ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 7th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #1
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

pregen 250 idiot light lenses

Most of the pregens I've seen have red, yellow, green, blue idiot lights (oil, turn, neutral, hi-beam). my old 250 had that. My 06 that I have now doesn't. It has 2 green ones, a red and a blue. I'd prefer to have a yellow turn signal indicator if at all possible.

Does anybody know if there's any place to buy one of these? Either the set of 4 lenses or individually.

On a side note... where would be a good place to start reading up on white gauge faces?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0307142232.jpg (71.1 KB, 3 views)
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 01:56 AM   #2
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

lemme see what i can do for someone else from team blue

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 02:08 AM   #3
komohana

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

from what i'm seeing so far the yellow turn signal lenses are on instrument clusters from '02 through '05. by '07 they're green. cant find the replacement lenses in that color, unfortunately the next higher assembly is the inst. cluster.

Old March 8th, 2014, 02:11 AM   #4
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post
from what i'm seeing so far the yellow turn signal lenses are on instrument clusters from '02 through '05. by '07 they're green. cant find the replacement lenses in that color, unfortunately the next higher assembly is the inst. cluster.
That's what I was afraid of. Best I could find was the casing for the cluster, but that was still like $40. Well, it's not the end of the world.

Old March 8th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #5
komohana

yeah...i'll keep looking though
the white faced instruments would look good..i've never seen them for pregens, but then i never lookd specifically FOR those...letcha know if there's anything .. worth knowing hehe

aloha

Old March 8th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan3guy View Post
...........On a side note... where would be a good place to start reading up on white gauge faces?
http://forums.ninja250.org/posting.p...ew&t=87403&tro
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #7
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
On a side note... where would be a good place to start reading up on white gauge faces?
I got mine on eBay. I didn't like the one for the temp gauge, so I stuck with the black one. Basically they're just faces printed onto photo paper that overlays onto your speedo faces. I also found it was easier to see if I painted the needles orange. White needles on white faces at night are hard to see, especially because with the white faces, light only comes from around the edges, not through the hashmarks.

looks like this. I also have green LED backlighting on my gauges:

and when I took off the temp gauge part. I like the asymmetry now.

hope this helps a little. I've never seen green turn signal lenses before. way to go Kawi.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:26 PM   #8
komohana

they DO look good!

Old March 8th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #9
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I got mine on eBay. I didn't like the one for the temp gauge, so I stuck with the black one. Basically they're just faces printed onto photo paper that overlays onto your speedo faces. I also found it was easier to see if I painted the needles orange. White needles on white faces at night are hard to see, especially because with the white faces, light only comes from around the edges, not through the hashmarks.

looks like this. I also have green LED backlighting on my gauges:
[awesome picture]

and when I took off the temp gauge part. I like the asymmetry now.
[another awesome picture]

hope this helps a little. I've never seen green turn signal lenses before. way to go Kawi.
Those definitely look fantastic, especially with the green backlighting. I've got a set of blue led bulbs on the way from amazon, but the black gauges just don't quite do it for me.

I'm thinking that it might just be a misprint, somehow. I've seen 05-07 bikes with both green and yellow on them. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I can't seem to find the ebay posting he made, but I'll shoot him an email and see if he's still doing them. I'll have to get a paypal set up.

Also, I think I need one of these now:

Old March 8th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
I can't seem to find the ebay posting he made, but I'll shoot him an email and see if he's still doing them. I'll have to get a paypal set up.

Also, I think I need one of these now:
I believe that correction to the speedometer reading error was included in some of these versions, except in the one you need.

Yes, my 2007 has the green arrows.
However, I never look at that indicator or can see it from my normal helmet position, as I am a compulsive bottom-pusher to center it back just in case it is still blinking.

I may push that thing like three times after I complete each corner or each change of lane.
Few things are more dangerous than signaling moves that will never happen.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #11
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
There must be something wrong with me, because I've never really cared much about indicator lens color, instrument lighting color, or gauge face color. But it would seem to me that white instrument faces, although being cool looking in daylight, would be distractingly bright for night riding.

But installing new instrument faces could be a great opportunity to correct speedo errors!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
But it would seem to me that white instrument faces, although being cool looking in daylight, would be distractingly bright for night riding
Actually the opposite. They're obnoxious when you have direct sunlight over your shoulder and it reflects back at your face. At night time, they're less bright because the backlighting only comes from the edges, rather than through the translucent hash marks and numbers on the stock faces. But the overall effect is a soft even glow because the edge lighting lights the whole white face evenly.

The dark picture I posted was with the camera doing a long exposure on night mode.

I want to try black light LED's so the whole white face glows a bright purplish-blue.

Old March 8th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #13
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I believe that correction to the speedometer reading error was included in some of these versions, except in the one you need.

Yes, my 2007 has the green arrows.
However, I never look at that indicator or can see it from my normal helmet position, as I am a compulsive bottom-pusher to center it back just in case it is still blinking.

I may push that thing like three times after I complete each corner or each change of lane.
Few things are more dangerous than signaling moves that will never happen.
I'm a compulsive button-pusher, too. Problem is, I don't really go very much farther than just outside town, and I'm usually out and about during daytime, so it's abundantly clear that there's something off about the lens.

@ cars who leave their signals on for miles, while I'm sitting there waiting for them to change lanes. it should be MORE apparent inside a car, with that annoying as all heck clicker clicking away at you when the turn signal's on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Actually the opposite. They're obnoxious when you have direct sunlight over your shoulder and it reflects back at your face. At night time, they're less bright because the backlighting only comes from the edges, rather than through the translucent hash marks and numbers on the stock faces. But the overall effect is a soft even glow because the edge lighting lights the whole white face evenly.

The dark picture I posted was with the camera doing a long exposure on night mode.

I want to try black light LED's so the whole white face glows a bright purplish-blue.
That might be a fun project to do. I know that there's a company called Phobya that does uv led solutions for computers, but I think it'd be pretty easy to adapt that to 12v somehow.

Edit: here we go. Linky link Waterproof, shock-resistant, but molex connector.

Also, didn't you do a thread on how you changed your bike's gauge faces? I was looking for it earlier but I couldn't find it anywhere

Old March 9th, 2014, 06:30 AM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Here you go. Two pages of me babbling about my gauge faces.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94562

Old June 28th, 2014, 05:38 AM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Not the cheapest way:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-New-Kawa...4c6ba4&vxp=mtr
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #16
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
If you're a stickler for details, you'll notice the older ones (the eBay link above) have words on the indicators, while the newer ones (the OP's pic) have pictograms. At least you could switch all of the lenses, so they'd match each other.

That's exactly the reason I spent $50 to buy another replacement left control that had different printing on it (first mod, final + stocker).

FYI, it looks like the EX500 had yellow turn signal lenses with words for the early years, then later switched to green and pictograms as well.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #17
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

I'd hardly call an oil light an "idiot" light.

Old June 28th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #18
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Most of the pregens I've seen have red, yellow, green, blue idiot lights (oil, turn, neutral, hi-beam). my old 250 had that. My 06 that I have now doesn't. It has 2 green ones, a red and a blue. I'd prefer to have a yellow turn signal indicator if at all possible.

Does anybody know if there's any place to buy one of these? Either the set of 4 lenses or individually.

Is this what you are look for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250 lights.jpg (101.4 KB, 0 views)

Old June 28th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #19
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

If so PM fishdick with your address and I will drop them in the mail for free.

Old June 28th, 2014, 12:58 PM   #20
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
Is this what you are look for?
Those should be the ones he's talking about. IMO seeing orange/yellow blinking is a lot better than seeing the green one because it feels like its the neutral light. Lol