ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old August 15th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #1
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Earplugs and why you should wear them

Let's start with why you should wear them. Wind noise, exhausts, and traffic noise actually tend to be a lot louder than people realise. Wind noise at 55mph (this is assuming there is no other wind happening, just the wind from you going 55mph down the road) is right around the 94dB(A) range. At 65mph we're looking at 101dB; and at 100mph we're at 110dB. Average traffic noise, around town and sitting in it, averages around 82dB. A chainsaw (which, I'm sure most, if not all people using one wear earplugs) is right around 110dB, while a Jackhammer at a construction site is around 120dB. Depending on your exhaust, you can figure anywhere between 80dB - 117dB for that (straight pipes anyone?). Now, with the way dB addition works, if we add up the wind noise, plus the traffic, other road sounds, and such; going down the road or highway at 50-55mph, we're looking at total dB levels for 100-105dB; add one or two for your exhaust typical aftermarket exhaust, 3 or 4 if you have a really loud one. Stock exhausts are typically quiet enough that they're usually drowned out by the other noises completely and won't really affect overall volume.

Hearing is a one shot sense; once it's destroyed, you don't get it back. So taking care of your ears is a big deal; it could mean the difference between needing hearing aids at the age of 35-40, or never needing them. How do you destroy your hearing? The most common way that isn't medical or caused by bacteria/infection/disease is loudness. There is a certain duration you can listen to things at certain loudness before causing permanent hearing damage. Most of us audio engineers work at 90dB or lower. Why? Because you can be exposed to 90dB of sound level/volume/pressure (more volume puts more pressure on your ears) for 8 hours. Now as we increase in volume, we decrease in exposure time before hearing damage begins. At 100dB, which is quiet exhaust at 50-55mph riding levels, exposure time is 2 hours. At 105dB, we're already down to 1 hour of exposure time though. 110dB is 30 minutes, and 115dB is 15 minutes.

The best way to find the plugs for you is to try out a bunch of different ones and see which fit you the best and are most comfortable for you, as well as find out how much attenuation you want. The best way to do this is with an assortment pack. I highly recommend this pack. It has 35 different sets of plugs ranging from NRR 28-33 (28dB attenuation - 33dB). [Please note, dB values are non-linear, so although that might not seem like a wide range, 28dB and 33dB attenuation is quite a bit; volume/attenuation amount doubles each 3dB] If you find that 28dB is still too quiet for you, check out the Reusable pack.

The biggest difference between re-usables and disposables: re-usables will last you upwards of a year if you rinse them off every now and then; disposables last me 2-4 weeks depending on how often I ride. Reusables typically max out at about 28dB (though I have seen a few at 32) and come as low as 10dB; disposables go all the way up to 33dB. Lastly, reusables come with a larger upfront cost, but you don't keep replacing them like with disposables.

If you're just looking for something to primarily cut out some of the wind noise, check out reusables in the NRR10-14 range.

If you use a helmet communicator (Sena, Cardo, etc.) earplugs of any sort can hugely impact the quality of how they sound. Most helmet communicators I've tried sound very thin and lack low end when playing music through them. Due to acoustical physics, wearing earplugs will help bring back that low end and make your music sound more full and natural, the way you're used to hearing it. For speech and communications, I've found that even low NRR earplugs will make it much easier to understand the person(s) you're talking to as they help cut down the wind noise, which is the main sound competing with the voice you're trying to listen to. Not only does making it easier to hear the person more enjoyable to have a conversation with, you also have to focus on it less, letting you focus more on the road and your safety.

Lastly, I'd like to say a quick word about inserting ear plugs. Too often do I see people take disposable plugs, roll them and just push them into their ears (even worse are those that don't even roll them first). Firstly, pinch and roll the plugs in order to get them nice and small for insertion. Disposable plugs will gradually expand over a long-ish period of time (3-10 seconds, depending on the plugs), giving you time to put them in your ear. (This time is actually very fun to listen to if you have someone talking to you as you insert your plugs and they slowly drown out to a silence :P ) Anyways, once the plug is rolled, don't just jam it in your ear, grab the top of your ear (Pinna) with your opposite hand and pull it up and back slightly. This helps straighten out your ear canal so the plug gets inserted properly for a firm fit. Without proper fit, you can kiss that NRR rating away; you'll still get hearing protection, just not proper and not as much as you should be. Pic for your help or a video showing you, if you'd prefer that

Hope some of you find this thread useful.

9 out of 9 members found this post helpful.

Old August 15th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14

So if I am listening to the radio over a Sena on highway speeds, I keep thinking my 32dB plug (I think it's that high, grabbed the one with the highest number) would drown out the radio at a medium volume. I'm not in heavy traffic (so no surrounding engines, horns, sirens) I just deal with wind.

I need to replace the one I have (forgot to put them in one day, wind caught the cord and pulled the plugs off) so would that 32 be too much or would it be "better" to get something in the high 20 range?

Hope that makes sense, my ears are not sensitive by any means so I have little understanding on anything sound related.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #3
saxnbass

High NRR ratings are fine if you're listening to your Sena. I have a Sena that I listen to music with on solo rides and communicate with on group rides, and I wear 32 and 33 NRR plugs. My Sena is almost always at full volume though, due to the earplugs. Make sure you have your earplugs in when turning it back on though, cause if you forget... you'll only do that once

The part with the wearing low NRR plugs if you have a communicator is more there as an incentive to get more people to try out earplugs that normally wouldn't. My personal rule is the higher the better, but don't go so high that it makes you uncomfortable and not wear them.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 15th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
High NRR ratings are fine if you're listening to your Sena. I have a Sena that I listen to music with on solo rides and communicate with on group rides, and I wear 32 and 33 NRR plugs. My Sena is almost always at full volume though, due to the earplugs. Make sure you have your earplugs in when turning it back on though, cause if you forget... you'll only do that once
Cool, thank you. I was going to go buy new plugs today so this whole conversation happened at the perfect time for me.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #6
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

very useful post. hopefully everyone takes the time to read. Hearing is not something I want to lose.

I always wear plugs on my bike. Now that I've gotten used to it, I can't stand riding without them. I am convinced I can hear everything around me better with them in, it seems to mostly just drown out the sound of the bike. I actually trim down my plugs (disposable) basically so they sit flush with the outside of my ear (not the canal, but the actual ear). With them at full length, they catch on my helmet pads and pull out fully or partially.

I have also found that this has translated to my every-day life. As an engineer, I'm occasionally on construction sites. I'm almost always wearing earplugs there. Most of the workers just scream at each other. Again, I think I can hear better with them in then with them out. The days I forget them, I'm dying.

and don't even get me started about concerts... my ears were ringing for 2 days last time I went to one and forgot my plugs. I ALWAYS wear them at concerts now. I try to buy yellow ones and trim them so they're less visible and I don't look like as much of a "pansy".

I keep a set in my toiletries bag as well, last thing I need when going on a trip with friends is for someone to snore so loudly that I can't sleep. Mowing lawns, working with a hammer, etc., I frequently use them.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #7
parox91
ninjette.org member

Name: Not Applicable

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250

are these numbers with or without a helmet on? and does it take into account the particular type/style of helmet? I feel that there must be more data to this since I frequent 80-95mph on my pregen 30-45minutes at a time
parox91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #8
Oahull
ninjette.org member

Name: Olivia

Motorcycle(s): '00 Ninja 250

I've read that wind noise plays a big factor in becoming fatigued on long rides, too, so there's another reason!

Here's another video on ear plug insertion that I thought was super helpful. It's really detailed and goes into some troubleshooting at the end, which is nice:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
I actually trim down my plugs (disposable) basically so they sit flush with the outside of my ear (not the canal, but the actual ear). With them at full length, they catch on my helmet pads and pull out fully or partially.
Since you use earplugs so much, I might be way off, but if your plugs are far out of your ear enough to catch on things, you might not have them inserted far enough in (if you use the foam ones). When you have them inserted, they should be hidden by your tragus, the little flap of cartilage before your ear canal, if you look at yourself straight-on in a mirror.
Oahull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #9
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oahull View Post
Since you use earplugs so much, I might be way off, but if your plugs are far out of your ear enough to catch on things, you might not have them inserted far enough in (if you use the foam ones). When you have them inserted, they should be hidden by your tragus, the little flap of cartilage before your ear canal, if you look at yourself straight-on in a mirror.
i have very short and narrow canals. ear plugs are one-size-fits-all... i'm a tiny person, with a tiny head. i might not be getting "perfect" fit, but it works for me.

Old August 15th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

All good info here, thx @saxnbass for bring the topic back up on the site. Our main "Do you wear earplugs?" poll has been going for awhile as well.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I use S-plug earbuds on every ride. They cost, but are superb and do an amazing job of blocking noise with zero discomfort. You can also pull your helmet on without dislodging them, since they fit entirely inside your ear canal.

http://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_ste...rbuds_s/67.htm

I plug my ears because wind noise, even in my helmet (which is quiet) is loud enough to be annoying. Around town it's quiet enough, but as soon as I hit highway speeds it's too much.

I also like to listen to the radio (not music) loud enough to hear but loud enough to distract... like in my car.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #12
Oahull
ninjette.org member

Name: Olivia

Motorcycle(s): '00 Ninja 250

Quote:
i have very short and narrow canals. ear plugs are one-size-fits-all... i'm a tiny person, with a tiny head. i might not be getting "perfect" fit, but it works for me.
Ah, gotcha. If it works, it works.
Oahull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Name: Gregg

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Goldwing; 2009 KLR-650; 2011 Ninja 250; 2010 FJR-1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I use earplugs on every ride other than a trip down the street to fillup the bike at the gas station. Once you start riding with them, you'll kick yourself for not starting earlier.
Plus, riding without plugs for short distances gives you the opportunity to "hear" the bike and listen for any rattles or signs that something may be coming loose or need your attention. A dry speedo cable is one that comes to mind. Hard for me to hear with ear plugs in and cruising at highway speeds, but very noticable when riding without plugs in.
IBA #485, Goldwing Darkside #646
http://va-ldrider.blogspot.com
Gregg_VA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #14
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oahull View Post
Ah, gotcha. If it works, it works.
Just to be sure, I actually just took a full sized one and did what he said and stuffed it in as far as the video showed. it was incredibly painful as it started to expand. putting it in as far as it goes without pain, it sticks out past the surface of my ear, hence, why I cut them down to size.

(I ruptured my eardrums twice as a child with infections, this may be playing a role)

Old August 15th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #15
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

I picked up some custom made earplugs from a company at a Road Rider event a few weeks ago. I am very impressed with them. I can still hear things, but the sound of the wind is really diminished. I had a similar problem as @dfox, where an expanding plug made my head feel like it was going to explode. The custom made plugs were fitted to my ear canal and do not expand any further. When riding without them, the wind is very noticeable and annoying now. There is a real difference in fatigue when I arrive, even from short trips. And I also now know that there is a twist in my ear canal, an uncommon trait in human ear topography. Weird.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #16
saxnbass

Quote:
Just to be sure, I actually just took a full sized one and did what he said and stuffed it in as far as the video showed. it was incredibly painful as it started to expand. putting it in as far as it goes without pain, it sticks out past the surface of my ear, hence, why I cut them down to size.

(I ruptured my eardrums twice as a child with infections, this may be playing a role)
It should not be painful. It may feel odd for the first few times, but pain tells me too far in. Mind you, some earplugs are made differently too. Plugs with a typical shape like this should fit inside the ear with little extrusion for most people (not all).

Ones shaped like these green ones though would have that entire wide 'flange' outside of your ear. I had a pair similar to these that were too long for me in one ear, but fit fine in the other, so I trimmed one per pair down a bit.

If you are trimming down ear plugs though, do it very little bit at a time until you find the length that works for your ear. Trimming too much will cause them to not function to their full potential.

Old August 15th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #17
dfox
ninjette.org sage

I always use tapered ended plugs. Again, I have ear issues, my ear and nose passages are very narrow compared to the average adult. I trim about 1/4-1/3 off of them, that provides perfect fit for me.

Old August 15th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #18
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Thank you for posting this!!!

Once you find the right ear plugs for you, you can wear them ALL day.

I took me several months of trial and error. Too bad I didn't know about this site that offers trial pairs.

The ones that work for me, are the Howard Leight Laser Lights. I bought a big box of them from Amazon for like $28....set for life pretty much
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i use these

Old August 15th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #20
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Thanks for the useful post OP. Admittedly, I have worn plugs a few times and hated them, however, I have noticed my hearing over the phone isn't as good as it once was before I started riding, so I do realize the importance of plugs. Everyone at the track who wears them says it makes you actually hear the bike better with plugs in. You've inspired me to try again and stick with it.

So for those of you who wear custom molded plugs, do you prefer those or the cheaper variety? I have a pair of Big Ear plugs I bought at the track, but they're not worth the $60+ they try to sell them for.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #21
saxnbass

Good custom molded plugs are the best, most comfortable plugs, in my opinion. They will fit perfectly, and be very comfortable, not snag or hang on anything, and are super quick no-hassle to put in. The only downside is the up front price.. or if you loose things all the time, the cost to buy another pair when you loose them.

Those mass produced "custom molded" things aren't the same. If they're not making a mold of your ear, it's not custom fitted and not worth the money.

Hope that helps you out Ally.

Old August 15th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #22
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

http://www.surefire.com/ep7-sonic-defenders-ultra.html

I use these. I have pretty bad tinnitus and hearing loss so I always use earplugs.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #23
Used Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Meh, my helmet has a lot of wind noise... it's a Shoei Multitec (It is quite heavy, too). I guess I should look into these. I'll try the disposables and see how they affect my hearing. Awesome post man.
Used Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #24
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

great post! i have ear buds that i have music playing over, does that help at all? the music isnt really loud or anything

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #25
Used Ninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
great post! i have ear buds that i have music playing over, does that help at all? the music isnt really loud or anything
Oh! I'd be interested in this... but more of a "how effective are noise cancelling earbuds at cancelling out noise" type of interest.

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #26
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Straight pipes on my 650= damage done lol

Ear plugs are so necessary

I use to run a saw that cuts vinyl at work. After a year it didn't hurt my ears anymore! Lol I can't hear a range of frequencies that it makes any longer :/

Lol I warned my older brother before I let him use the saw.

One cut and he found the ear muffs .

27 and I am asking people to repeat themselves.
Waitresses hate me lol

I can't tell people enough to protect their hearing it takes so much joy out of life when you cannot converse w people in a noises environment or hear the depth of music like you used too.
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #27
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post

I use to run a saw that cuts vinyl at work. After a year it didn't hurt my ears anymore! Lol I can't hear a range of frequencies that it makes any longer :/

Waitresses hate me lol

I can't tell people enough to protect their hearing it takes so much joy out of life when you cannot converse w people in a noises environment or hear the depth of music like you used too.
yeah some of the same problems here and im 27 as well, ive learned to read lips pretty well. it helps alot

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #28
Used Ninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post

Waitresses hate me lol

Wow that's awful ahhhh. I'm getting these earbuds right away.. I'm glad I read all of this.

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #29
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Yeah my gf always thinks I can read her lips when we are and about. I can't read lips period. Haha when she hand signals me its even funnier

I just nod a lot and when I answer stuff that doesn't make sense people have to deal lol
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #30
saxnbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
Just earbuds that sit on your ear (like the iPod ones)? No, those don't help. Actually, they add more noise, so really it's just doing more damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Ninja View Post
Oh! I'd be interested in this... but more of a "how effective are noise cancelling earbuds at cancelling out noise" type of interest.
Depends on how they cancel noise. If it's through isolation pads or isolation foam, then yes. Though most only attenuate by 5-7dB. Although better than nothing, it's not that great either. If, however, they're electronic noise canceling headphones, I highly advise against using those on the bike.

Old August 15th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #31
jnninja250r
Qtr Ltr

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

I've got a ton of the disposable orange plugs for the shooting range, but never really worn them riding, I've always been nervous that I wont be able to hear whats around me well enough. But from the sound of it, most of you find it better to ride with them. I'll give them a chance when I ride over the next few weeks.
jnninja250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #32
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnninja250r View Post
I've got a ton of the disposable orange plugs for the shooting range, but never really worn them riding, I've always been nervous that I wont be able to hear whats around me well enough. But from the sound of it, most of you find it better to ride with them. I'll give them a chance when I ride over the next few weeks.
lol thats why i have like 1000 count 3m ear plug boxes for.

Old August 15th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #33
Used Ninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Just earbuds that sit on your ear (like the iPod ones)? No, those don't help. Actually, they add more noise, so really it's just doing more damage.

Depends on how they cancel noise. If it's through isolation pads or isolation foam, then yes. Though most only attenuate by 5-7dB. Although better than nothing, it's not that great either. If, however, they're electronic noise canceling headphones, I highly advise against using those on the bike.
Hmm alright cool. I'm prepping myself for everything right now. I don't want to take any chances with my hearing. My bones can be replaced with cyborg parts! (jk)

Old August 16th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #34
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I'm 31, have come to terms with the damage I did formerly in life, an I'm def tryin to be easier on my bones... Even my ear bones thanks!!! Good read!

Oh p.s... Yea that means I say huh and again please a lot!!!

Old August 17th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #35
conrya5
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Metalic Island Blue Ninja 250r

I cannot ride without earplugs ever since I first used them.

I wear NRR 30 and my Sena Bluetooth has to be turned up all the way at speeds 55mph +.

Might try these out, Plug Phones
conrya5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #36
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Really useful post. I read through it. I've been unable to find my reusables, and have been dragging my feet on getting some replacements, but ended up grabbing some Hearos with a 33 NRR today.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #37
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Thanks for the useful post OP. Admittedly, I have worn plugs a few times and hated them, however, I have noticed my hearing over the phone isn't as good as it once was before I started riding, so I do realize the importance of plugs. Everyone at the track who wears them says it makes you actually hear the bike better with plugs in. You've inspired me to try again and stick with it.

So for those of you who wear custom molded plugs, do you prefer those or the cheaper variety? I have a pair of Big Ear plugs I bought at the track, but they're not worth the $60+ they try to sell them for.
Go to a gun show, they usually have a guy that makes them for $30.
They are molded from your ear directly, and are incredible at blocking sound.

Old August 17th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #38
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I always wear them. What I can't believe is that the cruiser guys on HDs around here ride on the highway with no helmet or plugs. I can't imagine how fried their ears must be when you get to where you're going.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #39
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
Go to a gun show, they usually have a guy that makes them for $30.
They are molded from your ear directly, and are incredible at blocking sound.
My Big Ear pair was molded the same way. They just don't stay in right sometimes and it's frustrating to deal with while riding. I'm going to just have to get used to them. Thanks for the suggestion!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #40
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

I've been wearing some cheaper ones I got from Harbor freight, rated for 29. Maybe I should be looking at some of the ones rated for 33....

Quote:
If, however, they're electronic noise canceling headphones, I highly advise against using those on the bike.
Explain, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnninja250r View Post
You can hear what's going on around you. Earplugs don't shut out noises, just make them quieter.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote