ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 1st, 2012, 05:56 AM   #1
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Long trip ahead

Any special maintenance issues to consider for long road trips? I'm going to Florida on the bike later this month with a friend. The trip is about 550 miles one way. I know the standard TCLOCKS check list but didn't know if there are other considerations for 10 hours of almost constant operation. My bike has about 2500 miles on it and a fresh oil change with Rotella T6. I need to check the coolant and brake / clutch fluid levels.

My warranty is about to expire before the trip too. I was thinking about adding the 2-year GTPP just in case for one reason only. I was leaving work on Wednesday afternoon and saw a customer who looked like she needed help in the store. Her reply was "Sure, if you can tell me where the nearest Harley dealership is". Turns out she and her mom were riding cross country from Las Vegas and her new bike had a CEL. I led them to the Harley dealer, talked for a bit, and then parted ways. Point being, I'd hate to be hundreds of miles from home and picking up the tab for something that could've been covered under warranty. Is that paranoia or a legitimate concern?
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2012, 06:34 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Mostly paranoia my friend.

1100 miles should be no sweat assuming everything is in order before the ride starts. But for rides that take me a distance and away from my normal support system. I do a bit extra. For example, there is a DIY 600mile service checklist linked somewhere on this site. I do a scaled down version of that.

Visual/feel check the following;
Brake, clutch and throttle cables
Brakes
All lights
Shifter linkage and bolt
Chain slack
Coolant level
Licence plate bolts
Any Leaks?
Now is the time to address anything else on your bike that might worry you along the way

If weather is a factor (which it will, being an old FL man myself), proper gear for that. It's most likely the trip is going to be harder on the rider than the bike.

AAA is a safer bet than an extended warranty for your trip. If you want the kawi warranty, get it for the cost coverage not trip coverage.

Enjoy the trip and safe travels! Oh! Take a camera and get a few shots along the way.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2012, 06:54 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Yes, Florida weather is going to be hard on you guys: heat, humidity and afternoon thunderstorms.

I would take extra motor oil, chain lubricant (keep an eye on those two during the trip), tire repair means and Gatorade.

Also some clean rags and water to clean the visor of the helmet (bugs, cars splash, etc.) and sunscreen (for wrists and neck?).

Flashlight, knife, soft wire and duct tape are universal tools.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2012, 07:57 AM   #4
Kygirl
ninjette.org member

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250R 1979 SuzukiGS425E

Just took a similar length trip and the only mechanical adjustments I had to make were a clutch cable adjustment and drive chain tension. I would recommend you take/make sure your tool kit has wrenches to adjust chain slack (12mm and 14mm I think?) as it loosens. Sounds like it will be a good trip! Have fun!
Kygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2012, 08:01 AM   #5
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Name: justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250r

Tank bag helped me out on my trip so much(rest on it). And many many short breaks. I'd also make sure you have a rain suite and all year gear in water proof bags. Warenty should not be needed IMO but for peace of mind might not be a bad idea. Have fun tons of pictures be safe.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:19 PM   #6
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kygirl View Post
Just took a similar length trip and the only mechanical adjustments I had to make were a clutch cable adjustment and drive chain tension. I would recommend you take/make sure your tool kit has wrenches to adjust chain slack (12mm and 14mm I think?) as it loosens. Sounds like it will be a good trip! Have fun!
Thanks! I was planning on looking over the bike and fasteners tomorrow to see what I may have to bring with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Yes, Florida weather is going to be hard on you guys: heat, humidity and afternoon thunderstorms.

I would take extra motor oil, chain lubricant (keep an eye on those two during the trip), tire repair means and Gatorade.

Also some clean rags and water to clean the visor of the helmet (bugs, cars splash, etc.) and sunscreen (for wrists and neck?).

Flashlight, knife, soft wire and duct tape are universal tools.
I haven't noticed my bike using any oil yet. Picked up a smaller can of Maxima Chain Wax this evening. I'm no stranger to the heat. Arkansas is worse than Florida much of the time. The Gulf coast wins on the afternoon thundershowers though. I ordered some rain gear from RevZilla this afternoon. I'm going to grab one of my microfiber towels for face shield duty. I also have a clear shield to swap out for evening time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Mostly paranoia my friend.

1100 miles should be no sweat assuming everything is in order before the ride starts. But for rides that take me a distance and away from my normal support system. I do a bit extra. For example, there is a DIY 600mile service checklist linked somewhere on this site. I do a scaled down version of that.

Visual/feel check the following;
Brake, clutch and throttle cables
Brakes
All lights
Shifter linkage and bolt
Chain slack
Coolant level
Licence plate bolts
Any Leaks?
Now is the time to address anything else on your bike that might worry you along the way

If weather is a factor (which it will, being an old FL man myself), proper gear for that. It's most likely the trip is going to be harder on the rider than the bike.

AAA is a safer bet than an extended warranty for your trip. If you want the kawi warranty, get it for the cost coverage not trip coverage.

Enjoy the trip and safe travels! Oh! Take a camera and get a few shots along the way.
I would've never thought to check license plate bolts. Can I use premix 50/50 Prestone? Also, the brake fluid says to use "Dot 3 or 4". Does that mean I can top it off with either, or do I need to know which of the two it is first? What does AAA offer for motorcyclists?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy View Post
Tank bag helped me out on my trip so much(rest on it). And many many short breaks. I'd also make sure you have a rain suite and all year gear in water proof bags. Warenty should not be needed IMO but for peace of mind might not be a bad idea. Have fun tons of pictures be safe.
I ordered a Rapid Transit Recon 19 tank bag and a Kriega US-20 tail bag today. I also ordered a Rev'It Airwave jacket / pants combo and some Held Airstream gloves. I figured leather would be too hot for this trip this time of year. It's wide open highways for the most part. Slow downs won't really happen until I hit Mobile and Pensacola. We may dive off of I-10 at Foley, AL and go through Gulf Shores. Depends on what time we are rolling through.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:06 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Antifreeze is antifreeze.... Put whatever you like in there but I try not to mix brands or types. For your next coolant change, might I suggest a good flush of the system and fill with proper mix of engine ice & distilled water. Higher cooling effect but with antifreeze properties (-26 protection).

As for your brake fluid, do you remember what type is currently in there? I have learned mixing them is not recommended but it's also not the end of the world either. But yea, top off with DOT 3 or 4.

AAA may have something specific for motorcyclists but to my knowledge they don't care what your transportation is. Car, truck, bike they will tow you for free and get you to shelter at a discounted cost. It's cheap $50 roadside assistance for the entire year no matter where you are. hmmm... Check with your insurance provider, they may already include something similar in your policy.

Last futzed with by csmith12; June 4th, 2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: grammar
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2012, 04:13 AM   #8
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
As for your brake fluid, do you remember what type is currently in there? I have learned mixing them is not recommended but it's also not the end of the world either. But yea, top off with DOT 3 or 4.
I have no clue. It's whatever the factory uses. That why I was thinking I should pick up a bottle from the dealer. What happens with mix of 3 and 4? I know dot 4 withstands higher temperatures.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:27 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Factory supplied is DOT 4, which has a dry boiling point 45 degrees higher than DOT 3.
Both are chemically compatible (polyethylene glycol-based).
DOT 5 is silicone-based and not good for the Ninja.

Old June 4th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #10
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Factory supplied is DOT 4, which has a dry boiling point 45 degrees higher than DOT 3.
Both are chemically compatible (polyethylene glycol-based).
DOT 5 is silicone-based and not good for the Ninja.
Thanks! I should have read the shop manual. It was in there. I topped off the rear reservoir with no issue. I filled the front to the fill mark per the factory manual and it began seeping through the seal on the cover plate. I pull the cover and took some out. Did I do something wrong?

Last futzed with by geeker; June 4th, 2012 at 04:37 AM.

Old June 4th, 2012, 02:43 AM   #11
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

+1 on checking your license plate bolts.

One of mine fell off on my 750 miles trip. People kept signaling me to tell me about it.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

As long as the level is withing the glass visor, everything should be OK.

The seal is a rubber diaphragm that allows changes in the level when the brake is operated and isolates the fluid from the atmosphere at the same time.

The reason is that the DOT 3 and 4 absorb humidity from the air very quickly, which is not good for the internal parts of the brakes.

Old June 9th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #13
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
As long as the level is withing the glass visor, everything should be OK.

The seal is a rubber diaphragm that allows changes in the level when the brake is operated and isolates the fluid from the atmosphere at the same time.

The reason is that the DOT 3 and 4 absorb humidity from the air very quickly, which is not good for the internal parts of the brakes.
I've got just about all the maintenance items covered now. The only other thing I have noticed is I hear a whirring sound from the front wheel on left turns. From what I've gathered it's the speedometer cable. Haven't messed with it yet. The shop manual sounds like it's an involved process to take it apart.

Old June 9th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

I don't know about the new-gen, but the gears and cable of the speedometer are not difficult to service and lubricate.

Caveat: Don't over-lube, since lubricant could slowly drip down on the front tire.

Glad you are ready; Florida weather has been nasty this week.

Old June 9th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #15
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I don't know about the new-gen, but the gears and cable of the speedometer are not difficult to service and lubricate.

Caveat: Don't over-lube, since lubricant could slowly drip down on the front tire.

Glad you are ready; Florida weather has been nasty this week.
Is it worth fooling with the cable then? I noticed the weather down there this morning. It's been relatively low humidity in Arkansas this week. I could only hope for that kind of weather next Sunday when we leave. Murphy's Law will probably come in to play though.

Old June 26th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #16
geeker
ninjette.org guru

The trip went great! The weather cooperated all week and it was comfortable on the way down. The heat was on all the way back home though. My bike had a electrical problem that caused the starter to run all the time the night before I left. I ended up finding a pinched bundle of wires to the starter button. A clunk developed in my steering while I was there. It was the only adjustment that I needed. No oil was used, a little coolant was added once I got home, but that was it. Twelve hours down and twelve hours back. I spent less than $80 on fuel round trip. Ready to go again