ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:55 PM   #41
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Roger that. I'm not good at hardball but I'll definitely try to not accept any offers and make sure I'm being taken care of. So let's say they tell me it's totalled tomorrow and I just bite the bullet and buy a new 300, get in on the AreaP group buy, etc. and submit those as "I fixed it, here's what it cost" -- would that be a good approach? I've got the savings, as loathe as I am to use them, but I'm stranded at my hotel room right now since I'm in LA and my cage is in Vegas so I want to move fast.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 11:21 PM   #42
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Here's a pic of the damage on both vehicles; just to cover myself I've blurred out the other driver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-02-21 at 10.17.48 PM.jpg (72.3 KB, 119 views)

Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:24 AM   #43
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Roger that. I'm not good at hardball but I'll definitely try to not accept any offers and make sure I'm being taken care of. So let's say they tell me it's totalled tomorrow and I just bite the bullet and buy a new 300, get in on the AreaP group buy, etc. and submit those as "I fixed it, here's what it cost" -- would that be a good approach? I've got the savings, as loathe as I am to use them, but I'm stranded at my hotel room right now since I'm in LA and my cage is in Vegas so I want to move fast.
No you need the receipts from everything at the time they were purchased. For my most recent claim I've had to go back to stores and have them reprint receipts so I can send them in. They will then make me an offer and I'm going to ask for an itemized list. Anything that they have cut down like say my givi case, if they try to give me $300 when really I paid $500 then I'm going to fight that.

"Well that givi case was used, not new"

Fair enough, show me where I can get an exact replacement for $300 and I'll accept that amount

"Were giving you $3500 for your 2012 ninja 250 because it was a used vehicle."

Ok, tell me where exactly I can find a used, uncrashed 2012 ninja 250 for $3500 and I will accept that amount.

That's how you have to play the game. If they come back with numbers to low, ask where they got their numbers and submit to them your own. So for the bike, check craigslist and cycle trader and show them those amounts. You do not have to find a used one, just a 2012 ninja 250, mileage is irrelevant in these instances. When I crashed my 2011 ninja 250, the value was calculated off of NEW 2011 250s that were listed at $3999. So I got back $3999 plus tax. Don't expect to get your dealer fees back though.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:25 AM   #44
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Omg, your ninjas brains came out
AFM #676

Old February 22nd, 2013, 03:20 AM   #45
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Glad it wasn't worse bro... And yeah, that looks totally avoidable, but then again Hindsight is always 20/20... lol Heal up and Good luck getting a new ride...

Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:07 AM   #46
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Here's a pic of the damage on both vehicles..........
That pic is so sad.............specially with the speed sign in the back.........
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:28 AM   #47
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
There insurance will also pay for a rental car until you get a replacement so you are not stranded,
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:25 AM   #48
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Here's a pic of the damage on both vehicles.
Before the insurance takes your bike, snag the headlight and send it to me. I'll pay shipping.

I want the mounting brackets for the reflector, I just don't want to pay for an entire unit off ebay ($100+)
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:41 AM   #49
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Thanks for the sympathy everyone (though the 'completely preventable' part being repeated is making me blush plenty pink, guess I deserve that though)

I'll see if I can get any parts off the bike; from my understanding if they total her out they 'own' the bike.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:07 AM   #50
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
I am glad you got out of there walking and that you are ok, as that hit could have been way worse. How are you feeling now, after some hours have passed? I've been in a similar situation, except in a car versus pedestrians, where pedestrians ran into my car trying to catch the bus via jaywalking/running, in blind semi-stopped traffic such as that video. I'm curious what the drivers reaction was, did they have insurance, etc? How did the Phantoms hold up and the rest of your gear? Sorry about your bike, hopefully your hand(s) heal up soon.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:12 AM   #51
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Haven't specifically looked over the phantoms for damage yet, to be honest. As for how I'm feeling - a bit stiff, but ok. Feels kind of like I overdid it at the gym in a few muscles here and there, my thumb still being the worst of it. Some friends are advising me to find a doctor to get checked out 'just in case'; just don't know any in the area.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:51 AM   #52
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

I see that type of accident almost happen everyday. I hate it when traffic in 1 or 2 lanes decides to stop and let a car cross when there is also a clear lane. It sets anyone coming in the clear lane up with a blocked view. I have even had vehicles stop in moving traffic to let a car cross.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:58 AM   #53
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

I know a good chiropractor in the area, depending on where in LA you are, but he's waaaay laid-back, so you can never expect to be in and out of there on time. Great guy though, and does his job well.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:25 AM   #54
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Just got off the phone with the adjustor -- other party is taking responsibility so yay.
I've been offered $500 for medical, I'm trying to figure out what a good place to go for a 'sanity checkup' would be -- is urgent care a good choice for that kind of thing? Before I take that I want to make sure it really is just bumps and bruises.
We're pending on the bike estimate, but the gear should be covered too according to him. I'm gathering up receipts as best I can.
Their adjustor should be able to go by the dealer on Monday to confirm their assessment (repair or total loss) and then we'll move forward on that front.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:35 AM   #55
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Glad to see you were wearing proper gear and walked away relatively unscathed.

They say the majority of motorcycle accidents are caused by cagers taking a left turn... Man they are not kidding. I get pretty paranoid myself when riding around and always slow down more-so near intersections mostly for this reason.

It's just like you say, the one moment you lose focus something unexpected happens.

Just curious, how do the insurance "payouts" work if you have liability coverage? Does it depend on who is at fault?

I did not know they will pay for your gear and all the additional stuff. I'm riding around with liability and thinking about switching to full coverage if they'll cover the cost of the bike, but then again it may simply depend on who is at fault.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:01 AM   #56
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
I'm waiting for my insurance company to call me back but here's my understanding:
If you are the cause/fault of the accident then your insurance is what gets involved. Liability covers damage to OTHER people's belongings. Collision covers your own bike. Your Helmet is covered because it is required by law (not sure how this works in states w/o helmet laws). Your gear is NOT covered. I'm trying to get my gear in an amended policy (probably under my home owner's umbrella as a specific 'sporting good' according to my agent)

If you are HIT by someone else then their liability insurance covers anything they damaged physically (medical is different though, Jiggles can probably explain that part better). Basically that means, because this person is at fault, his company will be covering my bike and all my gear.

I just got off the phone with a bike attorney I called yesterday. He suggests I try to get the medical bumped up ($750-1500), and to make sure I get in reimbursment for my loss of use/time having to be spent dealing with this/etc. on top of that in addition to all my gear and the bike.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:19 AM   #57
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Liability covers your medical expenses as well
AFM #676

Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:09 AM   #58
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Glad you're okay. That actually looked pretty scary. I'll go ahead and second Alex. You want a 300. The other colors aside from white, sorry Alex, make the bike look really cool. It's got everything that you would want to change about the 250 already done to it. Fuel injection, no choke on cold mornings and waiting 5-6 minutes to warm up so it doesn't fall on it's face on the throttle at low rpm. It actually gets the same if not better mileage than your 250. It makes quite a bit more power. Sport rider had the thing doing 14 sec 1/4 miles. That's as fast as a Mazdaspeed 3 or an older wrx, a car that will do 140 mph with four adult males in the car... don't ask how I know. It has a modern digital dash, with a CLOCK. Emphasis on the clock part.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:20 AM   #59
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Good thread
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:31 AM   #60
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

Sorry to hear about your crash. The driver of the Benz was definitely 100% at fault. I've seen so many close calls like that, where a driver stops to wave someone through and that person takes it as a sign that all is clear and forgets about the 2nd lane of traffic.

As for replacing your bike, I'd go for the 300 if I were in your shoes. I know you have your bike modded and have a connection to it but the 300 offers many improvements. I think a stock 300 would be just as good or better than a modded 250. Nothing wrong with picking up a leftover 2012 250 but seems like a great chance to get the 300.

Don't take their first offer on anything. Add up all your time, gear, mods, etc. and get ready to play hardball. If you want the 300, I think a good deal would be having the insurance cover your gear and a new 300. I wouldn't push them to get you an aftermarket exhaust though. Now if you go the 250, by all means, get all the mods you already had. BTW, I really like the white 300 and, of course, the red offered here in Canada (I have 3 red bikes). Good luck

Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:39 AM   #61
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Gear replacement and coverage for accessories on the bike (and what receipts are necessary) depends on your insurance company. Mine has been amazingly easy to deal with on both of those areas. I sent them a spreadsheet for my destroyed gear with prices and when I bought it, and they paid it out at 100% if it was less than a year old, and depreciated it somewhat depending on how many years old it was. They paid it out without any additional receipts. Same with accessories on the bike, I told them what I bought, had pricing and time bought, and they paid out the max coverage ($3K), that I had for that piece.

When it is totalled, yes, they own the bike, but the insurance company doesn't truly care a whit about any extra stuff on the bike. It's just going to a salvage auction where those things don't really affect the value anyway, so it's not that big a deal to remove things from the bike if you're given the opportunity.

Also - don't take the first offer unless you truly feel it's fair, just ask how they got to that estimate, and challenge it with data if needed. I didn't like the first offer as I thought the comparables they found didn't have the same equipment that was on mine. One call to my agent to describe why I felt that way, and the offer for the bike went up $4k the very next day, which I thought was a completely fair outcome.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:44 AM   #62
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Hey Yakaru, how was the other driver with all of this?

Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:56 AM   #63
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.

I'd probably go with the 300 as well if I was in a similar situation.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:30 PM   #64
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHairSar View Post
Hey Yakaru, how was the other driver with all of this?
Well, I didn't realize it until I reviewed the video but the first question he asked me was "why didn't you stop for me" -- I kind of hold that against him :P First question I REMEMBER him asking was if I was okay. Oddly enough he reported to me that he used to ride (well, he was on a Harley... close enough ) until he got into a pretty nasty wreck, I didn't pry too much.

My impression through everything was he didn't think he had done anything wrong, but he wasn't angry or unduly upset or anything and seemed genuinely happy I didn't seem injured. The officers that responded reported to me that it was def. his fault and his insurance didn't even fight me on it (they asked for the video, but only as a 'cover the bases' type thing).

Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:11 PM   #65
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Do not give them the video, it can only harm you
AFM #676

Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:12 PM   #66
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Quote:
Well, I didn't realize it until I reviewed the video but the first question he asked me was "why didn't you stop for me" -- I kind of hold that against him :P First question I REMEMBER him asking was if I was okay. Oddly enough he reported to me that he used to ride (well, he was on a Harley... close enough ) until he got into a pretty nasty wreck, I didn't pry too much.
Snicker, snicker.

Quote:
My impression through everything was he didn't think he had done anything wrong, but he wasn't angry or unduly upset or anything and seemed genuinely happy I didn't seem injured. The officers that responded reported to me that it was def. his fault and his insurance didn't even fight me on it (they asked for the video, but only as a 'cover the bases' type thing).
Sweet!

Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:16 PM   #67
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Man seeing and reading through these threads really makes me want to get a video camera while I'm riding.

I have no idea where to start though. Do they attach to the helmet?

Having video evidence can definitely come in handy if someone is trying to dispute an insurance claim against you.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:20 PM   #68
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfresh View Post
Man seeing and reading through these threads really makes me want to get a video camera while I'm riding.

Having video evidence can definitely come in handy if someone is trying to dispute an insurance claim against you.

you can mount it on the bike, but i prefer a helmet mount.

imo, it has a better field of view, and captures what you see.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:36 PM   #69
xSean13

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfresh View Post

Yep, helmet mount is my preferred choice. Drift looks the best when mounted on a helmet. If you don't mind looking sketchy or like a teletubby, then gopro will also mount on the helmet.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:26 PM   #70
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
I have a Contour+2 mounted to my helmet. I like that for a few reasons -- one is that it shows my viewpoint, or at least close to it. For example, when reviewing the uncut video of this incident you can see I always check my blindspot when I laneshift/turn/etc. -- good for showing I'm a responsible biker-girl-type-person.

I'm considering getting another camera (Contour, GoPro, whatever) to mount to the bike frame itself -- those always make twisties look more fun (since you try to keep your head 'upright' when you're leaning, or at least I was taught to) the helmet cam always makes the lean look pretty tame.

Also a heads up, saw a doctor today and he gave me a thumbs up with regard to no major head or spinal issues, wants me to take it easy for a bit and come back if any pain gets worse or doesn't start to fade.

Insurance question:
So according to KBB my bike will be $4095 to replace -- http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/kawas...edretailvalue/ -- I paid $5300 to get my bike out the door plus the DMV charges -- since that 5300 includes some fees/taxes/etc. should I be able to insist those get added to my check? I'm also documenting all of my modifications for replacement (AreaP, flush mounts, rejetted carbs, double bubble, electric relay switcher, Sport Demon tires, air system optimizations), which I should get on top of that amount right? Is the labor cost of installing those mods covered, esp. if I installed myself?

Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:42 PM   #71
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Well your bike isn't new, that's how insurance will look at it, you can fight for the fees if you want to though, wouldn't hurt. Receipts receipts receipts, that is the est way to get your money back. Service likely won't be reimbursed just like gas and oil wouldn't be reimbursed
AFM #676

Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:04 PM   #72
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

You won't be able to claim tires and it might be tough to get them to pay for a new bike. One idea if you want to stick with the 250, is try to get a leftover 2012 and see about getting the mods off your crashed bike. Worth a try.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:57 PM   #73
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
So at what point is a bike used? I assume 1 mile from insurance's eyes :P? I mean, obviously I've riden her quite a bit but she's still a baby -- was still technically in the break-in.

For reference on Craigs list (note these links will die over time obviously):

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcd/3607445905.html -- wants $4966 and she's got 7600 miles. I have WAY LESS than that.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/3575932495.html -- wants $4000 and she has 6000 miles. Still way less on mine. Also has some issues (turn signal cracked).

Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:06 PM   #74
SMman
ninjette.org guru

How many miles on your bike? I certainly feel your pain. I wouldn't want to buy a used bike or have to pay the difference to get a new one. Explain this if they hassle you.

The other driver was at fault but its a huge pain for you. I went through a similar thing when a lady pulled in front of my truck. She covered all expenses, including a rental car, but I had lots of running around to do and time spent making things right.

As for labor to install parts, that could be tricky without receipts and the fact you installed yourself. You could just say you want the same bike with the same parts and tell them to make it happen.

Did you get a rental yet? If not, get one and keep it until you have a replacement bike. The insurance company was only going to give me one for a few days but I said no way because there was a wait for parts for my truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
SMman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:11 PM   #75
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
She had just over 3500 miles on her. No rental car yet, but that was at my own allowance (I wanted to finish having her officially totalled out, I'll start on the process Monday if I don't have a check)

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:19 AM   #76
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Just got off the phone with the adjustor -- other party is taking responsibility so yay.
I've been offered $500 for medical, I'm trying to figure out what a good place to go for a 'sanity checkup' would be -- is urgent care a good choice for that kind of thing? Before I take that I want to make sure it really is just bumps and bruises.
We're pending on the bike estimate, but the gear should be covered too according to him. I'm gathering up receipts as best I can.
Their adjustor should be able to go by the dealer on Monday to confirm their assessment (repair or total loss) and then we'll move forward on that front.
Rotten luck but I hope you are ok and heal up any boo boo's no matter how small.

Do not go to urgent care for the checkout unless you have real faith in the doc there. From my downs, I get treatment right away and then go back a week later for a semi complete physical. Some injuries are subtle like that until you move a certain way or do something out of your normal day. When you feel up to it, stretch out everything and you will have a better idea of what is going on.

Hope you get all that is owed to you from the insurance, it's what they are there for and yet they try to minimize their payouts .

Enjoy your next bike (R6... cough... cough, lol) and happy and safe riding to you.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:39 AM   #77
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Since I'm stuck in LA and don't know any docs here I used urgent care as my 'better than nothing' -- when I get back to Vegas I'll go see my GP, or if anything gets worse I'll go to the ER.
I'm compiling a list of everything I was wearing and had done to the bike; and I've signed up for the 300 AreaP group buy. I'm almost starting over -- new bike and new gear.

(emotional crybaby follows): ... Is it bad I kind of feel like I'm a ****** rider from this? I cried when they towed my bike off the mechanic's lot back after the estimate came in totalled yesterday; I can't help but feel like it's my fault that bike never got more of a chance.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:46 AM   #78
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
No, that's the normal "what if's" and everyone I know has taken a confidence hit when they crash. It happens, so just ride it out knowing you will be a better rider in the end.

Love the bike for what it allows you to do, not for the machine it is.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:19 AM   #79
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
No, that's the normal "what if's" and everyone I know has taken a confidence hit when they crash. It happens, so just ride it out knowing you will be a better rider in the end.

Love the bike for what it allows you to do, not for the machine it is.

The accident was not your fault (as you know) maybes and what ifs may not have changed a thing
Your going to love your new 300
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:23 AM   #80
SMman
ninjette.org guru

We all have a connection to our bikes and don't want to see them wrecked. Don't blame yourself. Keep your chin up and look forward to all the fun you will have with your next bike. Now, someone snatch up the wrecked 250 and turn it into a track bike.