pull over with undershirt. Then riding jacket with liner, and my scorpion riding pants over my jeans. Was thinking it would be nice to have like a neck warmer today but like i said, once i got moving and behind the wind screen my neck and chin were fine....today anyway.

You covered the pros and cons of riding with a scarf quite nicely

Do you go west on beltway or east when coming to work? I have ridden the west side of the beltway a little bit, some lanes are a mess as far as condition is concerned, not a big fan.

Old December 28th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #8
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
^ 120 miles round trip, you are a trooper, i wouldn't ride in the rain if my commute was that far either.
8-10 dollars a day more to go by car so I am highly motivated to ride.

Quote:
Do you go west on beltway or east when coming to work? I have ridden the west side of the beltway a little bit, some lanes are a mess as far as condition is concerned, not a big fan.
Work is between Liberty and Security LOL

Old December 28th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #9
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
8-10 dollars a day more to go by car so I am highly motivated to ride.

Work is between Liberty and Security LOL
I hear ya with saving money on gas, i only commute 40 miles round trip and that is still enough motivation for me to take the bike as much as i can....hence i road it today.

It is probably a significant bit colder up in York as well, you are on highway for huge stretch as well, so no lights to stop at and warm up your hands on exhaust. My hands are the only thing that tends to get chilly but, with a few red lights for me on the way gives me a chance to keep them toasty, wish i had a dual side exhaust, would be easier to warm up my left hand

Old December 28th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #10
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
My hands are the only thing that tends to get chilly
Me also but feeling in your fingers is overrated. I layer up enough that if my speed drops below 30 mph my hands warm back up. Keeping your head & core warm goes a long way towards keeping your extremities warm.

Old December 30th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #11
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Name: KJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (Sold - I'll miss you Ebony), 2009 Honda CBR 600RR ABS (Alexis), 2010 BMW S1000RR

I'm about to go out right now....I use a warming vest with heatpax warmers but haven't found a solution for my gloves yet. My pants have knee protectors so I'm usually ok. I do need a baclave though....would prevent a lot of the issues with sniffling post ride.
hybridkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #12
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
I just got back from a short ride to fill up and pick up dinner. Best thing I found so far is a pair of winter work gloves I found at BJ's $18. I went through a few gloves and more then a few dollars but now I am happy.

Old December 31st, 2012, 08:36 AM   #13
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I just got back from a short ride to fill up and pick up dinner. Best thing I found so far is a pair of winter work gloves I found at BJ's $18. I went through a few gloves and more then a few dollars but now I am happy.
Thats pretty much where i am at with cold weather gloves. Like i said earlier, i found a decent pair of insulated work gloves at walmart for like 12 bucks. They by themselves are quite warm, but are also just large enough i can put on a thinner cheapo glove and use it as a liner, then these work gloves over top of that if my hands get to cold. But so far have not needed the liners.

My helmet was fogging up pretty bad today on way to work. Normally i control my breathing enough to help prevent it but today nothing seemed to work, even at highway speed i wasn't getting enough airflow to fully combat the fog, so it was terrible at low speeds.

Old December 31st, 2012, 08:56 AM   #14
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
My helmet was fogging up pretty bad today on way to work.
I have a anti-fog front shield and it works great. The back view will fog up unless I am doing 60 mph or so. Took the car today

Old January 9th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #15
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
It is now January, but still relevant.

So much for 10% chance of prec today. It is raining now and the weather shows sunny 0% chance of rain... ehhh. It's about time for me to leave work, was planning on doing some things before i go home but not sure if i should just go home and not give the wet roads a chance to freeze as i would be out till 9pm ish. Weather check shows temps to stay high till later tonight but they also said it wasn't supposed to rain. Decisions decisions.

Old January 11th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #16
LiquidShell
ninjette.org member

Name: Shell

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 -

@subxero, is your jacket a water-resistant.?

Old January 11th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #17
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidShell View Post
@subxero, is your jacket a water-resistant.?
No, the water beads off fairly well though. It is only a problem when it is down pour which i try to avoid and or super long trips in light to mild rain.

being wet doesn't bother me, i have been conditioned to ignore being wet, i just don't like dealing with slick surfaces especially when it gets cold at night right now.

All in all, Wednesday went great. Rain must have been fairly localized and light. Tire track area was fairly dry, and by the end of the night roads were mostly dry. Turned out to be a good night.

Old January 24th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #18
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Saw a bike today at the climbing gym. Guy is either a die hard or an idiot....or both.

In this area of MD we don't get much snow but... what we do have is the perfect recipe for ice. Below freezing at night, get light snow, above freezing during the day melts everything then back below freezing late in afternoon early evening. Ice everywhere today won't catch me out there right now.