Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 27th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #1
razorgamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

New To The Forum =D Plus HUD

Hey Guys,
I am new to this forum, Alex recommended I join so I joined. Came from the barf forums =D. Well anyway just wanted to introduce myself and also see if there is any interest in this idea, I am just gonna copy and paste it from barf:

Quote:
Hey Guys,
I am currently working on a project and will have a working version by the end of november. It's a complete heads up display which would basically provide a display of your phone in your helmet (in a safe way) and the phone can be completly voice controlled. So essentially if you are using navigation etc the screen would turn on by itself to show the map and guide you along and it's being positioned in a helmet in a way that its only there in your peripheral vision unless you look directly at it in which case the road will be in your peripheral vision. I am just wondering how many people would be interested in this and if you have any suggestions? Right now main goal is for it to run on android first and gradually support ios and bbx (rim's new os). The application for the phone is already almost 95% functional...the other 5% is tweaking etc for it to work with the HUD. Any and all feedback will be appreciated! Thanks!
PS: A HMDS (Helmet Mounted Display System) prototype should be done in a few weeks =D
razorgamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #2
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I am very interested in this project. I don't have an Android, but I very much would like to have a C3PO some day (j/k). I have a paroled iPhone, so I couldn't use the programing you are working on, but will follow the project with interest, in hopes of further development.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #3
razorgamez
ninjette.org member

thanks for the support, the project is something I am working on when I get the free time (I am a student at USF...and also a CEO lol) so I work on it whenever I can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I am very interested in this project. I don't have an Android, but I very much would like to have a C3PO some day (j/k). I have a paroled iPhone, so I couldn't use the programing you are working on, but will follow the project with interest, in hopes of further development.
razorgamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #4
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Sounds pretty interesting man. I don't have a phone right now but I love HUD's. I have one in my corvette and I use it so much.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome and sounds like a cool project.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #6
gadgetguy1288
Coastie Tweet

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Ebony, 2012 BMW F800R White

Welcome to the site. Sounds like an awesome idea. I'm definitely interested. Let me know if you need any help with testing lol
gadgetguy1288 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #7
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

I know a group of guys at my college were working on something similar but I've no idea on their progress. I'm personally very interested in the idea with focus on being able to see the following pieces of information:
1. Speed (MPH)
2. Time (12h)
3. Direction
4. GPS integration

If you decide to sell any type of prototypes, feel free to let me know and I'll see if I can budget it. I currently have a Droid, Droid Bionic, and Xoom that I could try and test it with.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #8
seis gunnar
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R SE Lime Green

I thought that something like this would generate lots of interest from the MC community. I did a little research awhile back and found a company in B.C. (Recon Instruments) that makes a ski goggle. At the time it they seem to be focusing on skiing; it was before the Vancouver Olympics that I was looking.

Looking at their website just now, you have to contact them about information for any "land" uses. So they may not have not adjusted their focus yet. I'm don't mean to discourage you, just giving you a little research on competition. I am assuming your reason for asking us is part of a "market research". If not, sorry. I had and hour and a half long conversation today with one of the marketing heads this morning.

Good luck with it, and keep us informed.
seis gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #9
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Welcome.

I love this idea. I've thought about having something like this before. I'd want it to feed information about the motorcycle onto the display too - like speed and revs etc. If you wanted to make it really flash, you could get it to show a rotating 3D model of the bike when you first step onto it. It would have a unique model for each bike that it supports.

Look forward to seeing your prototype.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #10
headshrink

I must inform you that I already hold US, and international, patents on whatever you are about to build. Perhaps we can agree on a price for a limited licensing agreement.
I'm kidding, of course - LOL. It sounds like some interesting ideas are starting to bubble up. Keep us updated with your progress, and we always love pictures around here.

Old February 17th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #11
razorgamez
ninjette.org member

Update

Hey Guys,
Major update. We have made the first prototype. It is still a work in progress but I can definetly see this happening within 1-2 years. Taking it slow because this is more of a hobby.

Old February 17th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #12
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

nice id like to see it...
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #13
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

welcome, very interesting project! I hope you are successful in developing it.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #14
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorgamez View Post
Hey Guys,
Major update. We have made the first prototype. It is still a work in progress but I can definetly see this happening within 1-2 years. Taking it slow because this is more of a hobby.
Progress is progress!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #15
headshrink

You're teasing us... you gotta give us SOMETHING.

Old February 18th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #16
NikkitaNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250 *Nikkita* - 2003 Buell XB9R

This sounds great. I'd drop the money in a heartbeat for something like this.
NikkitaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 03:46 AM   #17
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post

Here is one that does not take that much real estate and is not in a place that would typically cause a blind spot that would cause problems. Granted I have not seen your design yet so I cannot comment just giving my thoughts on potential problems going forward.

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf...0317MWECMM.htm
It doesn't seem like they make it any more... sad.

Old February 19th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #18
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

If you can some ow integrate it with the iPhone or Android smart phones that might help significantly.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #19
razorgamez
ninjette.org member

no pics yet

sorry guys, no pics until the third version. In terms of visor real estate what we are trying to do is make the display a small strip that can be installed on either the top or bottom of the visor. So essentially it makes room for info while taking very little useable visor real estate. The device is being made to display your phones screen, with a custom software running on it. Only issue right now is trying to make the display wireless.

The current prototype is a rough working version, works but is just a proof of concept. It's not at a real world testing stage yet.

Old February 19th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #20
headshrink

Some great ideas here. I can't wait to see the youtube test videos (hint, hint).

I really like idea using sensors for situational awareness too, like some cars now have. Having never used it, and being such a new consumer product, I wonder what real-world results will be. I'm sure it will save more than a few people from accidents, but I also wonder if it will enable bad driving habits too (not checking blind spots). Regardless, I would get it if I could afford it.

Integrating with the smart phone idea could be epic too... I'm glad you're working on that.

I don't recall the name, but there was a helmet a few years back that had integrated a rear view mirror. They basically used a periscope under the helmet shell. There was a narrow mirror at the top of the face "window" where it wouldn't obstruct your view. Someone suggested it might make you a bit dizzy, but my assumption was that you would have to actually move your eyes up to see it, therefore you could choose not to be looking/tracking it. Again, I'm pretty sure they don't make it anymore. It was either another no-name helmet, or European brand we aren't familiar with in the US. Either way, a novel idea that never got traction.
EDIT: correction - I guess it is still out there.... sort of. It's a little unclear if it is underdevelopment, or come and gone, etc. A youtube review mentions there was an older version, they went away, webbike world tested a 2010 version, but the webpage looks like they are in development. Either way, these things suggest the company likely will not have staying power (IMO). http://www.reevu.com/

Old February 19th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #21
razorgamez
ninjette.org member

As far as I can see the there are 2 problems with the sensors for blindspots etc,
a) The cost will go up quite a bit for the system, and it also needs to be tested safely and frankly will be a huge PITA
b) People will be too dependent on the system. Last thing i want to do is turn good riders to douches (IMO)

Old February 19th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #22
razorgamez
ninjette.org member

we are working on a new display right now, which would be mounted at either the top or the bottom of the visor. The concept we are trying is to have a dashboard, like one you would have in your car, which you can take quick glances at for important info. Current inputs being worked on are speed, rpm, gear indicator, navgation (not a full fledged map (way too distracting),its more of something that shows what the next step/turn etc is and the distance and name, the detailed map would be on your phone which you will have to stop to take a look at), caller id, music playlist control (mostly current song title), and a voice activated input which works with your phone and works kinda like siri, but more focused on safety and motorcycling.

Edit:
Since this is a hobby project, we are trying out all the possible combinations and safe ways to integrate them into the system.

Old February 20th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #23
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
Remember peripheral vision uses rods not cones to detect things. Rods are more sensitive to motion and less to color.
LOL, is this common knowledge? Silly me, how could I forget.

Old February 20th, 2012, 05:34 AM   #24
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

If your HUD could display bearing and distance to the nearest cop(s) on the road, that would be far more useful. AFAIK, there are some mobile apps that show radar traps, etc, in real-time. If you parse it out and feed into a HUD, many riders might be very interested.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #25
razorgamez
ninjette.org member

The way the system is being developed is hardware with a very tweakable and customized android running on it. The sweet part about all of this is that the whole software side of things will be open source, and full documentation and api's will be provided for anyone to tweak it. Right now were just on the experimenting stage of the hardware, making it work properly with a helmet and with the software. THe final product lets anyone tweak and customize the os, its just the hardware that will cost.