ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Talking First ride..... EVER!!

Ok, so other then as a passenger on a friend's bike about 9 years ago, the only time I've been on a bike was for the MSF course I took last summer to get my license. Well in Feb. I was able to get my little 94 ninjette, but of course the weather was not there for riding (at least not here in north eastern PA).

Well today the weather was clear and it got to the upper 50's - lower 60's in the area. With the forecast for the next 2 weeks being rather bleak you can imagine that all bikes were coming out for a day of fun. I was also not going to miss the action. My bike was being kept at friend's house in his shed with his dirt bikes since he had the space and I didn't at my apartment.

So I go over there with my gear in tow and we take it out of the shed and let her warm up. After she warmed up I took her out for my first time ever. My initial intentions were to just cruise the streets a bit for now, get a feel for the bike, nothing really big. Hehehe, yah right, who was I kidding.

Sure enough I get to like the second light and decided "screw it" and decided to take the alternate route I planned out to get back to my apartment without using the highways. Now remember, as a biker I've never ridden above the 20mph in the course. The route does call for a few miles at 55mph. Lemme tell ya, she had no issues getting to it in short order. Wow, what a feeling that is. At that speed you can feel the wind start to try and lift you off the bike, not harshly but just enough to remind you how exposed you are.

Ok, so after making it back to the apartment I stopped for a minutes to take a break and talk to my land lord (I'm gonna move to Orlando at the end of the month ) and put a sweatshirt on. Found out just how breathable the jacket I had really was (it's a Swift street riding mesh jacket with armor in it). So now I had a little more insulation on and decided to head back to my friend's house where I left my car.

Now for the part that surprised me. I got the nerve to face the highway at 70mph back to his place. Wow, is that a rush. Had no idea how much force you can feel against you, how much you can feel all the little lines and groves in the road. So I made it back to his place in one piece and we talk for a bit. He asks if I'm ready to put it back in the shed (stupid storms coming in tomorrow). I asked what time it was and figured about another hour and a half till it started to get dark (when it would be too chilly for my taste). So off I went again to just ride. I went down the same path to start off for my place, then turned down into downtown Scranton past the Steamtown Mall and then just went back out into the country a bit.

In the end I put on about 68 miles for my first ever ride on my ninjette. I found out that the mosquitoes are out already. Thank god for a full face helmet lol.

Sadly the weather forecast for the rest of the month for this area is dismal, lots of days with rain, low temps, one or two days with a mix of rain/snow or rain/ice and MAYBE a couple days that are clear and in the upper 40's. Bleh.

However, I'm moving to Orlando Florida at the end of the month to live with a friend and work down there. The ninjette is most definitely coming with me and will get a work out down there for sure.

As you can tell I'm excited and love the ninjette. Feel free to share your first ever ride if you feel like. Oh, and sorry I have no pics to share, the only camera I have is on my phone and I didn't really stop anywhere showy (not to mention the camera on the phone isn't all that great lol). Sorry the post is so long, didn't realize how much I wrote till I previewed it lol.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Congrats on your first ride!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #3
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Congrats!!! Sounds just like my first ride...only it was cut short because i tried it out in the morning and then had to go to school....that was a looong day
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #4
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Great feeling isn't it?! The best part, though, is that the feeling never goes away
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #5
sombo

Oh the feeling was awesome. To make it better all the other bikers I passed waved. Either I would wave and they would return the wave or they would wave and I would return theirs. Such a great feeling to feel like an accepted part of a 'unique' society.

Old April 5th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

congrats man. sounds like you had a great day! wait til you find a windy road!!!
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #7
ahskeetz
ninjette.org member

Name: Wen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r

congratz man i'm in state college PA and the weather was definitely nice today!

Old April 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #8
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

so happy you had a good time

Old April 5th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #9
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R, 2001 996

That is awesome! Congrats on ninjette love.
Lurkable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #10
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

ahh yes...
the ninjette has given birth to yet another motorcyclist...

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #11
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

Fun stuff. Be careful
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #12
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Yay!! Congrats on your first ride!

Old April 6th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #13
RMLegacy
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 07 250R

Congrats on the first ride!!
RMLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #14
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

your wanting to be on your bike will be on your mind all the time now, consider it like a significant other now :P
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #15
azia
ninjette.org member

Name: Lindsay

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

congratulations! soon those 68 miles will turn into 6800 miles!!!
azia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #16
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Congratulations - I think we all love to hear stories like yours so we can remember our first ride and relive the same feelings. Pictures when you can so we can share even more.

Old April 6th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #17
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Cool! It sounds like your first "real" ride was "All good!" That's awesome!

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #18
hieuster
ninjette.org member

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Congrats on your first ride! It's going to get very addicting afterwards and you're going to keep on wanting to ride hehe. Any pics of the ninjette?
hieuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #19
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieuster View Post
Congrats on your first ride! It's going to get very addicting afterwards and you're going to keep on wanting to ride hehe. Any pics of the ninjette?
Sadly not yet cause I don't actually own a camera other then the worthless pathetic thing on my phone.

Maybe before I move to Florida I can borrow my dad's digital camera and take a few pics of it.

Old April 6th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #20
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

CONGRATS... I am so happy for you. Seriously, riding is such an amazing FEELING!
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote