ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 6th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #1
wild-bill
seeking twisties

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 650R, '09 250R special edition

Anyone seen "Long Way Round"?

A co worker told me about the 10 episode series. So I rented the DVDs from Netflix. Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor ride from London to New York the long way-east on dual sports supplied by BMW. In Mongolia and eastern Russia the route is very challenging-gravel, sand, mud, river crossings....just 'cause a road is on a map doesn't mean it's paved.

When they get to Magadan Russia, the bikes are flown to Alaska. They continue through Canada and the US to New York-almost 20,000 miles.

After seeing the series, I decided I want to do an adventure like this even though much of it was very difficult. To see places that look like you've went back in time a few decades would be exciting-people using animals for transportation, farm animals... And much of Kazakhstan, Mongolia, and eastern Russia is almost unpopulated.

Old January 6th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #2
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Great series. Also did a follow up called Long Way Down, though I haven't seen that one yet. Long Way Around really enjoyable, McGregor a very likeable guy and a pretty darn decent motorcyclist. He's talking about doing a third series - with his dog in a sidecar. Not looking forward to that.

Some parts of Asia, you go back more than a few decades when you travel. People living as they have for hundreds, even thousands of years. Was fortunate to get to travel around China during my last posting before Barbados. Some amazing culture and people. Always good to stretch one's mind and see the world.

Motorcycle adventure riding the only thing I regret about the Ninjette - not well set up for it. I've been eyeing an BMW F800 to supplement the 250r if I ever get off of an enclosed island and somewhere I can really tour . . .

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Liked both series, but I preferred the first one (round, not down). I do wonder if KTM is still kicking themselves for pulling their sponsorship at the last moment and BMW getting all that exposure.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #4
wild-bill
seeking twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I do wonder if KTM is still kicking themselves for pulling their sponsorship at the last moment and BMW getting all that exposure.
I hope so. After I saw that part, I just don't seem to like KTM bikes as much as I did before that moment.

Old January 6th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #5
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Its funny, the best lessons you can draw from those series were "pack less **** and get the lightest moto you can". Half their problems stemmed from 800 lb bikes with tons of stuff on them!
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Never heard of it...... gonna have to check it out
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #7
seis gunnar
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R SE Lime Green

I saw 'Around a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I have been meaning to see 'Down. I had heard about the 3rd too, with his dog, and for some reason I think I saw it was out already. Don't hold me to that. It's pretty hazy.
seis gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #8
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

There's a funny parody on YouTube called "Ewan and Thingy" -- Nine ~3 minute episodes.

Here's the first one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xorQyl121I

Some of them are really funny.

Old January 7th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #9
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Loved "Long Way Round"!

Then there's "Race to Dakar", that has Charley Boorman training and participating in one of the most difficult races on the planet.

"Long Way Down" is next in my queue.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #10
mikesova
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2002 XR200r

We got the first Dvd of Longway Round from Netflix...it was pretty boring and I didn't want to put my wife through the rest of it. Maybe someday, I'll finish it. I just picked up the book for Longway Down. If it's any good, that might be my motivation.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #11
wild-bill
seeking twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
We got the first Dvd of Longway Round from Netflix...it was pretty boring and I didn't want to put my wife through the rest of it. Maybe someday, I'll finish it. I just picked up the book for Longway Down. If it's any good, that might be my motivation.
The first 2 episodes are kinda boring. They don't leave until near the end of the second episode. And going through Europe is not very exciting-good paved roads. When Ewan and Charley get to the Ukraine border, it gets much better. Keep watching.

Old January 8th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #12
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

For Long Way Round, if you want to buy the series.... buy the extended version from Amazon Canada. Its an extra disc or 2 in length.

Old January 8th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #13
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

If you enjoyed that, you would probably love the BAM Road ride report on ADVrider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533442

Old January 25th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #14
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Some channel called "current tv" had the first six episodes on. I just happened to see the name on the guide, so we checked it out. First two hours were kinda stupid, talking, setting up shop, getting tons of free stuff.
They finaly took off on the trip in the 3rd episode. Was pretty cool seeing different countries..... Last 4 were on 10-2am, so we dvr'ed them, good thing too. To many dam commercials
Anyway, was funny seeing the big pot of nuts They were just about to hit that "bones road" in russia.
Hope that channel plays the rest, atleast so we can see them make it to Alaska. After that, I dont really care what happens
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote