ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 1st, 2016, 08:48 PM   #1
Oren09
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): 1994 EX250, 2012 FZ1

Carbs Overflow

Hello all,

I am having a bit of a carb issue. Here's some backstory:

I bought a 1994 EX250 for a cheap project just to see if I could get it to run.
Started with no spark on one coil and that was resolved with a new CDI. Then I was only getting combustion on one cylinder, but on both with some carb cleaner sprayed into the airbox.
I took the carbs apart for a rebuild and found molasses in the bowl of the cylinder that wasn't firing. No surprise.

Today I reassembled the carbs and installed them on the bike. I love doing carbs on this machine vs an 89 Ninja 750 I used to have.
I'm using an auxiliary tank hanging from the ceiling to supply fuel; not the bike's gas tank. The bike fired up and ran, but wouldn't idle. May just need adjustment. I didn't get enough time to mess with that because gas started flowing out of the carbs. I suspected float valves and pulled the carbs, opened them up, and adjusted the floats lower. After putting the carbs back on, they still overflow. A strong and steady stream from the overflow tube. I thought maybe my tank was putting out too much pressure due to gravity but the carbs still leak even with the tank at their level.

I've now had the bowls off checking the floats, valves, seats, etc several times. I am out of ideas. The valves are new from the rebuild kit and look just like the old ones.
Oren09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2016, 09:11 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Austin!

Hmmm, seems you have checked all the baseline stuff already. Maybe someone else will have another idea.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2016, 09:43 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren09 View Post
.......... The valves are new from the rebuild kit and look just like the old ones.
Welcome, Austin !!!

If the float valves are new (soft rubber tip), the seats are still dirty.

The height of the floats must be kept at factory specs: 17 mm measured from the edge at close to vertical position.

If oil gets contaminated with the overflowing gas via the intake valves, you must replace the oil to prevent damage to the main bearings.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 1st, 2016, 09:55 PM   #4
Sarge1992
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Make sure the rubber tip isn't stuck on the seat, when I ripped mine apart the rubber tip fell off the old float and was sticking to the seat.
Sarge1992 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2016, 09:59 PM   #5
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
To narrow down which one is leaking, do the following.

Remove carbs
Remove bowls
Hold carbs upside down
Attach CLEAN hose to fuel pipe and blow into it
You should not have air coming from the needle valves. If you do...you'll know which one is leaking.
Seats are probably dirty as previously mentioned.
RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2016, 10:31 AM   #6
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

I had a problem where with brand new float seals, properly adjusted floats, and new boat seals it still overflowed, I shaked the bike around a little (carbs full of gas) and it stopped leaking. I think that the floats just bined up.

Old February 3rd, 2016, 10:31 AM   #7
Oren09
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the replies guys.

I haven't had time to further troubleshoot but hopefully today or tomorrow.

I forgot to mention that I also adjusted the valves while waiting for the carb rebuild kits. All of the valve clearances were way tight with the engine at 25K miles.

Old February 8th, 2016, 09:08 PM   #8
Oren09
ninjette.org newbie

I was finally able to mess with the carbs again.

I checked the float valves by blowing through with the carbs upside down and sure enough they were leaking.

I cleaned the seats, tested again, and no leaks. I guess I just didn't get the seats clean enough the first time.

The bike runs pretty good but while setting the idle mixture screw (bike was hanging revs after giving it gas) the starter decided to die.

I disassembled the starter and the magnets came out stuck to the armature along with massive amounts of carbon. The body was rusty inside as well.
I have a new used starter en route.

Old February 8th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #9
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
I was finally able to mess with the carbs again.

I checked the float valves by blowing through with the carbs upside down and sure enough they were leaking.

I cleaned the seats, tested again, and no leaks. I guess I just didn't get the seats clean enough the first time.

The bike runs pretty good but while setting the idle mixture screw (bike was hanging revs after giving it gas) the starter decided to die.

I disassembled the starter and the magnets came out stuck to the armature along with massive amounts of carbon. The body was rusty inside as well.
I have a new used starter en route.
Good job!!

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2016, 09:33 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:

I cleaned the seats, tested again, and no leaks........
Did you adjust the height of the floats?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote