Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:38 AM   #1
stegser
ninjette.org newbie

Name: wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r

My first ninja a couple of questions

Hi all i'm new around here great site very informative

I just purchased an 2009 ninja 250r with only 940 klms on the clock
original owner had a heart attack and could not ride anymore the bike is in mint condition and I got it for a very good price.

my question is after five years of mostly sitting would it be wise to replace anything? IE brake fluid,tyres that kind of thing
The bike had a service at 500 klms
Any help will be appreciated
Thanx

stegser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:47 AM   #2
dooby
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '11 250R SE (FI), '14 Daytona 675, '14 Sprint 1050 GT SE

Hi,

nice looking bike! I think brake fluid should probably be replaced after about 2 years so after 5 I would say yes.

Many tyres also have a lifespan around 6-7 years I think, so worth checking. In the UK, there is a date code stamped on the tyre when they were manufactured, perhaps they do the same in Thailand? You could then look up the tyre manufacturer recommendations and see whether they are too old.

I suspect an oil change would be a good idea, and also any petrol left in it has probably gone bad so I think it would be a good idea to drain it all and use new. With fuel injected models I don't think you have to worry about carbs gumming up but the same problems affect fuel injectors I believe so it may be difficult to start until the new petrol starts coming through. It might be worth considering an "injector cleaner" additive in the first tank though I have never used it myself.

The other fluid that comes to mind is coolant. Probably worth looking in the reservoir tank and seeing if the fluid seems to be separating or any other signs of deterioration in which case probably change that too I'm afraid...

HTH, Pete

Last futzed with by dooby; January 23rd, 2014 at 04:48 AM. Reason: spelling
dooby is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:53 AM   #3
stegser
ninjette.org newbie

Thanx dooby
I'll check all things you mentioned.
I'm a noob with bikes I havnt riden in years it's all new to me again .
Looking forward to the fun.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Aodrn
It's a long boring story

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I just put a 2007 zx6 back into service after about 4 years of sitting. Things that absolutely needed changing were oil and brake fluid. The brake fluid collects water and will corrode the entire system. I drained the gas and ran some injector cleaner. It did run rough for the first 100 miles and it didnt get to full power till almost 700 miles. Some of that may have been the rider. That was my buddies first bike and he never rang it out till he got more comfy. He has put thousands on the old tires and the date shows them at 7 years old. I dont know if thats smart, but take it for what its worth
#41 MCRA

alex.s :crashing is a normal part of life... people are just in denial about that.
Aodrn is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:08 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegser View Post
............Any help will be appreciated
Thanx
Welcome to our place, Wayne !!!

This was written for you:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Riders

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:22 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:36 AM   #7
stegser
ninjette.org newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks guys
I will be sure to change all the fluids and I might just buy new tyres to be safe
Great site you guys have here

Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:37 AM   #8
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Welcome!!!
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Thanks guys
I will be sure to change all the fluids and I might just buy new tyres to be safe
Great site you guys have here
The recommended tires at the moment are:
for good grip wet/dry but less longevity:
-Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/p...-ii-rear-tires
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/p...ii-front-tires
-Michelin Pilot Street Radials
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/m...ial-rear-tires
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/m...al-front-tires
for longevity while still being able to have fun once in a while dual compound tires are the best:
-Bridgestone Battlax bt45
http://www.revzilla.com/product/brid...formance-tires

there are other options that work as well but these seem to be the best at the moment for your $$$ and tires aren't something you want to skimp on too much.
(your tire sizes are 110/70-17 front and 130/70-17 rear but you can get away with a 140/70-17 rear if you want to but I believe you won't be able to use the edge of the tires (which you likely won't be doing as a beginner anyway))
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:06 PM   #10
stegser
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
The recommended tires at the moment are:
for good grip wet/dry but less longevity:
-Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/p...-ii-rear-tires
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/p...ii-front-tires
-Michelin Pilot Street Radials
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/m...ial-rear-tires
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/m...al-front-tires
for longevity while still being able to have fun once in a while dual compound tires are the best:
-Bridgestone Battlax bt45
http://www.revzilla.com/product/brid...formance-tires

Thanx
there are other options that work as well but these seem to be the best at the moment for your $$$ and tires aren't something you want to skimp on too much.
(your tire sizes are 110/70-17 front and 130/70-17 rear but you can get away with a 140/70-17 rear if you want to but I believe you won't be able to use the edge of the tires (which you likely won't be doing as a beginner anyway))
Thanx sirref
I'll go with the Pirelli's sound like a good all rounder.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:08 PM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Thanx serif
I'll go with the Pirelli's sound like a good all rounder.
I believe you can also find pirelli sport demons, a scooter tire, that fit well enough but aren't really as good for top speed despite usable grip and low price.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:22 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I believe you can also find pirelli sport demons, a scooter tire, that fit well enough but aren't really as good for top speed despite usable grip and low price.
Those are two different types of tires. The Pirelli Sport Demons are an older-generation bias-ply design, but very sticky compound. They are available with high speed ratings, and were one of the go-to tires for track use on earlier ninjettes before radials became more available. The Pirelli Diablo Scooter tires are a completely different tire, with a newer design, but still bias-ply as well I believe. Newer compound, probably better treadlife, but a low speed rating (92 mph, I believe). They are a good choice for the 16" pre-gen wheels, but for the 17" on the newgen 250's and the 300, there isn't a reason to choose them over any of the other more attractive options.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:23 PM   #13
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Those are two different types of tires. The Pirelli Sport Demons are an older-generation bias-ply design, but very sticky compound. They are available with high speed ratings, and were one of the go-to tires for track use on earlier ninjettes before radials became more available. The Pirelli Diablo Scooter tires are a completely different tire, with a newer design, but still bias-ply as well I believe. Newer compound, probably better treadlife, but a low speed rating (92 mph, I believe). They are a good choice for the 16" pre-gen wheels, but for the 17" on the newgen 250's and the 300, there isn't a reason to choose them over any of the other more attractive options.
belief corrected, thank you for filling me in.