ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #1
caineroad
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja SE

Turn off headlight?

Every time I start the bike, headlight turns on, is there a way to make it switch off, but I want to turn it back on when i need it? only leaving the tail on.

thanks
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #2
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Why? Planning some mischief?
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #3
caineroad
ninjette.org member

In case the battery died and I need to bump start it, and they are HID. They draw so much during initial start, better to have the bike running then turn them on

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #4
astricklin
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

It is required in most areas to have the headlight on at all times. This is why they are manufactured this way.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/moto...uickjumpCanada

Ontario
When on a highway at any time every motorcycle must have 2 lighted lamps, 1 white lamp on the front of the vehicle, and 1 red lamp on the rear of the vehicle.

A motorcycle with a side car must have at all times a lighted lamp on each side of the front of the vehicle.

Motorcycles manufactured prior to 1970 are required only to have lighted lamps at nighttime and other periods of poor visibility.

No person may ride on or operate a motorcycle or motor-assisted bicycle on a highway unless all riders are wearing a helmet that complies with the regulations and the chin strap of the helmet is securely fastened under the chin.

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #5
caineroad
ninjette.org member

Read my reply above, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
In case the battery died and I need to bump start it, and they are HID. They draw so much during initial start, better to have the bike running then turn them on

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #6
ShankD
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Rashaun

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Easiest way would be to wire in a switch.
Posted via Mobile Device
ShankD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #7
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

You could remove the headlight fuse. Or to deal with it on a regular basis, you could install a switch in the headlight wiring.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #8
astricklin
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Sorry, I was writing my post at the time, but I was simply providing an explanation as to why it was manufactured the way that it is.

You could easily wire in a switch, add it just before the plug to the bulb. I would make sure that it is well hidden or you may fail safety inspection if they find it. Also if you forget to turn it on, you may get pulled over.

http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...tent=CT2032230

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #9
caineroad
ninjette.org member

Good idea, thanks very much. Anyone know which wire I need to tap to make the switch?

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #10
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I thought the draw was less with HIDs than with halogens.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:38 AM   #11
caineroad
ninjette.org member

I heard is quite a lot of draw initially powering up. But is also good for bump starting the bike in case battery dies (happens a lot on bikes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I thought the draw was less with HIDs than with halogens.

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #12
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

I don't think the relay for the lights pulls in until the alternator is spinning and the starter is off (I think). So the lights shouldn't be a drain until you are up and running.

But, to answer your question, you could install a rocker switch on the headlight circuit. BL/Y wire coming off of the relay would do it.

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #13
caineroad
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5 View Post
I don't think the relay for the lights pulls in until the alternator is spinning and the starter is off (I think). So the lights shouldn't be a drain until you are up and running.

But, to answer your question, you could install a rocker switch on the headlight circuit. BL/Y wire coming off of the relay would do it.
BL is blue or black? Lol

Thanks!

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #14
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

Quote:
BL is blue or black? Lol

Thanks!
Blue with a yellow stripe

BL=Blue
BK=Black

PS - I am not a trained motorcycle mechanic (just in case the wiring harness melts and the 250 bursts into flames)

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #15
caineroad
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5 View Post
Blue with a yellow stripe

BL=Blue
BK=Black
Thank bud. Thanks everyone else also!! I can't believe how fast the response I got from here! I love Ninja!

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I thought you always cut the red wire? Ignore that, I just wanted to use the smiley. lol
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #17
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Yeah, little toggle switch should get you what you need.

as an aside...

When looking at the fine details of the wiring harness, I noticed that there is a wire on some models for a "city light". US models don't have this but if you look into the headlight space (obviously with the lights off) you'll see a small flat disk right in the top middle between the bulbs. This is where the city light is on other models.

The wiring guide I have shows that light comes on with the ignition (hence why I wanted to tap into it) so I poked around on the net. Apparently some other countries have laws where the headlight cannot be used in the city (the argument being cities are bright enough no light is needed???) and so they have the ability to turn off the headlight, leaving only this little city light on.

How I do not know but some bikes can do it stock.

I want that city light, or at least the wire for it. LOL
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #18
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
ask @rojoracing53 about his headlights. He has dual retrofit in his, I don't think he's mentioned power issues.

HID's draw more current (more power at same voltage= more current) at start up, but they're always going to use the same voltage that your bike supplies. However, they use less current during steady state, which is how they're able to only require 35W at 12V. P=IV. The headlight relay on the bike won't power the headlight until after you've let off the starter button and the engine is turning, so it's really a non-issue anyway.

If you do want to turn them off, you'll need to run the wires through a relay that's good for whatever amperage the fuse in your HID harness is rated for, and control the relay trigger with a toggle switch somewhere. You won't be able to run the power for the lights through a switch, unless you get a really heavy duty switch, which will cost you $$$

EDIT: I think Red5 is right, you should be able to use a toggle switch on the trigger wire going to the stock headlight relay without worry of too much current. I'm personally not a fan of cutting into the stock relay though. Too much money if you mess up.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #19
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
If you can't bump start your because of your headlights being on then you suck at bump starting, sorry but its the truth. Actually ill need someone to comfirm this for me but I think the headlights don't get the go ahead to turn on until the motor is already running. Its just a half second delay but its enough so that they aren't a factor during bump starts.

I've got so much electronic **** hooked up to my bike that has live power going to it 100% of the time that my bike won't last a week without its battery going dead. But then again I'm still on my original 2009 battery that I've brought back from the dead 3 times because I forgot to turn something off and left it over the weekend.

Last time my battery was so dead the glow LEDs in my cigarette port and my led dash lights wouldn't even flicker. I rolled the bike downy driveway 5 times vector it would even start to sputter and on the 8th time it fired up. Ride for 30 mins then battery tender for the night and all was fully charged in the morning.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #20
Supraman
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Matias

Motorcycle(s): 12' Kawasaki Ninja EX250R SE

Quote:
Every time I start the bike, headlight turns on, is there a way to make it switch off, but I want to turn it back on when i need it? only leaving the tail on.

thanks
My motorcycle is just like that u.u' the low beam dosn't turn on and I have to drive with high beam. But is because I recently I crush my bike. I ill' check it right now I was searching some information about.
Bye
Supraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #21
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

I put a toggle in my low beam, so I can still flash to pass or flip on the high beam if I need light quick.

Mostly for my heated jacket/gloves. No reason to burn 65w if I don't need it on.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #22
Xtina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Christina

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2007 Gsxr 600, R6-sold :(

I think the question that should be addressed is why do you need to bump start so often? Sounds like you have a faulty stator or ****** battery. Putting a switch on the headlight seems like a bandaid solution and irrelevant since the headlights don't kick in til the motor is running.
Xtina is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 13th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #23
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
I put a toggle in my low beam, so I can still flash to pass or flip on the high beam if I need light quick.
I thought the passing button was stock? or are you talking about something different?
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #24
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I thought the passing button was stock? or are you talking about something different?
I'm talking about the stock flash to pass button. It still works the high beam when I have the low beam off.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #25
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
I'm talking about the stock flash to pass button. It still works the high beam when I have the low beam off.
oh ok, that makes more sense then.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #26
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Why not just reach up and unplug the bulb when you need to bump it? How often do you really run into this problem? it doesn't take any tools

Old February 13th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #27
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtina View Post
I think the question that should be addressed is why do you need to bump start so often? Sounds like you have a faulty stator or ****** battery. Putting a switch on the headlight seems like a bandaid solution and irrelevant since the headlights don't kick in til the motor is running.
Amen.