ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:00 AM   #1
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

racing leathers sizing advice needed

I am prepping for my first track day at the end of the month. I currently own a A* GP-R leather jacket and the easiest/cheapest way for me would be to get a pair of A* leather race pants. However I am wavering between a one piece suit as well, so I need some sizing advice and whether a 1 piece is better or a 2 piece or does it not matter at all.

I am 5'5", 30" waist, 30" seam, 38" chest, and 160 lbs. According to this chart I should be a 44 Euro for A* race pants. And a 36 Euro for 1 piece suit. Can anyone who has A* race leather pants or 1 piece, comment on how they fit compared to the sizing chart? Also if you see any good deals (under $700) on other quality 1 piece suits, let me know. Thanks!
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:08 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I just got my A* track pants. US 32 size, I wear a 33 blue jean, so the fit is a little tight around waist and calf.

Seems to be 1 for 1 for US sizes. A* size 32 = 32 blue jean. Buy a size or two larger for your under armor or padded undergarments.

I don't have a one piece so can comment there.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:53 AM   #3
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

How does the length of the pants fit and compare with your normal jeans? Does the knee pads line up with your knees?

Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:59 AM   #4
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I perfer the 2 piece zip together suits.
If my body changes i can switch out the piece that doesnt fit.
As stated in other threads I suggest you goto a store and try on a few brands. Then you can shop for the best deal with the proper size.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:37 PM   #5
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_turbo View Post
How does the length of the pants fit and compare with your normal jeans? Does the knee pads line up with your knees?
Lor, I have about the same inseam you do. All A* pants have stupid long inseams. I tried some on at my cycle gear and the knee armor were at my shins. They were also sized a bit smaller than I preferred. I wear a 36 in jeans, so according to the chart, a 54 should have fit, but I had a ton of trouble getting them on. I got them to fit, but probably wouldn't try it again. Best thing to do is find pants you like and then find a tailor who can work with leather or who can point you to one that can.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:34 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_turbo View Post
Length is way short compared to jeans, but the knee pads and shin gaurds line up just fine. The come to just above my ankle. The pucks attach via velcro so you have some play. There would be no way to get the legs over the boots like some others like. Would be way to tight.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:34 PM   #7
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

o man, i tried my buddies one pc A* suit, size 38 us. man that was incredibly tight, my arms were like stuck at the sides. i think for sure a 2 piece suit now. i will have to shop around at my local bike shops to see if they have any to try on before i buy. thanks for the responses guys!

Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:05 PM   #8
shiroganeshinobi
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE

I'd would say RS taichi would be the best fit with minimum alterations. However, if your budget is $700 getting their 1 piece suit might be out of your price range since it's double your budget. However, if you get the GMX motion jacket/pants, it'll be slightly over budget but you would have a solid start. They also have a limited edition black/green run going so you would have to act fast if you want those colors.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=11493
http://pro1.rs-taichi.com/product/RSY822.html
shiroganeshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:55 AM   #9
Pete22x
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '09 SE GREEN 250

Hey, I've got an alpinestars stunt leather, it is 38 US/ 48 EURO, it's a pretty aggressive fit, it's almost too small for everyday wear.

I am about 5'7'' 145lbs with a 37-38'' chest. I wear 31/30 levi's that aren't too baggy. (relaxed fit).

I don't know about track suit sizing.. but my guess is that 36 euro would be way too small for you.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:40 AM   #10
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
If you go with a 2 piece, make sure they can zip together with your jacket.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:55 PM   #11
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

I just picked up a A* Trigger 1 PC Suit the "short" version. 2" shorter in the legs, and 1" shorter in the torso then the standard suit. After trying on my buddies 48 Euro/ 38 US, it was definitely too restricting in the upper body. So I decided to get a 50 Euro/40 US. The standard one has a 34" seam, but the short version brings it back to 32" just like a 48/38. So hopefully it fits good. I'll post back when I get it for future reference for someone. Best of all I got a KILLER deal, it was brand new thru ridersdiscount!

Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:57 PM   #12
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

awesome. Let us know how you like it.

Old August 6th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #13
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

i got my leather suit in today. first the quality of the suit is excellent, for the price. the leather feels great and the suit looks very nice.

as for fit, the knee pads and elbow pads are in the right places. fits snug around my calves, i don't have very big calves, but people who do would probably have problems. chest area feels good, plenty of room to breathe. i haven't tried wearing a back protector or protecting vest with it yet. so i will have to give that a try and see how it would feel. the arm and legs terminate at the right length.

there is only one problem that i have, that is i can't stand straight up. the suit fights against me in the crotch area. if i had like 1/2" more i could stand straight up no problem. so if you are taller than 5'5", you should probably get a longer inseam suit if you want to be able to walk around in it without hunching your back. i do walk around with a slight hunchback normally anyways, so i can live with it. also maybe possible that after breaking in the suit, it will stretch that extra 1/2" for me. in the riding position the suit feels great, plenty of movement and no body restrictions any where. overall i am satisfied with the initial fitment and review.

on a side note: it's extremely difficult to get out of these 1 pc suits by yourself. i was wriggling like crazy to get the suit off my shoulders. kinda like a straight jacket. hopefully it gets easier as the suit breaks in.