ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 11th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

My 2006 2fiddy Rebuild

Well I crashed on December 31st, 2011. Yup, New Years Eve. What a way to end the year! Quick summary on that: I went on a ride with two friends right when I got off work. It was probably around 5 by the time we got to the backroads. After about an hour of riding we started to head back because it was getting dark and there was probably gonna be a lot of drunk drivers out that night. So on one of the last turns leaving the backroads to go back to the city I went flying into a turn too hot. I was being stupid and thought I knew the turn better than I did. Oh and it was dark and I may have been out riding my headlight, so there I was leaning into the turn then the next thing I saw was a bush ahead. So I tried to lean more but it was too late. The next thing I remember was be tossed and tumbled into a small ditch. I walked away with only a few bruises and a headache. But the bike was in much worse condition. I learned my lesson and will hopefully never ride like such an idiot again. Anywho, the bike wouldn't start so I called my brother and we tossed it in the back of his truck.

BEFORE THE CRASH! I loved her the way she was and was so happy to have a beautiful shiny bike!

AFTER THE CRASH!

The bike had a few issues after that. Forks were bent. Triple trees were bend. Handlebars were bend. Fairings shattered. Gauges broken. Bent left handlebar. And I later discovered the frame was bent. ---> http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97450

A couple weeks ago I drove up to Kentucky to buy a used frame that was in purty good shape. And it was straight!

So that brings me to this past weekend. I swapped everything from my bike onto this new frame!

Couple centimeters of greasy crap on the sprocket cover!

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY KAWASAKI PURPOSELY BENT THE SWING ARM??

While the rear wheel was off I said, Hey why not shim the cush!

Looks good to me!

The scissors were the only thing keeping the engine from tipping over.

Mostly together...

And she started right up on the first attempt! I was excited that I successfully took apart my whole bike then put it back together flawlessly.

That's all for now! The bike rides straight now and is safe to ride! I just need to get it registered and insured.

And lots of other little things. I will keep updating this as I get the bike more together. I am also painting the tank and panels behind the tank white. And am going to have a 7 inch bucket headlight (which I already have).

It is a project but it is finally coming together! Stay tuned!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Holy balls what a project!!!
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #3
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Looking great! Keep the airbox out since it's out already

you going to bondo and sand over the holes in the tank or make shrouds out of what's left of the fairing?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Looking great! Keep the airbox out since it's out already

you going to bondo and sand over the holes in the tank or make shrouds out of what's left of the fairing?
The airbox is back in! I don't get why people have trouble removing the airbox. All you gotta do is remove half the bike to get it out.

And I am just planning on keeping the airbox and exhaust stock. I have no issues or see the need to change either. I like it the way it is.

And I am planning on the bondo route. I cut out 'shrouds' from the fairing and put them up to the bike but it just didn't look good. I think the bondo method looks cleaner.

I need to get this thing registered and insured but gotsta wait until my next paycheck. I have been riding it just around the neighborhood to keep the motor in tip top shape and trying to burn up gas. The tank is almost full and I need it close to empty so I can start sanding it down and cutting of those fairing mounts. Then bondo and paint it!

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #5
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah I know. I had mine out to cut off the battery box. Not that hard... I was more suggesting you go to pods while you're at it.

At least open the intake lid like I did and test out a larger jet your mid-range will love you with responsiveness and ear-gasms

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Jono

Quote:
Yeah I know. I had mine out to cut off the battery box. Not that hard... I was more suggesting you go to pods while you're at it.

At least open the intake lid like I did and test out a larger jet your mid-range will love you with responsiveness and ear-gasms
Ehh. I don't have money to throw around right now other wise I may have thought about going to pods. I may mess with it sometime. Just don't ride in the mid range.

I gotta ask. What is the point of cutting the battery box off. Cause I was helping my friend remove his carbs a couple weeks back and we removed the box by just taking all the screws out and popping it apart and sliding it up. So does the battery box mod allow you to take the airbox out without removing those screws or what?

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Normally the battery box is part of the airbox, and you can't slide the airbox back very far to get the carbs out without loosening the bolts on the undertail and/or splitting the airbox in 2 parts like you did.

Separating the battery box from the airbox means that you can take the battery box out by only removing 2 bolts (under the battery) and then you like like 3 inches to slide the airbox back. soooo you have tons of space to then remove/install the carbs. Removing the carbs becomes a process of disconnect cables/hoses, remove two bolts, pull carbs. Almost as easy as a pod filter.

check out the space exploring/carolina has after he removes the battery box:

EDIT: this is why I decided to just mod my intake lid, and rejet without going to a pod filter. This is so much easier, and I don't have to worry about the carbs vibrating off the boots or anything like that. Not to mention, I'm still pushing like 57 mpg with riding. With a pod filter and likely 110 or 112 main jets, it would be worse. Plus, I don't have a breather to buy/maintain, I can still use an oem air filter that I know is effective, and I still get great throttle response for a 250. I'm going to try and re-open those #70 holes in my slides for even better response; I've heard that I can get rid of the issues I was having with a richer midrange.

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #8
Jono

Ahh gotcha! Now that makes sense. I will have to do that to my airbox when I remove the swingarm to swap it with the one I am going to paint black. But have really never had a problem with my carbs but I guess it would still be nice to do just in-case. Especially if I start messing with jetting and all that.

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
do it!!! intake lid as well!!! carbs are fun

Old April 12th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #10
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

When you got the new frame, did you remember to swap the VIN # to the correct one to match your bike title?

If not, you can get a VIN renumbering kit here.

Old April 12th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #11
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
When you got the new frame, did you remember to swap the VIN # to the correct one to match your bike title?

If not, you can get a VIN renumbering kit here.
Well the new frame came with a title so I was just going to re-title it and get insurance. I mean mine was up in a couple months anyways. I wanted to be legal.

But now that you showed me that stamping set I am tempted to just do that. 20 bucks vs +200 bucks. Mmmhm. What should I do? Do police actually check the steering stem vin when you get pulled over?

Old April 12th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I doubt it. Last time I was pulled over, they just checked my paperwork.

But get the official titling stuff done and whatnot. Keep your ducks in a row. It will make selling it so much easier down the road if/when you ever decide to sell the ninjette.

Old April 12th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #13
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Well the new frame came with a title so I was just going to re-title it and get insurance. I mean mine was up in a couple months anyways. I wanted to be legal.

But now that you showed me that stamping set I am tempted to just do that. 20 bucks vs +200 bucks. Mmmhm. What should I do? Do police actually check the steering stem vin when you get pulled over?
Possibly, but I've never seen them do that. As long as you legally purchased both items, I don't see that doing that is wrong. Also, you need to destroy the original frame numbers so that frame can't be used again.

Old April 12th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #14
Jono

Quote:
Possibly, but I've never seen them do that. As long as you legally purchased both items, I don't see that doing that is wrong. Also, you need to destroy the original frame numbers so that frame can't be used again.

Alright. I will think about it. And not let the internet world know what I did. You know for legal reasons. And if I do this I will be sure to destroy the original frames VIN. And the VIN that is on the new frame.

Old April 12th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #15
n4mwd

Quote:
Alright. I will think about it. And not let the internet world know what I did. You know for legal reasons. And if I do this I will be sure to destroy the original frames VIN. And the VIN that is on the new frame.

Another thing that you could do is practice on the old frame. That way you are less likely to mess up the good one. Just keep both titles in case there are any questions later.

Old April 12th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #16
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Just keep both titles in case there are any questions later.
heck, why not just keep the old frame and the title for the old frame as well? Then just cancel the insurance on the old frame, and don't re-register it ever. Register the new frame, and legally swap the license plate to it. That way there's really no questions later on.

I'm not a fan of trying to pull the wool over the gov't's eyes when it can really come back to bite me later on... if it's not registered to you, and not insured to you, that could put you in jail for a while/uninsured at the least.

Old April 12th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #17
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Renumbering a frame's VIN sounds like a terrible idea.
You'd be screwed if your bike ever gets totaled or stolen.

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #18
n4mwd

If you swap titles and pay the $200 transfer fee, you are also assuming any baggage that comes with the new frame. Most likely, its from a totaled bike and that is on record somewhere. Carfax maybe? It might even be a salvage title which is the worst. The absolute worst case is if their turns out to be a delinquent bank loan on the donor bike and they come and repossess it when you go to transfer the title.

Both ways have risk.

Old April 12th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
That is some nice work there Juno. An inspiration to me that I might get mine right the first time.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #20
Jono

Quote:
heck, why not just keep the old frame and the title for the old frame as well? Then just cancel the insurance on the old frame, and don't re-register it ever. Register the new frame, and legally swap the license plate to it. That way there's really no questions later on.

I'm not a fan of trying to pull the wool over the gov't's eyes when it can really come back to bite me later on... if it's not registered to you, and not insured to you, that could put you in jail for a while/uninsured at the least.

This is what I was/probably am planning on doing.

I don't think it is worth the risk to save a few dollars. Tampering with a VIN is a felony and I don't think of myself as a criminal soooo, I am just going to go the legal route. I don't really want to have a criminal record. And cops around here can be real dicks. I am sure they would look at the VIN and notice it looks sketchy. Then see that I sanded off the old VIN. Then throw me in the back of their car to take me in.

Not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Renumbering a frame's VIN sounds like a terrible idea.
You'd be screwed if your bike ever gets totaled or stolen.
Agreed!

Quote:
If you swap titles and pay the $200 transfer fee, you are also assuming any baggage that comes with the new frame. Most likely, its from a totaled bike and that is on record somewhere. Carfax maybe? It might even be a salvage title which is the worst. The absolute worst case is if their turns out to be a delinquent bank loan on the donor bike and they come and repossess it when you go to transfer the title.

Both ways have risk.

The frame has a clean title and was notarized. So I should have no issues getting it transferred over. The guy I bought it from blew the engine and just decided to part out the bike. So it was never involved in any accidents.

Old April 12th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #21
drdriftking007
Drdriftking007

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

WOW!!! Looking good!

We have the same bike!!! Where are you getting your fairings at?
drdriftking007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #22
n4mwd

Here is the link to the US code of regulations regarding VIN tampering.

The way I read it, as long as you didn't steal either frame, your OK, but if you stole it, you're screwed.

You decide for yourself....

Old April 12th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #23
Jono

Quote:
Here is the link to the US code of regulations regarding VIN tampering.

The way I read it, as long as you didn't steal either frame, your OK, but if you stole it, you're screwed.

You decide for yourself....

Yeah I read it the same as you. But I am still not sure. It is hard to understand that 'law talk'.

Maybe I should ask the county clerks office?? I don't really know who I would ask.

"(B) a person who repairs such vehicle or part, if the removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration is reasonably necessary for the repair;"

I am the person repairing the bike and I believe the alteration is necessary. But how can I prove that. I am only saying this so I don't have to register the new frame and get new insurance. Is that reasonably necessary? Probably not? Idk.

I bought both bikes and have the title for both. So they are not stolen. But the new frames title isn't in my name. But I have signed the title so it is mine.

I mean I wouldn't have to get that title put in my name would I? Cause that would defeat the purpose of even swapping the VIN.

Old April 12th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #24
n4mwd

Quote:
I mean I wouldn't have to get that title put in my name would I? Cause that would defeat the purpose of even swapping the VIN.

You might try calling a dealer or body shop to see what they say.

You also might consider your abilities to change the VIN properly. If you can't do it without making a mess, then you're better off just swapping titles.

Old April 13th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #25
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Quote:
You might try calling a dealer or body shop to see what they say.

You also might consider your abilities to change the VIN properly. If you can't do it without making a mess, then you're better off just swapping titles.
Or contact your state DMV central office title bureau. They should tell you what you need to do to get a legit title to get you started on insuring and re registering the 'new' bike. And don't call youre local office. Try to contact the main office.
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #26
Jono

Custom gauges

UPDATE:

Today I went to Lowes and bought a few things to rig up a mount for my gauges. I decided a while back I was going to use cans that fit the speedo and tach perfectly. It took a while to actually make the mount. I used 1/8"x1/2" aluminum. The cans are bolted together in the middle and are also attached by a angled piece of aluminum. What holds the cans are the two bolts that hold on the ignition. I had to drill out those bolts when I swapped triple trees and it worked great to hold the gauges on.

So yeah... here are some pics. It is not finished by any means but the hard part is done. I just need to sand and paint. Then hot glue the gauges in the cans. I will move the headlight a wee bit higher.

Old April 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #27
n4mwd

Please tell me this is just temporary until you can get your plastics repaired.

Quote:

Old April 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #28
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Those look great Jono! Have you thought about painting them black?

also, how are those gauges going to fair in the rain? is there anything covering them?

Old April 14th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #29
Jono

Quote:
Please tell me this is just temporary until you can get your plastics repaired.

Ha NO! I am not repairing the fairings. They were beyond repairable. Plus I was never a fan of the front of the stock bike. Plus used fairings that I would need would cost +$150. That is a waste of money in my mind. Especially because I will probably crash again.

I am sorry you don't approve of the look. Be happy it isn't your bike.

Quote:
Those look great Jono! Have you thought about painting them black?

also, how are those gauges going to fair in the rain? is there anything covering them?

Yes they will be painted black. I said in my post I wasn't close to being done with them. And they are just loosely sitting in the cans right now. That is why they are not straight and such. Gosh. And I am thinking of painting the headlight bucket white to match the bike. The bike is going to be white soon.

Hmmm. I try to avoid riding in the rain. If fact I have only been caught in the rain twice. I always check the weather forecast before I ride.

Nothing is covering them and I don't think I will cover them. I don't know how I could cut a CD case cover in a perfect circle. Any ideas?

And if the weather does destroy them. No worries. I have a nice complete stock gauge cluster I bought off ebay for $10 bucks! So yeah. haha

Old April 14th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #30
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The would look great in white and black.

why not try and use the oem clear bubbly covers that are in the oem gauges? those are just the right size and might work.

Definitely get them covered. They're going to be toast the first time they see any water, no matter how hard you try to keep out of the rain.

Old April 14th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #31
Jono

Quote:
The would look great in white and black.

why not try and use the oem clear bubbly covers that are in the oem gauges? those are just the right size and might work.

Definitely get them covered. They're going to be toast the first time they see any water, no matter how hard you try to keep out of the rain.

Well I was thinking of using the OEM clear cover but I would have to cut them. It is one big piece of plastic. It just wouldn't work. I think I can do it with a CD case. I will figure it out.

Old April 14th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #32
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Oh, I never thought they might be all connected as one big piece of plastic... derp.

well let us know how that goes! You might be able to use CD case plastic with some small L brackets into the cans, just make the CD case circle larger than the diameter of the gauge so you can screw it in through the L bracket.

Old April 14th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #33
Jono

OH I have an idea!

Whenever I have time to mess around with it I'll let everyone know how it works.

Old April 14th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #34
n4mwd

If you can rebuild that whole thing like you did, then you can repair the plastic. See the videos...

Link to original page on YouTube.

An alternative to plastifix is JB-weld.

If you want custom body panels, you can make your own using this technique:

Old April 14th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #35
n4mwd

Quote:
I am sorry you don't approve of the look. Be happy it isn't your bike.
Don't worry about my feelings, worry about how your bike feels.

Sorry if that offends you. Does it show that I'm not a big fan of "naked" Ninjas? I find it disrespectful to the bike.

Old April 14th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #36
Jono

Quote:
Don't worry about my feelings, worry about how your bike feels.

Sorry if that offends you. Does it show that I'm not a big fan of "naked" Ninjas? I find it disrespectful to the bike.

Thanks for all the info. Really. But my fairings were REALLY messed up. There were missing bits and pieces that are probably still along the road where I crashed. Like it was bad. Then the belly pan had multiply cracks and missing little bits of plastic as well. And then there is where the windscreen mounts... I was missing some critical pieces. It just was not easily possible to fix. Nor would it have been worth the time. See for yourself in the one and only pic I have of the real damage in my first post.

I just don't see the point in spending the money on used fairings that I would need. It would be like the cost of riding my bike for half a year. I would rather be riding a bike that is naked than not riding a bike. I bought the ninja to really learn to ride on. That is its main purpose. I don't really care what she looks like. Cause she still rides the same!

Just wait till I am finished with everything. I think you will decide that it doesn't look that bad. Well in my mind I see it looking nice. So hopefully it actually turns out well.

Old April 14th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #37
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

I wanna see a pic of the whole bike in one shot from the side. I can't really base an opinion on it. For what I had to look at I think it looks kinda cool. I absolutely hate the gauge cluster idea, really looks bad.
Of all the ninja 250's the pre gen looks the best nekkid. Seriously tho, looks good so far... Just get a different gauge like one big speedo, put the boots back on the forks and just cafe the thing out
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #38
n4mwd

Just how much plastic is left? I'd like to see a photo from the side as well.

Anyhow, Jono, you did an AWESOME job reconstructing your Ninja.

You refused to bend the old frame back into shape and bought a brand new one.

Your attention to mechanical detail was impressive.

Now, when you get to the most important part you are resorting to bailing wire and duct tape?

And you say you are probably going to wreck it again.

So can you at least say that you MIGHT put the proper plastics back on ONE day in the future? I mean, you never know when someone might dump them on you.

PS - You do realize that the resale value takes about an $800 dive without ALL the plastics?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 15th, 2012, 04:52 AM   #39
n4mwd

Also, you mentioned that you had insurance. Where have they been in all of this?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #40
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Yeah, def post up some full view pics. That looks great. Good job on it.
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote