ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #1
JokerSeven
Ride it like you stole it

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '04 R6(sold)

Are you Brand Loyal ? Why ??

Simple Question...
Are you brand Loyal when it comes to riding gear?
Do you always buy the same brand jackets, helmets, gloves. What keeps you coming back ?

Latley for me its Icon. Sure, they make really nice high quality gear. I like the brand and the company's approach to doing business.The St. Christiopher Medallion in their jackets is an example.
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/29apr...cononabike.htm
JokerSeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #2
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Sidi boots. They've saved me broken ankles.
Shoei helmets. They've saved me cracked skulls and they feel good.
I'm open as far as other equipment.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I am realy not brand loyal. I have a Joe Rocket and a Teknic jacket. I usualy make my decision based quality, protection and price.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Fraja
ninjette.org member

Name: Fraja

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

I would like to think that all brands today share the minimun quality level and I will be ok buying anything from them.
Anyway, for sure, that we identify ourselves with a brand x or y based on the company mission or style this is my opnion.
I dont have just one favorite brand, i have two or 3. (alpinestar, shoei, teknic).

F.
Fraja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #5
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I'm not brand-loyal in the slightest, with either riding gear or motorcycles.

I go to the shop, find what suits my needs, and buy it if I can afford it.

Old March 7th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #6
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
NO, I just like the best of everything.

Old March 7th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #7
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

Name: Seth

Motorcycle(s): 2003 YZF600R, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Partially, I have 2 icon jackets, icon boots, icon pants and a pair of icon gloves. I also have Cortech gloves and Teknic gloves. Speed & Strength Jacket and an A* jacket. My lids are a KBC and a Scorpion.

I basically get whatever's on clearance and comfortable. My SS Jacket was $27 shipped from Ebay. New with tags and it's an amazing jacket. Plain but I'm not all flashy

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Seanslides
Canyon Racer

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 09 GSXR600, 03 EX250

I have almost all Alpinestars gear for a few reasons. I get it way below retail, and their product line is huge. They make a lot of different stuff for a lot of different situations. I've got three of their jackets, a suit, SMX Plus boots, GP Pro gloves, Apex waterproof gloves (which are freakin amazing!) Maze gloves, SP-1 gloves, and SP-S gloves. I just picked up a pair of the Axiom jeans. They've got a lot of kevlar, and a pocket for knee protectors. The one issue I have with them is inconsistent sizing. One medium jacket may fit great, where as another medium jacket will be huge. Same deal with pants. I wear a 30 in most jeans comfortably, and the Axioms may be getting sent back to Parts Unlimited because they're pretty tight.

The next gloves I buy are without a doubt going to be the new Kushitani GP-R's.

http://www.kushitani.com/kushitani-w...lovesgpr6.html

Yeah, a little over 300 for a pair of gloves is a lot, but that's one thing I really don't wanna cheap out on.

I've been thinking about a pair of Sidis for a while or maybe a pair of Gaernes. The SMX Plus boots fit great, and they're super comfy but they're about worn out, and the right side toe slider likes to pop off.

I wear Arai helmets almost exclusively. I used to have an HJC AC-12 Carbon, but after a minor fall and a nasty concussion I decided that a Shoei or an Arai was probably a better way to go. Arais fit my head better, so that's what I wear.

For luggage I've got an Alpinestars Tech Aero backpack that I absolutely love, and a Cortech Sport Tail Pack that's pretty damn good too.

The one company I'll never ever buy from again is Icon. When I was new to bikes, I bought one of their cheesy back protector vests. They don't even make a size small enough to fit a 6' 160lb guy. At least not tight enough to stay in place like a good back protector should. My main beef with them is that because they don't go racing, there's no way for them to have the same knowledge about what works or doesn't that a company like Alpinestars, Dainese, Technic, or even Cortech has. They made a few suits and gave them to the magazine guys to try out. I'm pretty sure one was even used in the Isle of Man last year. But in their spring 2010 catalog they've got nothing you can put a set of pucks on. Oh, and most of their design just rubs me the wrong way.

I guess I would say I'm somewhat loyal to Alpinestars, but I'd like to think that it's just because it's the highest quality gear I can get a good deal on.
Seanslides is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #9
Keenan84
ninjette.org member

Name: Keenan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r Special Edition

Not bike related at all, but i am a Volcom SLUT. its really ridiculous.
Keenan84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #10
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I have a mix: Nolan and HJC Helmet, ICON Ballistic Nylon overpants, Firstgear leather lacket, Firstgear leather pants, River Road boots and gloves. I also use Cannondale Bicycle gloves and Carhartt work gloves. I have to say that I am not a fashion plate---just like to ride.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #11
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

I would love to have some brand loyalty so that, for once, I would have a matched set of gear, but no single company makes all the things that will fit me.

I've tried. I have the Newenough.com return department on speed dial.

Helmet I need a long oval headform, jackets a small with long sleeves, and pants slender waisted with long legs, boots small and narrow, gloves extra large with long fingers.

Right now that means HJC, Fieldsheer, Joe Rocket, Sidi, and Alpinstars, in that order.

Old March 8th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #12
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

I read ALOT of product reviews and it seems this day in age, about any Reputable Manufacterer is putting out a good product. Which usually leaves me trying to get the most for my $$$$. A good 3/4 of my gear is all Joe Rocket right now from jacket to boots. Helmet is KBC (was to good of a deal to pass). I do have some other brands though.... NewEnough.com can be the Devil when I get money in my pocket.
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #13
JokerSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnichols79us View Post
NewEnough.com can be the Devil when I get money in my pocket.
I know exactly what you mean

Old March 9th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #14
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

No...well...not really anyway. With jackets, gloves, boots, etc, I usually find the best quality item for the least amount of money....or I'll just splurge on whatever the hell fits the best. The helmet is another story, however. I currently have a Shark lid, and I honestly don't think I can wear anything else. I've tried on Shoei's, Scorpion's, Icon's, Arai's, AGV's, HJC's. The only helmet I like as much as the Shark is the Arai, but those helmets cost twice as much...and even then I don't like their visors as much as the Shark.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #15
Postiez
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Red '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan84 View Post
Not bike related at all, but i am a Volcom SLUT. its really ridiculous.
Volcom is awesome, I bought an $80 hoodie from them that sucked. Emailed them and they sent me 2 hoodies, a belt, a hat, and a wallet to make up for it.
Postiez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #16
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

None of my gear is by the same brand so far... but I suspect I'll become a Rev'it convert sooner or later. My new textile jacket is AWESOME.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #17
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

I buy the best fear I can afford, no matter the brand.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #18
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerSeven View Post
Simple Question...
Are you brand Loyal when it comes to riding gear?
Do you always buy the same brand jackets, helmets, gloves. What keeps you coming back ?

Latley for me its Icon. Sure, they make really nice high quality gear. I like the brand and the company's approach to doing business.The St. Christiopher Medallion in their jackets is an example.
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/29apr...cononabike.htm
Holy crap I found it in my leather Mercenary Hero jacket...I didnt know that

Old March 12th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #19
captlombardi
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): '09 EX250J, '01 CBR600F4i

i got a joe rocket meteor 4 jacket from a buddy for $30 and i guess that started me on joe rocket...now i have their ballistic 7.0 pants and the cheap atomic gloves. looking for winter gear i got the cortech tourmaster scarab gloves (AWESOME!) that have a molded knuckle protector and are gauntlet style so i think some better summer gloves are in order. i also happened to go with HJC for my first helmet and also got a 2nd for my gf as well. i'll be looking at cortech first for any more winter stuff i need and will probably stick with joe rocket on the rest.
captlombardi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #20
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jenn

Motorcycle(s): Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by miks View Post
I buy the best fear I can afford, no matter the brand.
I tend to buy my fear at discount or closeout only. I figure with all the different types of fear out there... i can find some pretty cheap somewhere.

hehehe... sorry.. couldn't help myself
jcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #21
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

One of the few details that seems to require brand loyalty is the zipper attachment of riding pants to the jacket. I haven't tested with multiple brands to see what brands' zippers work together, I've just taken the warning that all of the manufacturers give and kept it in mind when shopping. I guess as a result of that we've gotten a good sized collection of Joe Rocket jackets and pants. That, and the NewEnough factor.

As far as helmets, gloves and boots go; it depends on how well they fit, not what brand they are. For example, some brands of gloves do not work for me. (I do not have long, thin fingers!)

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #22
Davidb1986
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE green with Monster energy decals!!!

I like Sparx helmets and I have 2 Joe Rocket Jackets and 1 pair of Joe Rocket gloves, but after getting an Icon Merc Hero jacket I am getting the matching Merc Hero long gloves tomorrow. I have alpinestars s-mx 4 boots and love those so I'm hooked on Alpinestars boots after trying on serveral different brands and finally going with the S-MX 4 boots.
Davidb1986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #23
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
As far as helmets, gloves and boots go; it depends on how well they fit, not what brand they are. For example, some brands of gloves do not work for me. (I do not have long, thin fingers!)
+1. I have discovered that gloves from Joe Rocket fit my hands best, so I stay with them. Both my jackets are also Rockets.

Old March 12th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #24
JokerSeven

I go through phases where I like this & that. In the end I'm just a gear whore. Like I said in my first post, I'm on an Icon kick right now. Before that it was Joe Rocket and then Alpinestars. I agree with the comment about Joe Rocket gloves, they fit me great (pre oil incident).

Old March 13th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #25
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgirl View Post
I tend to buy my fear at discount or closeout only. I figure with all the different types of fear out there... i can find some pretty cheap somewhere.

hehehe... sorry.. couldn't help myself
Thats all I do, my statement doesn't mean I go out and drop $1000+ on a racing replica helmet, I always have a budget and I buy the best gear I can within that budget, might not be the most expensive stuff but its the best I get afford

Gotta' love them discount and special offers though

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #26
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
One of the few details that seems to require brand loyalty is the zipper attachment of riding pants to the jacket. I haven't tested with multiple brands to see what brands' zippers work together, I've just taken the warning that all of the manufacturers give and kept it in mind when shopping. I guess as a result of that we've gotten a good sized collection of Joe Rocket jackets and pants. That, and the NewEnough factor.

He's not kidding, takes up most of his closet. (Don't ask why I was in his closet ) And I have the same problem with gloves, when I bought my latest pair, I must have tried on a hundred different gloves, the sales lady at the gloves counter in Chapparelles (sp) was very patient with me.

I have several brands, (mostly Scorpion) Scorpion lid, I did have the scorpion cool hand mesh gloves, but for daily riding, I wore holes in them in less than a year. Scorpion Deuce overpants, JR mesh jacket and Icon reflective vest. Gloves now are Cortech Tourmaster Adrenaline, I think. Boots are standard issue army boots, yeah I know I need to get riding boots. I saw a program a few days ago about A* in Italy, interesting show about how they design and test all of their gear.

So for me, no brand loyalty. Looking to get a Triumph Daytona as my next bike in a few years, so no brand loyalty on bikes either.

nb

Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:14 PM   #27
toast
ninjette.org member

Name: Laurie

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

My helmet, two jackets, and pants are all Scorpion. (My gloves are TAP Moto, a local company and I have Sidi boors.)

It just turned out that Scorpion gear fits me the best (I am hard to fit being tall and female ) and I liked the integrated sun shield in the EXO-1000. The helmet I really wanted is an Arai but it was retailing for over $1000CDN when I was buying my gear. Between riding school, a bike, and all the gear I just couldn't do it (and multiply that all by two as my husband and I did the course and got our licenses and bikes at the same time!) I see that New Enough has it for a pretty good price now. Sigh.

I'm not brand-loyal for motorcycles. In fact, up until recently I never thought I'd own a Kawasaki! I've always loved the older CBRs (F2-F3) and the grey market CBR400RRs and VFR400s.

When I'm ready for something a little bigger I may look at something like the CBF600SA. I'm planning on keeping my Ninja for awhile though, so who knows what will be available?
toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:34 AM   #28
KTRacing38
2010 250 Cup Champion

Name: Kristy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R and 2007 Honda CR150F

I always buy Shoei helmets, but other than that, not so much. I love my Dainese boots for racing, but for street riding, they're a little stiff. I tend to end up buying more expensive stuff because it seems to fit the best! A lot more manufacturers are finally starting to get that guys and girls aren't the same, so more options are available to les femmes these days.

As for bikes, I've been all over the map! I currently have a Kawi, a Honda and a Yami!
KTRacing38 is offline   Reply With Quote