ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 12th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #1
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Magic fix to a punctured tire?

Hi folks,
I was inspecting my rear tire yesterday and I found this metal strip embedded in my tire. Thinking it was a shallow (short) strip, I pried it out to discover it was rather tall and had penetrated through the tire. So, I put the strip back and attempted to pump the tire, but air slowly leaks out
I have posted a pic of the tire and the strip in question, the bike has only (799) miles and the tire itself is spanking new (albeit dirty...bike's been standing for 6 months). Anyway, I remember seeing this stuff that promises to seal tire leaks at AutoZone, is there such a product? Will it work effectively on motorcycle tires? Should I drop my quest for a magical fix and just buy a new tire?
Any comment is highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111020111115.jpg (35.7 KB, 25 views)
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
For a car maybe a product like that will work but due to the additional risk of riding, I would replace the tire. Some have had success with patching the tire (done from the inside). That would be up to your case and risk assessment.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #3
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I'm assuming that the hole is that little shiny white dot in the middle of the tread. I've said this before in an another thread. Controversial about plugging/patching a tire. Some will do it and some wont risk it. You're choice on it. If the hole is as clean as it looks, a plug would probably hold up fine. The stuff you're talking about that seals tires is slime and I would definitely not trust that stuff. Go with a mechanical plug/patch if you choose to keep the tire.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #4
Mazakawi
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
I'm assuming that the hole is that little shiny white dot in the middle of the tread. I've said this before in an another thread. Controversial about plugging/patching a tire. Some will do it and some wont risk it. You're choice on it. If the hole is as clean as it looks, a plug would probably hold up fine. The stuff you're talking about that seals tires is slime and I would definitely not trust that stuff. Go with a mechanical plug/patch if you choose to keep the tire.
His tire is essentially cut. It looks to be about a 1/2 inch long strip of metal through the tire. You would have to use a lot of plugs to fix that.

Your best bet at saving the tire is to have a shop pull it off the rim and patch it if you don't want to replace it.

I would replace it if I were you. Especially since you're on stock tires you can now upgrade to something better.

Remember, in a car you have 4 tires. If one fails the worst that happens is you ride the rim to the shoulder or spin out if you panic and don't know what to do. You physically are ok though and will walk away without a scratch on your body.

On a bike you only have 2 tires. If you lose one of them at high speed it can throw off your balance and cause you to fall which can cause serious physical injuries or even death.
Mazakawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #5
setasai

If its a cut slit then yes definitely replace it. Small nails or screws are easy to patch/plug and be fairly secure but cut slits have a much better chance of ripping open.

Old October 12th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #6
seis gunnar
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R SE Lime Green

The same thing happened to me after I first got my bike. As much as it sucks, and my frugal side understands your desire to patch a tire with only 800 miles on it, I really think it best to replace it.

On the up side, as was mentioned, you can go out and get a better tire. Just about any of the aftermarket options are going to be better. Once mine was replaced, the shop owner warned me to take it easy as the tire was new and going to be a little slick from the releasing agent that is used when molding the tire. About 30 min later I was going from I-45 to the 610 loop in Houston, and was thinking to myself, "A little slick? This thing is stickier new than the IRC with about 900 miles on it."

I have the Bridgestone BT-45 and really like it. But again, any of the aftermarket tires are going to be good, and there are lots of threads to search here as well.
seis gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

New tire time. :-(

Plugs can work well in some circumstances; this isn't one of them.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #8
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Thank you all so much for replying. I am going to get a new one...140s anyone? Anyway, I'm going to do some research, make that a LOT, seeing I just bought this bike and haven't even started it yet.
Thanks again all, and if it's not asking too much, some pointers on good tires that won't take chunks outta my wallet would be great.
Posted via Mobile Device
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #9
setasai

Start here.

Old October 13th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #10
EthioKnight
Super Noob