ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 5th, 2011, 05:34 AM   #1
noob1220
ninjette.org member

Name: Valerie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE White

Unhappy at least it wasn't MY bike, right?

So, I had my MSF course this past weekend, got a 100 on the written test and killed it during the range days. I was shocked at how well I had done considering I really don't have much experience riding. I do need work on the U-turn box/figure 8 but it wasn't that bad. Skip to the actual skills test part - I'm doing fine, aceing the test, we get to the quick stop part. I've been doing this consistently well for the last two days but my nerves get the best of me and I lock up the front brakes and drop the bike. Instant fail. I don't think I've ever been so mad at myself in my entire life. I felt so stupid and ashamed, it was ridiculous. My confidence is shot and now I'm questioning my decision to even get my license. My husband was one of three people to get a perfect score on the skills test, so for now, I'll just be a passenger. I know this is a terrible attitude to have, and eventually I'll get over it, but damn. I was doing so well, and this was one of the easier parts of the test and I drop the farking bike.

All hope is not lost though I guess, because when we got home I moped around for a few minutes and thought "Eff it" and went out and hopped on our bike and rode around our development roads for a half hour. I got the nerve to head out on the main road (50mph) and it scared the hell out of me. I think I was having flashbacks to earlier in the day and was convinced I was going to wreck, so I went home.

Today, my left leg hurts like I pulled something and my right leg is covered in bruises. I must have hit something when I fell. I guess the basic jist of this post was just so I could rant and get it off my chest to people that have been there before and might know what I'm going through. So for now, I'll heal and wallow in my self pity until the instructor calls me back to retake the last range day. *sigh*

Thanks for listening.
noob1220 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #2
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

Don't let it get you down. Locking the front brake is common for new riders especially in a panic situation (like approaching the line for the quick stop test). You have to develop your "gradual squeeze" when applying the brake. It's a common scene for new riders to go down doing that. If you just snatch it and pull you will lock it easily. It's like shooting a gun. Smooth, controlled SQUEEZE, never PULL the trigger. Glad you're alright, though. Learn from it, but don't be afraid of your front brake.

I use to have a problem with pulling the front brake as well, my "cure" was to get a firm stress ball and practice my squeeze with gradual pressure. You'd be amazed how far back you can pull that brake lever without locking it.

Don't over think it when you retake the test. All they want to see is a controlled stop within a certain distance.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Dont sweat it just retake the class and you should be fine. i think the quick stop is the most important part of the skills test. Almost every day I read about some one having an accident that a quick stop would have helped. Not sure about pa but the msf class instructors were a joke people who never should have passed passed with a good score. I passed with 100 on both test's but when a guy who cant stop at all passes it makes me wonder who in there right mind will send them out there on the road.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #4
noob1220
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJ View Post
Don't let it get you down. Locking the front brake is common for new riders especially in a panic situation (like approaching the line for the quick stop test). You have to develop your "gradual squeeze" when applying the brake. It's a common scene for new riders to go down doing that. If you just snatch it and pull you will lock it easily. It's like shooting a gun. Smooth, controlled SQUEEZE, never PULL the trigger. Glad you're alright, though. Learn from it, but don't be afraid of your front brake.

I use to have a problem with pulling the front brake as well, my "cure" was to get a firm stress ball and practice my squeeze with gradual pressure. You'd be amazed how far back you can pull that brake lever without locking it.

Don't over think it when you retake the test. All they want to see is a controlled stop within a certain distance.
Thanks for the encouragement. I know I was definitely overthinking it, because I had been doing fine all weekend but when the pressure was on I flubbed it. I'm going to continue practicing. As a side note, when I was griping to my father, he claims that he rarely, close to never, uses his front brake, citing that "It'll getcha every time." He rides a VStar and has been riding for the last 40+ years. I take what he says with a grain of salt, because the front brake is there for a reason, right? I mean, I'm sure it's plenty reliable if you're using it properly.

Quote:
Dont sweat it just retake the class and you should be fine. i think the quick stop is the most important part of the skills test. Almost every day I read about some one having an accident that a quick stop would have helped. Not sure about pa but the msf class instructors were a joke people who never should have passed passed with a good score. I passed with 100 on both test's but when a guy who cant stop at all passes it makes me wonder who in there right mind will send them out there on the road.
I hear ya. Our instructors were nice, friendly, but tough. There was one girl there that had issues with EVERYTHING. She did not pass. Though there was also a guy there that claimed to have been riding dirt bikes since he was 8 and had a nasty wreck on his Ninja about 6 years ago and is finally healed enough to be able to ride again; I have no idea how he passed. He did fine I guess but the man couldn't follow instructions to save his life and made the instructors turn the cones upward because he couldn't see them (blind in his right eye as a result of the accident). He kind of scared me.

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

I'm about to take the highest msf class you can and to be honest I'm scared but for 25 bucks I'm gonna jump on that deal.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #6
clintalmighty
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob1220 View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I know I was definitely overthinking it, because I had been doing fine all weekend but when the pressure was on I flubbed it. I'm going to continue practicing. As a side note, when I was griping to my father, he claims that he rarely, close to never, uses his front brake, citing that "It'll getcha every time." He rides a VStar and has been riding for the last 40+ years. I take what he says with a grain of salt, because the front brake is there for a reason, right? I mean, I'm sure it's plenty reliable if you're using it properly.
that's pretty nuts, your front brake is like 75% of your stopping power. I will admit I never use the rear brake anymore, unless at low speeds or coming to a stop at a curved intersection/right turn lane thing. It locks up way too easily because all the weight shifts to the front of the bike, and the gradual application process can be difficult to get a feel for in boots. Sometimes I like to try to do a ride using only the rear brake, but it requires you to plan your actions/slowing process way in advance

Keep your head up and keep practicing! You will get it
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
he claims that he rarely, close to never, uses his front brake, citing that "It'll getcha every time." He rides a VStar and has been riding for the last 40+ years.
the front will get you every time? seems a little bit... completely backwards to me. but i don't ride cruisers

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #8
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

Doesn't matter what kind of bike you have. If you pull the brake quickly like you're stomping on the brake peddle in a car, it's going to lock up. The only way to avoid this is learn how to squeeze your front brake. Or get a bike with ABS. The ABS option still has potential to drop your bike, since when it pulses you can easily get caught by surprise, make a bad move and spill.

Being aware of your surrounding and being a attentive, good rider in general will eliminate the majority of your need to panic brake. Nearly all situations that require hard braking can be avoided with good riding skills.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #9
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

If I may suggest: spend a little time to work on those things that were a problem for you and then they won't be, unless you let them. Practice your panic stops and then re-take.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #10
noob1220
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducducgooseit View Post
If I may suggest: spend a little time to work on those things that were a problem for you and then they won't be, unless you let them. Practice your panic stops and then re-take.
The only issue with practicing my panic stops is I fear a repeat crash and burn, and if I did that on our bike, my husband would flip. But hey, you gotta learn somehow, right? I'm hoping to get back into the course for a retake ASAP. I wouldn't mind doing the entire course over again.

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #11
kkim

wait, first things first... do you still want to ride? I encourage you to ride, but if your confidence level is low and fear is overwhelming you, perhaps now is not the time. Take a break, if you need to.

You need to regain and build that desire to ride so that it becomes greater than your fear of crashing. Once you do that, you can refocus your mindset to improve your riding skills and become a better rider. It happens to all of us after we crash.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #12
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

when i was taking my MSF class the same thing happened to one of the other students in the class. He was an older gentlemen and he had been riding for a while and decided recently to get his license. He was doing fantastic all through out the class until the test time, he actually locked up his bike and went tumbling down towards the left.

during the same class, the instructor actually locked up his bike too and fell too during the demonstration. So don't feel bad, it happens to everyone.

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #13
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement. I know I was definitely overthinking it, because I had been doing fine all weekend but when the pressure was on I flubbed it. I'm going to continue practicing. As a side note, when I was griping to my father, he claims that he rarely, close to never, uses his front brake, citing that "It'll getcha every time." He rides a VStar and has been riding for the last 40+ years. I take what he says with a grain of salt, because the front brake is there for a reason, right?
he's just an old timer with the old school mentality, which came about because of drum brakes back in the day...
Its how I was taught and when I got my Ninja I wore out the rear brakes in less than 6k miles...then the dealer asked me what the hell I was doing and that most of my braking should be done with the front. I'm over 20k miles now and haven't had to change em since.
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #14
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
This time, don't listen to dad. It is my understanding that 30 years ago, this fear of the front brake was the norm, however, on modern day bikes the front brake is a must, even more important than the rear, particularly on sport bikes! Pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It's an easy read loaded with very good information. If you still want to ride, try again after reading the book. Give yourself a few days/weeks of learning all that you can, and then go for it again! Good luck!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
kkim is spot on again.

Riding is very mental. Don't ride if you don't have the mindset to ride well.

On a side note, don't feel bad about dropping the bike. Not yours, so what, that is what they are there for. To support you in learning and if that means dropping it, so bet it. Better to drop there safely, than to drop it at higher speeds on the street where you could hurt worse than some bruised pride. They are machines, machines can be fixed or replaced. Trust me, they have that in the budget.

Also, be glad you dropped it there under pressure. Let's see, your going to fall into one of three big categories on the streets. "It was a total surprise", "I cracked under pressure" or "crap, I was being stupid" and made a mistake. Again, that is what the MSF is for. As a new rider, it will help you find your initial limits and help make them better.

Don't sweat it, that bike will be 100% ready for the next MSF class rider. Maybe it will be you! Best wishes in continued riding.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote